Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PASM Fault?

I'm having problems with PASM equipped Cayman S. My suspension seems to be very firm even in normal mode, but car is very susceptible to cross-winds and doesn't feel 'planted' mid corner, and has occasionally lurched sideways on the motorway. I'm taking it back to my OPC tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Is anyone else having similar problems? (I've already seen the messages in the Boxster Forum).

Re: PASM Fault?

My understanding is that when PASM fails, it defaults to 'Sport' mode, i.e. very firm ride.

My C4S's PASM failed last month and 'PASM failure' warning appeared on the instrument cluster. Porsche replaced the PASM control unit.

Also check your tyre pressure. My C4S was delivered with tyre pressure some 4-5 psi too high.

Quote:
    TV Man said:
    I'm having problems with PASM equipped Cayman S. My suspension seems to be very firm even in normal mode, but car is very susceptible to cross-winds and doesn't feel 'planted' mid corner, and has occasionally lurched sideways on the motorway. I'm taking it back to my OPC tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Is anyone else having similar problems? (I've already seen the messages in the Boxster Forum).

One of the first things they should check is wheel alignment.

Quote:
    TV Man said:car is very susceptible to cross-winds and doesn't feel 'planted' mid corner

Sounds familiar! First, see if you can give another PASM car a long test to compare. Also check tyre pressures (I guess you have already done that!) and alignment. I would be interested to know your ongoing observations.

My OPC reset the computer on Saturday and the car drove perfectly afterwards... ...for about 150 miles, and then it started to shake my fillings again.

However, they did reduce tyre pressure at the front which was a little high, and that has increased the stability.

Also my radio isn't working now...

Waiting for my OPC to call me back...

Sounds familiar! First, see if you can give another PASM car a long test to compare. Also check tyre pressures (I guess you have already done that!) and alignment. I would be interested to know your ongoing observations.

And yes, I tried another PASM equipped Cayman and it felt much better than mine, until my computer was reset.

TV Man, same with me. (Fine after reset, then comes back over 100 miles or so) Except mine goes soft rather than hard. Do you ever get a 'PASM Failure' message? (I don't).

If your dealer finds out what the problem is before mine, please post. Cheers!

Hi wtsnet,

No, I've never had a PASM fault message, and the computer diagnostic doesn't show any faults either, which, unfortunately, makes it much harder to find out what's going wrong.

As I understand it, if you drive the car very hard the PASM will adapt so that even the 'normal' setting gets firmer. I wonder if there is something wrong in the system which fools the car into thinking that I'm driving very hard all the time (I'm honestly not!)

Car is with PC Chiswick now so I'll post any progress.

Perhaps the valve in the dampers is sticking ?

Unlikely , sounds more electronic in nature

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Perhaps the valve in the dampers is sticking ?

Unlikely , sounds more electronic in nature

Replacement rear dampers on mine didn't fix, so I'm betting it's electronic - sensors or control unit. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Porsche Chiswick and Porsche Exeter have both driven the car and insist that there's nothing wrong. As ride is subjective it looks as though I'm just going to have to live with it.

Perhaps I was just expecting too much from the PASM system, but I'm disappointed that a Cayman S with PASM in normal mode is so much harder riding than my mk.1 Boxster S was.

I've also driven an normally suspended Cayman S which was much softer than my car.

I'm not convinced that my car is right, but there doesn't seem to be much more I can do.

Quote:
    TV Man said:
    Porsche Chiswick and Porsche Exeter have both driven the car and insist that there's nothing wrong. As ride is subjective it looks as though I'm just going to have to live with it.

Perhaps I was just expecting too much from the PASM system, but I'm disappointed that a Cayman S with PASM in normal mode is so much harder riding than my mk.1 Boxster S was.

I've also driven an normally suspended Cayman S which was much softer than my car.

I'm not convinced that my car is right, but there doesn't seem to be much more I can do.

From what I have read on here Porsche Centre Exeter should be avoided like the plague.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    From what I have read on here Porsche Centre Exeter should be avoided like the plague.

They have been better since my last visit, and to give them their due, have actually offered to swap components from a car in stock to try to trace the fault. Trouble is, I haven't had time, and I'm not 100% sure I trust them. Trust is earned as they say. I'll try to make time to make more progress on this from my end. 1000 miles ish since last fix attempt, and it's getting pretty ropey and unstable. By which I mean that I really don't want to have to avoid anything quickly! At least it still goes and stops well!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    They have been better since my last visit, and to give them their due, have actually offered to swap components from a car in stock to try to trace the fault.

Pity they won't swap the entire car after the grief you've had with PASM and their pitiful attempts at fixing it.

Well the Cayman is a harder ride than the 987Boxster, but my pasm'd 987S on 19s in normal mode is definitely softer than another 987S i drove on normal suspension and 19s. In fact i'd say its about the same as my old 986 was on 18s.

Yes, that's what I was expecting. That's certainly not the case with my Cayman. It's firmer with PASM and 18s, than a non PASM Cayman S I drove with 19s.

Pity help you in sport mode then !

In sport mode it's really horrible. But the difference in ride quality between 'sport' and 'normal' isn't that great. At least it isn't in my car. Which is part of what makes me think it isn't right.

Quote:
    TV Man said:But the difference in ride quality between 'sport' and 'normal' isn't that great.

Same with mine, except mine is soft, not hard. Missus.

Ok maybe its different on the Cayman, but when i switch back from sport to normal in the 987S its like a magic carpet ride in comparison to the bone jarring one in sport

See post on Boxster board for update situation on my Boxster.

My car is now going back to Porsche GB at Reading. I'll post up the results here when I hear back. If they still don't agree that there's a fault then I'll either sell the car, or pay for a new PASM control unit myself. Neither is an option that I'm particularly keen on.

Simple solution - sell the PASM car. Get a 997 coupe with normal or -20mm sports suspension. Nothing can beat a conventionally sprung car. I'm sure there isn't an enormous price difference between a Cayman S and a 997.

Quote:
    TV Man said:
    My car is now going back to Porsche GB at Reading. I'll post up the results here when I hear back. If they still don't agree that there's a fault then I'll either sell the car, or pay for a new PASM control unit myself. Neither is an option that I'm particularly keen on.

after reading your diagnosis of your PASM, I can't believe Porsche wont find a fault with your car. My Cayman (19 " wheels) is really smooth in normal mode and very stiff in sport mode. There is a huge difference between the two settings. There must be a fault with your system. I Hope they find the bug.

Quote:
    TV Man said:

Good luck! Have you been advised on the cost of a control-unit replacement?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    TV Man said:

Good luck! Have you been advised on the cost of a control-unit replacement?

No, but it can't be as much as the 5k hit that I'd take if I sold the car.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Simple solution - sell the PASM car. Get a 997 coupe with normal or -20mm sports suspension. Nothing can beat a conventionally sprung car. I'm sure there isn't an enormous price difference between a Cayman S and a 997.

Sadly I can't quite stretch to the 997, not without causing a divorce.

Quote:
    TV Man said:
    Sadly I can't quite stretch to the 997, not without causing a divorce.

and then you won't be able to afford even a toy car - trust me, I've been there.

See Boxster thread for update.
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...e=0&fpart=3

OK, deep breath, the Cayman has been off to Reading for a full check. Initially it was the usual, 'no fault found' rountine. But after direct comparison with another PASM equipped Cayman they decided that actually mine did feel different. They then came to the conclusion that the tyres might be to blame. Mine is on Bridgestones, the 'control' car was on Michelins. So they swapped them over and then my car ran much better. However, and this is the crux, at some point in the proceedings they disconnected my PASM system sensor and then reset everything.

Having now got my car back this morning, complete with Bridgestones back on it, the car feels really good. Which, if the tyres were at fault, it couldn't do. So the conclusion has to be that something had gone wrong with the PASM which has now been reset.

However, whether it will go wrong again, I have no way of knowing. Porsche West London, who, incidentally, have been extremely helpful about all this (big thumbs up to David Fellows) have told me to monitor progress and let them know how I get on over the next couple of weeks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM