Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Finally time to buy a car again, 997s or vantage

I just sold my bmw and i will be heading to the dealer monday to purchase my new car. I really love the look of the aston martin, but from what I read it doesnt out perform the 997s and it also has another 30k on top of the porsche.

my spec:
    arctic silver met
    black sport seats
    sport seat backs painted
    seat belts in guards red
    rear console in exterior color
    champion RS98 wheels 19s or 20s?
    TPMS
    sport chrono plus
    short shifter
    porsche crest in head
    door entry guards in saintless steel
    bose high end sound package
    thick steering wheel
    sport exhaust(PSE)

The thing that concerns me about the 997s is the fact that 2008 is coming up, and the porsche will visible change, and the vantage has recently came out and won't change for awhile. Also, does anyone know the wait time in south florida for a 997 turbo, im almost spending turbo money on the vantage, but i heard the wait could be awhile.

Re: Finally time to buy a car again, 997s or vantage

The AMV8 is so damn hot in person, that before driving it, I came to the conclusion that if it drives 80% of the S, I will buy one.

Then I drove it. After months on the wait list.

Holy crap what a disappointment. The only nice feature behind the wheel (from a dynamics standpoint) was the sound of the exhaust. Everything else was a disappointment: feel of the motor, acceleration, brakes, feel through the wheel, chassis. This is not a visceral car. In fact it comes across as fulfilling my worse fears: a tarted up ford.

You really need to drive one before getting too enamored with the car. It is for people who care to be seen more than driving.

Quote:
    Kozzoloz said:
    The thing that concerns me about the 997s is the fact that 2008 is coming up, and the porsche will visible change,...

Apologies for maybe not being able to contribute greatly to your specific post. I would however pick up on the highlighted point.

Are you that confident that there will be a major upgrade to the 997S for MY08 ? Is this a confirmed Porsche trend?

I'm new to things Porsche especially their corporate policies/trends and am awaiting delivery of my C4S.

thx frayed, im definitely more of a driver than a looks person. If the aston martin is how you say it is, then i don't want one

haku, from what i've read and seen, it seems if porsche is going to make changes it will be 2008.

If performance is the top priority then buy a 997. I would not wait for 2008 as who knows what Porsche will change if anything. I haven't seen anything in writting that says Porsche will make a change to the car in 2008. I know a lot of people think the 2008 will have the 997TT front end but who knows. I like the look of my 2006 997 so I see no value in a 2008 if they do change the front. Now if performance is not the top priority I would drive the vantage and see what you like. I have not driven one but I sure like the way it looks. Good luck with your decision.

kozz, you really have to drive one. Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
    Kozzoloz said:
    thx frayed, im definitely more of a driver than a looks person. If the aston martin is how you say it is, then i don't want one

Well Porsche's marketing is quite fickle and can introduce a change at the time least expected by owners like me. Just (more or less) 1.5 year into the introduction of the 987s they announced to throw in the Cayman S 3.4 into the 987s thus upsetting selected crowds from both. I suspect that my sales actually knew about it a long time ago. Lately, he said I shouldn't upgrade to a Cayman S because there would be a facelift and a power upgrade to the current 997 soon (I mean how soon I don't know but 2008 seems to be a reasonable time for a face lift considering that current 997 was introduced in 2004 and 4 years is roughly a good time for P to do something). Then again, they would never tell you right because then they can't sell any of the last models pre-face lift. They would churn out all current production and announce it probably end of this year or early next if I were to suspect anything.
    haku, from what i've read and seen, it seems if porsche is going to make changes it will be 2008. By the way, I can't speak for the US market or Euro market but coming from the Far East, I can only tell you that Aston Martins while being classy are cars you wanna be seen driving more... the James Bond thing is prominent over here but good luck with the resale is the real fact in HONG KONG

Quote:
    frayed said:
    The AMV8 is so damn hot in person, that before driving it, I came to the conclusion that if it drives 80% of the S, I will buy one.

Then I drove it. After months on the wait list.

Holy crap what a disappointment. The only nice feature behind the wheel (from a dynamics standpoint) was the sound of the exhaust. Everything else was a disappointment: feel of the motor, acceleration, brakes, feel through the wheel, chassis. This is not a visceral car. In fact it comes across as fulfilling my worse fears: a tarted up ford.

You really need to drive one before getting too enamored with the car. It is for people who care to be seen more than driving.

ditto. The Vantage is absolute sex on wheels . . . to look at. Unfortunately, it ain't so good in bed. I wanted it, I drove it, I'm getting a 997. Shame, she sure is gorgeous!!

Ditto.

I went through the same process and then drove it... they have a long way to go before winning over many Porsche drivers.

I totally agree with the point about the AMV8 disappointing. It isn't just the looks that make you expect more from its performance, it's the sound. That car sounds like armageddon is about to happen BUT then the actual performance delivered is 'tame' compared to how it sounds.

Even the Top Gear guys (who are notoriously pro-Aston Martin because it's a 'British' heritage brand - even though it's now owned by Ford!) thought its performance was disappointing compared to how it sounds.

Part of the problem is that (1) expectations were so high before it was launched, (2) the new Jaguar XKR is so much better (apart from the ugly front headlamps) and (3) during the pre-launch hype, Dr Ulrich Bez (CEO AM) kept saying that they tested it endlessly on the Nurburgring to get it perfect and that it is designed to be a 911 beater. In his dreams....

Although I like the look of the V8 I still like the DB9 more. Perhaps a more honest car than the V8 - a GT cruiser for continental journeys. Also didn't seem much like a Ford on the test drive!

Kozzoloz, wondering- at this point are you able to get the V8 Vantage for MSRP?

I saw my first AM V8 about a week ago, black with the caramel-colored leather.
    The front fenders on the Aston are absolutely voluptuous from any angle....but I remember thinking the same thing about the 997 when it came out two years ago, just that now I'm used it!

Almost put money down on a Vantage at my local dealership (sticker 123K) -- for that money, I'd go for a 997TT.

thx, for all your input, i doubt i would be able to pay MSRP for a vantage most of them seem to have the usual "marketing adjustment" and that being the case, i would have to go for the turbo. I think i will just stick with the 997s, there is no mystery about that car, i know ill love it and never regret it.

Now my only worry is deciding on silver or black...

BLACK!

How about the Maser Gransport? Just got something in the mail from maser yesterday and it looks pretty sweet. If you were looking at AM, maybe give this a look. I agree about the price of the AM - just get the TT.

black or basalt black metallic?

differences? which is better?

BLACK!

Basalt has elements of gray under some lights....like a teenager with glitter spray on her face...

aj you perv

Porsche is the save bet. Run with the crowd and be like everyone else. Also, using the performance advantage/feeling with the Porsche will be fun assuming you can find a place to use it.

When you drive off with your new Porsche keep a this image in your mind.
    I look like all other Porsche's and I just lost about $10,000 simply by driving it off the showroom floor.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Porsche is the save bet. Run with the crowd and be like everyone else. Also, using the performance advantage/feeling with the Porsche will be fun assuming you can find a place to use it.

When you drive off with your new Porsche keep a this image in your mind.
    I look like all other Porsche's and I just lost about $10,000 simply by driving it off the showroom floor.

I thought Nick would miss this thread

Hi Nick

Hi, Nick. I'm amused by the "get a Porsche, be like everyone else.." comment. Well, let's see... assuming 300 million Americans:

-In the year 2005, One out of 61 Americans drove home in a brand new General Motors car.

-In the year 2005, One out of 28,210 Americans drove home in a brand new Porsche 911.
    He11, everyone's got one!!!

Speaking of depreciation, hopefully someone can answer this question: if someone buys a slightly used F430 for $30K over original MSRP, do insurance companies have any problem with insuring for the full purchase price, even if that amount exceeds the official MSRP of the car? how would depreciation over several years be accounted for on an F430 or on a Ford GT for instance-- in the event that the car is totaled-- with the real market values of such a car swinging up and down in a volatile, unconventional pattern?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Porsche is the save bet. Run with the crowd and be like everyone else. Also, using the performance advantage/feeling with the Porsche will be fun assuming you can find a place to use it. ...

The above quote is quite revealing... Nick clearly confesses that his aim in life is to stand out in the crowd, i.e., be a poseur, and... concedes that Porsche really has a performance advantage, and that he is resigned to an F430 poseur car because he cannot "find a place to use [Porsche's] performance advantage," anyway!

I passed on the first Florida Delivery of the Vantage after hearing all of the negative feedback on the web from new owners. I waited almost 2 years for the damn thing and ended up buying a Carrera S.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Hi, Nick. I'm amused by the "get a Porsche, be like everyone else.." comment. Well, let's see... assuming 300 million Americans:

-In the year 2005, One out of 61 Americans drove home in a brand new General Motors car.

-In the year 2005, One out of 28,210 Americans drove home in a brand new Porsche 911.

Speaking of depreciation, hopefully someone can answer this question: if someone buys a slightly used F430 for $30K over original MSRP, do insurance companies have any problem with insuring for the full purchase price, even if that amount exceeds the official MSRP of the car? how would depreciation over several years be accounted for on an F430 or on a Ford GT for instance-- in the event that the car is totaled-- with the real market values of such a car swinging up and down in a volatile, unconventional pattern?

Very good point indeed.
    Additionally, once the F-car unobtainium evaporates-and it will, the 430's value will take a significant drop, like any other car. I'd hate to be the guy who paid 30-50k over msrp, only to have to suffer a much more harsh fall. Love the 430, but in the end, we all suffer the same fate.

Quote:
    jeru said:
    I passed on the first Florida Delivery of the Vantage after hearing all of the negative feedback on the web from new owners. I waited almost 2 years for the damn thing and ended up buying a Carrera S.

Oh no, you had to settle for a Carrera S

<sniff sniff>

If you enjoy driving..... The Porsche

Did you see the Car & Driver comparison? They preferred the Aston over the 997S. They actually preferred the ride and handling of the Aston. The article may be on their website.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    How about the Maser Gransport? Just got something in the mail from maser yesterday and it looks pretty sweet. If you were looking at AM, maybe give this a look. I agree about the price of the AM - just get the TT.

I got something too. The Grand Sport CONVERTIBLE.
    Pretty nice but the new Maser is coming out.

I was at an AM Dealer (the new Miller on Northern in Roslyn Long Island) Saturday. They had 2 new Vantages in the showroom. Also had a DB9 Convertible that I sat in. Nice cars but more for when I'm older. For $120k I agree the turbo is so much more car for the money than the Vantage. The DB9 convertible stickered at $193k. Porsche's are more driver's cars, the AM's are beautiful but more GT'ish.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

Very good point indeed.
    Additionally, once the F-car unobtainium evaporates-and it will, the 430's value will take a significant drop, like any other car. I'd hate to be the guy who paid 30-50k over msrp, only to have to suffer a much more harsh fall. Love the 430, but in the end, we all suffer the same fate.

Mint 360 spider's are still selling over sticker. So are low mileage cherry Stradale's and we're almost midway into the next model's (430) production cycle. 430's will continue selling over msrp at least until mid-end of life for the NEXT model probably further. Somewhere around 2012 and even then the 430 will at least hold it's msrp value. Very possible mint 360 spiders will still be selling at premiums 2 models later, the chances of 430 Spiders dropping below MSRP in the pre-owned market even way into the next model are probably nill. The Spider's value will be even stronger. And the next model launched in 2009 will continue the 8cyl Ferrari trend in the US selling at huge pre-owned premiums. As long as they continue the current marketing and sales of new 8cyl models every 5 years and the world economy doesn't collapse it looks like the trend will continue. I know people that put down deposits for 360 spiders 4 years ago and STILL don't have cars and from everything I'm seeing it's only getting harder to procure a new 8cyl car at msrp, anyone in the US that's tried can attest to that.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM