Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Turbo tested on Fifth Gear next week (UK)

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=410

Quote: "Jason Plato takes his first test drive in a car he's actually already ordered - the new Porsche 911 Turbo. The most powerful production Porsche ever has a massive 480 bhp, will do 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds and has a top speed of 193 mph. But with options like adaptive sports seats and carbon brakes, this car costs a whopping Pounds106,740. That's nearly 50 grand more than a basic 911. Can it possibly be worth it?"

So if Jason has ordered it then I would guess he's going to give a great review!!!

Re: New Turbo tested on Fifth Gear next week (UK)

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

So if Jason has ordered it then I would guess he's going to give a great review!!!

Nice way of thinking...

Well the Turbo Press car I saw at OPC Reading (Porsche GB headquarters) was the same colour as the car in the preview clip this week, so I am guessing it's the same one that I saw about 4 weeks ago.

The car I saw was a manual transmission so slightly slower than the Tip but I think a race-car-driver like Jason would prefer a manual anyway.

Let's see what kind of power slides he can pull off. He got really angry with the Gallardo SE when he drove it on a track as the electronic wizardry couldn't be completely switched off like in a F430 say. It was continually messing up his power slides round corners, it totally put him off the Lambo

Another guy from the show (Tom - not a proper race driver) reviewed the Turbo and concluded it was insanely fast but a bit soulless...

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?...tion=&show=

So it will be interesting to see Jason's take...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Another guy from the show (Tom - not a proper race driver) reviewed the Turbo and concluded it was insanely fast but a bit soulless...

What's the deal with Tom Ford anyway. He works for Fifth Gear on-screen, but writes for Top Gear Magazine - the "competitor", at least on tv. How is that possible

I read his review of the 997 Turbo in Top Gear, very entertaining as usual. Especially the part about the race with a GSX-R 1100

He's freelance.

Tom ford is a pretty clueless driver though,not the man to review a sports car...he'd much rather be wafting around in an s class.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=410

Quote: "Jason Plato takes his first test drive in a car he's actually already ordered - the new Porsche 911 Turbo. The most powerful production Porsche ever has a massive 480 bhp, will do 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds and has a top speed of 193 mph. But with options like adaptive sports seats and carbon brakes, this car costs a whopping Pounds106,740. That's nearly 50 grand more than a basic 911. Can it possibly be worth it?"

man thats only like 20k cheaper than the Ferrari F430 similarly equiped..thats crazy expensive there...

in US the price difference is 50% more(in reality its 100%+ because of the gready dealers)

I dont know its too much money i think for this car..US price are still tolerable..135k practically fully loaded..

Yup, I just used the Porsche config to create a TT with similar specs to my Carrera S Cab and it came out at Pounds107k, that's $197k in USD given todays exchange rate!!!

The same car when done though the US Config came out at $138k. That means it cost us an extra $60k here in the UK for the same car.

Doesn't the 107k pounds include a 15-16% VAT? If so this should be pulled out to get a comparable USD i.e 170USD. Still very high. Are the other sales taxes in the UK?

Yes prices are very high in Europe (not including countries such as Greece and Denmark). I remember paying 133k euros or 170kUS (spain) for a nicely equipped cayenne turbo back in 04.

Quote:
    Uber-porker said:
    Doesn't the 107k pounds include a 15-16% VAT? If so this should be pulled out to get a comparable USD i.e 170USD. Still very high. Are the other sales taxes in the UK?

Pounds107k includes 17.5% VAT (applied to any luxury goods ie. most things other than food etc). Then we would have to pay delivery, road tax (~Pounds200), registration costs and insurance to pay on top before we can drive away with the new car.

Are you saying the US price I arrived at was pre-tax?

An F430 new starts at ~Pounds118k I believe, although in reality I guess you would be paying Pounds130k given the demand.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Yup, I just used the Porsche config to create a TT with similar specs to my Carrera S Cab and it came out at Pounds107k, that's $197k in USD given todays exchange rate!!!

The same car when done though the US Config came out at $138k. That means it cost us an extra $60k here in the UK for the same car.

Need to also consider that a "frugal" US buyer will prob simply opt to get new 997TT w/a $0 down, 3 yr lease (often most sales tx-, mtce cost- and capital-efficient approach)....enjoy car extensively for 3yrs (w/no need for costs of a separate daily driver)...and then get a new copy w/yet another $0 down lease....

In an era of cheap, $0 down leases, many drivers of new P/F/MB in US have never had the archaic experience of actually purchasing a car....

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Uber-porker said:

Pounds107k includes 17.5% VAT (applied to any luxury goods ie. most things other than food etc). Then we would have to pay delivery, road tax (~Pounds200), registration costs and insurance to pay on top before we can drive away with the new car.

An F430 new starts at ~Pounds118k I believe, although in reality I guess you would be paying Pounds130k given the demand.

430s in US are a "special" case....for those who are repeat F buyers and can easily get new copies @MSRP, one can drive a new 430 every yr for minimal costs, as resale value is 100%+....seemingly cheap, but the reality is, aside from retirees, 99% of guys can't drive 430 daily w/o various "envy" costs/image issues at office, so need to factor in costs of also driving a more conventionally depreciating P/MB commuter car....

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    [Are you saying the US price I arrived at was pre-tax?

You haven't done any shopping in the USA, Alex.

Every item you might buy in a store there, including supermarkets, clothing stores, restaurents or Starbucks, is marked with its net price. You only see the "real" price when you get to the checkout counter, and a tax of maybe 6% or 7% is added to the total. That would even be illegal in Europe.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Uber-porker said:

Base F430 is now Pounds122.5K (including VAT) on the road and with F1 gearbox its Pounds128K

Quote:
    VKSF said:In an era of cheap, $0 down leases, many drivers of new P/F/MB in US have never had the archaic experience of actually purchasing a car....

What does this equate to on a monthly basis for a 997TT?

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:In an era of cheap, $0 down leases, many drivers of new P/F/MB in US have never had the archaic experience of actually purchasing a car....

For 3yr, 15K mi/yr, $0 down lease on a $150K (loaded) 997TT, roughly $2500/mo.....variables incl one's credit rating, implicit interest rate from dealer/lease broker, each US state's variant sales tx calc for leases, etc etc....

Suspect that if one were to roughly calc total mthly ownership costs of getting new 997TT every yr ($0 down, 5yr lease; trade-in annually and pay off lease bal) vs keeping a 997TT for entire 3 yrs of a lease, delta is prob <$1000/mo....w/various favorable factors helping those who annually lease a new 997TT, such as "most favored customer" purchasing discts and better trade-in values from dealer; lower mtce costs, etc....

IMO a trivial delta esp when considering sheer driving&aesthetic pleasure of a new, more debugged/refined iteration of 997TT w/latest factory-spec options (like PK, PSE, etc) every yr....and not having to live w/the inevitable stone chips, rattles, semi-worn tires/brakes, mtce downtime, etc of any car w/>15K mis.....the era of the efficiently/affordably-financed, daily-usable, annually-disposable, rapidly obsolescent sportscar certainly seems to have arrived in US....

Really impressive how cheap and effective today's cars are when one considers what a Turbo's total ownership/leasing costs were back in '91 in similar annual/every 3 yr replacement scenarios....and what that '91 Turbo's N-ring time, daily commuting usability, active&passive safety and mtce downtime were back in the "good old days"....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:

For 3yr, 15K mi/yr, $0 down lease on a $150K (loaded) 997TT, roughly $2500/mo.....variables incl one's credit rating, implicit interest rate from dealer/lease broker, each US state's variant sales tx calc for leases, etc etc....

Suspect that if one were to roughly calc total mthly ownership costs of getting new 997TT every yr ($0 down, 5yr lease; trade-in annually and pay off lease bal) vs keeping a 997TT for entire 3 yrs of a lease, delta is prob <$1000/mo....w/various favorable factors helping those who annually lease a new 997TT, such as "most favored customer" purchasing discts and better trade-in values from dealer; lower mtce costs, etc....

IMO a trivial delta esp when considering sheer driving&aesthetic pleasure of a new, more debugged/refined iteration of 997TT w/latest factory-spec options (like PK, PSE, etc) every yr....and not having to live w/the inevitable stone chips, rattles, semi-worn tires/brakes, mtce downtime, etc of any car w/>15K mis.....the era of the efficiently/affordably-financed, daily-usable, annually-disposable, rapidly obsolescent sportscar certainly seems to have arrived in US....

Really impressive how cheap and effective today's cars are when one considers what a Turbo's total ownership/leasing costs were back in '91 in similar annual/every 3 yr replacement scenarios....and what that '91 Turbo's N-ring time, daily commuting usability, active&passive safety and mtce downtime were back in the "good old days"....

Thanks - completely agree with your analysis. Wish it was similarly priced in the UK!

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:

Thanks - completely agree with your analysis. Wish it was similarly priced in the UK!

Interestingly, know several astute American financiers, who are car nuts, yet have chosen to settle in Lond, rather than NYC, despite Lond's far more expensive cars and, far more importantly, 75-100% pricier houses...

Their logic, which I can't fault, is that both NYC and Lond are very sportscar-unfriendly in terms of lack of acceptable parking, undgd garages@home/office, illogical speed enfcmt, stifling traffic, etc, but Lond is a short enough flt to Munich to buy a frequently usable wkend house to keep their favorite cars w/some of world's best roads nearby, as well as easily accessed, decent food/wine of Fr/It/Sw....

In NYC's case, one has to sit on a plane for 6 hrs to reach either Germany/CA, places w/sportscar-friendly roads and speed enfcmt patterns....

Astute American financiers who are sent to the UK by their employer often get cost of living adjustments to cover things like housing, and also may get car allowances. This latter is another reason why cars are more expensive in some European countries ... when someone else is paying, why haggle the price?

guys, think anyone can record the show and share with me

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Astute American financiers who are sent to the UK by their employer often get cost of living adjustments to cover things like housing, and also may get car allowances. This latter is another reason why cars are more expensive in some European countries ... when someone else is paying, why haggle the price?

Yes and no.....US investment banks provide some increm housing allowance for jr guys in Lond to get a NYC-equiv tenement apt (w/no air cond), but no car allowance.....but 99%+ of the junior guys in Lond (as in NYC) don't own a car and primarily use mass transit.....

More senior (typ 30-something yo) hedgies/pvt equity guys who choose Lond over NYC are on their own for paying for the more expensive Lond W End houses; their sportscars or limo/driver for Lond commuting; and their copters to bypass traffic to get to a Lond airport...and NetJets/equiv to get to their wkend houses on Continent.....o/w the more "frugal" characters will be paying for their own cabs in Lond and flying commercial to their motel getaway on The Continent

In many ways, high-end cost of living is signif higher in Lond than in NYC, but many argue that car nuts in Lond have much closer and more civilized places to play w/their toys than do their NYC counterparts....

And a few car nut NYC financiers have "emigrated" to SF over past 10 yrs, to live in a "poor man's version" of Munich for car enthusiasts....however, w/much better weather.....

VKSF please don't take too much offense to this but after reading many of your posts and notice that they all go a little something like this:

Most 30 something/hedgies/trust fund/senior guys/equity gus/(rich people) who live in Greenwich/London/SF/Woodside/NYC drive new 0 down/3yr lease SL65/997tt/599gtb b/c they can't drive new Lam/F to work w/o angering their boss/superiors. In fact most drive old dusty CL/S class or have town car/limo w/driver for work while most rich non-car guys have F/P car for wkends/dinner w/wife etc. Also have private jets/helo + wkend home in Hamptons/munich for toys...

-No offense meant I just thought I could do a good impression

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    And a few car nut NYC financiers have "emigrated" to SF over past 10 yrs, to live in a "poor man's version" of Munich for car enthusiasts....however, w/much better weather.....

And our food beats their Bratwurst 9 times out of 10!

Although the road to Napa is not as exciting as through the Alps...

VK, I love reading your posts, very informative/entertaining

Damn, trip beat me to it!

Not bad, Trip. However, you still have too many vowels and not enough emoticons. Try this...

Quote:
    trip said:
    Mst 30-some hedgies/trust fnd/snr guys/equity guys/(rich people) who live in Grnwich/Lndn/SF/Wdside/NYC drive new 0 dwn/3yr lease M/P/F et al b/c they can't drive new L/F to wrk w/o angerin their bss/speriors. In fact mst drv old dsty CL/S clss or have twn car/limo w/drvr for wrk while mst rich non-car guys have F/P car fr wkends/dnr w/wife and/or mistress(s) etc., etc., Also hv prvate jets/helo + wkend home in Hamptons/munich fr toys...

Quote:
    WR said:
    guys, think anyone can record the show and share with me

I'm sure Coochas will have it on his site soon after broadcast!

http://coochas.com/porsche/coochas-911videos.html

If not try Final Gear website (think you need a Bit Torent download program to get these though):

http://www.finalgear.com/

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Not bad, Trip. However, you still have too many vowels and not enough emoticons. Try this...

Quote:
    trip said:
    Mst 30-some hedgies/trust fnd/snr guys/equity guys/(rich people) who live in Grnwich/Lndn/SF/Wdside/NYC drive new 0 dwn/3yr lease M/P/F et al b/c they can't drive new L/F to wrk w/o angerin their bss/speriors. In fact mst drv old dsty CL/S clss or have twn car/limo w/drvr for wrk while mst rich non-car guys have F/P car fr wkends/dnr w/wife and/or mistress(s) etc., etc., Also hv prvate jets/helo + wkend home in Hamptons/munich fr toys...

That's hilarious... but the sad part is... it sounds just like one of his/her posts.

His posts are fine. Why pick on him?

No one's picking on him...

It's just that almost every post of his is a near carbon-copy.
    It discusses what the wealthy/wanna-be wealthy should or should not be doing/living. And of course how cheap and inexpensive vehicles that cost less than 300K are... and of course the obligatory "one should be leasing a new TT/SL65 AMG each and every year of their life"

In other words the posts are pompous and a bit exaggerated... for one... any person that is wealthy enough doesn't need to even be commuting.

There are a lot of guys on this board that could be considered pretty wealthy. Putting on airs here isn't necessary. We're here because we like sports cars, not because we need to tell everyone how rich we are.

I don't think anyone meant to insult anyone. It's just easy to make fun of since the posts are so redundant. (much like Nick's posts, but at least I know Nick's reasons for posting what he posts)

Exactly

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688371 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408639 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234736 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857517 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM