Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Montoya to NASCAR

WOW!!! That is huge news!

sure is...

hope Montoya drinks watered down U.S. beer. (not including Yuengling in this).

He should contend with Ricky Bobby next year for the Cup title!

NASCAR?

He'll soon get dizzy driving around the oval track.

Must be the pay that made him move.

If that's true, all teams should increase their budget to be prepared for some spectacular scenes resulting in costly damages...

Maybe he likes to race.

There are lots of lead changes in every NASCAR race.

In F1 what you get now is mostly a exhibition with little actual racing.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Maybe he likes to race.

There are lots of lead changes in every NASCAR race.

In F1 what you get now is mostly a exhibition with little actual racing.

If he likes to race....why didn't he try for Indycar? Were there no seats? Or was it a case of 'been there...done that?'

Nascar pays better that Indycar and there are better opportunities for endorsment and promotion deals.
    Nascar is also expanding into Latin America.

Imagine if Schuy retires from F1 after this year and gets a call from Daimler Chryslers CEO asking to him to race Dodges
    next year for X millions $$$.

I think hed take it, laugh all the way to the bank and
    enjoy Nascar for the bumping at 200mph that goes on.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Must be the pay that made him move.

Rumours said that Montoya had no offers (of a good teams) in the F1.

I've never really enjoyed NASCAR, but if Montoya accepts it will be a spectacular season.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

I don't think so... He is making such a poor use of his brain in F1 today that ovals tracks will certainly suit him better

Damn! That sounds like the best career move since Mark Webber rejected an offer to drive for Renault a few years ago. (He chose to stay with Williams and Renault signed Fisichella instead)

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

I don't think so... He is making such a poor use of his brain in F1 today that ovals tracks will certainly suit him better

I think any track would suit him as long as there aren't guys like Scumacher,Alonso,Raikkonen,etc.
    The only thing he did in all those years in F1 was whining,whining and whining about how bad his car was compared to the one of his team mate.It's not a lost for F1,it's a relief.

Extremly dissapointing!! Went from a Mclearn to a dodge! Who does that?

I don't think anybody will miss his 'wild', often dangerous, style of driving.

I agree with the earlier post, he always complained about something wrong with his car or somebody else's mistake costing him. Does anybody ever remember him saying words like "Today I just wasn't quick enough"? Nope, he never had the basic decency and humility to accept when he was well beaten, which happened time and again.

How many times was he outqualified by his team mate? Or finished behind his team mate?

He was a total loser. I'm very surprised he survived in F1 so long.

GREAT! Now I won't have to hear his whining before and after the F1 races anymore! I don't watch Nascar so I won't miss him at all!
    I met him a few years back at Nazareth Speedway. Pompus jerk!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I don't think anybody will miss his 'wild', often dangerous, style of driving.

I agree with the earlier post, he always complained about something wrong with his car or somebody else's mistake costing him. Does anybody ever remember him saying words like "Today I just wasn't quick enough"? Nope, he never had the basic decency and humility to accept when he was well beaten, which happened time and again.

How many times was he outqualified by his team mate? Or finished behind his team mate?

He was a total loser. I'm very surprised he survived in F1 so long.

...he did win 7 races, that's 7 more than a lot of current drivers in F1.

Those drivers would have made far more of his car than he has. 7 wins in 91 starts when you drive for BMW Williams F1 and then for McLaren Mercedes, at a time before Renault became dominant and while Ferrari alone were very strong, is poor.

Montoya is not one the really great F1 drivers, but he is pretty fast and exciting to watch. He looked very special in CART, but I think F1 does not fundamentally suit him.

I'm sure he could have had options with a second-rank F1 team, but I think his style was a liability in F1, where consistency and reliability are very important and scoring points for the team is vital (and taking our your team mate is about the worst thing you can do). Montoya's aggression is just too much for today's F1. That's too bad though. In the end, this weighs too heavily against him when teams are sizing him up for a seat.

I have to admire Montoya for making this rather brave choice. I don't care for NASCAR at all, but Montoya has decided that he'd rather race there competitively instead of just make up the numbers in F1. The only thing I wish was that he didn't have to publicly dump on F1 so much in making the announcement. He really didn't need to whine about it. "Hey, I've enjoyed F1 and now I'm looking forward to something new, thanks!" would have been a good way to leave it.

It's ashame he didn't look into ALMS...but the paycheck would not have been there. Would like to see him in a prototype or GT1 car.

This is like working as a brain surgeon at one of the city's finest clinics, and then accepting an offer working for a South American cartel of underground organ-pushers.

I truly understand why F1 is less than fun to be in racing-wise.
    But I dont understand how even the most boring F1 season can be worse than driving in ovals in those ad-plastered hillbilly gasguzzlers. Hello??

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    This is like working as a brain surgeon at one of the city's finest clinics, and then accepting an offer working for a South American cartel of underground organ-pushers.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

BTW, JPM is suspended and will be replaced in Magny Cours by de la Rosa.

He! Kimi has a new team mate.Pedro de la Rosa will replace Montoya already this race weekend.

JPM may have been suspended but officially the news websites say he has agreed an 'early release' from McLaren to allow him more time to deal with his personal and professional life before joining Nascar!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    JPM may have been suspended but officially the news websites say he has agreed an 'early release' from McLaren to allow him more time to deal with his personal and professional life before joining Nascar!

... and they lived happily ever after.

no one is so practiced in putting a PR-lipstick on a pig than merc-mclaren. always. it's annoying.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

BTW, JPM is suspended and will be replaced in Magny Cours by de la Rosa.

OHHH THAT IS FOR SURE REALLY REALLY GREAT NEWS, DE LA ROSA REALLY WANTS TO DEMONSTRATE WHAT ARE HIS DRIVING LIMITS..

thanks zzboba

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM