Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hockenheim Track Time - 997 Turbo

Today I just got some interesting numbers regarding the Hockenheim (Kleiner Kurs) track results (done by the same professional driver):

997 Carrera S (PASM): 1:14.7 min
    997 Turbo (manual, sport chrono): 1:12.5 min
    997 GT3 (Michelin Cup tires): 1:11.4 min

Same driver, back to back driving on the same day, air temperature was around 30*C.
    On the 997 Carrera S and 997 Turbo, PSM was turned off, Sport Chrono was turned on.
    On the 997 GT3, TC was turned off.

I can't provide more details.

Re: Hockenheim Track Time - 997 Turbo

So do you think a 997 Turbo 6-speed with Cup tires would be as fast (or faster) than the GT3 time?

Don't you think the GT3's Cup tires made a 1 second difference at the very least? Sounds like an impressive time for the Turbo.

Quote:
    mp said:
    Don't you think the GT3's Cup tires made a 1 second difference at the very least? Sounds like an impressive time for the Turbo.

It is an impressive time for the Turbo, unfortunately I wasn't able to find out if the car was equipped with LSD.

RC - A while ago, you posted a time for the Z06 on that track. Do you remember what it was? Just curious - don't want to start a war...

It is excellent time for the turbo, it has to be faster than the GT3 with cup tires, not talking of LSD, if the tested din't had one.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    RC - A while ago, you posted a time for the Z06 on that track. Do you remember what it was? Just curious - don't want to start a war...

It was a 1:11.x (x= ) time, don't remember anymore. The Z06 time has been achieved by Horst v. Saurma.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

It was a 1:11.x (x= ) time, don't remember anymore. The Z06 time has been achieved by Horst v. Saurma.

when you say has been achieved by Horst v. Saurma, you mean he was driving the Z06

or it took the GT3/Turbo a driver like him to get to a time marked by the Z06 wih a regular driver?

That GT3 time is very very fast.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

when you say has been achieved by Horst v. Saurma, you mean he was driving the Z06

or it took the GT3/Turbo a driver like him to get to a time marked by the Z06 wih a regular driver?

You think GM would just use some guy off the street for their Hockenheim test runs?

I know that 2.2s is meaningful, but it is still impressive to see the C2S JUST 2.2s slower than the new turbo.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

You think GM would just use some guy off the street for their Hockenheim test runs?

But I dont think they used their best driver at hand, but i am not sure, if they did, its still impressive, as quick as a GT3 and quicker than the Turbo on Runcraps, put the matching Cup tires and that time is in 1.10.xx so my point in the other thread, the Vette has not been matched by any porsche out yet but there is something else porsche offers which is missing from a vette..even though the Z06 is equally sexy looking..

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

But I dont think they used their best driver at hand, but i am not sure, if they did, its still impressive, as quick as a GT3 and quicker than the Turbo on Runcraps, put the matching Cup tires and that time is in 1.10.xx so my point in the other thread, the Vette has not been matched by any porsche out yet but there is something else porsche offers which is missing from a vette..even though the Z06 is equally sexy looking..

And so what? You proved no point. Did you read the thread title?

Another one coming here to tell us how great the Z06 is.

Go brag to gm.com if they still exist...

Here is something for ya click here

Y you getting a pissed off, getting pissed off is a trait of people who cant handle simple reasoning..I never said that the Z06 is the greatest, but i cant seem to figure why is porsche taking soo much $$ to make something not as quick..last i remembered porsche was about speed..wasnt it?

I want a turbo/gt3 myself, but that doesnt mean I cant show that its competition is better for now..

Crazi4speed quit being so open minded and logical.

Porsche believes there only competition is themselves.
    So in that context, do not be surprised at reaction here
    if pressed to answer the why is it slower question.

To be be fair, Porsche dogmatists cannot give any answer but that their engines are too small.

Look at the Cayenne Turbo S engine. With a dry sump and cams it would be perfect for a new mid engine Porsche.

One day we will see that, if Audi doesnt beat them to it
    and leave Porsche behind with just small displacement motors
    for their sportscars.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:... but i cant seem to figure why is porsche taking soo much $$ to make something not as quick..last i remembered porsche was about speed..wasnt it?

There is so much more to a car than pure performance numbers.

BTW, Porsches have seldom been faster in acceleration than the Vette.

Dock thats true to a point, but slower lap times are not something Porsche has ever been known for.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Dock thats true to a point, but slower lap times are not something Porsche has ever been known for.

I really don't know that to be true. It's easy to research back through the years to see what the acceleration performance numbers between the two cars was, but I haven't seen similar head-to-head lap time data.

Here's how I see it. American muscle cars have generally been faster in acceleration than Porsches. What they were missing were brakes and proper chassis tuning. The C6Z represents the only sports car made in America that can corner, brake and accelerate with the 997 Turbo with SC. Good for GM in their achievement of these specific performance markers. What they have not accomplished in my opinion is parity with Porsche in terms of how the driving experience is delivered...weighting of the steering wheel, chassis feedback, the balance of all the driving controls relative to each other, sight lines from the driver's seat, service, looks, quality, etc. Is having all of the non-performance attributes worth the price difference between the two cars? Well it depends on the individual, but it was for me.

Also, Porsche has to be concerned about where each of their 911's fit in the lineup. It wouldn't make sense for them to make a base 997 Turbo that is faster than a GT2. Where does the 997 Turbo with power kit fit in? How about the 997 S? Could Porsche have released the 997 Turbo with 650hp and capable of sub 7:30 lap times at the Ring? Sure they could. Could GM have released the C6Z with 650hp. You bet.

People can get all wrapped up with a few seconds here or there, but I personally think that's a waste of time.

Dock,

I think the Dodge Viper would qualify as an American sports car in your terms. Maybe not as refined as the Corvette or Porsche 911s, but certainly a very good sports car still.

Mike

Dock I understand what you are mean entirely about tactile feel and quality bits in the cockpit. And thats exactly where Porsche has jumped off a cliff quality wise for the price.

But if you dont know what they built before, you would not be dissapointed by what they do today.

This is what stinks for 100K plus today.

We get insturments that are part of a cheap to make cluster instead of individual insturments with glass and real metal bezels. At least the 997's are bigger than the 996's.

No Porsche only weighted turn stalk with precise detents but a flimsy VW souced one. The good one vanished in the late 70's.

A cheap gearshift knob with that tacky "Alu" look fake metal - born with the 996. Its the meanest cheapest gear shift nob for the money in the entire auto industry.

Auxilary switches from low bidder sourcing with no heft or substance. - more 996 baddness

Even the Key is not special or clever, but just cheap.

A lot of the special Porscheness of the cockpit is just not there anymore. From the hanging pedals to the cheap light switch, tiny ashtray, to the Audi S4 heater/AC controls, the car is just not as special as it used to be inside.

The Porsche interior design people must work for a Scotsman.
    Without the European style of font and pictographs on the switches, it could be a Nissan in some ways.

And Since when did any Porsche ever need "crested" seats? or "Crested" center consoles? or Buick like color matching steering wheels? Or Fake quad exhaust pipes? All of that smacks of Datsun 240Z like crap and really just pisses me off. Those are tacky, over reaching and fake cues. Whats next? lighted door sill gaurds?

White insturment faces are so Dodge, so Pep Boys, so Shucks like.. that Porsche should be barred from importing cars until they stop using them and recall the ones already here to change them out to yes... Black!

Now ask me how I really feel?

I thought the key of the 997tt was similar to the Carrera GT's...

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    Dock,

I think the Dodge Viper would qualify as an American sports car in your terms. Maybe not as refined as the Corvette or Porsche 911s, but certainly a very good sports car still.

Mike

I just don't think it would hang with the 997 Turbo

Dock I understand what you are mean entirely about tactile feel and quality bits in the cockpit.

I'm not talking about the tactile feel or quality of any switchology in the cockpit. But here are my comments anyway...

//////////////////////////

But if you dont know what they built before, you would not be dissapointed by what they do today.

I know all about the past Porsches

We get insturments that are part of a cheap to make cluster instead of individual insturments with glass and real metal bezels.

I think my 996 Turbo's instrument cluster is well made. And it doesn't have silver bezels - they are all black just the way Porsche designed them. Plastic is just fine with me - it's lighter. A few ounces here and a few ounces there and the next thing you know you're talking real pounds.

No Porsche only weighted turn stalk with precise detents but a flimsy VW souced one. The good one vanished in the late 70's.

I think the current stalks have great detents - "light" does not mean less precise or low quality.

A cheap gearshift knob with that tacky "Alu" look fake metal - born with the 996. Its the meanest cheapest gear shift nob for the money in the entire auto industry.

I disagree. My OEM shift knob has a great shape and is very lightweight.

Auxilary switches from low bidder sourcing with no heft or substance. - more 996 baddness

Why have "heft"??

Even the Key is not special or clever, but just cheap.

The 996 key? What's the big deal, it's just a key for heavens sake...

A lot of the special Porscheness of the cockpit is just not there anymore. From the hanging pedals Who cares? to the cheap light switch Which light switch? , tiny ashtray Never use it. , to the Audi S4 heater/AC controls Something wrong with Audi stuff? , the car is just not as special as it used to be inside.

And Since when did any Porsche ever need "crested" seats? or "Crested" center consoles? Or Buick like color matching steering wheels? Or Fake quad exhaust pipes? Those are all options, right. So don't order them.

so back to lap times....

i wonder why they didnt use cup tires on the 997tt..they are an option for the car..

For lap times, I bet the TT and the Gallardo are two cars car that could actually do decent times on....Winter Tires.

Jim, sounds like you need to get yourself an Aston. After shopping DB9's and Vantages, everything else looks cheap on the inside. Even the Bentley with the Touareg instrument cluster and steering wheel.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    For lap times, I bet the TT and the Gallardo are two cars car that could actually do decent times on....Winter Tires.

Yes the Turbo does okay lap times on winter tyres in December at the Ring in -2c and icy rain.

GT3 rules....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688869 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408851 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65440 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773617 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM