Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Are cars collected from the factory given special checks?

Just wondering...

Suppose you plan to collect your car from the factory in Stuttgart and then drive it home maybe taking the scenic route and doing some extra miles.

Do Porsche do any extra checks to make sure you will have a problem free trip home?

I can imagine it wouldn't create a favourable impression for the customer (who may even be put off future purchases) if he/she has a nightmare journey home due to mechanical problems or electronic glitches etc.

If a customer collects his/her new car from their local dealer, at least he/she won't be stranded on their driving holiday back home.

Has anybody here ever had problems on their drive home when collecting from the factory? Rennteamers from the US might be collecting their car from the factory then returning it to the factory for onward shipment to the US.

Any thoughts?

Re: Are cars collected from the factory given special checks

Easy_rider, took delivery of my 987S May 12th 2006 and had no "special checks" done to my car during handover. It was just a review of the car and checked for any defects/flaws before taking possesion. Only thing that i noticed on the drive home was that front end alignment was off to the right. Other than that i have 3600 Miles on it now and loving every minute of it!

Re: Are cars collected from the factory given special checks?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Do Porsche do any extra checks to make sure you will have a problem free trip home?

They fill up the gas tank before handing over the car

I guess you're referring to those typical "after-birth health conditions" of your baby, but these normally become apparent after it starts to crawl only (kind of vicious circle). Hence I doubt that any extra checking would help much (finally the car has passed all quality checks already).

I just would refrain to make a virgin trip into any outback region with remote road-assistance and the next P-shop 1,000 miles away.

Don't worry, your baby will be perfect

Thanks

Actually, the 'special checks' I was thinking about would be carried out after production but before the customer comes for collection (i.e. not during handover).

For example, I know that on top of the engine testing that every engine gets, after production, Porsche randomly drives 1 in X cars around a test track for some kilometres just as a further quality control. Could it be the case that they do this for every car that is collected from the factory (just as an extra check to ensure that the factory collection customer has a problem-free trip back)?

Also, is it possible that, during the process of preparing the car for factory collection, the factory collection team have their own checklist of things they do (on top of the usual quality control within the factory itself)? Or do this simply do the same kind of vehicle preparation that a dealer would do?

Waiting is really exciting but getting more and more difficult to bear.

I would hope that all of the cars from Porsche get all "special checks". I mean I don't want to spend 90K+ on a car and leave the dealer and it break down either. Hopefully Porsche quality control would build all cars as good as they can no matter if you pick it up at the factory or from a dealer.

I picked up mine at Zuffenhausen and it showed 4 miles (6 km) on the odometer when I first laid eyes on it. According to the factory PR guys (who give the tours) Porsche found no value added to additional checks as they are so good as they are. I put over 3200 miles on mine in 3 weeks and never once got any sort of failure or check engine light. As I recall from quality classes when working on my MBA,--separate quality checks are no value added. The quality must be inherent.

Dan
    Waiter (shipment home)

Just make sure you cruise around Stuttgart area for a day or so so that you can bring it back if something isn't right.

Seems like Dan L and I have a similar story. When I picked up my car at the factory, the only "special" checks they told me about was that they spent over an hour detailing it.

Mine had 4 miles on it when I picked it up...I've put on just over 4K miles since then without any issues....although I just had it shipped to the states so I'll tell you what I find after I pick it up again on monday!

Two deliveries of the same car! The anticipation is killing me all over again!

I think the term you're looking for is PDI or pre-delivery-inspection ?

As you are not effectively using a local dealer to do this, I would have thought that Porsche Germany would, and probably is inc in the factory collection price you pay.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, you may get a few minor niggles which can be resolved when you get home with your local PGB dealer.

I don't think many new Porsches actually break down on the way home from dealers ?....................but I may be wrong ?!!

PDI is mostly for any issues the car might have had while being shipped over. If its fresh from the factory, I don't think you are going to have any broken parts.

Interesting to revisit this thread.

My car had 4 miles (6 km) on the odometer too when I collected it at the factory.

And no, they do not do a PDI at the factory since no 'shipping' is being done.

All I know is that they benchtested the engine for 36 minutes (as they do for every engine they make) before it was put into the chassis. Porsche checks to see that the engine is producing at least 355 bhp or up to 4% more (but never less than 355hp).

No warning lights so far. It's been absolutely flawless.

The electronic engine oil indicator has gone down by 1 bar after 700 miles driving. I assume this is about normal.

How much do they test drive the car though before they reset the odometer to zero?

I thought they run the engines in a little before releasing the car?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Porsche checks to see that the engine is producing at least 355 bhp or up to 4% more (but never less than 355hp).

What happens if it's more than 4%? Do they de-tune the engine?!

So in theory my car could have 370bhp. Cool!

I wonder whether after running in that figure goes up further?

PS: My 500th post!! I have now graduated to Rennteam Pro, cool ...I think I spend far too much time on this board.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:What happens if it's more than 4%? Do they de-tune the engine?!

It may sound surprising but yes, that's exactly what they do. That's what they told me on the factory tour.

If a car is producing less than 355, they actually check to see who made the engine. They have a chat with that worker to find out what (if anything) he is doing differently or wrong in order to put it right!

Seeing this thread makes me wonder about whether they do PDI checks on cars shipped to the US after they've been dropped off at one of the drop-off points in Europe. Any ideas?

maybe you get to take it for a spin around their test track!!! hehehe

One thing they don't do is check the tyre pressures. My Boxster's tyre pressures were all over the place. They obviously didn't realise my car had TPMS! ( When I got it back to the UK and took it down to the dealer I asked them to recheck and even they got it wrong! The nav system registered in Finland, a few seconds after I drove the car down the ramp and out into the open it reset to Zuffenhausen. I guess it proves no one fired the car up between Finland and Stuttgart!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Seeing this thread makes me wonder about whether they do PDI checks on cars shipped to the US after they've been dropped off at one of the drop-off points in Europe. Any ideas?

PDI checks are done, in my case, by Pasha, in San Diego, when the car arrived in the port. They do the PDI and then even the dealership does another. I've been told that part of the PDI is to reset the car so that it will go back up to full speed,--not at the reduced "handler drivers" speed.

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691078 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410189 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256238 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM