Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Quick question regarding Michelin tire wear

I've driven my 05 997S 13K miles and the rear tires are shot. I was told to not expect more the 10K out of the Michelins, but I have a question about uneven wear. The inside of the rear tires wore much more excessively than the outside, is this normal? Is there a camber setting that can be adjusted to allow for even wear. Outside tread still shows grooves, inside is completely slick, actually starting to show core. Thanks for your help.

Re: Quick question regarding Michelin tire wear

I just switched to Michelin from Pirelli hoping for better wear. My rear Pirellis got 16,000 miles...fronts had about 30-40% left. All had very even wear.

Quote:
    911Fanatic said:The inside of the rear tires wore much more excessively than the outside, is this normal? Is there a camber setting that can be adjusted to allow for even wear. Outside tread still shows grooves, inside is completely slick, actually starting to show core. Thanks for your help.

This is normal, especially on the rears. This is because of the neg camber that sportcars have in order to favor grip and handling in the curves, especially so the 911 in the rears due to the rear engine. You do not want to change alignment to have even wear, you would hinder handling and performance. Contrary to popular belief, ever wear is not a good thing necesarily, especially in sportcars. In a sportcar such as the 911, if you get even wear on the rears it ussually means you are not driving it like it was meant to and are going to slow on the corners.

This does not mean that you should not make sure you are not running to high tire pressures that would increase the uneven wear beyond normal, just make sure you maintain the tires pressures withing manufacture's specs throughout the life of the tires. And that Dealer confirms correct aligments during servicing, and don't worry about it.
    Uneven wear is a price you pay for the handling and grip you get in the curves.

I got only 10000 km on my 997 4s x51 and my rear micheln are gone... a very expensive joke. my next tires? pirellis.....

Are the Pirelli's better in terms of wear? What about grip? I am tempted to try Pirelli next too. The Michelin's grip well but are a bit too easy to wear out...

My Bridgestone are wearing off not too badly. About half gone in 5000km.

I hesitate about the next ones.

First I thought about the Pirelli Corsa to get maximum grip, but I worry a little bit about aquaplaning when lots of rain on highway and when the weather is going to be cooler in October /November, not reaching enough tyre temperature.
    Then thinking about P zero rosso.. or Michelin Pilot Sport

Hang on, which Pirelli is OE? What other brands ones are OE? I am assuming any N-rated tyres are OE?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Hang on, which Pirelli is OE? What other brands ones are OE? I am assuming any N-rated tyres are OE?

What does OE mean?
    The Carrera are factory fitted with either:

Pirelli P Zerro Rosso
    Michelin Pilot Sport
    Bridgestone Potenza
    ...all depending on production dates.

Porsche does officially mount the Pirelli Corsa on the Carrera when you are attending a track event like the Porsche Speed Days.

Right, N rated tires are OE fitment.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ...going to slow on the corners.

LOL

But...

wouldn't cornering too slow result in not wearing the outsides as much? hard cornering flattens out the -camber...right?

There has been an acknowledgement by michelin that the compound on the N rated PS2s is too soft. They have not however said whether there is any change now or in the future.

IF the 996 285/30/18 rear is anything to go by you should be getting about 25% extra mileage from the Michelin over Pirellis, even with the soft compound issue. I know of three 996 owners who haven't got more than 7k miles for their last sets of Pirellis in normal road driving. An advanced driving instructor, whoc runs 997s himself, says Michelin are by far the best , Pirellis are too soft for the rear biased 911 (boh 996 and 997)

Everyone, thanks for your replies. I also called the dealership and they confirmed Carlos's comment on inside wear. Would be nice to get more than 10-15K on a set of tires when they are about $450 each. Dealership also recommended getting a four wheel alignment ($180) just to make sure something wasn't completely out of whack.

10-15K on tires before I have to replace them. There has to be a tire out there that offers great grip and wear.

The price you pay for performance I guess!
    Porsche dealership quoted $540 per tire + $30 for installation. Tire rack $450 + shipping for Michelins.

A buddy of mine use to say "if you can't afford the rubber don't buy the car". I guess I bought the car so I have to buy the rubber.

I'm at a hair over 17,000 miles and I'm really just driving on borrowed time at this point on my PS2s.

If you are unhappy about the durability of the Michelin tires, and the Pirelli's are worse yet. What is the experience of those who's vehicles came equipped with Continental?

I will be very happy if I got 15k out of my Pirelli's.

OE = Original Equipment

Traditionally, rear tires of 911 do wear heavyily on the inside on facory setting... I guess if you really like to adjust the alignment, you would but why would you??? I think I would perfer PS2 N rated tires over Pirelli. I have another interesting observation.... my driver side rear usually wear out faster on the inside compare to the other rear. How about rest of the guys on the forum?

I really don't understand this. My car had P-Zero's on when I collected it and they lasted 5000 miles! I drive spiritedly but never stupidly, never break grip or slide or jolt the car or anything. The P-Zero's didn't look too bad but all the grip was gone, I just couldn't trust the car on even a half serious bend and driving in the wet was a nightmare.

I've gone to Pilot Sport's now. When I had them fitted I was told that the geometery was "a little bit out, but nothing serious" so I don't think that's the reason the Zero's wore out so quickly
    I think if you are getting 10 - 12k from your tyres you're very lucky!

br d

Man it is just hard for me to believe I will have to buy a set of tires every year. Does anyone make a non N rated tire that gets good tread wear for non performance Porsche drivers like me?

WR, that was the case with mine as well. Driver side is worse than passenger...can only assume its because I'm the only one in the car most of the time???

I've averaged about 15k on each set with my 986 up to 52k miles ... slightly more with this last set, but I'm trading it in a few weeks when my 997s arrives. No noticable difference on the drivers side.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Man it is just hard for me to believe I will have to buy a set of tires every year. Does anyone make a non N rated tire that gets good tread wear for non performance Porsche drivers like me?

Amongst many other factors the rubber compound is different on N rated tyres compared to the non N rated stock version. You might get better life from the standard version, but other things might suffer (handling / grip / noise )

911Fantasic, I think so... I actually went around and ask some other friends who also have varies 996s and 997s here in Taiwan (not a land of fast driving at all; kind of like Hong Kong). Most of whom I asked, have the driver side rear wear out a bit faster than the other. I think it is true that most of us drive along (I too often take the long way home so I can enjoy my car a bit after a long day). Therefore it wears out slightly different.

I think non N rated tires are not very safe for a rear engine car. I was told N rated tires are design to help develop a more balance RR setup car. I think for the slight difference in price, one should not get a non N rated tires for 911. Maybe not the same with a mid-engine setup car?

Quote:
    connoisseur said:
    If you are unhappy about the durability of the Michelin tires, and the Pirelli's are worse yet. What is the experience of those who's vehicles came equipped with Continental?

I have almost 12K miles on my Conti Sport Contact 2's (987S) and it looks like I'll still have many more miles on them....

I've got 16K miles on my 997S with Contis and the rear tires are worn down to the tread indicators. The fronts still have about 40 percent. Should I replace all four or just the rears ?

Quote:
    bstew said:
    10-15K on tires before I have to replace them. There has to be a tire out there that offers great grip and wear.

Come on Guys, get real.

You buy a Pounds70,000 car, then moan about Pounds300 per corner for tyres.

Deal with it, you drive a quick car, so therfore, the tyres aren't going to last.

It's like buying a personal jet, then not flying in it, cos you can't afford the fuel.

Total rubbish!!

Just drive and enjoy.

I've only got 3,400 miles on the Continentals that came with my 2006 911S (took delivery on Feb. 20 of this year). So far, I've been quite satisfied. I like the Continentals in the wet; the car sticks to the road quite well during heavier rains at about 75-80 mph. I know that is not fast, but for American interstates when wet, that is pretty decent performance.

Thus far, I have not noticed any wear, especially on the interior of the rear tires. Also, I check the pressure quite often and during this time of year, when the tires are warmed up, the pressure usually hits 43-44 lbs. per sq. inch on the rear tires and 36-37 on the front ones. This is in line with pressures recommended for heavier loads. I don't want to ruin the wheel rims so I won't set the cold tire pressure lower than 33 lb. front and 39 lb. rear (partial load in the car).

I haven't run the car really hard (top speed about 113 mph) thus far and haven't tracked it yet. If the Conti's give me good wear, I'll stick with them.

Jim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM