Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone out there move from manual to Tip before?

Been driving a manual 996 for last 3 years. Love it. But, thinking of switching to TIP for my 997. Reasons are so my wife can drive it (I'm not that nice, it lets me drink at dinner ), and because I do some boring traffic driving.

I can't kid myself that I'm switching because the TIP performance is better. Unlike many on this board, I've never been a good enough driver to claim I'm better with a manual than the TIP would have been. I've always driven manual just becaue it "feels" more like driving.

So, my question is this, ignoring performance, has anyone made this switch and felt good about it? I am worried I won't "feel" like I'm driving a sports car in a TIP. Might be dumb, but I would love to get some other's views who've maybe gone through this experience.

Thanks.

Re: Anyone out there move from manual to Tip before?

i ordered a tip boxster, sooo my wife could drive it and i really liked it alot also .when i got my tt it came with a 6spd . had i ordered it myself i would have gone with the tip, not for speed, but because i liked the boxster with the tip so much in all driving situations, except for the lack of speed, which isn't an issue now.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    i ordered a tip boxster, sooo my wife could drive it and i really liked it alot also .when i got my tt it came with a 6spd . had i ordered it myself i would have gone with the tip, not for speed, but because i liked the boxster with the tip so much in all driving situations, except for the lack of speed, which isn't an issue now.

Thanks.

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    Been driving a manual 996 for last 3 years. Love it. But, thinking of switching to TIP for my 997. Reasons are so my wife can drive it (I'm not that nice, it lets me drink at dinner ), and because I do some boring traffic driving.

I can't kid myself that I'm switching because the TIP performance is better. Unlike many on this board, I've never been a good enough driver to claim I'm better with a manual than the TIP would have been. I've always driven manual just becaue it "feels" more like driving.

So, my question is this, ignoring performance, has anyone made this switch and felt good about it? I am worried I won't "feel" like I'm driving a sports car in a TIP. Might be dumb, but I would love to get some other's views who've maybe gone through this experience.

Thanks.

I had a 996 Manual and then changed to a 996 Turbo Tip. Its just frankly not as fun. I live in Seattle and it would make sense to have ordered a 997 Tip because the traffic is SOOO Bad. But to me even with the traffic I like driving a manual over a tip. Even though the tip is faster

I have a 2004 996TT cab with 6-speed (w/short shifter) and the X50 power kit. I used to have a 2001 996TT coupe with the standard motor and that generation Tip. The ownership of both overlapped for a few years and I drove them back to back quite a few times.

Here's my take on the subject:

I bought the Tip coupe mainly because I found it quite difficult to properly heel-and-toe shift the manual transmission owing to the inadequate foot-well space provided in the 996 series. I'm 6'4", wear 36" inseam trousers and find that my right leg interferes with the console when I try to heel-and-toe. This immensely limits my enjoyment and proficiency in 6-speed driving. It's quite frustrating.

I found the Tip to be somewhat sluggish in making up its mind to downshift. However, the Tip provided an unmatched continuous flow of power that was very difficult to duplicate with any 6-speed when accelerating onto a freeway. It remains very satisfying to me.

I traded a '99 996 Carrera 2 Cab 6-speed for the 996TT cab. My wife and I shared the former as well as the new car and I asked her which transmission she would prefer. She said she really wanted to shift gears and I knew I wouldn't be taking the cabriolet to the track, so I quickly agreed to the 6-speed.

The X50 engine with 6-speed gearbox is a somewhat unhappy combination for multipurpose use in my Cabriolet. First, there is quite a bit more turbo lag in 1st gear with an X50 power pack. The larger, higher maximum flow rate turbochargers take a bit longer to spool up than the plain vanilla variety on the normal motor. It turns out that the 0-60 time is no better than from the standard motor, when paired with a 6-speed. In order to get the most low-speed action from the motor, pairing the X50 with a Tiptronic is required. This is because the torque converter lets the engine move into a higher RPM range sooner than the 6-speed allows, thereby reducing the apparent turbo lag. Honest

Also, in any kind of steady speed traffic situation, the Tip always seems to know what to do when asked, even if it takes an extra blink of the eye. The 6-speed uncovers a number of somewhat bad manners that the X50 motor has at light loads. There is a slightly dead spot in the very light throttle range that feels kind of cheap for a $150,000 car. It's kind of like backlash in the throttle position. One can lightly increase the gas pedal pressure without much result for a period of time, until the ECU servo thinks about it for a while (during which it seems to decelerate a bit), and then slightly over reacts. Since the motive power is not buffered by a torque converter, the sensation comes directly through to the seat of ones pants as a surging sensation. This has no effect on max throttle operation, but exists only while trying to smoothly obey the traffic laws. The Tip had no such problems that I can recall.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have ordered the Tip for the Cabriolet TT as well.

This isn't the same situation as you face, but your decision should be even easier because the 997TT Tip gives up much less driving dynamism to the 6-speed than the 996 version did.

And, I actually like having both hands on the wheel while track driving, too.

Mike,
    few questions for you:
    1. Do you belive that 5speed TIP is the right gearbox for 997 Turbo?
    2. Do you think that manual version with optional LSD really do not have any traction advantage(specially on track!) over TIP version of 997 Turbo?
    3. Since you are TIP fan(at least on 996/997 Turbo) what is your opinion on CGT manual gearbox? Or do you think that TIP could go to CGT as well?
    BTW, I had a chance to try both versions of 997 Turbo...
    Thanks for your answers!
    Kreso

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    I have a 2004 996TT cab with 6-speed (w/short shifter) and the X50 power kit. I used to have a 2001 996TT coupe with the standard motor and that generation Tip. The ownership of both overlapped for a few years and I drove them back to back quite a few times.

Here's my take on the subject:

I bought the Tip coupe mainly because I found it quite difficult to properly heel-and-toe shift the manual transmission owing to the inadequate foot-well space provided in the 996 series. I'm 6'4", wear 36" inseam trousers and find that my right leg interferes with the console when I try to heel-and-toe. This immensely limits my enjoyment and proficiency in 6-speed driving. It's quite frustrating.

I found the Tip to be somewhat sluggish in making up its mind to downshift. However, the Tip provided an unmatched continuous flow of power that was very difficult to duplicate with any 6-speed when accelerating onto a freeway. It remains very satisfying to me.

I traded a '99 996 Carrera 2 Cab 6-speed for the 996TT cab. My wife and I shared the former as well as the new car and I asked her which transmission she would prefer. She said she really wanted to shift gears and I knew I wouldn't be taking the cabriolet to the track, so I quickly agreed to the 6-speed.

The X50 engine with 6-speed gearbox is a somewhat unhappy combination for multipurpose use in my Cabriolet. First, there is quite a bit more turbo lag in 1st gear with an X50 power pack. The larger, higher maximum flow rate turbochargers take a bit longer to spool up than the plain vanilla variety on the normal motor. It turns out that the 0-60 time is no better than from the standard motor, when paired with a 6-speed. In order to get the most low-speed action from the motor, pairing the X50 with a Tiptronic is required. This is because the torque converter lets the engine move into a higher RPM range sooner than the 6-speed allows, thereby reducing the apparent turbo lag. Honest

Also, in any kind of steady speed traffic situation, the Tip always seems to know what to do when asked, even if it takes an extra blink of the eye. The 6-speed uncovers a number of somewhat bad manners that the X50 motor has at light loads. There is a slightly dead spot in the very light throttle range that feels kind of cheap for a $150,000 car. It's kind of like backlash in the throttle position. One can lightly increase the gas pedal pressure without much result for a period of time, until the ECU servo thinks about it for a while (during which it seems to decelerate a bit), and then slightly over reacts. Since the motive power is not buffered by a torque converter, the sensation comes directly through to the seat of ones pants as a surging sensation. This has no effect on max throttle operation, but exists only while trying to smoothly obey the traffic laws. The Tip had no such problems that I can recall.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have ordered the Tip for the Cabriolet TT as well.

This isn't the same situation as you face, but your decision should be even easier because the 997TT Tip gives up much less driving dynamism to the 6-speed than the 996 version did.

And, I actually like having both hands on the wheel while track driving, too.

Thanks, great answer, and great cars!

Is that Lapis? I'm also obsessed with a color choice...

That is Lapis

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Mike,
    few questions for you:
    1. Do you belive that 5speed TIP is the right gearbox for 997 Turbo?
    2. Do you think that manual version with optional LSD really do not have any traction advantage(specially on track!) over TIP version of 997 Turbo?
    3. Since you are TIP fan(at least on 996/997 Turbo) what is your opinion on CGT manual gearbox? Or do you think that TIP could go to CGT as well?
    Thanks for your answers!
    Kreso

Good questions. However, I have the feeling, that there would be much less disagreements, of the Tip had 7 speeds and an optional LSD.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Mike,
    few questions for you:
    1. Do you believe that 5speed TIP is the right gearbox for 997 Turbo?

Kreso, that is a dangerously simple sounding question.

I haven't driven any kind of 997TT yet, so I can't say what my final opinion might be. It took quite a while of living with both types of 996TT to come to a well considered evaluation of their relative merits.

My "technically emotional" first take of the 997TT is that I would probably opt for the Tip. To recount a tired story, the 997TT would have to have a console-delete option available for me to even consider a 6-speed manual for my personal car. YMMV!

Quote:

I'm not ready to say that there is no advantage to LSD/6-speed on some tracks for a certain style or talent-level of driver. A truly professional driver that has fully adapted to both the Tip and 6-speed (W. Roehrl?) may be able to confidently make the call. I tend to agree with RC that an "average" driver that adapts to the special requirements (throttle anticipation?) of Tip driving is quite likely to be faster with the auto box than in the same car and circumstances with a 6-speed manual. There are just so many more decisions to screw up if one is the pilot stroking a manual transmission while also managing the brakes and steering. At least it seems that way for me.

Quote:
    Thanks for your answers!
    Kreso

The Carrera GT is quite a different case than the 997TT. It is only 2-wheel drive, which puts much more stress on the drive wheels and therefore requires a more tightly managed throttle response to balance the weight transfer effects in transitions. The CGT would not be nearly as much fun if it were equipped with a turbo motor because the positive-feedback control characteristics of the turbo system would make fine throttle adjustments done for weight transfer reasons wildly unpredictable and fairly scary

Also, any prospective CGT automatic would have to be smartly programmed and very efficient to keep up with the speed with which things happen in a car with the driving dynamics of a Carrera GT. There is so much less time to complete maneuvers before the next one is arriving that it would be a great challenge for a Tip to be that responsive. Not impossible, just not easy or straightforward.

The best comparison I can make is that I consider the Carrera GT to be a racing car designed for the street, with all the extremes of behavior that belong on a track. I consider the 911 Turbo to be a very fast street car that has the manners and breeding of a racing car, but is first and foremost a safe, entertaining, and predictable mode of transportation.

They're a bit different from each other.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Good questions. However, I have the feeling, that there would be much less disagreements, of the Tip had 7 speeds and an optional LSD.

I'm not sure that the VTG motor would benefit all that much from more gears in the tranny. It has a really broad torque range. Usually one needs more gears for "peaky" engines.

The LSD is an open question.

thegratingone,

I made the same decision as you, so my wife could drive the 997TT. Also I know I'm not that good a driver and expect I'll be faster on the track with the Tip.

Mike

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I'm not sure that the VTG motor would benefit all that much from more gears in the tranny. It has a really broad torque range. Usually one needs more gears for "peaky" engines.

I agree with you about the lower speed ranges, but for many, acceleration past 200 km/h would play a big role in selecting any kind of a transmission, and even though the difference is supposed to be negligible, 3 seconds may sway a lot of buyers to opt for the manual and present it as the best tranny for this car. With a 7-speed, the manual's high-speed advantage wouldn't be there (the Tip would probably be faster with an extra gear) and the LSD, while most here probably wouldn't be able to really maximize its advantage (I know I couldn't), would probably add a bit of extra edge to the car. Just thinking out loud, I guess.

thegratingone,
    I switched from 993 manual to 997 tip last year. Honestly I still miss the manual gearbox once in a while, however, I also appreicate the tip more as I get used to it. Probably it is our "trained incapacity" that makes us think the tip is sluggish than it actually is.

You have to disregard a few of "not to do" things when switching from manual to tip, the biggest thing being "not to kick you gas pedal". When driving a manual you should avoid depressing the accelerator abruptly when the engin speed is relatively low. But this should be ignored on tip, and you really should kick the gas pedal to get the best reaction.

With sports chrono activated you will probably get what you want as long as you get over your "trained incapacity" as a manual driver.

I'm sure you will be happy with a 997 TT automatic/tip. I have driven cars with the F1 paddle shifts and the Porsche tip and for me the manual (i.e. clutch in the floor) is the only way to go. Now I am a manual nut so my answer is always for a manual no matter how much faster a tip is.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I agree with you about the lower speed ranges, but for many, acceleration past 200 km/h would play a big role in selecting any kind of a transmission, and even though the difference is supposed to be negligible, 3 seconds may sway a lot of buyers to opt for the manual and present it as the best tranny for this car. With a 7-speed, the manual's high-speed advantage wouldn't be there (the Tip would probably be faster with an extra gear) and the LSD, while most here probably wouldn't be able to really maximize its advantage (I know I couldn't), would probably add a bit of extra edge to the car. Just thinking out loud, I guess.

That is exactly the problem I have with the current (old) Tiptronic technology of Porsche. I think I would not complain that much about Tip if it was state-of-the-art 7 gear auto tranny technology (like AMG's speed-shift). But a 5-gear slush box from the early 90s

MK, it is not reasonable to state that the Tip on the TT is
    a kin to a 90's slushbox.

Far from it. Five gears yes ARE enough for the TTs torque and rpm, The car is feared correctly. Weissach testers are not stupid at all.

It has driver adaptive fuzzy logic, crisp shift points up and down, will hold a redline,uses the torque converter to load torque onto the drive train,and is networked in with the awd, and power transmission to each wheel.

Please do not disparage it any more, or I will have to enter a note in your permanent Rennteam file!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Please do not disparage it any more, or I will have to enter a note in your permanent Rennteam file!

Oh noooooo!!!

The Tip works great but only if you order Sport Chrono too.
    Only thing I don`t like is starting off from standstill, there is a pretty annoying lag. Otherwise, it is fun to drive, even if some hardcore macho manual lovers don`t seem to agree.

I have worked for a Porsche dealership for the past five years, and have driven everything under the sun with and without a tip. Unfortunately, I moved to central Oregon and the Porsche sales professional market is not what it was in Hawaii, so I am forced to sell Fords and Nissans (big time letdown)

The tip on the 996 turbo I always felt was very good, but the one on the 997 is REALLY good, but you have to have sport chrono to hold your shift points, etc.
    I had a customer with a 997 S tip who had never been to a drag strip run .5 seconds faster than the PORSCHE published 1/4 mile time on his third run down the track. I am a firm believer that Porsche's Tip is a better transmission than any other auto-manu-matic transmission on the market as far as performance and everyday driveability.
    If you buy a tip, you MUST HAVE Sport Chrono with it!!!

I am very glad to have gotten 6-speed. I wanted to order tip after hearing all those acceleration numbers but my dealer was not able to order a tip car at launch. I am now so happy I didn't after reading EVO, GT, and other magazines. All of them prefer the manual and will gladly trade the slightly slower straight-line acceleration for total control of the gears (and 6 of them) during spirited driving. I also enjoy controlling all the gears and also controlling the timing of each clutch engagement myself. (rather than a sequential manual like in BMW's and Ferrari's).

I guess the moral of these many comparison discussions is that its good Porsche is making both! Different driver desires, uses, etc. makes it a bit of a neverending discussion of preferences.

Terrence,
    I feel the same way, but I wouldn't put too much weight on the journalists' views. Some of them seem not that well informed re the 997tt, while others simply do not have enough seat time to become proficient with the Tip. Clearly it takes some time to get the hang of the Tip. Once mastered, it is a strong performer. Read some of RC's more recent posts. I can't convince myself that I would be okay with the Tip, but I think it is a very close call. I have a 6spd coming at the end of the month, but would have liked to have experienced a Tip before I made my choice. I think both versions are going to make their owners very happy .

BH,

I would like to test drive one too, but my friend ordered a tip turbo so I will be able to do so anyway. However, I just was hoping that the tip in manual mode would switch gears as quickly as a fast SMG and the auto mode would be smart enough to handle quick canyon drives better. That does not seem to be the case anymore based on ALL the articles I have read ( I tend to believe them when ALL the magazines say the same thing), plus drag-racing my car is not at all important to me. I NEVER have to drive my turbo in traffic, so therefore I ahve decided to stay with a manual ( I originally told my dealer that I wanted to order a tip a few months after I get my manual car). For traffic situations, I have other automatic cars to drive. For pure enjoyment, I prefer a manual car (as I have indicated, I don't like semi-auto cars either).

Terrence.
    I can't believe I am defending the Tip, but I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make. Basically, I agree with you on the choice of a six speed for the reasons you noted. I do think, however, that the journalists may be missing the performance of the Tip. So far, none of them have enough time with the auto to train themselves re its optimal use. RC sounded concerned about his Tip when he first drove it, but as he and the car became better acquainted, he saw the performance improve. He has commented on how some of the technique with the Tip is not intuitive and I would be surprised if a journalist would get to the point where he was able to get the most out of the Tip in a relatively brief road test. That is one of the big drawbacks to journalist roadtesting. You see the same problem with comparos, where journalists who are not as used to driving rear engined cars often favor "easier to drive" front engine rwd or mid engine cars.

Like you, RC is looking for much more than drag race/straight line performance and he seems pleased that his tip is now working well for him and allows him to leave both hands on the wheel and focus on other driving challenges beyond shifting. Clearly he has made the right choice for him. Lets hope you and I are as happy with our choice

Quote:
    DJB said:
    I guess the moral of these many comparison discussions is that its good Porsche is making both! Different driver desires, uses, etc. makes it a bit of a neverending discussion of preferences.

The problem is that people believe what they read and don't trust the people who actually had the chance to drive these cars excessively.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM