Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tested some stuff. SUV shopping for someone. New Q5, CX-5, CR-V... R8 later this week

Q5 -- not bad, 2.0l engine felt punchy for how low of power it is, transmission was nice as expected, interior felt really plasticy and cheap. The fact that the latest Q cars have such nice interior designs made it worse because you have much higher expectations. Cheap looks with cheap materials seems better than expensive looks with cheap materials. MMI click wheel is the loudest knob I've ever heard in a car. I don't know why it clicks like that when it turns. The knob had plenty of feedback such that the clicking was pointless. Didn't feel super snug, but didn't feel very spacious. Maybe this is what mid sized SUVs are supposed to be like, but honestly, I thought it would feel bigger inside. Exterior design is nothing amazing IMO. Decently quiet. Panoramic moonroof is nice, though maybe not so important for people in the front seat. Doesn't offer all the driving aids of the Q7 unfortunately. No remote start! I'd rather have this Q5 than a Macan.

Mazda CX-5 -- really like the exterior design direction for this model. Engine felt average in terms of power. Pretty much what I expected. No paddles for manual mode and weirdly, the manual mode with the shifter has you push up to go to the next gear and pull down to down shift. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like pulling down should be up shift. Infotainment screen looked fine, not nearly as nice as the Audi virtual cockpit though. Selection knob felt good, no super loud clicky noises. Interior also felt snug, more so than the Audi. Didn't feel like i was sitting up that high. Hood length looked massive from the exterior, but driving was fine. Had only one digital display in the dash which showed some sort of driving aids. Strangely it even though I occasionally noticed it emphasizing something, I didn't notice audible queues. Thought it was a little annoying that the blind spot beep went off when I turned my turn signal on. I wasn't changing lanes, I was turning, so it was kind of irrelevant is someone was in my blind spot. Interior materials felt fine. Interior trim felt more solid than the Q5. Q5 just fell really hollow. No Android Auto or Car Play yet, but they're coming. Remote start using an app, I think.

CR-V -- Lowest performance and dynamics. Dash is digital but not a very slick and high-res looking design. Bit dull. Felt a bit more spacious than the others, possibly due to shifter being more on the center console than the arm rest area. Android Auto and Car Play supported. Not a huge fan of the exterior design. Kinda soccer-momish. Wheel design and choices are awful. Both kind of a weird diamond cut and the optional wheels are a whooping $2500 option. That's crazy on a $25-30k car. Has a good amount of driver safety features, has remote start, cameras etc. Overall quite good value IMO.

Winner? Not sure. Wish i could an Audi with a CX-5 bodykit and Honda driving/safety features.

R8 -- will test it later this week. Dealers in the US are more hesitant about testing these kinds of cars. They had two in stock, so I have a feeling they aren't selling that well. This isn't an LA/NY/Miami kind of dealer with high-end buyers everywhere, so having two in stock seems weird. One was technically used, with only 80 miles on it. They were asking $15K under sticker on it. Guy ordered, took it home, brought it back because he didn't like the color.

Re: Tested some stuff. SUV shopping for someone. New Q5, CX-5, CR-V... R8 later this week

Got her this. Of everything I drove, this was the best value and most comfortable. Only $30k. AWD, pearly white, two tone interior. Comfy and spacious. Macan, Q5, CX-5 were all cramped. I'd say they were missing the U on SUV.  Did they handle better and accelerate a bit quicker? Sure, but they are all slow and mediocre anyway. They were the fastest and sportiest of the slow and boring, so not much of a title. Seats in the Toyota were way more comfortable too imo. Should last 200k miles with no issues too haha.

IMG_20170501_133149.jpg

Re: Tested some stuff. SUV shopping for someone. New Q5, CX-5, CR-V... R8 later this week

So you drive a McLaren and drives this thing, whatever that is? Mmmm

You should have no problem doing your own maintenance on that thing. Oil change every 6 months, some washer fluid now and then, and you're done. indecision

SciFrog:

So you drive a McLaren and drives this thing, whatever that is? Mmmm

It's a Toyota Rav 4. The best selling SUV on the planet! Tested a bunch of other stuff in the class and it was all meh. Q7 was nice, but she doesn't need an $80K SUV. Besides, all luxury SUVs are going to get hammered in residuals once autonomous driving becomes available in the next few years. Who wants to spend so much on an SUV that can't even drive itself?

JoeRockhead:

You should have no problem doing your own maintenance on that thing. Oil change every 6 months, some washer fluid now and then, and you're done. indecision

Pretty much. I sold her 2007 Honda Accord the other day. Had 121K miles on it and only needed oil changes, some brakes/rotors, and a passenger window actuator/motor/something. Paid $19K for it in 2007 brand new, sold it for $4000 10 years later. Hard to complain.

The Toyota RAV4 is pretty much the anti-SUV for me, I would never ever even touch this thing. Hideous, boring...sorry. enlightened

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

It is part of the anti "car lover" crowd. It is just a mean for transportation. Everything around it is built around a cheap price and good reliability. Design and noble materials are not a primary considerations.

It actually has better materials than the Q5 IMO. I was literally knocking my knuckles on the trim of the Q5 to see what was just hollow plastic. I had high standards because my R8 was covered in leather and metal in most places, so I figured the same in a luxury SUV. Pretty disappointing. The Rav 4 has some sort of fake leather stuff, but honestly, it's soft, cushy, and quiet.

I honestly have no idea where the extra $20K in the Audi went. The Q5 cargo space was only 57 ft3 too, whereas the Rav 4 is 73 ft3. Massively bigger and more spacious. Other than the Virtual Cockpit (which wasn't even on the $50K one I tested), I didn't see anything much better about it.

Indeed that Q5 loaner we had a couple of times was pretty underwhelming.

If 'meh' was a car, it would be a white Toyota Rav4. 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

With black interior and silver wheels...

Actually, the interior has more two tone options than nberry's GT3 indecision

I wasn't crazy about the light interior at first, but after driving it, I think I'd get a white interior on my next car. Makes it feel way more spacious. And the pearl white paint was a steal at only $300! Seems comparable to pearl white on most exotics from what I can tell.

Looking at the Rav4 interior, I think the extra $20k in the Audi went to the design of the shifter.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

Looking at the Rav4 interior, I think the extra $20k in the Audi went to the design of the shifter.

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

It's possible. They've probably spread the shifter budget out across all models. Bluelines has the same shifter in his S3 as RC has in his R8, no?

That said, if are used to look at an Android screen all day, you would think the RAV4 one looks not bad 

SciFrog:

That said, if are used to look at an Android screen all day, you would think the RAV4 one looks not bad 

Huh? now this is funny but not how you meant it though, skipping over the comparing phone screens with car interiors thing, Android has phones with much better screens displays than any iPhone, and on top of it as opposed to the iPhone also have infinite customization of everything on the screen to make it look as good as you want or like, you kind of picked the wrong example there Smiley... don't know what time it is right now across the pond but isn't it a little early to be hitting the sauce? Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Toyota doesn't support CarPlay or Android Auto. It has some bluetooth connectivity options obviously and some sort of app of their own that I haven't installed or looked at yet.

Bluetooth connects to Spotify right away and no connection issues, so that's 95% of what anyone needs in infotainment. Navigation is the last 5%.

Carlos, was referring to the mess of a design and organization (IMHO of course) of the Android screen that someone posted in the other thread.

Ha. Carlos' phone UI does not represent all of us. I think he uses a custom icon pack or something. Not my taste..

Toyota moved from just reliable car,now it has offer better interior,design wise, I think its very competitive with own sister company. new camery is hell of nice interior. I believe RAV4 is a very good car in town,its not sporty but it do point A to B in a good way.

SciFrog:

Carlos, was referring to the mess of a design and organization (IMHO of course) of the Android screen that someone posted in the other thread.

I think that was my screen lol Smiley... I'm all about function not form so it's very particular and been told that before, to much info jam packed, just in my homescreen page that I use for the gym I have something like 5 music, audiobook, podcasts player widgets in a row... Not for everyone, then again if I look at a screen with simply a grid of icons it feels like I'm using a kids toy phone. To each his ownSmiley

The thing is, you can make it look how ever you want it to look, there is no such thing as an Android type screen. You can change everything about it.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

spudgun:

If 'meh' was a car, it would be a white Toyota Rav4. 

Smiley Smiley

Next generation Toyota RAV4 called Toyota MehSmiley
    Nah...this would fit the Prius much better. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Interesting comparison - especially I'm looking forward how the R8 compares to the CX-5 broken heart

Didn't test the R8. Audi dealers in the US are weird. They sell exotics and don't want you to test them. They think they're too precious or something, even though every exotic dealers tests their cars no problem.They said I could test it on a small short street behind the dealer. Eh, no thanks, I'll just test one somewhere else where I can actually drive it on some normal roads.

They had two, one used one new. The used one had 80 miles on it and asking price was 15K under sticker. Seems these cars aren't moving so well in the US anymore. Too similar looking to the original is my guess, as well as a high price bump compared to the outgoing one.

noone1:

Didn't test the R8. Audi dealers in the US are weird. They sell exotics and don't want you to test them. They think they're too precious or something, even though every exotic dealers tests their cars no problem.They said I could test it on a small short street behind the dealer. Eh, no thanks, I'll just test one somewhere else where I can actually drive it on some normal roads.

They had two, one used one new. The used one had 80 miles on it and asking price was 15K under sticker. Seems these cars aren't moving so well in the US anymore. Too similar looking to the original is my guess, as well as a high price bump compared to the outgoing one.

Pity to hear. Same here - the R8 isn't selling that well and you can get huge discounts if you go for a used one with low mileage. Nevertheless - hell of a car, extremely fun to drive. The interior design is out of any question, the cockpit probably the coolest in the industry. The exterior design is a matter of taste, not really my cup of tea but again - hell of a car, so I could live with the design. 

Lars997:
    noone1:

Pity to hear. Same here - the R8 isn't selling that well and you can get huge discounts if you go for a used one with low mileage. Nevertheless - hell of a car, extremely fun to drive. The interior design is out of any question, the cockpit probably the coolest in the industry. The exterior design is a matter of taste, not really my cup of tea but again - hell of a car, so I could live with the design. 

I have a feeling they are expensive to insure due to the construction.   

Yes, insurance is often expensive because it is done on an individual basis.

Main problems so far seem to be:

1. Too pricey vs Huracan, especially outside Europe an issue

2. No smaller capacity engines available for certain markets

3. V10 engine has bad rep in Europe of being a gas guzzler

4. Car is sold at Audi dealerships together with A1 and A4, etc. and many salespersons are not trained to deal with R8 customers (this is a work in progress though, Audi is aware of that).

5. Audi does not really promote the R8 in ads/etc. for whatever reasons. Maybe because there won't be another one? I don't have a clue.

6. It seems that whoever tries the car loves it but then, they buy something else. Reason? Well, V10 engine scares (fuel consumption), car looks like an exotic (there is a reason why the stealthy 911 Turbo sells well in Germany and other parts of Europe), visually too close to first R8 generation (many even believe the new R8 is a facelift and not a completely new car), depreciation of first gen scares buyers as well and Audi ruined new R8 used car prices as well but throwing a couple of dozens of used 24h Experience cars on the market, basically trying to dump them at very low prices.

All I know is that I love my R8...luckily. 😎

--

Should have driven a Macan, really is that good and on a relative basis kills everything else you tried. Life is too short not to be driving well even when in a small SUV

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM