Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

500 miles Review

After having the pleasure of driving my 997TT for some 500 miles I can say that so far sooooo good. On the positive side, I love the short shift, the steering feel, and especially the PCCBs. The PASM is also quite impressive. It holds its line better than any previous generation turbo with very little understeer.

On the negative side, the car has a lot more lag than I thought it would. In almost any gear or RPM, you have a good second before the car jumps. By comparison, my 996 GT2 was way more responsive in the 3-5K RPM range. But once the new car spools up, it pulls pretty explosively. The exhaust sound, or lack there of, has been talked about plenty but I'm sure it'll be just a matter of time before the tuners take care of that.

As far as the rumors of it being as fast as the CGT. It's not even close. It is however on par with the F430 and 996GT2.

Happy Motoring,

Amir

Re: 500 miles Review

Thank you so much Amir..
    Nice to hear a review of someone who has so many good cars!

I am also surprised by the amount of turbo lag - not because I didn't expect it, but rather because of some of the early car magazine reviews, which surprisingly said that it was virtually eliminated. It is better, but not eliminated. Other than that, your comments echo my own.

Amir,thanks!

So the alleged 460lb-ft isn't perceivable @2Kish RPM, when prompted to do a 50-80MPHish accel?

And could the perceived turbo lag be the OB kicking up tq and creating a perceived non-linear response?

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I am also surprised by the amount of turbo lag - not because I didn't expect it, but rather because of some of the early car magazine reviews, which surprisingly said that it was virtually eliminated. It is better, but not eliminated. Other than that, your comments echo my own.

I guess these statements by jouranlists just followed the statements from the Porsche marketing department.

Porsche wants to praise their newly introduced VTG technology by saying they have eliminated the turbo lag. And the journalist are happy to repeat this claim, without having driven the new 997tt at all.

Thanks Amir,
    Very informative.
    Glad the CGT is still king then!
    Shame, and weird, about the turbo lag being present. I thought that VGT was supposed to take care of that.

Thanks for the review amir. It's nice to read your review since you can compare the 997TT with other real nice cars.

I wonder how the turbo lag responsiveness feels with the VTG compared to, say, a sequential turbo?

Porsche never said they eliminated the turbo lag. What they say is that with VTG it is possible to achieve higher turbine speed, and thus higher boost pressure, at lower engine rpm than with a conventional turbine. That will reduce the turbo lag, not eliminate it. To eliminate the turbo lag you have to go with forced induction, like a compressor for example.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Porsche never said they eliminated the turbo lag. What they say is that with VTG it is possible to achieve higher turbine speed, and thus higher boost pressure, at lower engine rpm than with a conventional turbine. That will reduce the turbo lag, not eliminate it.

Very True, but unfortunately it has not even been reduced. In comparison with the 996 GT2, the lag has actually increased.

Amir

bluelines, a turbocharged engine IS a forced-induction engine . To make the car pull from low revs, a system such as the one on the Golf GT should be used.

I think he meant a supercharger.

Or something like different DI Bi-turbo configuration(smaller turbos, lower pressure)-BMW 335i Coupe!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    bluelines, a turbocharged engine IS a forced-induction engine

Yes, I know What I referred to was a supercharger, but it came out all wrong... please forgive me

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Or something like different DI Bi-turbo configuration(smaller turbos, lower pressure)-BMW 335i Coupe!

Well, if BMW squeezed 480hp out of the 335 engine I believe they would have to deal with turbo lag as well... a quite serious one

Sometimes I feel that all of you are with Porsche no matter what..
    We are customers we give our MONEY which we have worked in order to earn and we excect that with the ammount of money we give to take the best result..
    No matter if we buy a Porsche a Ferrari or an Airplane...
    I cant understand why you insist on saying that Porsche did a great job on the sound (I read that too) on not lanching PDK gearbox, on not making the new turbo 500+ hp on not saying that eliminated lag from the beginning or on not making an option the carrera GT seats etc...
    You are all so happy (not only with the 997tt) but with everything Porsche Does..

You react like you work for Porsche or like you have stocks in this company!
    It is really strange...

You mean a roots type blower.

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    We are customers we give our MONEY which we have worked in order to earn and we excect that with the ammount of money we give to take the best result..
    I cant understand why you insist on saying that Porsche did a great job on the sound (I read that too) on not lanching PDK gearbox, on not making the new turbo 500+ hp on not saying that eliminated lag from the beginning or on not making an option the carrera GT seats etc...
    You are all so happy (not only with the 997tt) but with everything Porsche Does..

It is really strange...

That summed it up pretty good... thanks

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It is really strange...

I agree In trying not to give too much Porsche failed to give enough

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It is really strange...

Relax. Nobody is claiming Porsche got it right with the sound, nor did anyone say anything about the Turbo having enough power (although, honestly, are you good enough to harness all of it?).
    You are too sensitive, gecause you want Porsche to build a Ferrari. Yes, Porsche didn't do enough, but let's leave it at that. You have a Ferrari now, so I don't see why you are complaining...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It is really strange...

Relax. Nobody is claiming Porsche got it right with the sound, nor did anyone say anything about the Turbo having enough power (although, honestly, are you good enough to harness all of it?).
    You are too sensitive, gecause you want Porsche to build a Ferrari. Yes, Porsche didn't do enough, but let's leave it at that. You have a Ferrari now, so I don't see why you are complaining...

Maybe, when you're old enough to buy a turbo, you'll understand. Which is why he turned to Ferrari, because, Porsche couldn't deliver for him.

Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Porsche never said they eliminated the turbo lag. What they say is that with VTG it is possible to achieve higher turbine speed, and thus higher boost pressure, at lower engine rpm than with a conventional turbine. That will reduce the turbo lag, not eliminate it.

Very True, but unfortunately it has not even been reduced. In comparison with the 996 GT2, the lag has actually increased.

Amir

Yikes! You're the only one to admit this. Thanks for your candor.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I was also totally snookered by these so called journalist. Everything from Road and Track to Popular Mechanics stated turbo lag was elimated. Bunch of Parrots!!!

Thanks for the review.
    It really is very interesting how so many new turbo owners are noting the lag,...I have to admit that between the Porsche Marketing department and the journalists, I wa really expecting there to be little lag.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It is really strange...

Maybe, when you're old enough to buy a turbo, you'll understand. Which is why he turned to Ferrari, because, Porsche couldn't deliver for him.

Spoken like a true car salesman. Why are you here anyway?

Sorry, I'm not going to sit and listen to people with too much money complaining about the turbo without adding my 2 cents.
    It's a bleeping turbo: i.e. lag; if you don't want lag buy a n/a big block. Is anyone here really capable of exploiting the turbo's limits. Very few I suspect.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, the tt is a fantastic piece of technological artwork.Quit nitpicking.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It is really strange...

Spoken like a true car salesman. Why are you here anyway?

He is right I wanted to buy a 997tt i was 2nd on the delivery list but i canceled my order! I want to get rid of my 997s and i still want to buy a Porsche car. Porsche's last chance for me is the new GT2. (as dont really want to buy neither GT3 RS (as I find it slow) nor Turbo anymore (as i dont think that suits up with my style of driving)

I had more that 5 Porsche cars all these years I drive! I cant recognize Porsche nowadays, and I was the first who when someone was talking about Ferrari cars i was telling him to buy a Porsche! now I am afraid I cant say that anymore...
    When Porsche produced boxster - cayenne i said it is ok it is going to earn Profits which will invest in the TOP MODEL cars. (911 Turbo GT2 etc) But I was terrible wrong...
    The only true Sportcar after 993 turbo S was the CGT which was really expensive for Greece (650.000 euros)

Quote:
    Crash said:

For me Porsche did a Great job in the new turbo...
    But it did this great job for a different target group.. Not for Porsche enthustiasts anymore...

Quote:
    devo said:
    Sorry, I'm not going to sit and listen to people with too much money complaining about the turbo without adding my 2 cents.
    It's a bleeping turbo: i.e. lag; if you don't want lag buy a n/a big block. Is anyone here really capable of exploiting the turbo's limits. Very few I suspect.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, the tt is a fantastic piece of technological artwork.Quit nitpicking.

Relax,
    I dont have so much money as you believe... I am just another guy like you.. and most of us here.. I just made a bigger step and i bought a Ferrari just to see how it is. (After 5 Porsche Cars)
    The problem is that i saw a different philosophy and a much sportier car that i was hoping for..
    If you drive a F430 you will understand what I mean..
    I dont care about Ferrari Porsche Lambo, I am just a consumer and i am telling you my thoughts. If you want think of them or else go to the next post

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763042 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435668 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260677 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257680 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80984 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808011 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM