Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo - clarifying my claims (again)

Apparently some people have misunderstood my post(s) about my (still somehow) short experience with the 997 Turbo.
    Or my English is worse than I actually thought. Take your pick.

1. the Tip is still my favorite choice for this car (and this is my FIRST sportscar EVER with an automatic tranny)
    2. the 997 Turbo is indeed more demanding than the 996 Turbo, it is definetely less "GT" (don't like this word but some people came up with it) than the 996 Turbo
    3. the 997 Turbo is more difficult to drive at the limit but on the other hand, the reachable limit is much higher than on the 996 Turbo, even if the test values in various car magazines don't seem to indicate that
    4. the difference between Tiptronic WITH Sport Chrono active and without is HUGE. I pitty anybody who ordered Tip (or even manual) without the Sport Chrono package. And if I would be Porsche, I would make it a standard option, minus that stupid looking stop watch on the dash.
    5. the exhaust sound got a tiny bit throatier, so maybe I should give the Turbo a chance in this department. I still can't believe that it will change drastically (to a better tone) though. My wife started to complaint today, so this is not something I just imagine.
    6. the Tip equipped cars don't need LSD, simply because the PTM takes care of a similar function together with the PSM and the Tip. The advantage of a networked design. If somebody claims the Tip equipped 997 Turbo has traction problems in tight bends, he must be nuts (or maybe never heard of a CLEAN DRIVING LINE).
    7. I started to worry about the seat quality (or my weight ) because my seat made some strange noises today, especially the seatback, like it was too "brake" soon.
    8. 997 Turbo Tip is at 300 kph in no time, so I somehow have doubts that the manual version is much faster
    9. Tip requires an adapted throttle/shifting style (some sort of "pre-emptive" action), you can't drive Tip like an ordinary automatic tranny, you'll be very disappointed. When you get used to the way, you'll love it since you have both hands free for the fun.
    10. Fast Back function of Tip is incredibly effective but you need to get used to it, first it felt like if a gear popped out or the boost pressure was cut off suddenly. Strange feel at first but works like a charm, love it!!!
    11. Tip manual mode works as fast and effective as a manual tranny, only difference is the start-off sequence from standstill where you still need the brake/torque trick.
    12. with Sport Chrono active, car shows heavy oversteer but as long as PSM is ON, this oversteer is controlled by the electronics. Try it, it is funny when the electronics actually smoothly take back control if you do it the wrong way. Turn PSM off and you better know how to drive this baby.
    13. DO NOT turn PSM off, only on the track and only if you really know what you're doing, meaning either having a racedriver license and/or past experience with driving fast 911 Turbos. With Sport Chrono turned ON, the electronics don't do anything as long as you keep it "clean" and fast. Try this: drive at around 80 mph and start turning the steering wheel to the left, to the right, to the left and so on. Do it for a couple of seconds and see what happens. Warning: I don't take any responsibility for any dangerous situation or even crash resulting from that. What happens on my car is simple: suddenly the brake kicks in and tries to stabilize the car. Obviously, of course without me applying the brake.
    14. you can be insanely fast with the 997 Turbo in curves. But be careful, the ride is a little bit "nervous" and you shouldn't worry too much about the mentioned oversteer because it is more likely that before you encounter that heavy oversteer, you'll loose control of the steering wheel. Keep a tight grip but not too tight and RESPECT this car. It is capable of incredible things but it can put you in a coffin too in no time.

Since I had the chance today to compare my Turbo Tip to a Turbo manual, here are a few impressions:
    1. starting-off from standstill, the manual is faster if the Tip doesn't use the brake/torque trick. But the second time, the manual had a pretty bad smelling clutch and the rear axle was stomping too, so you need a sensitive clutch/throttle foot with manual to achieve a good start-off.
    2. Tip is faster than manual under almost any driving conditions with the exception of starting off from standstill. Did up to 250 kph for comparison today, manual couldn't keep up, fell back aprox. five car lengths (acceleration from around 130 kph) and was still falling back at around 250. Of course there is that "magic" overboost thingie on my car where the overboost seems not to disappear after 10 seconds, this is why you should take my experience with caution because it may not be accurate. The manual Turbo had already 4000 km on the speedo, mine slightly less. Driver was pretty frustrated...
    3. Strangely enough, the manual car consumed practically the same fuel quantity like mine with Tip. The Trip Computer showed 17.5 litres, mine showed 17.8.
    4. in curves in bends, the Tip has a huge advantage of allowing the driver to keep both hands on the wheel. Especially when closing in to a curve, you just need to brake hard (PCCB works wonders in this domain), the Fast Back function kicks in and you can concentrate on the curve and exiting it (again, pre-emptive throttle action is needed, you need to press the throttle half a second or so earlier than with manual). The other Turbo wasn't able to do the same, the drive is at least at par with my driving skills (he does it for a living ). The other Turbo had the original brake and I drove it too, not even close to PCCB feel and performance but still very very good and better than the brake I knew from the 996 Turbo (however a few months have passed since I drove a 996 Turbo, so maybe this is just a false feeling).
    5. when the other 997 Turbo passed me once (I had to slow down because of a speed limit, my "friend" apparently overlooked it ) at full throttle, it sounded very nice, almost like a jet taking off but still not the sound I would expect from a sportscar (deep, throaty, etc.).
    6. a Cayenne S with S-WM2xxx license plate teamed up with us near Nuernberg, apparently a car from Porsche Germany to drive around VIPs for the Soccer World Championship. This guy was pretty curious, he tried to keep up with us...well...for a second or so...:p but since there was a lot of traffic, he was behind us in no time.

Conclusion: it is difficult to say that Tip is better or Manual is better, you really have to choose what fits YOU best. You can have full control of the car with Tip too, not only with manual but like I said before, it needs some sort of adaptation in throttle/shifting and even driving style. This is actually something I didn't expect in the beginning and it was quite frustrating. But with a few hints and after driving the car for a while, I really like Tip. Honestly. But of course it works completely different than the Tip on my wife's Boxster (which btw. feels more spontaneous from standstill and even at automatic downshifts but is clearly less adaptive and less involving).
    A last word regarding LSD because some people seem to expect wonders from it: LSD only is helpful if you already drive a CLEAN LINE and need that extra speed (usually only achievable by somebody like Walter Röhrl ) to exit the curve. Meaning: you need to be a 99% driver to profit from it. So forget about the LSD hype, it is nice to have it but better than LSD for the track are...Michelin Cup tires. Just a hint from the "other guy" with manual who btw. had Michelin Cups on his car and still had trouble to keep up with me in curves (he even told me he had to turn PSM off because I was "harming" his clean line due to the different driving style with Tip).

Now if somebody AGAIN reads something in my post which isn't true, I'll give me the bullet.

Re: 997 Turbo - clarifying my claims (again)

Quote:
    RC said:
    Did up to 250 kph for comparison today, manual couldn't keep up, fell back aprox. five car lengths (acceleration from around 130 kph) and was still falling back at around 250. Of course there is that "magic" overboost thingie on my car where the overboost seems not to disappear after 10 seconds, this is why you should take my experience with caution because it may not be accurate. The manual Turbo had already 4000 km on the speedo, mine slightly less. Driver was pretty frustrated...

thats important! so the tip is very very faster than MANUAL. i bought a manual! haha your booster is working bad?(better! but bad)? if u have this on always u have a big advantage, u know that.. what do u think about it? do u feel the difference with booster?

I would wait for more comparisons before you say the tip is much faster, remember RC's overboost stays on much longer than most cars apparently. Also, The fact that the driver you were racing had cup tires puts him at a disadvantage according to your words that the cup tires actually perform worse on the street because they don't heat up to operating temp, and cool down too quickly. According to other drivers, LSD is a significant improvement, enabling them to get the power down in tight corners where a non LSD car would spin it away.

So RC: from your description it looks like that you are driving in full auto mode, using kick-down to shift down, correct?

Have you driven in manual mode, using the buttons on the wheel?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    So RC: from your description it looks like that you are driving in full auto mode, using kick-down to shift down, correct?

Yes. But since those stupid buttons aren't even close to the "usability" of paddles, I rarely use the manual mode. The auto mode works fine but you have to get used to it (as a manual driver). Not sure about track racing and auto mode, will try in a few weeks.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I would wait for more comparisons before you say the tip is much faster, remember RC's overboost stays on much longer than most cars apparently. Also, The fact that the driver you were racing had cup tires puts him at a disadvantage according to your words that the cup tires actually perform worse on the street because they don't heat up to operating temp, and cool down too quickly. According to other drivers, LSD is a significant improvement, enabling them to get the power down in tight corners where a non LSD car would spin it away.

Trip:

1. the tires were warm (we had 33*C over here today, asphalt was more in the 40s) since we drove a lot today
    2. LSD is a significant improvement to drivers who are driving a clean driving line and have the capability of a Walter Röhrl (OK, I may exaggerate but you need to be a very good driver to REALLY profit from the LSD and that tiny extra traction you get under certain conditions)
    3. the temperature of the Cup tires doesn't have anything to do with straightline performance on the Autobahn

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Yes. But since those stupid buttons aren't even close to the "usability" of paddles, I rarely use the manual mode. The auto mode works fine but you have to get used to it (as a manual driver). Not sure about track racing and auto mode, will try in a few weeks.

You can get used to the tip rocker buttons. Like anything else, it is a matter of getting used to it. Paddles are fashionable but they have issues too.

I would urge you to master the manual mode using the steering wheel buttons and report back. Go ahead, you can do it.

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    thats important! so the tip is very very faster than MANUAL. i bought a manual! haha your booster is working bad?(better! but bad)? if u have this on always u have a big advantage, u know that.. what do u think about it? do u feel the difference with booster?

We still have to look into it as soon as we find out what is wrong with my overboost (staying on all the time at any rev figure). I wish it was true to be a gift from PAG but I doubt it. If it is a "feature", no problem. If it is a problem, I have to look into it before something serious happens.

You can definetely feel the difference with Sport Chrono OFF and without overboost and Sport Chrono ON and with overboost kicking in. I suppose many car journalists who claim they didn't feel the difference just concentrated on the difference between overboost kicking in and going off, not on how it feels compared to the setting with Sport Chrono off. I hope you get my point. Yes, the difference is VERY feelable, almost spectacular when you get 0.2 bar more boost. Like I said though: ONLY in comparison with the Sport Chrono OFF and full throttle and Sport Chrono ON and full throttle. You don't feel much difference when overboost kicks in and raises the boost from 1.0 to 1.2 bar.

I love reading your reviews RC , keep them coming.

Now if somebody AGAIN reads something in my post which isn't true, I'll give me the bullet.

NO BULLET NECESSARY!

I think I got it now. Your post is very helpful! It is not your English that is the problem. Some of us are trying very hard (maybe to hard) to comprehend the driving experience of the new 997TT. This, as you know is very hard to reduce to words.

Thanks RC, I very much appreciate your repeated efforts!

Great, thank you... these reviews are what I am looking for

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

We still have to look into it as soon as we find out what is wrong with my overboost (staying on all the time at any rev figure). I wish it was true to be a gift from PAG but I doubt it. If it is a "feature", no problem. If it is a problem, I have to look into it before something serious happens.

You can definetely feel the difference with Sport Chrono OFF and without overboost and Sport Chrono ON and with overboost kicking in. I suppose many car journalists who claim they didn't feel the difference just concentrated on the difference between overboost kicking in and going off, not on how it feels compared to the setting with Sport Chrono off. I hope you get my point. Yes, the difference is VERY feelable, almost spectacular when you get 0.2 bar more boost. Like I said though: ONLY in comparison with the Sport Chrono OFF and full throttle and Sport Chrono ON and full throttle. You don't feel much difference when overboost kicks in and raises the boost from 1.0 to 1.2 bar.

WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO ACTIVATE BOOSTER ALL TIME, ALL REVS!?
    U have a big advantage against us! enjoy your "problem" !!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Apparently some people have misunderstood my post(s) about my (still somehow) short experience with the 997 Turbo.
    Or my English is worse than I actually thought. Take your pick.

1. the Tip is still my favorite choice for this car (and this is my FIRST sportscar EVER with an automatic tranny)

Very interesting report!

What I do not understand: Given your observations why don't you like the Tip then

Just kidding

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    What I do not understand: Given your observations why don't you like the Tip then

Just kidding

Careful...don't forget Saturday.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Just kidding

Careful...don't forget Saturday.

Uuupppsss

Quote:
    But of course it works completely different than the Tip on my wife's Boxster (which btw. feels more spontaneous from standstill and even at automatic downshifts but is clearly less adaptive and less involving).

This is really strange IMO

Quote:
    A last word regarding LSD because some people seem to expect wonders from it: LSD only is helpful if you already drive a CLEAN LINE and need that extra speed (usually only achievable by somebody like Walter Röhrl ) to exit the curve. Meaning: you need to be a 99% driver to profit from it

Hm, what kind of argumentation is this? This is THE definitive sports car. A LSD is extremly helpful in fast corners IMO. And even if not... a lot of the features of the cars we are driving and discussing here are maybe not used, at least not often. But it's about fascination, engineering, abilities. And a 5-speed autobox and no LSD sounds like "AMG" and not like "porsches brand new turbo" to me.

Thanks A LOT RC.

I comletely agree.

Quote:

56. the Tip equipped cars don't need LSD, simply because the PTM takes care of a similar function together with the PSM and the Tip. The advantage of a networked design. If somebody claims the Tip equipped 997 Turbo has traction problems in tight bends, he must be nuts (or maybe never heard of a CLEAN DRIVING LINE).

a PTM could never substitue LSD. With LSD you could brake later and push sooner. A great advantage on track or an slipery surface.

Quote:

13. DO NOT turn PSM off, only on the track and only if you really know what you're doing, meaning either having a racedriver license and/or past experience with driving fast 911 Turbos. With Sport Chrono turned ON, the electronics don't do anything as long as you keep it "clean" and fast. Try this: drive at around 80 mph and start turning the steering wheel to the left, to the right, to the left and so on. Do it for a couple of seconds and see what happens. Warning: I don't take any responsibility for any dangerous situation or even crash resulting from that. What happens on my car is simple: suddenly the brake kicks in and tries to stabilize the car. Obviously, of course without me applying the brake.

or unless you have LSD!

Quote:

Since I had the chance today to compare my Turbo Tip to a Turbo manual, here are a few impressions:
    1. starting-off from standstill, the manual is faster if the Tip doesn't use the brake/torque trick. But the second time, the manual had a pretty bad smelling clutch and the rear axle was stomping too, so you need a sensitive clutch/throttle foot with manual to achieve a good start-off.

the PTM should avoid stomping axle. Why didn't the system put up to 100% of power to the front axle??? Strange behaviour of a networked PTM!

AM

Adnan,
    This strange PTM setup is what I was talking about with you today. IMO PTM is the greatest dissapointment in new Turbo.
    Yes, there is still turbo lag present but, most of us(wise one's!) expect it. But, I did not expect prone to oversteer behaviour in Sport mode. I like new, much more involving character of new Turbo. Know, we all know the most members of car press did not actually drive the car at all.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Strange behaviour of a networked PTM!

Was talking about manual.

Btw: about the LSD (braking late, exiting curve early), I hope you're joining the party on Saturday. I may prove you wrong.

RC even if you are faster than him around some turns that really doesn't prove anything other than the fact that your a better driver. LSD has its advantages, ask any race car driver. Even the magical PTM can benefit from LSD or else Porsche would not offer it and it would not have shaved a couple seconds off the ring time.

Quote:
    trip said:
    RC even if you are faster than him around some turns that really doesn't prove anything other than the fact that your a better driver. LSD has its advantages, ask any race car driver. Even the magical PTM can benefit from LSD or else Porsche would not offer it and it would not have shaved a couple seconds off the ring time.

"Ask any race car driver..." This is exactly what I meant, most drivers won't ever profit from it, thanks for proving my point. And Porsche offers the LSD on the manual, simply because the manual is not THAT networked like the Tiptronic and manual profits from LSD (besides the technical issue of offering LSD on Tip cars). Tough audience. Why don't you guys read the technical manual of the 997 Turbo (it has been uploaded and posted a while ago), this isn't only marketing talk but well explained fundemental technical information. I should finish that 997 Turbo FAQ I started...

When I said "ask any race car driver" I meant, ask anyone who really knows about the dynamics of high performance cars and they will tell you the advantages of LSD. I don't agree with you that you have to be a race car driver to experience the benefits of LSD because I have read reviews of owners who said the LSD makes the car easier to control in tight turns. They have also said it makes the car feel more controlled at the limit. I have read the PDF training doc you mentioned. The reason Porsche didn't offer the LSD for Tip is not because of the "networked systems" and in no Porsche literature do they claim that LSD is not necessary on Tip cars because of the PTM networked with Tiptronic etc. They didn't offer LSD on Tip cars because it doesn't fit, plain and simple. I think you should encourage people who buy Manual to buy LSD because it helps with the nervous and oversteer prone handling balance that you described. That is attractive from a safety standpoint.

Quote:
    trip said:
    The reason Porsche didn't offer the LSD for Tip is not because of the "networked systems" and in no Porsche literature do they claim that LSD is not necessary on Tip cars because of the PTM networked with Tiptronic etc. They didn't offer LSD on Tip cars because it doesn't fit, plain and simple.

Indeed, it is not mentioned anywhere about a special PTM setup exclusive to Tiptronic equipped cars.

The PTM on Tiptronic equipped cars does not make up for a LSD. A manual/LSD equipped car has improved traction over Tiptronic, period. This improvement is not only useful on a race track, but also on snow, ice, etc. You don't have to be a Walter to benefit from a LSD, don't understand where this statement comes from RC?

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    The reason Porsche didn't offer the LSD for Tip is not because of the "networked systems" and in no Porsche literature do they claim that LSD is not necessary on Tip cars because of the PTM networked with Tiptronic etc. They didn't offer LSD on Tip cars because it doesn't fit, plain and simple.

Indeed, it is not mentioned anywhere about a special PTM setup exclusive to Tiptronic equipped cars.

The PTM on Tiptronic equipped cars does not make up for a LSD. A manual/LSD equipped car has improved traction over Tiptronic, period. This improvement is not only useful on a race track, but also on snow, ice, etc. You don't have to be a Walter to benefit from a LSD, don't understand where this statement comes from RC?

How about inept analysis coloured by inaccurate preconceptions

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    A manual/LSD equipped car has improved traction over Tiptronic, period. This improvement is not only useful on a race track, but also on snow, ice, etc. You don't have to be a Walter to benefit from a LSD, don't understand where this statement comes from RC?

Maybe you just don't understand the new technology?
    Maybe the Formula One would be a good example to start: have you ever wondered why electronic traction systems are forbidden? The emphasis lies on electronic.

There is no "pure" driving anymore, cars are influenced more and more by electronics which not only help to drive safer but also to drive faster, depending on the setup and the willingness of the engineers to allow more or less intrusion and limitations of such systems.

But if you guys know better, thats fine with me. But don't say I didn't tell you when a car with Tiptronic makes you "nass" like we say here.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    How about inept analysis coloured by inaccurate preconceptions

And this statement comes from somebody who changes his opinion and options faster and more often than his underwear.

When Sport Auto will publish Nordschleife and Hockenheim times for both TIP and manual(with LSD) version discussion about LSD will become more interesting... Sport Auto will have manual with LSD, PCCBs and Sport tires for Supertest. But, they already measured both versions...
    What will be your comments why is manual(LSD) faster on both tracks then TIP? I guess von Saurma is not in your league when driving TIP version?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    When Sport Auto will publish Nordschleife and Hockenheim times for both TIP and manual(with LSD) version discussion about LSD will become more interesting... Sport Auto will have manual with LSD, PCCBs and Sport tires for Supertest. But, they already measured both versions...
    What will be your comments why is manual(LSD) faster on both tracks then TIP? I guess von Saurma is not in your league when driving TIP version?

You don't understand (again). I always said that NON-professional drivers profit from the TIP setup more than from manual with LSD. Seems I should really brush up my English. Again: LSD does NOT make somebody a better driver, it just allows to squeeze out the last possible amount of traction to gain a second or so on the Nordschleife. And we're talking about a track of more than 20 km length. And yes, I really think that Horst v. Saurma is NOT used to TIP, simply because it requires adaptation. He may learn fast and adapt fast but one round with Tip wouldn't be enough because it requires a change of throttle/braking operation.

But I apologize, I didn't know that half of us here are v. Saurmas and the other half Walter Röhrls.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753179 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430758 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258611 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255473 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79530 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868361 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM