Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: A rumor? Not anymore. 997 is official now!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    but the 997 will definitely look better than the 996.the overall proportions are somehow more athletic.

But will it look better than the 996 TT/4S/GT2 models? Regarding "athletic proportions", I think those are the most beautiful 911s ever built.

RC, Any word on....

what types of transmissions will be available? In particular, do you think some kind of DSG (Direktschaltgetriebe) will offered in the 997 or will we have to wait for the 998 for this?

TIA

Gregor

Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    if the S version has 370 HP, I better did to cancel the order for the GT3!

So, let's expect to see the "Parisiens" with their new 997 this summer in the Cote D'Azur!

Gee, that's sounds like a logical decision...
    The 996 GT3 will still drive circles around that car and you will be still giving up 30 HP. The GT3 dyno's in reality at about 400HP at the flywheel and has the race bred motor, better brakes, better suspension and lighter weight to boot. May want to re-think that one Captain!!!

I understand the captain's position

GT3 and Carrera are very different cars in character.
    Captain is like me, he wants all of them, he's a passionate man and as result doesn't know which one to go for!
    I've finally decided to wait for the 997 and then take a decision, considering that it'll appear soon, should be ok.
    GT3 will provide the best driving experience.
    But considering I exploit about 50% of my C4C capabilities, it'll be worst with the GT3
    Hypothetic 997 C2S cab 370hp could be the best of both world for me.
    -Sportier in its character than my C4 due to 2WD.
    -Honestly, between the old and the new design, franckly I'd rather have the new.
    -Safer than GT3 thanks to PSM.
    -And still the joys of open top driving which I love, and let's be honest, works better with the chicks (I know, sad, but I'm not perfect)
    -Won't be as rigid as the coupe of course, but I won't care.
    And then, after a few proper lessons of mastering the car on the track without PSM and years of practice and experience, I'll buy myself a 999GT3R that I'll tow to the track with my Cayenne Turbo MK3!

Re: I understand the captain's position

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    -And still the joys of open top driving which I love, and let's be honest, works better with the chicks

Yeah, specially when its chilly outside and they are wearing a tight T-shirt, right?

I preffer the C2S vs the GT3 also because in my case:

- I sometimes need the rear seats and more likely in the near furure
    - I like driving "sportly" in the wet/rain and we get plenty in the winter so PSM is good, its not the first time its helped
    - and most important I would have to park the GT3 always outside becuase its ground clearance will not clear any of the 4 places I ussually park at daytime and/or overnight (my M030 C4 barely does and with rubbing of the front lip frequently).

But the C2S need to be light (like a C2), have more ponies than a standard C2/C4, and have a sportier chasis setup. Otherwise I'm not biting the hook.

BTW Fancho, why do you suspect there will be a C2S Cab? I get the feeling there won't be since it looks to be more sport oriented than the the C4S. Any info or hints RC?

Quote:
    BTW Fancho, why do you suspect there will be a C2S Cab?

Pure speculation man.
    more than 30% of 911 are cabriolets. Would be a shame to miss out on extra sales no
    And as always, if you look at the company's history, there has always been a cab version of a coupe model (except Turbo, which raises the reason, is the 996 turbo a future collector, or will there also be a 997 Turbo cab?)
    That's if you except the GT series of course (RS, GT2, GT3)
    But then, if you look at the company's history, there has never been an S version intro at the same time as the standard model either. Confusing hey?
    We've seen proper pics of 997 wide bodies and normal bodies.
    so wait and see...

Quote:
    rockitman said:
    Gee, that's sounds like a logical decision...
    The 996 GT3 will still drive circles around that car and you will be still giving up 30 HP. The GT3 dyno's in reality at about 400HP at the flywheel and has the race bred motor, better brakes, better suspension and lighter weight to boot. May want to re-think that one Captain!!!

It's not a matter of power.
    As you said the GT3 "should" have better brakes, better suspensions and lighter weight in comparison to the new 997 C2S. However it bothers me that I spent one year earlier 110.000 euros and then I have a car that is already "old" (let's interpretate the brackets in the wright way ) and there is a similar version of 370HP but that is "normal" (again brackets).
    I admit that I am not able at the moment to use 80 % of the capabilities of a GT3 but I still want a car that gives some sensations much more harder than a "normal" Carrera 2!
    You may not beleive that but I have more fun with the 147 GTA than the Carrera 2, and this first one is FWD and has only 260 HP!
    Therefore I am not looking forward to buy a 997C2S but I am not looking forward to buy either a GT3....996!

Fanch, Carlos...I agree with your assertions that from a comfort and practicality standpoint, the new 997S would be the choice and make more sense...Still it bekons me to wonder...Why would someone order a GT3 in the first place if comfort and practicality were their priorities in the first place???

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    GT3 and Carrera are very different cars in character.
    Captain is like me, he wants all of them , he's a passionate man and as result doesn't know which one to go for!

All all all all all all all....
    996 Turbo
    996 C2S
    996 GT1
    996 GT2
    996 GT3
    996 GT4...ehm...doesn't exist

Honestly I don't mind having an extreme car for everyday use, I might sound repetitive but the 997 has definetely stopped me to purchase the GT3!

Quote:
    rockitman said:
    Fanch, Carlos...I agree with your assertions that from a comfort and practicality standpoint, the new 997S would be the choice and make more sense...Still it bekons me to wonder...Why would someone order a GT3 in the first place if comfort and practicality were their priorities in the first place???

Thinking in a logical way, there would be no sense, but in real life, I guess you know, people want to satisfy them in a way or another, feel kind of different from others, distinguish themselves and personally I accept this opinion because we are free to live our life in the way we want as far as we don't disturb others!

Quote:
    rockitman said:Still it bekons me to wonder...Why would someone order a GT3 in the first place if comfort and practicality were their priorities in the first place???

I agree, that why there seems to be so many used GT3's with low miles back in the dealerships in the US returned by their original owners for sale again. The GT3 is a very special or particular car that is not meant for everyone, and people who bought it just becuase it was the "hot" Porsche at the moment found out too late. On the other hand its the perfect weapon for other people.

Personally, I LOVE the GT3 if practicality wasn't an issue but it is unfortunately, and also I have to impose myself some safety features like an AWD or PSM even if it goes in detriment of perfromance at the limit since I'm an agressive driver rain or shine and I'm not a profesional driver. Its not like the GT3 is unmanageable, in a sportbike you have to manage up to 3 times better power-to-weight ratio on a contact patch the size of a cigarrett pack with only one rear wheel and no T/C, but the GT3 can be a handfull in everyday situations on the street depending on how you drive it. OTOH confort is not an issue with me, I don't care if the seat is made of nails like a fakir bed if it handles better, I'll take it

I keep wondering how in the hell are they going to improve on the GT3 with the next 997GT3? the have set the satndard way high

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

But the C2S need to be light (like a C2), have more ponies than a standard C2/C4, and have a sportier chasis setup. Otherwise I'm not biting the hook.

Well I would not bet on this. I really don't expect a C2 with more than 340hp and I'm quite sure we won't see a C2S before end of 2005.

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote:
    -And still the joys of open top driving which I love, and let's be honest, works better with the chicks (I know, sad, but I'm not perfect)

formal objection!!

from my own experience no car works better with chicks than a GT3 (RS) with clubsport package! no kidding! this is raw!

gals love convertibles but they prefer coupé guys which they then try to convince to go for a convertible because it would be so nice to drive to the sea blah blah... and if you decline the girl will love you even more because otherwise you'll get boring

(and since you fanch have access to a SL500 why bother with another convertible)

but maybe we have a different target audience?

(erm, please don't take this too serious!!!)

Hi Guys.

If i bought a 997 or even a 996, with some exceptions of going to the beach or show the guys that i have a Mercedes SLK, the porsche would be my daily driver, so things like psms (we in Portugal have the highest score of accidents (mostly deadly) in Europe) and rear seats would help me a lot.

From what i understand, the gt3 is car with a bigger learning curve and more demaning than a regular 996.

So, if i'm not a master of a weel in a regular Porsche why should i buy a gt3?

Looks?Hey, i buy a carrera 4 with aerokit, aftermarket lowered suspension, gt3 weels, remove the back logo and put a gt3 logo and i bet 98% of the people wont note the diference.

Unfortunally for me i'm not a guy that makes great (let's say rally) things with any car so for me i would go for a 997 or even a 996 if the 997 would be delayed or if i didnt like the car.

As far as chicks go, as long you have a car that is somewhat of a dream (Ferrari, Porsche, etc...) chicks will dig everything.

If there's a car that means sex i think it would be the Lambo Diablo Roadster.

I have a friend that has one and if that car could speak i bet the divorce statistics in Portugal would increase dramaticaly.

That's my view.

Best Regards Guys.

Quote:
    paulorangelmelo said:
    I have a friend that has one and if that car could speak i bet the divorce statistics in Portugal would increase dramaticaly.

hahahahaahahahahahha

Fanch use of Porsche

Fanch needs an all season use car for everything, don't you Fanch?

997 Spy shots-

From another forum:

Re: 997 Spy shots-

another

and the last

look what i found
    A drawing by Harald Becker, an ex-porsche designer.

Spot the 997 traits

Other than the awkward cut lines at the hood/light interface I'd say I prefer the Harald Becker version to the existing (albeit p-shopped yet presumptive) 997 pics.

I kinda like the 996's subtle yet purposeful stance. The 997's wheel arches seems too "american"... by that I mean overdone and for little to no real purpose

FWIW from a happy (and yes american) 996 owner

Lon, these pictures have been already shown on Rennteam.com a while ago. The pic showing the test mule from the front is slightly photoshopped but it shows pretty much what the new 997 looks alike. The rear shot shows a camouflaged 997, the rear lights are longer and slightly bigger in height.

Don't worry guys, official pictures are soon too be published, latest in march or as latest as april as far as I heard. You'll see them all here on Rennteam.com.

Looks like the front spoiler won't drag as much as the 996TT.

Really the best front end design was the original 996. The headlights blended with the hood properly. The updated 996 and 997 have a really line breaking up the hood / bumper /fender area. I still think, they should have made the Boxster look different, not the 996.

Please let me try again.....

Since nobody picked up on my question from last Friday, I'd like to try again.

Any ideas on what types of transmissions will be available in the upcoming 997? In particular, do you think that some kind of double clutch transmission, similar to the DSG (Direktschaltgetriebe) that is currently available in Audi's TT models, is going to be offered in the 997 or will we have to wait for the 998 for this?

TIA

Gregor

Re: Please let me try again.....

Gregor,

I think these are the questions that are not clear for anyone yet. I have heard double clutch, limited slip differential (LSD), 19" wheels and so forth. But none yet confirmed these are all assumptions.

I'm sure by March if not anything we'll get some official mini-news from Porsche regarding the 997.

Thanx Ron!

I appreciate the reply and am looking forward to March!!!

Gregor

Re: Please let me try again.....

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Since nobody picked up on my question from last Friday, I'd like to try again.

Any ideas on what types of transmissions will be available in the upcoming 997? In particular, do you think that some kind of double clutch transmission, similar to the DSG (Direktschaltgetriebe) that is currently available in Audi's TT models, is going to be offered in the 997 or will we have to wait for the 998 for this?

TIA

Gregor

Sorry, I overlooked your post.
    There is a rumor (oh yes... ) that Porsche plans some kind of sequential shifting system for their future models. I cannot say if it will be a "real" sequential shifting, a DSG system or something else. I also know (no rumor ) that Weissach is working hard on improving the Tiptronic system on their future models. Apparently some people at Porsche think that a true sequential shifting system doesn't make sense on most Porsche models and I somehow tend to agree.
    Talking about the 998 would be a little bit too early, don't you think so? We're still waiting for the 997.

Thank you RC...

I certainly agree with you that it's probably just a little bit too early to be talking about the 998! However, in your post you mentioned "their future models" twice..... By this, do you mean the 997 or are you referring to some models AFTER that?

Thanx again!

Gregor

Re: Thank you RC...

Thank you, RC, and, now that you've confirmed the 997, can you also confirm that there will be NO Turbo at launch of the 997?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689981 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409457 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255848 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858209 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774331 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM