Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Malcontent in Turbo Land: An Explanation

Malcontent in the Turbo Land: A Change in The Climate of the Sports Car World

Disclaimer to the reader: I am hardly the expert on this discussion. I am 21 years old, do not own any of the cars discussed in the post. I do not own a Porsche. My association is through an appreciation for the model. I've driven many of them. I have friends who work on GT class Porsche teams (LNS Motorsports), I have friends who own Ps/Fs/Lambos. I don't claim to make personal assessments about the models (e.g. Porsche is way sexier, handles better etc ). This is more of an analysis of the status of these companies through various lenses.

Brief history:

As an avid reader/poster on rennteam, I've noticed a trend of late that has yeilded a sense of disapointment in the direction of Porsche cars, mostly in correlation to their status in comparison to their competitors. Die-hard fans/owners such as MKSGR have expressed a lot of anxiety about the state of new models, most aptly the 997 Turbo. Most of this worry is related to how the turbo has lost its title as "king" of its class. Of course, this is a purely comparitive statistic. The notion of "king turbo" can be attributed to the introduction of the 964 Turbo and subsequently the 993 Turbo. Resting on the laurels of the 930 turbo (300hp) and "technological advancements" of the 959, it seemed to make a drastic jump in the realm of performance, leaving its competition in the dust with an astonishing 320 hp (compared to the Ferrari 348). The 993 was even more astounding, with a large jump to 400+ hp which was massive at the time. It was a raw beast. My personal driving experience with the 993tt was one of fright. Wheelspin and oversteer fomenting as I felt raw power overcomming technology and 4WD. The Turbo put superior performance on the table to its stated rival, the Ferrari 355. The 355 boasted 380hp and its naturally aspirated V8 had a harder time coming up with its torque at lower rpms, resulting in slower 0-60 times and slower 1/4 miles.

The introduction of the next generation of the turbo left many fans scratching their heads. The 996 Turbo had very few empirical statistical upgrades over the 993. A minor power upgrade (to 420hp) as well as a weight increase left the hardcore fans somewhat upset prior to its launch. My personal driving experience with the 996TT was pleasant and extremely exciting, but more tame than the 993, surely. It was most definitely a more refined product. What Porsche seemed to focus on instead of its raw performance was its suspension setup and AWD system, as well as its commodifications and luxury addons. Its competition also modified its product. The Ferrari 360 Modena was a marginal upgrade in terms of emprical numerics, but its increased aerodynamics was moreso the story (similar to the 996).

However, with the introduction of the F430 in 2004-5, many Porsche supporters were worried. The F430's NA V8 boasts 490hp at a diabolical 8500 rpms. Coupled with a much improved suspension, a refined F1 transmission (refined from the days of the 355 F1) and actually valid statistics (namely weight and power), the F430 was giving its German rival a very high benchmark to pass.

Days before the introduction of the offical specs for the 997 Turbo, many posters on Rennteam, especially RC, expressed worry about the new turbo. They pleaded for a model that would make a statement about Porsche, that would make it clear that the playing field was not leveling; that Ferrari and Lambroghini were not making strides to even the game. People asked for the magic 5 number (500bhp). However, we were given a car with 480hp.
    Many expressed unease and many were worried. Nevertheless, the introduction of features such as VTG, PSM/PASM integration and a newly refined tiptronic S/ Sports Chrono Package had assuaged many fears prior to the next stage of anticipation: the magazine figures.

With the introduction of several comparitive magazine reports, a slavo of mixed responses have arisen. Many are upset about the quarter mile figures (the Turbo struggles to compete with the Corvette Z06, while seemingly on par or perhaps a tinge better than the F430). Many are asking why this seeming trend of parity has existed, right infront of the eyes of PAG for the last 10 years

An explanation

The leveling of the playing field of cars within this comparitive bracket (100-200k sportscars: multifunctional, stylistically independent, performative above else), in my opinion is a result of corporate commodification and globalization. They first plays a large factor in Porsche's decision making with the introduction of new vehicle lines. The latter playing a deciding factor in the parity of quality that seems to be introduced by competitors of Porsche (F/L/MB to a certain extent).

In an age where profit margins make for happy investors, these independent profit conscious car companies must pander to the will of the market, and the market has spoken. This price bracket is most ideally targeted via a well performing pseudo GT sportscar that is multifunctional, comfortable, safe and stylistic. The success of the MB SL55 accentuates this. The shift in the ideology of the 911 Turbo reinforces it.

Innovation

Where does innovation come from? It does not come from car companies; rather it comes from engineers and pioneers. PAG is filled with innovative engineers which create awe-inspiring technological advancements. The VTG turbochargers featured in the 911 turbo are the most recent example of this technology (as well as past breakthroughs like PCCBs, the CGT's Ceramic Clutch etc etc...)

However, when your engineers do not have the final word on your product, the innovative process is diluted and quelled to a certain extent. The lack of innovation in regards to the transmission of the 997 Turbo has left many irrate. Porsche falls behind its competitors in terms of creating a sequential transmission to complement its 6-speed manual. Instead, relying on an antiquated yet refined (seems to be the modus operandi at Porsche eh ) 5 speed tiptronic s derivative from Mercedes Benz, many prospective buyers were beguiled by the lack of the PDK technology that seems to buzz around the ears of every Porsche forum.

Why is there no PDK? Many PAG execs/PR people will say the technology is not ready, but the underlying buzz is that PAG wants to unload the outdated Tips and roll out the PDK to boost sales on future models (possibly Turbo S/GT2). This doesn't seem to be the thought process of an engineer, but the thoughtprocess of a financial advisor...

-------------
    Competition

The competition for the 911 Turbo has clearly been shaped by economic factors, as a result of the market in the 100-200k GT/Sportscar bracket. Accordingly, the success of cars within this range are clearly correlated to the demand of the market.

If you want to quantify the competitors now, its almost as easy as reading the rhetoric of Porsche itself. In the official 997 Turbo Product Information guide, Porsche outlines these competitors and it presents its own slant towards its product's superior qualities. The competition is as follows (according to Porsche):

Mercedes Benz SL55
    Mercedes Benz SL600
    Lamborghini Gallardo
    Ferrari F430
    Aston Martin DB9
    BMW M6

For the sake of a more balanced and sportscar conscious view, I think the SL600 should be replaced by the more pertinent Z06.

There were days when the 911 Turbo would blow its competition out of the water in almost any quantifiable category. In my opinion, however, the superlative factor for the new Turbo over the field (in my opinion) is as follows:

-better traction via a superior technological AWD/PASM integration system, resulting in superior 0-100kmph times

In my opinion there is no other factor the Turbo offers that is a superlative factor over the competition. Many would counter that the turbo has many superior factors over some of these competitiors, and they are right. The new Variable Turbine Geometry turbochargers offer far superior torque spread to competitors, most notably the F430. However, it is negligble to torque monsters such as the SL55 and Z06, whose displacement counters its technology.

The 997TTs slim physique (weight) is great, compared to the SL55 or M6 or even the DB9, but it pails in comparison to the Z06 and even the F430.

Its comfort, security and backseating comodities are far superior to the F430, Z06 and the M6, but they pail in comparison to the Z06 and even the DB9.

So what are we to think?

The result of corporate profiteering will show an inundation of products from Porsche that smell fishy, in that they aren't as good as they should be (e.g. the 997GT3RS versus the 997GT3, the lack of sunroof delete option for the US models, the dubious power rating of the 997 Turbo in lieu of the introduction of the Turbo S and the GT2 etc...).

This corporate profiteering also rubs off on the dissemination of technological advancements via globalization. Top-tier engineers are no longer tied to one company forever. Furthermore, competitors are more able to utilize technologies/stylistics of competitors to their own technological research. The quintessential example of this, of course, is Lambroghini.

After being purchased by Audi, Lambroghini, which was always known for its flair and untameable nature, seems to have been complimented by a more stern and methodical engineering process. The result is a more dynamic suspension and drivetrain and far superior quantitative figures (i.e. Nurburgring times for the Gallardo of 7:50; very impressive indeed).

This partnership exemplifies the synthesis of strengths via different cultural forces to provide a product of quality and style; a synthesis of cultures and perspectives into a beautiful package. Even so, the Lambos struggle to be profitable in such a difficult market segment and Audi has worries about its flagship vehicles...

Conclusion: A Superior Compromise

The 997 Turbo is not an overaching car of superior build, style, performance, driving enjoyment. Why? In today's modern age of globalization and corporate profiteering, to achieve this is simply impossible.
    What it is, in my opinion, is the best compromise within the market segment . It offers the strengths from almost each brand rolled into one overarching product (power of the F430, comfort of the SL, trackability of the Z06, traction of the Lambo).

If you want stylistics and flair, go for the F430 or the Gallardo (although the Gallardo is very nice in many other fields as well).
    If you want safety and comfort, go for the MB/AM.
    If you want sheer performance for a great price go for the Z06.

That is not to say that these cars are saddled by these traits, but they are their defining traits .

For the 997 Turbo, its defining trait is overall excellence instead of glaring superlatives within some fields.

For those who don't want a car of compromises, you should look into RUF or perhaps a GT2 (hopefully its PSM won't put it out of the picture as well).

Re: Malcontent in Turbo Land: An Explanation

A very impressive analysis, but I must disagree on a few areas, the Turbo offers better safety than any of the cars mentioned except possibly the SL55/600 (although has a major traction advantage. I don't see how you can say that the Z06 or AM has better safety than the Turbo. I also can't see why you would say Z06 offers better rear seats when it in fact has none. I think the turbo is superior to all mentioned cars in performance accept for Z06, safer than all mentioned cars, and offers better traction/usable performance than any in the group. In the real world, point to point, I doubt any of these cars can match the Turbo.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    For those who don't want a car of compromises, you should look into RUF or perhaps a GT2 (hopefully its PSM won't put it out of the picture as well).

Sigh...Including myself, I cannot find anything in this world that is without compromise...

Sadly that sounds very true.

yes its your opinion.. but i still think that the TT its the best car of the category. you have all qualities in one car. and you can be sure, no other car can do a 0 to 100km/h in my side with a TT. for my use its the best car , no doubt

Well, a part of the history is that, prior to Luca Cordero di Montezemolo becoming head of Ferrari, they had slid pretty badly in both F1 and street cars. He introduced a program of getting F1 leadership back (Schumacher was brought in), introduced the Ferrari heritage of owner raced cars (Ferrari Challenge), and limited total production to 7000 cars per year to maintain quality at the scale they had. His first new model was the F355 which was quite an improvement from the 348. And so on. He is now head of the parent Fiat. This history is to show that while part of the closing the gap was Ferrari getting their act together and coming closer to the Porsche standard, which was always kept at a high level (perhaps 914 aside). It cannot be expected that Porsche would make the same steps up from the level that they were already at. The big question is, what will be expected in 3 years in terms of performance for a leadership position.

Similar to how the clock speed of the CPU is less relevant in PCs now and the megapixels are less important above 10 in digital cameras.....if 0-60 and top speed is no longer to show large improvement because we are there at the likely usable limit, what next for leadership?

Well done writing piece!

David

Excellent analysis Hurst!
    New 997 Turbo is the BEST COMPROMISE. Problem was(and is, IMO) that Porsche decided to compete against too wide range of competitors... F430, Gallardo, Vette Z06-this is the group that will go against 997 Turbo manual(with optional LSD). On the other hand pure GTs like M6,AM DB9, SL55/65AMG will face 997 Turbo TIP.
    Also, 997 Turbo engine is pretty much at the limit... Let me explain this litte bit-480hp was achived with VTGs and boost pressure of 1.2bar(with SC) so, pushing the pressure could potentialy damage VTGs(we do not knoe yet how reliable they are, specially on long term!). That is bringing us to X50 power kit(or future 997 Turbo S)-we will probably have 3746ccm engine in power kit! Of course with around 515hp but, with same torque(680Nm/2000-6000rpm). But , this is just a rumor(although directly from P.!)...
    And competition is getting better and better! New Audi R8 will be awsome car, trust me! Base version with 4.2L 420hp dry sump engine will be faster then 997S with X51 in straight line acceleration and on the Hockenheim or Nordschleife... And this car will cost 95.000Euro in Germany(with full equipment, Ceramic brakes standard maybe!!). More powerfull version will have 5.2L V10 with 520hp because from MY2008 Gallardo will have DI engine with 550hp!
    This info is directly from Audi's internal R8 preproduction presentation. BTW, I saw few pics of exterior and interior and it will be the best build car in its class. Interior specially is awsome. Two gear boxes, manual and sequential,
    and lots of interesting goods...

Quote:
    trip said:
    A very impressive analysis, but I must disagree on a few areas, the Turbo offers better safety than any of the cars mentioned except possibly the SL55/600 (although has a major traction advantage. I don't see how you can say that the Z06 or AM has better safety than the Turbo. I also can't see why you would say Z06 offers better rear seats when it in fact has none. I think the turbo is superior to all mentioned cars in performance accept for Z06, safer than all mentioned cars, and offers better traction/usable performance than any in the group. In the real world, point to point, I doubt any of these cars can match the Turbo.

Perhaps I was unclear in my wording. I meant that the Turbo is not superior in every category, where the competitors have superlatives in individual categories.

For example, the z06 may/may not be the superior performer.
    The SLs are the superior GT (safety, comfort, gas tank).
    The F430 is the superior head turner (ask nberry ).

The turbo is not the best at everything, but in all fields it scores high enough to give you what you need

Quote:
    Artistboy said:

Similar to how the clock speed of the CPU is less relevant in PCs now and the megapixels are less important above 10 in digital cameras.....if 0-60 and top speed is no longer to show large improvement because we are there at the likely usable limit, what next for leadership?

Well done writing piece!

David

You are quite accurate in your assesment. As these cars continue to improve, we are reaching an almost eventalization point for the relevance of 0-60mph performance figures. The minute difference is .2 seconds etc can almost be boiled down to tyre choice (not to mention AWD vs RWD).

The 0-200kmph benchmarks seems to be much more apt in comparison and I most probably should have used it as a more up to date measure of acceleration performance.
    It shows the strengths and weaknesses of different setups (e.g. AWD cars, except the Veyron, seem to dropout around 150-160kmph as a result of the burden of weight and powerloss via AWD, even though they excell at launch).

Thanks for a very thoughtful and comprehensive piece. Bottom line is that PAG is a publicly traded company that needs to deliver shareholder returns and sales and marketing , therefore, rules over engineering. The route the company has taken of minimising marginal costs whilst masquerading as giving its customers multitudes of choice is the best way of achieving this. Its difficullt for us die hard enthusiasts to swallow as the brand dilutes itself inexorably, but that is the price of independence for Porsche. Ferrari and Lamborghini cany rely on the Balance Sheets and largesse of others, but Porsche can't.

Excellent write-up Hurst!
    I think I have to second what you wrote about the financial people taking over... but I fear that is inevitable. Especially for an independant company like porsche, which HAS TO make profit. I can imagine that daughters like lambo and Ferrari are allowed to play even. It is a pitty though that the marketing goes at the cost of technology One probably has to go to real supercars like pagani or that new T1 made by the mclaren crew if you want a car without compromises. But that has never been the real domain of porsche I guess.
    -Joost-

very nice write up hurst..i enjoyed reading it , very well said

Great article - a really interesting read. Especially interesting for me at the moment as I ponder leaving the Porsche brand (albeit temporarily)...

The problem is that for once... Porsche is the master of none. In trying to make their car sort of good as a sports car and sort of good as a GT, they are easily eclipsed by those that specialize in one or the other.

"Its comfort, security and backseating comodities are far superior to the F430, Z06 and the M6, but they pail in comparison to the Z06 and even the DB9."

You might want to rethink that a bit.:)

And does anyone own a DB9 that starts up every time?

Optional first time start up on the DB9 is a feature....heightens the anticipation.

[Searching for the ghost of Lucas in the machine ]

Whilst not agreeing on a couple of points, overall I think this analysis stands for most of the Porsche product range. The all round excellence of the Boxster was a major factor in my choosing it compared to rivals that had more powerful engines and/or better straight line performance

It will be increasingly difficult for Porsche to compete with Ferrari, Lambo, etc. with its 911 platform.

While its competitors evolve their offerings (V8's, V10's, mid-engine layout, AWD etc.), Porsche is hitting a WALL with its 6 cylinder, rear-engine layout. Don't forget, the 6 cylinder can't go beyond 4.0 liters, which means they are already close to its development limit.

Perhaps they are simply trying to satisfy their loyal fans/customers by staying true with their original rear engined format, but physics are working against them.

The Cayman illustrates my point. Given a bit more power, it's mid-engine layout can easily outperform the C2. Not to mention its excellent (easy) handling!!

The PCGT was another excellent example of Porsche's engineering capabilities and the future of its model development. Unfortunately, they priced it out of reach for most Porsche enthusiasts, it sold poorly and was just discontinued.

Yes, it would have been nice to see the new 997TT outperform the competition, but I'm afraid those days are over - until someone at Porsche sees the light and develops a scaled-down version of the PCGT, with more luggage space, competitive pricing, non-turbo V8 etc.

Finally, while Porsche seems to be over playing its hand with S models, X51, Turbo S type engine upgrades, Mercedes-Benz is guilty of its own tricks. Their AMG models are limited to 155mph unless you opt for option 0-3-0, costing between $7,000 to $14,000!!! Why would anyone want a 500+HP vehicle limited to 155mph??

Cheers

Well written and analyzed. I agree the 997TT is a compromise on several levels.

Keep in mind that the 997TT will remain at its present level for several years while the competition 430, Gallardo, AM, MB, Corvette will have major improvements over the next few years.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Keep in mind that the 997TT will remain at its present level for several years while the competition 430, Gallardo, AM, MB, Corvette will have major improvements over the next few years.

Very true. The Gallardo is getting 550 HP for MY2008, which will demand that Porsche releases the Turbo S/X50 at least until that time. However, a question is in order, about how much further the cars can advance? The ever increasing repression on the roads and the physical limits, not to mention the price of fuel will probably take their toll on the entire industry, the first among them sports cars.

MP,

I respectively disagree on a couple of points. Being a sports car fan for many years (I'm 57 now). I've seen these arguments for over 30 years...the 911 just can't compete with it's rear ended engine. I wouldn't want to bet against the 911, they still win more sports car races than all the other manufactors and have done so ever since their introduction in 64. I still don't see any Boxsters or Caymans wining any races, and the Boxster has been around for at least 8 years. Don't get me wrong I think the Boxster is a great car and the Caymen as well, but the 911 is the car of choice for most. I'm not an engine expert and I don't understand why the flat 6 is limited to 4L, could you please inform me?

TIA,

Mike

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Excellent analysis Hurst!
    New 997 Turbo is the BEST COMPROMISE. Problem was(and is, IMO) that Porsche decided to compete against too wide range of competitors... F430, Gallardo, Vette Z06-this is the group that will go against 997 Turbo manual(with optional LSD). On the other hand pure GTs like M6,AM DB9, SL55/65AMG will face 997 Turbo TIP.

While I am somehow disappointed by the new 997TT (Manual and Tip) I could imagine why Porsche has positioned the new 997TT as they did:

Maybe Porsche has decided to refocus the TT product range: The 997TT (Manual and Tip) has been positioned as a true GT (lots of comfort, missing some of the true super sports car qualities); as a complementary offering the new GT2 might be positioned as a true super sports car with full day-to-day usability due to PSM or PSM like TC. I.e. the new GT2 might be less extreme than its predecssor (which would also enable Porsche to sell the new GT2 in much larger numbers than its predecessor)...

Essentially, in that scenario the former 996TTS would be "replaced" by two cars (997TT and GT2) both developing the old 996TTS into two different directions. As a consequence, the old GT2 concept would no longer be kept alive.

I think that such product strategy would make sense. I hope that is the way Porsche thinks

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    Optional first time start up on the DB9 is a feature....heightens the anticipation.

[Searching for the ghost of Lucas in the machine ]

A bit of added drama to spice up the ownership experience.

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    I'm not an engine expert and I don't understand why the flat 6 is limited to 4L, could you please inform me?

The main reason is that at 4L, each of the six cylinders is 667cc in displacement. The optimum size for cylinders is around 300-350cc for maximum power per displacement (see F1 motors). So, the best configuration for a 4L motor is actually a V-12.

667cc is getting too big for a high-performance high-rpm motor. Bigger cylinders means bigger/heavier pistons, valves, etc. At some point, the motors begin to lose efficiency and can no longer provide the same specific output (HP/Liter). There is too much reciprocating mass to run really high rpm (forces become too high for standard bearings and other engine internals, so rpm comes down and so does power. This is why the high revving GT3 is only 3.6L, while the 997S is 3.8L.

Also, with the current engine block, the cylinder walls get progressively thinner/weaker as you increase the bore. There is a limit...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Very true. The Gallardo is getting 550 HP for MY2008, which will demand that Porsche releases the Turbo S/X50 at least until that time. However, a question is in order, about how much further the cars can advance? The ever increasing repression on the roads and the physical limits, not to mention the price of fuel will probably take their toll on the entire industry, the first among them sports cars.

Disagree that hp/extreme styling/exhaust note alone/in combo translate to sales success.....G-car is a sales failure case study w/500hp+, released 2 yrs before 430....yet F didn't bother giving more than ?490hp to 430....but F sells 5K/yr 430; L sells 1K/yr (and falling, despite hp upgrades and Spyder release) G-cars.....

SL55 now has 515hp vs 997TT's 480hp; from what I hear, '07 SL55 sales have cooled considerably....perhaps 1-2K/yr pace; cars like SL55/997TT tend to have a 3yr product-cycle window of robust, 5Kish/yr sales, before they are no longer as fashionable; all the regular custs already have their copy; and sales plummet....the mkt realities of selling $150Kish GT cars to real-world buyers vs impressing a bunch of N-ring/0-xxx/xxxhp-obsessed rennteamers, many of whom aren't serious prospective buyers anyway....

Let's hope next evolution in sportscar tech is lighter-weight, high-strength materials....prob is that mfrs have shown no real ability to raise prices in past 10-15 yrs....hard to profitably sell any $150K+ car in sufficiently high volumes to offset R&D costs.....

Bragging rights are always interesting, but ultimately these are businesses that need to be sufficiently profitable for shareholders...and have scale to perform R&D to advance performance and safety techs in the arms race btwn P/F/MB, which are largely targeting the same buyer base for their mkt share of the <20K/yr global sales of $150K+ GT cars of any brand....

I feel (IMO) the comparisons between the aforementioned cars should be used as a reference point for chosing your car but that the cars should be seen as individuals and no one car should be seen as the ultimate winner or best car. It may be for you but not for me.
    Variety is the whole reason these cars exist.
    The point is fulfilling the desires of particular individuals wants, not needs, no one needs cars like these.
    I have had the privelage of owning some very "special" cars and (IMO) the previous model 996Turbo fulfilled all of my needs superbly and I am convinced that the new model will be as good and hopefully even better (if thatspossible).
    For my particular desires and wants it fits the bill perfectly.
    I want an attractive car and not one that shouts to loudly, like(IMO) a Ferrari or Lamborghini does for instance, I want my car to be reliable, unlike(IMO) say an Aston Martin, and I wish it to be more sports focused than say an MB or BMW.
    This is why the 997 turbo suits me.
    Others will have just as strong reasons why they want other cars in this particular "comparison" but it will not/should not be just about power, speed, acceleration, accomodation, design etc. Each of these elements will play a part in a particular persons choice to differing degrees.
    Whether a car has 480bhp or 550bhp is irrelevant if the overall pleasure/experience to a particular driver in the more powerful car is less than that felt in the less powerful car, in his opinion.

I hope the whole point of variety is about our individuality which is the spice of life?

Unless of course the whole debate really comes down to comparing the sizes of each others appendiges then thats where figures are important? (Not)

Thats me had my rant for the day. Cheers

Quote:
    mp said:
    While its competitors evolve their offerings (V8's, V10's, mid-engine layout, AWD etc.), Porsche is hitting a WALL with its 6 cylinder, rear-engine layout.

Well, hasn't that been said for the last - er - twenty years or so?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    mp said:
    While its competitors evolve their offerings (V8's, V10's, mid-engine layout, AWD etc.), Porsche is hitting a WALL with its 6 cylinder, rear-engine layout.

Well, hasn't that been said for the last - er - twenty years or so?

Thirty! That's why Porsche had the foresight to introduce the 928 as a 911 replacement back then.

Grant,

Thanks for the explanation. BTW I have a 97 993 C2 as well and dealer was begging me to trade in on my 997 TT. I really like the looks of the 993 C2 & C4 (turbos as well) and will probably keep it as my other daily drive. Just need to get the stone guards on the rear fenders replaced, they are cracking and turning dark...actually I like the darking effect it makes the fenders stand out like the older Turbos.

Mike

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    "Its comfort, security and backseating comodities are far superior to the F430, Z06 and the M6, but they pail in comparison to the Z06 and even the DB9."

You might want to rethink that a bit.:)

And does anyone own a DB9 that starts up every time?

Minor error, should have been "pail in comparison to the SL55 and DB9." I'm not sure about the Aston's safety rating, but its posh interior to me is a bit more suave than the turbo...

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Disagree that hp/extreme styling/exhaust note alone/in combo translate to sales success.....G-car is a sales failure case study w/500hp+, released 2 yrs before 430....yet F didn't bother giving more than ?490hp to 430....but F sells 5K/yr 430; L sells 1K/yr (and falling, despite hp upgrades and Spyder release) G-cars.....

SL55 now has 515hp vs 997TT's 480hp; from what I hear, '07 SL55 sales have cooled considerably....perhaps 1-2K/yr pace; cars like SL55/997TT tend to have a 3yr product-cycle window of robust, 5Kish/yr sales, before they are no longer as fashionable; all the regular custs already have their copy; and sales plummet....the mkt realities of selling $150Kish GT cars to real-world buyers vs impressing a bunch of N-ring/0-xxx/xxxhp-obsessed rennteamers, many of whom aren't serious prospective buyers anyway....

Let's hope next evolution in sportscar tech is lighter-weight, high-strength materials....prob is that mfrs have shown no real ability to raise prices in past 10-15 yrs....hard to profitably sell any $150K+ car in sufficiently high volumes to offset R&D costs.....

Bragging rights are always interesting, but ultimately these are businesses that need to be sufficiently profitable for shareholders...and have scale to perform R&D to advance performance and safety techs in the arms race btwn P/F/MB, which are largely targeting the same buyer base for their mkt share of the <20K/yr global sales of $150K+ GT cars of any brand....

Excellent points VKSF. I think there will always be an element beyond sheer empirical data as a measure of a car's success.

Image, in this price category (or for that matter, any price category) is very important.

I think the SL AMGs lack a more focused and unique image. That hurts them in the "look at me" buyer category. I have a friend with an superb car collection; used to fancy Yellow Diablo VTs, Testarossas. He's turned into an SL AMG and Phantom guy...more discreet, comfort oriented. However, I attribute that to his growing age, not to his coffers

The aura surrounding a car will always help its sales. Aura and stylistics; I think the Gallardo has excelled in everything but aura (although a head turner amongst the lay people, it doesn't have the aura of its older brother the Murci). Ferrari clearly has manufactured this aura in its F430 (most definitely in the US' skewed market).

For Porsche, I think the aura around the 911 coupled with excellent engineering boosts its sales consistently. There was a poll taken amongst middle aged American men, asking if they could have any car what would it be: the response, coupled into one group was the 911 (in its various models) .

However, the laurels of pride and prestige begin to taper as the competition evens the field .

Great stuff.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761810 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260333 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80885 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871894 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807256 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM