Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thinking of selling my 997 and buying a BMW!

Just thought I would get your opinion on this (even though I know you'll all say it's madness!)

I'm thinking about selling my 997 Carrera S and buying a BMW Z4M Coupe. I've had my eye on the BMW for a while - I think of it as an M3 with less weight, and whilst the styling is a bit love-it-or-hate-it, I'm firmly in the former camp.

Performance-wise the BMW is going to be slower than the 911, but not by that much. It's even less practical with no rear seats.

My main reason for wanting to change is just that I fancy something different. I've wanted to own a 911 since I was about 12 years old, but now I've had the 997 for 18 months, I'm just finding myself wanting to try something else.

I am limited in terms of buying anything considerably more expensive eg the Turbo (ignoring the waiting list for now!) as I park my car on a London street and anything too "look at me" just attracts the wrong sort of attention.

I have just called round a bit and found that my car has only depreciated by about Pounds10k over the last 18 months - that's despite 15k miles! I'd have lost more if I'd bought a Ford Mondeo!

Anyway, comments, thoughts always appreciated. Also, as I haven't even driven the Z4M Coupe I'd be interested in hearing from those who have.

Cheers,

Ed

Re: Thinking of selling my 997 and buying a BMW!

I think the MCoupe is a cool car. I just wish it was lighter. I think it weighs a bit more than your 997S even though it's smaller. I don't understand how BMW can make such a small car so heavy...

I hope you enjoy it! Nothing wrong with changing - you can always change to something else later - just costs money

I have an issue with headroom in many sportscars and I've heard the roof is pretty low in the MCoupe. If this is an issue for you too, try before you buy...

Quote:
    Ed J said:

My main reason for wanting to change is just that I fancy something different. I've wanted to own a 911 since I was about 12 years old, but now I've had the 997 for 18 months, I'm just finding myself wanting to try something else.

Fuggedaboudit. Not a good enough reason. Like divorcing the ideal model-esque wife just to try an odd looking slightly overweight one. How about taking a vacation?

Good point - I was thinking this myself - it should be much lighter than the roadster but it's not (it might even be heavier if I recall correctly).

I'm 6"3 so the headroom is also something to think about - will definitely try before I buy...

Regarding the change costing money, it's true, but I'm thinking that selling the 997 before the warranty runs out is a good move. Also I've noticed here in London there are SO many 997s it's crazy - ultimately it must impact residuals. One of the attractions of the Z4M is that they will only be importing 200 a year, so they should be fairly rare.

And yes, I'm sure I'll come back to Porsche - am thinking of putting my name down for a 997 convertible next year or maybe a turbo if I can find a garage near to my house.

Ed,

Although I can't actually understand why you would want to part with your gorgeous 997S for a Z4M, you should do what your heart says.

I know you've loved the slate grey exterior but is it the black interior that you've grown tired of? Or is it just that you want a completely different shape of car made by a different manufacturer?

I've got to say that the Z4M is a car I would mention in the same breath as a Boxster S or a Cayman S but not a Carrera S. That is in a different price and performance league.

I've watched a few reviews of the z4M on Fifth Gear and Top Gear. They seem to say that this car is a bit wild to drive (but in a nice way) i.e. it isn't the precision tool you've been driving. It is all about throwing the Z4M around corners and using plenty of power. Jason Plato and Richard Hammond both enjoyed it. I think they liked its simplicity since it isn't overloaded with trickery like the M5 and M6 are.

Just a few thoughts. Hope you're happy with whatever you do decide. Interested to know your thoughts and how this pans out. All the best.

When I was getting restless with my 986S, I got a Ka as a runabout. Every time I got back in the Porshce, it reminded me just how good it is. This approach cost me much less.

It's like going from Jessica Alba to present-day Britney Spears

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    It's like going from Jessica Alba to present-day Britney Spears

Yeah, this similie reminds me that with Porsche "There is no prost..., oops..., I mean substitute."

I don't know whether this will help you. I've got a 996 Targa as well as a 545. Mostly, I drive the 996 in the summer and the BMW in the winter. BTW, I'm single and I walk to work Go figure.

Anyway, I too get bored with my cars and have an 07 M5 6-speed manual on order. But with Porsche announcing a 997 Targa, I've decided to keep the 545 and buy a new Targa.

Why? Even though I've driven BMWs for 20 years, there's no other car like the 911. It has a raw edge that even the magnificant BMW Ms don't have. I love the new M Coupe. But I really think that you'll miss the visceral nature of the Porsche.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the comments. It definitely isn't anything like colour that is leading me down this path. It's just that I love cars and love trying something new.

The Z4M does seem like a great car for hooning about in - and from what I've read, journos who I respect have given it the thumbs up. Obviously I have still to drive one which could change everything.

So, those of you who say I'm mad, where do you go after your 997? Do you keep it forever? Replace it with a newer model???

Quote:
    Ed J said:

So, those of you who say I'm mad, where do you go after your 997? Do you keep it forever? Replace it with a newer model???

Save your funds and be prepared to trade it in when the warrenty runs out.

Time will tell, but I'm betting these cars will be major PITA cost-wise to keep running because of all the computerization/electronics. Can you imagine the price for 4 new PASM struts at 80K (?) miles?

Also, for some of us the next car should be a Carerra Turbo.

I'd call it an eccentric move... Most of my analogies have already been stolen, as I also agree that you're contemplating trading in one of the most beautiful forms on earth for one of the quirkiest/oddest, not to mention slower, not to mention more cramped. I mean, c'mon, you've got the finest thoroughbred available, and you're wanting to dismount that for a squirrel wearing a football helmet, just for a "change"? That's a change alright!!!

Don't get caught in the "grass is always greener" trap, or the "I want to be different" just for the sake of it.

I always try to remember Eddie Vedder's lyric "I change by not changing at all"... It keeps me from getting stupid tattoos, buying a slow Harley Davidson just because all my neighbors have one, and confusing what's "neat" with what's just "odd".

Whatever you do, drive before you commit!!!

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    am thinking of putting my name down for a 997 convertible next year or maybe a turbo if I can find a garage near to my house.

If anything go w/ the Porsche convertible. You're going backwards imo w/ the BMW. I've had a few including the M5 and they're no where near as much fun to drive. You'll probably get bored even sooner....... Just returned from a very spirited run up to see my P dealer. Nothing that far about 20 mi each way. But mostly wide open (great condition) highway. (I87 North of the Tappenzee bridge). Top down, sun in the cabin, nailing the throttle. Attacking the on and off ramps..Man was that fun. Convertible's are where it's at for me. The feeling is the Closet sensation I can think of to riding one of my bikes, only it's safer. I'd hold your 997 another year or so and take a step up, not down & get a turbo cab. Good luck w/ your decision.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I'd call it an eccentric move... Most of my analogies have already been stolen, as I also agree that you're contemplating trading in one of the most beautiful forms on earth for one of the quirkiest/oddest, not to mention slower, not to mention more cramped. I mean, c'mon, you've got the finest thoroughbred available, and you're wanting to dismount that for a squirrel wearing a football helmet, just for a "change"? That's a change alright!!!

Don't get caught in the "grass is always greener" trap, or the "I want to be different" just for the sake of it.

I always try to remember Eddie Vedder's lyric "I change by not changing at all"... It keeps me from getting stupid tattoos, buying a slow Harley Davidson just because all my neighbors have one, and confusing what's "neat" with what's just "odd".

Whatever you do, drive before you commit!!!

HEY!! What's w/ the Harley Davidson comment?
    Ever been on one w/ 100 or more other Harley's on a trip ? Trust me there's NOTHING on the road like that feeling.

Like the Harley saying goes - "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand".

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Ever been on one w/ 100 or more other Harley's on a trip ? Trust me there's NOTHING on the road like that feeling.

Sounds like being one with 100 or more others wearing spock ears at a Star Trek convention, minus the tattoos of course...

Maybe that pack of 100 rough and tumble bikers will get froggy and try to stir up some trouble, like descending on a Starbucks and running them clean out of caramel for their Macchiatos.

I'm just having fun with ya Stradale, I can't resist, I'm just not a Harley guy. My dad's best friend was a dealer, so I've had plenty of seat time. But I can't warm up to one any more than I want a fully-dressed 4x4 Chevy truck with straight pipes and cherry bombs.

If I'm gonna ride a motorcycle, it better go down the road, or through the woods, or across the MTX track, like Satan's spawn.

I fell out of love with the Harley mystique when Harley riders stopped beating the tar out of innocent concert-goers, got law degrees, and hired mobile detailers to clean the grease off their spokes.

Yep, I'm not a Harley guy, I just gotta keep it real y'all. Besides, the Japanese are making better cruisers for less money anyhow..

Oh boy, NOW I REALLY stepped in it!!!

My warranty runs out in 6 months' time so that is affecting my decision as well...

hinckley - I was interested to read your comments. I'd actually been considering buying a second car - was looking at a BMW 5 series estate because I play a lot of gigs and need space to transport big bass amps and so on. Anyway, I was talked out of this by loads of people saying it was madness to own two cars (my girlfriend doesn't drive and I cycle to work!)

Ed,

For what it's worth I was offered a brand new Z4M roadster on Tuesday with a 10% discount by a friend at a main dealer here in the UK. He says the car just isn't shifting. I know they plan to bring in fewer coupe versions but it might be possible to get a deal on one by the look of things. If you are looking for space and pace it's worth remembering that BMW are currently developing an M5 touring.

i've had a BMW 540i since 2000 and still kept it as second car. the 540i is fantastic but does not compare with the C2S. i know that the UK is over-loaded with Porsche's, but there are much much more BMWs and Merc's. You'll find a 1-series and a 3-series everywhere you look, and you won't feel any special/different then!

i think that the BMW brand is a down-grade in comparison with Porsche, and I can assure you that you won't be happy after you part with your 997. The Z4M is an inferior car, and one day its warranty will expire too!

Another factor to consider. The BMW Zs and Xs are made in the state of South Carolina. Kinda blows the "German Made" factor doesn't it?

Boss, I dont get the Harley thing anymore either. Seems like a rolling costume party for CPA's and JD's on two wheels to block up the highway. It all looks pretty darn swishy.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Sounds like being one with 100 or more others wearing spock ears at a Star Trek convention, minus the tattoos of course...

Maybe that pack of 100 rough and tumble bikers will get froggy and try to stir up some trouble, like descending on a Starbucks and running them clean out of caramel for their Macchiatos.

I'm just having fun with ya Stradale, I can't resist, I'm just not a Harley guy. My dad's best friend was a dealer, so I've had plenty of seat time. But I can't warm up to one any more than I want a fully-dressed 4x4 Chevy truck with straight pipes and cherry bombs.

If I'm gonna ride a motorcycle, it better go down the road, or through the woods, or across the MTX track, like Satan's spawn.

I fell out of love with the Harley mystique when Harley riders stopped beating the tar out of innocent concert-goers, got law degrees, and hired mobile detailers to clean the grease off their spokes.

Yep, I'm not a Harley guy, I just gotta keep it real y'all. Besides, the Japanese are making better cruisers for less money anyhow..

Oh boy, NOW I REALLY stepped in it!!!

Hey, it's cool. I used to feel EXACTLY like you do maybe 20 yrs ago. There was a favorite saying I used to use to Harley guys - "Chrome don't get ya home". LOL!! One day you should try a bike like my Screamin Eagle. Not what you think you know as a Harley. 95 ft lbs. stump puller.

I've been more than around the block on bikes. Owned a street bike before I ever owned a car. My 1st dirt bike at 9 yrs old. Started on the street w/ "Japanese". And then owned a dozen 1000cc plus Jap bikes. (V65 Magnas (2 of them) GSXR,1000 Ninja, FZR1000, etc.) trading in every year for the hottest new model till I got my first Harley 18 yrs ago. Never looked back. Well cept once, in 2004 when I thought maybe I missed the Japanese rice rockets and bought THE FASTEST 1000cc bike available ever. (There's a pic of it in my gallery.) Long story short I sold it last summer. Realized I been there, done that. Zzzzz !!

The 2 Harley's I have now I'll never sell. No doubt about it my Harley's are the best bikes I've ever owned. Long stories, I'll save you the details on why. It's not important.

Hey, it's all good.

Quote:
    Ed J said:

Look at the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It's absolutely stunning. I considered it before deciding on a second Targa. Maybe you'll think otherwise.

Stradale - you refering to Prestige in Nanuet? I can't think of another dealer north of the TZ ... that's where I got my 986. Before they even really built the building.

Sorry to say that, mate but you're definetely crazy. In german car magazines, they reviewed the Z4M along with the Boxster S, Cayman S and SLK55 if you get the point.
    Want something different? How about a GT3? Or maybe even the new Corvette Z06. But a BMW Z4M?

Just a few thoughts...there's definitely nothing wrong with having 3-4 cars at the same time...it helps to space out the time between cars. If you really need something to haul your amps around, suggest you look at the Range Rover Sport (my other vehicle), and with a TDV6 in the UK, you'll love the interior, the ride and mileage. It's a very nice contrast to drive the RRS during the week, and then the 997 on the weekend for the long blasting trips around the hills.

Funny though that you mentioned the Z4 Coupe, I was looking at that last year, but decided to wait to get the 997...much better choice in my opinion, you can't compare the music made by the Porsche engine to the Bimmer. Is there anything better than 3rd gear at 6-7.5 rpm?...

Cheers mate.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Just thought I would get your opinion on this (even though I know you'll all say it's madness!)

I'm thinking about selling my 997 Carrera S and buying a BMW Z4M Coupe. I've had my eye on the BMW for a while - I think of it as an M3 with less weight, and whilst the styling is a bit love-it-or-hate-it, I'm firmly in the former camp.

Performance-wise the BMW is going to be slower than the 911, but not by that much. It's even less practical with no rear seats.

I am limited in terms of buying anything considerably more expensive eg the Turbo (ignoring the waiting list for now!) as I park my car on a London street and anything too "look at me" just attracts the wrong sort of attention.

I have just called round a bit and found that my car has only depreciated by about Pounds10k over the last 18 months - that's despite 15k miles! I'd have lost more if I'd bought a Ford Mondeo!

Anyway, comments, thoughts always appreciated. Also, as I haven't even driven the Z4M Coupe I'd be interested in hearing from those who have.

Cheers,

Ed

I've got a friend who leased a Z4M right around the time I took delivery of my 911S. He likes it, especially given the fact that in the U.S. BMW throws in basic maintenance for 4 years. If you get a similar deal on maintenance in the UK and are still worried about running your 911 outside of the warranty, then maybe the Z4M is for you.

Personally, I think the Z4M is a sporting convertible, not a true sports car, but I am sure others will take issue with this view.

Jim

I played around with a guy on the freeway with a new Z4M last night who thought he was hot s^*t. I embarrased the guy and he sulked away. Enough said.

Over a long period period of years I've suffered from "wanderlust", selling 911s for the next latest and greatest.

It was an expensive lesson, I've always come back to Porsche, they get get in your blood, and now I have a garage full.

It always cheaper if you can learn form others mistakes!

KEEP YOUR PORSCHE (and you can thank me later!)

Get rid of the S and wait for the //M3. Enjoy!

Porsche 997S: 3075lbs
    M Z4 Roadster: 3170lbs

So, yes, 100 lbs difference.

Another 60lbs for the coupe at 3230.

So that nobody misunderstands me, let me say that the 997S does surpass the M Z4 in (probably) every performance category. As for buying, I was in a similar position as you except I was about to buy a 997S but was very disappointed, and then decided on an M Z4. Although I got on the wait list for the 997tt I think I'm going to go with the M Roadster for now since the wait for the turbo could be at least a year. So don't get me wrong, I love Porsches. But at this price point I think I'd rather have something else.

For the M Z4 I'm 6-4 and my hair touches the ceiling in the coupe, but not in the Roadster. Although both cars indicate identical headroom stats it is misleading since that data is from a fairly central point in the seat to the apex of the roof. Tall guys will have to have the seat in a rearward position on the rails and the roadster has more "hump" at the rear, whereas the coupe roof slants downward more rapidly.

The M Roadster was a blast to drive. Very nimble, great acceleration and engine/exhaust notes, and just over all FUN.

Again, of course the 997S is a little faster. It has 20hp or so more (the base 997 actually has less, I think). What did it for me was that although I enjoyed the test drive, I told myself there was no way I would pay nearly double to have that 997S over an M Z4. It's not worth it to me. For that money I want to have the S*$% scared out of me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753168 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430753 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258608 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255470 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79528 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868357 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801926 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM