Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

Carlos from Spain:

I personally would have no doubts, just the piece of mind of having it were ever you go, all it takes is a ramp to an underground parking of a mall or whatever in the city and you are destroying the lip or worse, and its not like you will even be able to tell its there when you are driving, I'm sure if we are given two GT3's, one with the lift and one without, nobody will be able to tell which is which solely by driving it.

Not so sure that is true, you have that button which I'm sure is visible when driving...

Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Carlos from Spain:

I personally would have no doubts, just the piece of mind of having it were ever you go, all it takes is a ramp to an underground parking of a mall or whatever in the city and you are destroying the lip or worse, and its not like you will even be able to tell its there when you are driving, I'm sure if we are given two GT3's, one with the lift and one without, nobody will be able to tell which is which solely by driving it.

When I was ordering my my GT3 I debated ordering the lifter. My sales person took me out to the service center and showed my two GT3"s side by side for servicing. He said, one had a lifter and the other did not. Could I tell which one had the lifter and I could not. He proved his point and I did not order it. Damage about the same for both.

But more importantly it only cost around $250 to replace the front lip. The lifter at that time was $3200 and now $2500.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Gnil:

It will be interesting to read you impression regarding with and without lift as you will have direct comparaison. 

I wonder if you ll notice anything or if it is more a " spychological "'thing .....

Yes fun!  Sun is finally where he can't lose any more weight so 7kg in the lifts is worth avoiding.Smiley

The GT4  and RS are pretty low and you just go sideways over issues and just a few scrapes, although there are some trapezoidal speed bumps in Wanaka that are no fun, but the US  car won't be there, and the NZ car has liftsSmiley  Those are the only place they've really been needed.

What exhausts are you guys thinking about to cut weight?  the fabspeed saves 50+ lbs. but I'm told it's noisy, and more noise is not wanted here.  Ideas?

nberry:

When I was ordering my my GT3 I debated ordering the lifter. My sales person took me out to the service center and showed my two GT3"s side by side for servicing. He said, one had a lifter and the other did not. Could I tell which one had the lifter and I could not. He proved his point and I did not order it. Damage about the same for both.

But more importantly it only cost around $250 to replace the front lip. The lifter at that time was $3200 and now $2500.

The new 991.2 GT3 is only 88mm from the ground without the lifter. I think it's mandatory... Smiley

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:

its a good point about the price to replace the lip vs the cost of the lifter but I know normal city parkings here where you would damage more than the lip on a GT3, but more importantly I would check then if the new GT3 has a removable lip because in my GTS with the sportdesign front bumper, the lip is physically part of the bumper, you cannot change the lip as its the continuation of the bumper not an independant piece.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The problem is not the lip. The lip is a cheap plastic that can be replaced. On my RS I have scraped the lip many times either because I forget to push the lift over speed bumps or when parking. 

The problem is the front bumper , or orse , having to back track because you can't pass. 

The lift have saved me twice. Once on road works on the German autobahn.  We had yo change to the upcoming lane , driving through the muddled dirt gutter. I could not believe it. Without the lift I would of been stucked. 

The other time was also road work in a village. That would of been less of a problem , but still glad I did not have to turn back.  

The entrance of my drive way is also steep. I pass without the lift , but it scrapes quite a bit . When it does that it pushes hard on the front bumper too. I would hate to have a split in it. 

The lifter is a small sacrifice compared to the peace of mine it gives. 

Would I not have the choice , I would not give it a second thought and live with it. Having the choice opens the door for those " if " moments. 

Note also that on the RS the lip goes lower then the bumper and can bend  . On thé GT3!.1 the lip is integrated into the bumper

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The problem is not the lip. The lip is a cheap plastic that can be replaced. On my RS I have scraped the lip many times either because I forget to push the lift over speed bumps or when parking. 

The problem is the front bumper , or orse , having to back track because you can't pass. 

The lift have saved me twice. Once on road works on the German autobahn.  We had yo change to the upcoming lane , driving through the muddled dirt gutter. I could not believe it. Without the lift I would of been stucked. 

The other time was also road work in a village. That would of been less of a problem , but still glad I did not have to turn back.  

The entrance of my drive way is also steep. I pass without the lift , but it scrapes quite a bit . When it does that it pushes hard on the front bumper too. I would hate to have a split in it. 

The lifter is a small sacrifice compared to the peace of mine it gives. 

Would I not have the choice , I would not give it a second thought and live with it. Having the choice opens the door for those " if " moments. 

Note also that on the RS the lip goes lower then the bumper and can bend  . On thé GT3!.1 the lip is integrated into the bumper

All good points. My drive is steep too and even with the lifter the front of the GT3RS scrapes. The lift is a must and worth the weight penalty for most people's use. The GT4 front lip (no lift) scrapes pretty much everywhere .

There have been parkings were with my 996 I had to back into them instead of going forwards so that the front bumper could pass, going forwards would have ruined the bumper... with the puzzled looks of any bystandards that didn't understand what the hell was I doing entering in reverse, they must of though I was completely nuts 

--

Carlos from Spain:

There have been parkings were with my 996 I had to back into them instead of going forwards so that the front bumper could pass, going forwards would have ruined the bumper... with the puzzled looks of any bystandards that didn't understand what the hell was I doing entering in reverse, they must of though I was completely nuts 

Understand completely and the reason why, if the option is available, I order the front lifting system.  There are way too many obstacles that are nearly impossible to climb over. In the States, the roads are more amenable to pickup trucks and SUVs, not sports cars.

I have already had a few scrapes whilst USING the lift. Cannot imagine what front of car would look like without the lift.

The new R/GT3.2 is very low. 

Get the lift!

lifter = Peace of mind kiss

I understand the .2GT3 front lip is a half inch higher than the .1. Also, if the front bumper is too low then the car has a design problem for public use. Porsche would have had to make the lifter part of the car like a steering wheel. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone damaging the front bumper to the point it had to be replaced.

That not to say I will not order it. But facts are facts. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

I understand the .2GT3 front lip is a half inch higher than the .1.

I hadn't heard that, but I also think the front lip protrudes more than the .1 (more overhang which reduces the approach angle)

I wonder if it's also going to have removable air walls like the GT4 (allowing a high downforce mode).  Since the front now resembles the GT4, I wouldn't be surprised.

Having the lift would make it much easier to remove those things without jacking up the car...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:

I understand the .2GT3 front lip is a half inch higher than the .1. Also, if the front bumper is too low then the car has a design problem for public use. Porsche would have had to make the lifter part of the car like a steering wheel. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone damaging the front bumper to the point it had to be replaced.

Nick, you are buying a GT3 not a Carrera or Turbo, there are many compromises for public use compared to those other versions and front clearance is one of them in favor of better performance at the track, its like saying that the Cup tires it comes with should be OK for the northern winters otherwise the car has a design problem for public use. Also Porsche has a record of offering as optional many things that should be standard and everybody has to order.

But I do recognize that it is all very relative to were you drive, I know public places here that you will damage that lip without a lift for sure, and you could avoid going there but sometimes you may be in a situation were you can't like the examples of roadworks other members have had. Still in some areas for certain type of use you may never encounter a problem. But personally I wouldn't understand running that risk or hassles when there is a lift available, a simple $2.5k solution which by the way is available as an option for a reason, and only in the GT3 for a reason.

Also as Grant pointed out, you have to look not only at the actual height of the lip of the MkII but also how forward it is as that has a big impact on the actual clearance in everyday use.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

Nick, you are buying a GT3 not a Carrera or Turbo, there are many compromises for public use compared to those other versions and front clearance is one of them in favor of better performance at the track, its like saying that the Cup tires it comes with should be OK for the northern winters otherwise the car has a design problem for public use. Also Porsche has a record of offering as optional many things that should be standard and everybody has to order.

But I do recognize that it is all very relative to were you drive, I know public places here that you will damage that lip without a lift for sure, and you could avoid going there but sometimes you may be in a situation were you can't like the examples of roadworks other members have had. Still in some areas for certain type of use you may never encounter a problem. But personally I wouldn't understand running that risk or hassles when there is a lift available, a simple $2.5k solution which by the way is available as an option for a reason, and only in the GT3 for a reason.

Also as Grant pointed out, you have to look not only at the actual height of the lip of the MkII but also how forward it is as that has a big impact on the actual clearance in everyday use.

SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Carlos from Spain:
    a simple $2.5k solution which by the way is available as an option for a reason, and only in the GT3 for a reason. 

It is also available on the .2 turbo/S 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

...and in the .2 Carrera indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

...and in the .2 Carrera indecision

And soon on the GT4. It finally will make it into the big league 😂

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The GT4 seem to be the only pure GT model left in the lineup. Everything else got girlie lift systems, rear wheel steering and reverse cameras yesindecision

--

The front lift is a must. Without it almost the entire French Riviera is inaccessible for a GT3 RS. Most hotel parkings also. Same goes for many areas in Italy. Besides not having it is a sure deal breaker when you want to sell the car. 

Herbaliser:

The front lift is a must. Without it almost the entire French Riviera is inaccessible for a GT3 RS. Most hotel parkings also. Same goes for many areas in Italy. Besides not having it is a sure deal breaker when you want to sell the car. 

+ 1 Smiley

Herbaliser:

The front lift is a must. Without it almost the entire French Riviera is inaccessible for a GT3 RS.

Why did no one mention this before? Smileyindecision Porsche's most extreme track oriented car cannot be used on the number one poser place on earth without the lift. That should settle the argument once and for all Smiley

--

My RS has a clearance like a jeep when driving at normal speeds. When doing insane speeds the downforce is so big that I need the lift even on track,

If you plan to really drive the car in public (not only track or garage queen) then the lift is a no brainer.

Invaluable when you need it in some tight spots and you get all your money back (and more) come the time to sell/trade in as the resale (at least in US) is better and car is easier to move.

bluelines:
    Herbaliser:

The front lift is a must. Without it almost the entire French Riviera is inaccessible for a GT3 RS.

Why did no one mention this before? Smileyindecision Porsche's most extreme track oriented car cannot be used on the number one poser place on earth without the lift. That should settle the argument once and for all Smiley

People who are looking to call everyone who drives his hard core sports car on nice public roads posers are just as annoying as the real posers themselves. They are even worse, the posers at least have enough confidence even if they lack good taste. 

While the "non-posers" keep their GT3's in their garages in the winter, waiting for the summer to break the NBR record, I drove my RS from November to February around the French Riviera, Amalfi, etc. on some of the most beautiful roads imaginable. So yes, Monaco is a great place to keep your car in the winter and enjoy it while the rest of Europe is freezing. Same goes for Tuscany. 

And I am sorry to surprise you but the GT3 RS is not really a track car. It is made for the roads. If I wanted a pure track car I would have gotten a cup car. And for posing...a 911 in Monaco, even with a big wing? Are you kidding?

So instead of just listening the pretentious imaginary talk about GT3 and race tracks, one should check the realities of owning and driving (a lot) the car in the real world. And in this reality, the lack of front lift is very, very limiting. 

cool

It was a joke. Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

I would not get a GT3 RS without lift, I miss it in my GT4 and I did turn down a used 997.2 GT3 RS due no lift.

I did not consider the French Riviera though as the main culprit indecision

--

bluelines:

cool

It was a joke. Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

I would not get a GT3 RS without lift, I miss it in my GT4 and I did turn down a used 997.2 GT3 RS due no lift.

I did not consider the French Riviera though as the main culprit indecision

Call me a snob this time but I'd rather have a creme brulee Smiley

I understand all arguments pro lift, but is a bit of scraping here and there not part of the charm of owning a GT3? I certainly enjoyed it.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

I got front lift in my 3.8RS, and I agreed that the front lift is a must.

I don't care about any scraps, I still have my original lip with lots of scraps.

There were more than a few places that I could not have gone to without the lift.

If the car is for track use only and tow to the track, then no lift is fine.  Otherwise, just order it.  It is a cheap option anyway.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Porker:

I understand all arguments pro lift, but is a bit of scraping here and there not part of the charm of owning a GT3? I certainly enjoyed it.

Not quite as there are places where it is nearly impossible to get the car out of the garage and onto the street without a front lift system.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689694 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409324 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858082 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774149 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM