Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT / Ferrari 430

I am not out to start bashing the car that my dealer refers to as the F word .. but he was telling me that the new 997TT is a car that will out preform the 430 in every way .. I still like the looks of the Spider more but when the 997TT is out the cab version lowered with the right wheels if may be very close in the looks department and I guess will out preform the 430 . Considering the Spider is still about 90K over sticker the 997TT will be quite the deal .

Re: 997TT / Ferrari 430

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I am not out to start bashing the car that my dealer refers to as the F word .. but he was telling me that the new 997TT is a car that will out preform the 430 in every way .. I still like the looks of the Spider more but when the 997TT is out the cab version lowered with the right wheels if may be very close in the looks department and I guess will out preform the 430 . Considering the Spider is still about 90K over sticker the 997TT will be quite the deal .

Given the most recent test results I think your dealer is not well informed. Unfortunately, the 997TT is not at all superior to the F430. It is just different, not faster.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Given the most recent test results I think your dealer is not well informed. Unfortunately, the 997TT is not at all superior to the F430. It is just different, not faster.

MKSGR, I suggest we wait for other tests. The 12.2 time sounds like a freak accident to me or a ringer car. Regardless of what everybody here says. The best way to test this is to actually set up the two cars side-by-side and see who gets to point B faster. I actually prefer the looks of the 997TT to the Ferrari, so this is also an advantage. Also, you will note that the top speeds were not tested, only copied from manufacturer's claims.

The Turbo is significanly faster than a F430, look what it did the gallardo, more importantly, it is faster in the Sport Auto and Motor Trend tests. The former being far more reliable than Autozeitung and the latter recording a phenominal 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds and an 11.4 quarter mile. These times may not be accurate because they were tested by GPS, but could not be off by more than .2 seconds, leaving the tt with a huge performance advantage. Keep in mind the Motor Trend tes was done on a partially icy runway! I am kind of annoyed how everyone immediately began bashing the Turbo yesterday with the release of the Autozeitung test, the only test to show the Turbo as slower than the F430.

Crash and Trip,

You two Porschefanboys crack me up! I thought Nick was the only one with conspiracy theories.

Autozeitung tested the the F430 over a year ago. The 0-200kph time is the same as it was then.

How do you really expect the much heavier turbo to be faster with about the same hp without defying physics?

Also, Autozeiting has a favorable bias for Porsche (ask RC). So, if the F430 is a ringer, they would've known.

Since we soon (as of next weekend) will have a Rennteam editor with a 997 Turbo and Rennteam moderators with F430s, I'm sure that they can come up with some sort of test to settle this once and for all....

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

You two Porschefanboys crack me up! I thought Nick was the only one with conspiracy theories.

Autozeitung tested the the F430 over a year ago. The 0-200kph time is the same as it was then.

How do you really expect the much heavier turbo to be faster with about the same hp without defying physics?

Also, Autozeiting has a favorable bias for Porsche (ask RC). So, if the F430 is a ringer, they would've known.

Your Ferrrari-fanboy bravado is unfounded. It has been repeatedly stated on these boards, that the time, printed in Auto Zeitung, was an error.The time was 13.2, not 12.2.
    At least that's what people who can actually read already knew months ago.
    I say, let's wait for the other tests.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    ...How do you really expect the much heavier turbo to be faster with about the same hp without defying physics?...

I don't know the figures, but how about torque? As far as I know, the HP is not important for accell times. Torque is though.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Cabs, looks, wheels, lowered, tints, etc etc ....if that's game plan, performance is prob best defined by brand image and auto jewelry value, not silly stuff like 0-xxx or N-ring, but rather how many hotties that car picks up, where valet parks your car, etc.....

Answer to styling/auto jewelry/brand image "outperformance" has been well-known in US for at least 5 yrs: F trumps P....and just like a hot nightclub, it takes some added cleverness/cash to "doorman" for most to be admitted quickly to the F "nightclub" in US...

Debate for actual drivers of 997TT vs 430 will be a bit more controversial, esp for those who consider safety part of the performance envelope....

I was looking through my new issue of Du Pont Registry last night and thought it was interesting that Porsche has an advertisement where it says in bold letter 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.

I like all this P vs F back and forth makes things interesting. And this is the perfect place for it. If one was so much better than the other it wouldn't be as much fun to talk about imo. I think after all is said and done and we have more test data, I hope neither emerges the victor. After all it isn't a good competition if one clearly dominates the other.

OCEAN - I hear ya. Thinking about rims right now. I probably wont drop it but just the thought of the car, top down from the rear lookin wide as sh--. W/ a set of Champions RS-98'S w/ PCCB's. Right now I'm thinkin either TechArt Formulas or Champions because of the lip. The cab is going to be so crazy looking.

the TT is significantly faster than the 430..as for the looks IMO the tt will never have the presence and looks of the 430

we must wait a nice test with the rennteam moderators i really think that P will be faster... but not that much.

well from the looks of things, the 997 tt is an amazing car. hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but it isn't that good looking (looks like any 911), it may or may not be faster than a F430, which is disappointing considering that the F430 is over a year old! and one year is huge in the sports car market. yes, the 997 tt is a year round sports car but i'm not buying a F430 to go through the snow banks. and i'm sorry but i would take a 430 anyday over a Porsche....better resale value, wow factor, performance and i have had more problems with my P cars than my F cars!

I think the cars are really two different cars regardless of which one is faster. Nevertheless I can assure you the 430 will not take the 997TT, close perhaps!

The 430 is an awsome car and it sounds like no other and yes it is a Ferrari. But I would never dare to say Ferrari is a better car or better engineered car than a Porsche. It's a different car and attracts different crowd of people. I love Ferraris but as many as I have seen and I have driven I stay faithful to Porsches

Quote:
    mkultra said:
    well from the looks of things, the 997 tt is an amazing car. hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but it isn't that good looking (looks like any 911), it may or may not be faster than a F430, which is disappointing considering that the F430 is over a year old! and one year is huge in the sports car market. yes, the 997 tt is a year round sports car but i'm not buying a F430 to go through the snow banks. and i'm sorry but i would take a 430 anyday over a Porsche....better resale value, wow factor, performance and i have had more problems with my P cars than my F cars!

When will you Americans stop applying blanket statements to the entire world? The F430 can be had for almost the same price as the 997TT here in Europe and it also has similar resale value.
    Doesn't look that good and looks just like another 911? The 911 is a sports car icon, it has a special place in every enthusiast's heart. Saying a car looks bad because of it shows ignorance.
    The F430 has wow factor? It doesn't impress me any more than a 911 Turbo, seeing one on the street, but some of us are actually enthusiasts and don't care about the "wow" factor for impressing people we don't give a damn about or for picking up white trash girls.
    If you want to take an F430 over a Porsche, go ahead, it's a great sports car. However, for the reasons you've just listed, you might be better off with an S-class on 22" spinners.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mkultra said:

When will you Americans stop applying blanket statements to the entire world? The F430 can be had for almost the same price as the 997TT here in Europe and it also has similar resale value.
    Doesn't look that good and looks just like another 911? The 911 is a sports car icon, it has a special place in every enthusiast's heart. Saying a car looks bad because of it shows ignorance.
    The F430 has wow factor? It doesn't impress me any more than a 911 Turbo, seeing one on the street, but some of us are actually enthusiasts and don't care about the "wow" factor for impressing people we don't give a damn about or for picking up white trash girls.
    If you want to take an F430 over a Porsche, go ahead, it's a great sports car. However, for the reasons you've just listed, you might be better off with an S-class on 22" spinners.

The US is by far the largest markets for BOTH manufacturer's so it's more accurate than using say,,,,,,,, Timbuktu.

I'd have to agree w/ the other poster regarding looks too. I'll stick up for the Porsche most of the time like I was yesterday but there's no comparison in the looks department.

btw: It doesn't have anything to do w/ "picking up white trash girls.". LOL!! Where'd that come from? lol!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

Your Ferrrari-fanboy bravado is unfounded. It has been repeatedly stated on these boards, that the time, printed in Auto Zeitung, was an error.The time was 13.2, not 12.2.

Yeah, sure they "corrected" 0-200 time. Maybe as favor to Porsche. But, did they forget to correct the lap time? A year ago the F430 did their track handling test in 1.36.9 min. and now their latest issue says 138.1 min. Exactly the same as the Turbo. Interesting?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=90540&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...e=0&fpart=1

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mkultra said:

The US is by far the largest markets for BOTH manufacturer's so it's more accurate than using say,,,,,,,, Timbuktu.

I'd have to agree w/ the other poster regarding looks too. I'll stick up for the Porsche most of the time like I was yesterday but there's no comparison in the looks department.

btw: It doesn't have anything to do w/ "picking up white trash girls.". LOL!! Where'd that come from? lol!

The white trash usage was just a hyperbole, to illustrate a larger point. I don't care how big the US market is, the US are not the world. I can get a 430 here in 6 months or less, for roughly the same price as the 997TT. It won't sell much better either. Looks are subjective, but believe it or not, I prefer the 911 to the F430, looks wise. Nobody can argue against the 430's sound, performance and looks, but to some of us the 911 simply looks better. Couple that with better versatility, much better safety, better performance and heritage and you get a very recommendable car. Of course one can argue about Porsches being commonplace, but the world isn't Grenwich or Beverly hills, where you would see a Porsche every minute.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mkultra said:

Young Crash is Porsche's biggest Koolaid drinker. Porsche is king and can NEVER do anything wrong in his opinion. So, you'll never read anything negative about Porsche from this kid. But, he always the first to defend them.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

Yeah, sure they "corrected" 0-200 time. Maybe as favor to Porsche. But, did they forget to correct the lap time? A year ago the F430 did their track handling test in 1.36.9 min. and now their latest issue says 138.1 min. Exactly the same as the Turbo. Interesting?

You were talking about conspiracy theories in your previous post and now you have thrown out the silliest one possible. A magazine changing numbers as a favor to one manufacturer, while damaging another? And you had the nuts to say that the "ringer" theory was silly .
    The time WAS mistyped for the acceleration, as for the track times, I have no idea. Remember though, that the 430 was using Pirelli Corsas, while the Turbo was only using the humble Pilot Sports.

I agree with Crash, his last statement is in line with my thinking. They are both gr8 cars so to each his own pick what suits your needs better. I have a friend in OC who has had many Ferraris and in fact there is not a car he can not afford but he is in love with Porsches and not so crazy about Ferraris. I love them both but lean more towards P-cars.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mkultra said:

Young Crash is Porsche's biggest Koolaid drinker. Porsche is king and can NEVER do anything wrong in his opinion. So, you'll never read anything negative about Porsche from this kid. But, he always the first to defend them.

Lay off the bottle, tough guy. Go kiss the Ferrari dealership if you have nothing better to say.

Quote:
    Crash said:

You said this same BS before. When ask specifically where in Europe, you never answered.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You said this same BS before. When ask specifically where in Europe, you never answered.

If you want, I'll tell you via PM. Oterwise, I prefer to keep my details private. Everybody who needs to know here, knows.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

You were talking about conspiracy theories in your previous post and now you have thrown out the silliest one possible. A magazine changing numbers as a favor to one manufacturer, while damaging another? And you had the nuts to say that the "ringer" theory was silly .
    The time WAS mistyped for the acceleration, as for the track times, I have no idea. Remember though, that the 430 was using Pirelli Corsas, while the Turbo was only using the humble Pilot Sports.

Maybe, you ought to take some reading lessons yourself. The lap time for the F430 was faster a year ago. The new test yields a slower time even though its equipped with Corsas. WHy?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

Maybe, you ought to take some reading lessons yourself. The lap time for the F430 was faster a year ago. The new test yields a slower time even though its equipped with Corsas. WHy?

Your reading comprehension skills need sharpening. I've stated that I have no idea why the lap time is different. If you expected me to state that I am the editor who performed the test, I have to disappoint you. I only paid Auto Zeitung to rig the tests, the tester was another gentleman.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mkultra said:

The white trash usage was just a hyperbole, to illustrate a larger point. I don't care how big the US market is, the US are not the world. I can get a 430 here in 6 months or less, for roughly the same price as the 997TT. It won't sell much better either. Looks are subjective, but believe it or not, I prefer the 911 to the F430, looks wise. Nobody can argue against the 430's sound, performance and looks, but to some of us the 911 simply looks better. Couple that with better versatility, much better safety, better performance and heritage and you get a very recommendable car. Of course one can argue about Porsches being commonplace, but the world isn't Grenwich or Beverly hills, where you would see a Porsche every minute.

Okay doke.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

Lets wait for RC and his freinds super test. I think you might be dissapointed.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Crash and Trip,

Lets wait for RC and his freinds super test. I think you might be dissapointed.

Yes, and I'll make sure of it. I'll pay everybody to lose.

Want the worlds most versatile sports car? Buy the 997TT
    Want a true genuin and thrilling exotic? buy the F430

If there is a possiblity try to get a testdrive.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762396 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435331 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257559 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM