Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE

I read some recent posts regarding some people having problems with their PSE. I would like to retrofit PSE, however, I wanted to know if the "rattles" are common.
    The mufflers are back-ordered in the USA. I'm wondering if it's because of high demand or the result of a defective product.
    Can anyone comment?

Re: PSE

I will have PSE retrofitted on thursday this week. I really don't hope that there are problems with rattles and stuff so that I have to go with shuttle traffic back and forth from my dealer

However... I can't wait to disconnect the electrical plug and have the always on mod...

Will let you know how my system is performing as soon as I have it on my car... I know that it arrived to my dealer from Germany end of last week so its one of the latest manufactured parts and hopefully without issues...

/Lukas

No problems with my PSE - no rattles so far (2 weeks on).

I dont want the mod. I appreciate being able to switch it off for longer journeys when the noise becomes more tiring.

Had PSE installed 3 months ago...works perfect, never heard a rattle, or any problems.I have the on/off switch, but always like it on. The Porsche system is not that loud like some other exhausts...Anyways, it should be standard on the car. Love this mod ALOT, but next Porsche I will add it in on the option list for the factory...only because PSE is sooo much fun. I think long journeys would be the only time I switch off!! No problems here, lovin it , happy summer

Had the PSE mod for a year now, no problems so far.

I really appreciate all the feed back. Now if I can only get my hands on one. I'll probably retro-fit the short shifter as well. Neither option was available when I ordered my S in late '05.
    Lukas, your car is equipped very nicely. I wish we had the 20mm/LSD option it the states.

Quote:
    devo said:
    I really appreciate all the feed back. Now if I can only get my hands on one. I'll probably retro-fit the short shifter as well. Neither option was available when I ordered my S in late '05.
    Lukas, your car is equipped very nicely. I wish we had the 20mm/LSD option it the states.

I did the same thing. Had both PSE and sport shifter installed. I dropped off the car at 7AM. Got a rental to drive to the nearest golf course. Played 36 holes, and came back and my car was completed.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

I did the same thing. Had both PSE and sport shifter installed. I dropped off the car at 7AM. Got a rental to drive to the nearest golf course. Played 36 holes, and came back and my car was completed.

Sounds like a great end to a great day!

PSE for 5 weeks - mod for 2 weeks. No problems with either. Wouldn't reverse the mod, though I had thought about it.

PSE just gets louder every day.

I've now got PSE installed on my car and WHAT A NOICE!!! its totally amazing .. .Been dringing around with a big grin on my face a couple of hours earlier today
    however... when in normal mode it was a BIG disappointment.. the cut-off cuts in really early and to be honest... with stock PSE its in my opinion not worth the extra cost... BUT when unplugging the electrical switch.. what a noice!! I love to just rev around 3000rpm and push the gas-pedal slightly and smoothly press the clutch and get that AWSOME noice... absolutely wonderful...
    however... one VERY annoying thing is that I seem to have the "rattle" issue... its not that noticable but i hear it sometimes... this is ONLY when the mod is applied and if I connect the electrical cable again = no rattle...
    I can actually live with the small rattle, because its not that annoying, at least not on my PSE.. might be different from others..
    But I will for sure go back to my dealer next week and have a discussion with them regarding this.... my concern is however if we all have this tiny rattle and some of us hear it more than others.. or if mine and some other members here on the board have got defect mufflers
    My problem is however that I don't hear the rattle when I don't have the mod... this might make it hard to get a replacement muffler since my dealer will consider it functional in Stock-mode with no rattles... You guys that have had the rattle-issue.. did you hear that rattle in both modded and un-modded mode?

can't wait until tomorrow when I can heare that wonderful noice again...

/Lukas

I had 2 types of rattles, both can be heard when in stock configuration and with the hack...

First: Loud rattle when the valves in the left muffler were opening/closing. This was most noticeable in Sport (PSE on) when doing constant approx. 50mph in 3rd gear. This issue was fixed by my OPC opening up the muffler and adjusting the valves so they didn't stick when opening/closing. They tried replacing the whole muffler on warrantee but the 2nd muffler had the same issue.

Second: After fixing the first rattle I got a more general quiet rattle from the left underside of the car. This was most noticeable with Sport off (PSE off) as you could hear better. It was independent on speed or gears. This was fixed by my OPC last week, but at the weekend it came back, shortly before disappearing again this week (may have something to do with me having the always-on hack put back so drowning out the sound!)

I will take the car back at some point to get them to fix this once and for all. I don't think any of these rattles are hack related though as they are just as prevalent without it on. I had these issues from day 1 so I don't think the hack had time to cause any 'damage'.

Retrofitted mine too. There's simply a huge backlog for the PSE that PAG can't cope up with the demand.

Ordered mine from factory but came without hence had to retrofit. NO rattles at all. It's the best option on the entire list IMO. worth every single penny! I love it so much that I had it modified to have it on at all times. Magnificent!!

What is the US list price for factory-installed PSE?

I believe its $2400 for the factory option on PSE in the USA...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    I had 2 types of rattles, both can be heard when in stock configuration and with the hack...

First: Loud rattle when the valves in the left muffler were opening/closing. This was most noticeable in Sport (PSE on) when doing constant approx. 50mph in 3rd gear. This issue was fixed by my OPC opening up the muffler and adjusting the valves so they didn't stick when opening/closing. They tried replacing the whole muffler on warrantee but the 2nd muffler had the same issue.

Second: After fixing the first rattle I got a more general quiet rattle from the left underside of the car. This was most noticeable with Sport off (PSE off) as you could hear better. It was independent on speed or gears. This was fixed by my OPC last week, but at the weekend it came back, shortly before disappearing again this week (may have something to do with me having the always-on hack put back so drowning out the sound!)

I will take the car back at some point to get them to fix this once and for all. I don't think any of these rattles are hack related though as they are just as prevalent without it on. I had these issues from day 1 so I don't think the hack had time to cause any 'damage'.

First, the PSE valves are not located inside the mufflers. They are located in the bypass pipes , OUTSIDE of the mufflers.
    So your OPC gave you a BS line if you were told they had to "open up " the muffler to adjust the valve.
    The mufflers are welded shut and you don't just cut them open ( And I doubt the average dealer has the facility to weld st. stl. mufflers)
    You are correct with your second statement . If there is a rattle related to the butterfly valves, it is most likely NOT due to the "hack " ( disconnecting the pneumatic tubes or the electrical plug ) Either one just keeps the normally open valves from closing ,therefore having the bypass open all the time.
    Most likely , the valve spring( which keeps the damper open )is binding somewhere,or is weak, and therefore the damper will rattle open/closed due to the exhaust gas pressures (alternating first from the muffler and then from the other exhaust pipe side)
    One should keep in mind that metals , especially spring steel becomes weak fairly soon when exposed to constant extreme heating/cooling conditions.And the exhaust pipes get pretty hot. Considering the location of these valves, I am surprised they work as long as they do.
    Btw: to all who have " disabled " the valve operation .
    Keep in mind that the valve dampers are located inside the exhaust pipes. If left constantly in the same position , there may be enough (soot ,crud ?) accumulating around them over time to prevent them from operating again when desired .
    I would occasionally let the dampers cycle open/closed to keep them working properly
    (but that's just my opinion )

newbie question, have to ask. don't say "if you have to ask, you don't ...."

correct me if i'm wrong, but there is no performance differene with the pse right? So what is the point other than louder noise (and sometimes annoying for longer drives)?

by coninkydink, a f430 spider flew by me today. and the sound from the cars was...a moving orchestrial symphony. I can appreciate it, because I was away from the f430 car.

how can I appreciate the pse if i'm inside my car? and won't it annoy my neighbors or other people when i'm driving around?

can you turn it off while driving? and how much does it cost to retrofit?

thanks!

Quote:
    dnp_now said:
    newbie question, have to ask. don't say "if you have to ask, you don't ...."

correct me if i'm wrong, but there is no performance differene with the pse right? So what is the point other than louder noise (and sometimes annoying for longer drives)?

by coninkydink, a f430 spider flew by me today. and the sound from the cars was...a moving orchestrial symphony. I can appreciate it, because I was away from the f430 car.

how can I appreciate the pse if i'm inside my car? and won't it annoy my neighbors or other people when i'm driving around?

can you turn it off while driving? and how much does it cost to retrofit?

thanks!

1. Porsche makes no claim for any performance increase with the PSE. You get it only for the sound experience
    ( and contrary to aftermarket manufacturer claims , you will not get much from any other muffler either )

2. You can switch it to loud or normal as desired.By default, the system reverts to quiet mode when going between around 35 to 50 mph so as not to annoy the neighbors
    ( but many disable this feature to have it on at all times )

3. You can get it retrofitted for around $2100 ( lowest I have seen ) and well over $ 3000 , depending on how much your local dealer feels he can get away with charging you .
    Install time is between 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. depending on how your car is equipped.
    Or, you can buy it and install yourself for about $ 1800

Quote:
    jcs said:
    First, the PSE valves are not located inside the mufflers. They are located in the bypass pipes , OUTSIDE of the mufflers.
    So your OPC gave you a BS line if you were told they had to "open up " the muffler to adjust the valve.
    The mufflers are welded shut and you don't just cut them open ( And I doubt the average dealer has the facility to weld st. stl. mufflers)
    You are correct with your second statement . If there is a rattle related to the butterfly valves, it is most likely NOT due to the "hack " ( disconnecting the pneumatic tubes or the electrical plug ) Either one just keeps the normally open valves from closing ,therefore having the bypass open all the time.
    Most likely , the valve spring( which keeps the damper open )is binding somewhere,or is weak, and therefore the damper will rattle open/closed due to the exhaust gas pressures (alternating first from the muffler and then from the other exhaust pipe side)
    One should keep in mind that metals , especially spring steel becomes weak fairly soon when exposed to constant extreme heating/cooling conditions.And the exhaust pipes get pretty hot. Considering the location of these valves, I am surprised they work as long as they do.
    Btw: to all who have " disabled " the valve operation .
    Keep in mind that the valve dampers are located inside the exhaust pipes. If left constantly in the same position , there may be enough (soot ,crud ?) accumulating around them over time to prevent them from operating again when desired .
    I would occasionally let the dampers cycle open/closed to keep them working properly
    (but that's just my opinion )

Great info - thanks!

Question for you guys, I looking at a used PSE without tips, will my 997S tips work or do I need to buy specific exhaust tips as well?

PSE got two pipes per muffler going to the tips while the stock exhaust only got one. Your stock 997S tips will not fit two pipes.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759842 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433902 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259783 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256931 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80616 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805874 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM