Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: G63 this time round

For G63 lovers: nice and atmospheric vid. It's just a 2013 upload but still fun to see. imho 

http://youtu.be/XvbzHoORwR8

@ intouch 

Do you still like the G63? Everything is running to your satisfaction?

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

This car is just so much Gangster! Need to have on sooner or later smileykiss

Conny, the longer I own it the more and more I enjoy it.

where I first said that getting into the X6M after the G felt like driving a sports car, it now feels like getting into a toy car.

the G just feels like a tank. enjoy it every single time I drive it....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

where I first said that getting into the X6M after the G felt like driving a sports car, it now feels like getting into a toy car.

This is actually the reason I like the G class: It really feels like a tank and this feel is really highly enjoyable, especially if you have a powerful engine to move this tank (and the nice sound is a plus as well).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

intouch1:

I suspected that in one or another way. Smiley Had a test ride a few days ago and tested the G63 in my professional life as a real estate developer. Since then I don't get it out of my mind ....Smiley

IMG_1113.jpg

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Thanks for sharing the vid. It's my ultimate dream car for Canada. It's shitty handling won't matter much because we have the worst speed limits here and never ever over 120km/h. But this thing will take us up all the mountains. I wish we had a regular G350 or something here. AMG is just silly and childish angry

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

What does a latest generation G550, used, go for in Germany? I'm seeing a lot of these in Berlin. Prices are too strong in the US to make me want one, especially with the new one just around the corner, but with how many I see here, I'd expect softer used pricing.

Noone1 - well equipped G550s (in Germany G500) are going for 100k (1 yr old, low mileage, apprx. 35% down). 

The problem I do see is that the old engine feels quiet weak. As I wrote previously I did test drives with a G500 and a G350D on the same day and the G500 felt weaker than the Diesel. I would definitely go for the new version with the Turbo engine, or the G63 (while equipped the price difference is quiet small (apprx. 10%). 

Lars997:

Noone1 - well equipped G550s (in Germany G500) are going for 100k (1 yr old, low mileage, apprx. 35% down). 

The problem I do see is that the old engine feels quiet weak. As I wrote previously I did test drives with a G500 and a G350D on the same day and the G500 felt weaker than the Diesel. I would definitely go for the new version with the Turbo engine, or the G63 (while equipped the price difference is quiet small (apprx. 10%). 

You got "used" to turbo engines...this is why it felt that way. We had the G550 in the US (same as G500 in Germany) and it didn't feel weak at all.

Reminds me of a friend who recently test-drove the R8 because I was bragging so much about my car. Smiley He came back pretty disappointed. He loved the sound, the drive feel, even the steering (which is a bit controversial with many...) and especially the build quality ("this is no Audi...") but he wouldn't get one. Why? It feels so weak in the city Smiley...he comes from a X5 M50d. Last time we checked, I "destroyed" him in his X5 M50d on a wet road from standstill from a red light, I was like 100 meters ahead of him when we hit 50 kph, no kidding.  Smiley Still...he claims the R8 feels too weak, so it is clearly the engine.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Conny997:

IMG_1113.jpg

Like me, you love powerful SUVs and the G63 AMG is basically the father of all "monster" SUVs. Smiley

As a daily driver, I bet the G63 AMG is amazing, especially if you work in your line of work.

--

it's the 'cool father' in ripped jeans and long hair who still plays in a rock band indecision

obviously, its a very tricky time to think about the G when a totally new model (except for the basic look) is around the corner. surely it will be a better car in terms of daily driver qualities. it will most likely also be much better at highway commutes and longer trips (except for aerodynamics for obvious reasons)

but the real issue here is, is that the G in the end is all about character....so it remains to be seen how much of this 'character' will be taken over to the new model.

if it ends up driving like a Q7, then it is no more G

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

it's the 'cool father' in ripped jeans and long hair who still plays in a rock band indecision

obviously, its a very tricky time to think about the G when a totally new model (except for the basic look) is around the corner. surely it will be a better car in terms of daily driver qualities. it will most likely also be much better at highway commutes and longer trips (except for aerodynamics for obvious reasons)

but the real issue here is, is that the G in the end is all about character....so it remains to be seen how much of this 'character' will be taken over to the new model.

Smiley The more I look at the Q7, the more I think it is "sterile" and boring.

Drove the SQ7 lately, amazing SUV, amazing interior but the exterior is really boring. Smiley OK, the car was white, so maybe with the right color, it could get somewhere but my desire for a possible RSQ7 along the way has been cut down to a point where I actually still want a G63...or no SUV at all.

Me and my wife actually decided that we are not going to get another SUV when the Jeep and the Macan are gone. However, if I ever have some money "left" and I do not want/need another weekend toy, I will get myself a G63, even a used one. I am still in love with this truck, an everlasting love. Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:

You got "used" to turbo engines...this is why it felt that way. We had the G550 in the US (same as G500 in Germany) and it didn't feel weak at all.

Reminds me of a friend who recently test-drove the R8 because I was bragging so much about my car. Smiley He came back pretty disappointed. He loved the sound, the drive feel, even the steering (which is a bit controversial with many...) and especially the build quality ("this is no Audi...") but he wouldn't get one. Why? It feels so weak in the city Smiley...he comes from a X5 M50d. Last time we checked, I "destroyed" him in his X5 M50d on a wet road from standstill from a red light, I was like 100 meters ahead of him when we hit 50 kph, no kidding.  Smiley Still...he claims the R8 feels too weak, so it is clearly the engine.

The G500 we drove was in lower revs really weak. It comes alive if you push it hard. Especially when turning the steering to the left or right, the throttle is reduced by 40% - so it feels especially in the city very weak. And no - I don't think I'm used to Turbos yet. At that point I only owned that little Mini SD with a small Turbo charged Diesel. Other than that all our cars aren't. But - compared to the SRT or the G350 it was indeed weak. I also asked the sales man which confirmed that "they all" are like this, as I thought it might be a problem with this specific car. Matter in fact, I think a Turbo is a nice fit for that G500.

I also know that M50d very well, my father drives one. It feels ok, but for sure not as strong as i.e. the SRT. It has torque and a very direct gas pedal (feels fast in the city), but if you rev it, the car needs to shift way to early. I can't believe that someone is disappointed when driving the R8 and claims that X5 is comparable. As I said, my friend owns a new R8 V10, too. Myself, I think it is insane fast. 

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

The G500 we drove was in lower revs really weak. It comes alive if you push it hard. Especially when turning the steering to the left or right, the throttle is reduced by 40% - so it feels especially in the city very weak. And no - I don't think I'm used to Turbos yet. At that point I only owned that little Mini SD with a small Turbo charged Diesel. Other than that all our cars aren't. But - compared to the SRT or the G350 it was indeed weak. I also asked the sales man which confirmed that "they all" are like this, as I thought it might be a problem with this specific car. Matter in fact, I think a Turbo is a nice fit for that G500.

I also know that M50d very well, my father drives one. It feels ok, but for sure not as strong as i.e. the SRT. It has torque and a very direct gas pedal (feels fast in the city), but if you rev it, the car needs to shift way to early. I can't believe that someone is disappointed when driving the R8 and claims that X5 is comparable. As I said, my friend owns a new R8 V10, too. Myself, I think it is insane fast. 

The lower/mid range torque is really good in the X5 M50d, typical turbo engine and that guy is used to that because the X5 is his daily driver. First, he wanted a 911 Carrera S but although I told him that horsepower doesn't matter with Porsche, he doesn't want to put 150k on the table for a 420 hp car. Smiley Then, he was interested in the AMG GT S but apparently he cannot find an adequately comfortable seating position in this car. Smiley He loves my R8 (you should see his face when he looks at the car) but I think the real reason he doesn't want to get one is that it is too expensive for him (he hates getting used cars and a new one would still cost him around 180-190k after rebate). Now he is looking at a F-Type SVR but in the end, I think he is going to end up with a M6. Smiley He is a huge BMW fan and apparently his BMW dealer made him an amazing offer for a fully loaded M6 with performance package (or whatever this is called at BMW). Smiley

--

RC:
    intouch1:

Smiley The more I look at the Q7, the more I think it is "sterile" and boring.

Couldn't agree more. A vp where I'm working now has the new one in black and parks right by the building entrance, and every day I see it and every day I think to myself how boring it is. Even the old Q7 had some personality to it, the current gen is just bland. Whoever has the next parking spot over drives the new Hyundai Tucson, and that's a crossover that has a fantastic design IMO, better than the Q. 

To Audi's defense, I think that the new Q7 needed to be that boring because people, especially in Germany but also in other parts of Europe and even the world, do not like big SUVs and the "message" they are sending. Audi found a nice compromise but at the expense of the design language, which is a bit sad. Maybe they are going to correct the design language a little bit with the next facelift.

--

Atzporsche:

Thanks for sharing the vid. It's my ultimate dream car for Canada. It's shitty handling won't matter much because we have the worst speed limits here and never ever over 120km/h. But this thing will take us up all the mountains. I wish we had a regular G350 or something here. AMG is just silly and childish angry

Childish?
    Well, then we should close Rennteam right now. Smiley
    (Except for the „Offtopic Section“ which is hilarious and unique and we should keep it SmileySmiley)

Most of the cars that we discuss here are powerful and should be fun. The more hp the better. We love our toys, why not be childish sometimes?
    The G63 is fun in its very own way and this actually has nothing to do with terrain characteristics, where it has even less ground clearance than a G350D.

But we can agree that you are mature and get a 350 diesel and I am childish and ride the G63 AMG. I can live with it.SmileySmiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    Atzporsche:

Childish?
    Well, then we should close Rennteam right now. Smiley
    (Except for the „Offtopic Section“ which is hilarious and unique and we should keep it SmileySmiley)

Most of the cars that we discuss here are powerful and should be fun. The more hp the better. We love our toys, why not be childish sometimes?
    The G63 is fun in its very own way and this actually has nothing to do with terrain characteristics, where it has even less ground clearance than a G350D.

But we can agree that you are mature and get a 350 diesel and I am childish and ride the G63 AMG. I can live with it.SmileySmiley

Be lenient with him...he is a BMW fan. Smiley Smiley

--

I'd be quite happy with a idiosyncratic and ancient G-Wagon. Just like I'd love to have one of these (especially with a v8 engine swap)

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Lars, the 2016 model year G's have a totally different ESP/ESC setup than the previous years. on my car the ESP hardly ever intervenes even when driven swift and around tight corners (more sailed around corners indecision)

I believe in the 1800 kms I have driven so far I had the ESP light come on only once or twice.

--

intouch1:

Lars, the 2016 model year G's have a totally different ESP/ESC setup than the previous years. on my car the ESP hardly ever intervenes even when driven swift and around tight corners (more sailed around corners indecision)

I believe in the 1800 kms I have driven so far I had the ESP light come on only once or twice.

Yep - I now that. And it was necessary. And I understand that the 500 and upwards are having a complete different dynamic suspension / bumper system which allows that. You did absolutely right ordering that new generation and your car is simply gorgeous in this color/interior specification. 

We really thought until now if we should jump directly to a G, but having seen to many camouflaged cars of the next Gen driving around here on the "swabian alp" I just have to wait for the next Gen. We still wait for that little C43 (might be delivered within the next 14 days) and I'm sure together with the XC90 this will keep us happy for the next 24 months daily driving. Until then the G will be there with all specs which makes a swap easier.

Enjoy that beast in your beautiful country!!! It's about time to come to see you guys again Smiley

Lars, thank you....and yes its' about time again :)

Wise decision to wait for the new generation and then ultimately decide if you want the modern retro truck or the real thing.

--

intouch1:

Lars, thank you....and yes its' about time again :)

Wise decision to wait for the new generation and then ultimately decide if you want the modern retro truck or the real thing.

Excactly. Same thoughts here - we can then choose from both. You know its "hers" - so she has to say what car she likes to drive Smiley

BiTurbo:

Thanks for posting. Seems the car is equipped with the E-Class wide-screens cockpit. Love to see that the new car will be state of the art! Smiley

but wouldn't the whole 'charm' or character be gone ?

I love the fact that the g feels archaic

--

kiss 
    The "new" VW Beetle could't replace the original "Beetle" ("Käfer" in Germany). Now they've stopped the production. Some originals do not tolerate "cheap" copies of no kind.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

intouch1:

but wouldn't the whole 'charm' or character be gone ?

I love the fact that the g feels archaic

I don't think there is anything charming or archaic about the interior. Just looks like a low-level, last generation Mercedes on the inside. 

I think the X gives us a nice idea....

Conny997:

kiss 
    The "new" VW Beetle could't replace the original "Beetle" ("Käfer" in Germany). Now they've stopped the production. Some originals do not tolerate "cheap" copies of no kind.

They did? Thanks god this abomination of a car is gone now.  Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM