Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Something very special - 911 Turbo Watch

BTW, it was introduced on SIHH 2006(in April 3rd-9th). I get mine for my birhtday(my wife's gift!) in late May. She said to me that she order it in March...Ref.Nr. is IW378201, it is in stainless steel with blue rubber strap. Oh, yes, it is limited edition 2500 pieces.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Personally I do not like any of them...
    Here is favourite from my collection:

Holy cow KresoF1, do you have IWC's 659 parts masterpiece in your collection

Although I am a little disappointed that it isn't the Il Destriero Scafusia

Only joking, that must be one h*ll of a collection you've got there

Pictures shown are straight off the IWC website - do you have photos of your own collection?

Quote:
    RC said:

My "real" watch is the watch I own for six years now and I've sworn I'll never gonna sell it or buy something else: the Rolex Daytona (gold with brown crocodile leather). I'm not a watch collector, I stick with one watch almost for eternity. Got my first good watch at age 18 as a gift, a Chopard St. Moritz. I still have this watch and it was replaced by the Daytona. You see...I'm not into exchanging watches but I love them.

Daytonas are great until the eyesight starts to dim (for reading, not distance) Then they are virtually impossible to tell the time by! Not that this is a watch's major appeal, but it does help.

My personal favourite is my Panerai PAM140 - also limited to 500 pieces - and very easy to read. So heavy it puts 40 yards on my golf drive.

Can't wait for the first Ferrari watch by Panerai to become available.

John,
    I did not take pics of my watches. Why should I? They are in my personal safe most of the time... You really think I should take the pics of my watches and post them on rennteam? Come on! Sorry to say this but, personal things are personal. Next thing-someone can request to know amount of money on our personal accounts...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    John,
    I did not take pics of my watches. Why should I? They are in my personal safe most of the time... You really think I should take the pics of my watches and post them on rennteam? Come on! Sorry to say this but, personal things are personal. Next thing-someone can request to know amount of money on our personal accounts...

With respect, I don't agree with you - except the bit about personal bank accounts.

This thread started with RC showing an actual photo of his 911 Turbo watch - is that not personal to him? Many Rennteamers share photos of their cars and many other things including their personal experiences. Why not a watch??

It's not as though you're giving away your address and setting yourself up for a robbery is it!

I'm a watch enthusiast and, having read the description of your collection, would have appreciated a photo to share your enjoyment. Very much in the same way as we share photos of our cars. Some would say that they are also very personal items.

BTW - my collection of watches is personal to me and, even though it isn't nearly as grand as yours, you'd be welcome to a photo of it anytime.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    My other hobby is High-end audio and video... My system cost as much as 997 Turbo! But, this stuff IMO do not belong on rennteam.com.

Wow, Nice to see another Rennteam'er with the same High End Audio fever.

Hello... $215k for a watch? Isn't anybody here telling that that is insane? Hell, I don't have to turn every penny before I spend it, but I love the seiko sportura kinetic auto relay... the looks, the mechanism... and still debating whether it is worth Euro 500, because in the end it still is a watch. A watch of Euro 200,- will do the job just fine... lol, talking about worlds of difference... And to keep watches in a safe? I thought they were made to wear! No offense meant, but here it seems some of the famous dutch soberness comes around the corner, can't help it After all, I liked the pics of the watches a lot, sure fine pieces of jewellery!
    -Joost-

Some people think its crazy to spend over 100k for a car when a 10k car will do just fine. I know, not a perfect comparison but everybody has hobbies. Personally I would never spend 215k on a watch unless I was worth 100million plus, but to each his own.

I don't like where this thread is going.

You can compare cars one to another, watches to another, loudspeakers to another... fine.

No one can argue if they should spend that much money on this or that, everyone is too different.

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    My other hobby is High-end audio and video... My system cost as much as 997 Turbo! But, this stuff IMO do not belong on rennteam.com.

Wow, Nice to see another Rennteam'er with the same High End Audio fever.

There are more on this forum with a similar 'affliction'. A few users spring to mind, you are not alone.

However, I had to agree with KresoF1 and others that this thread is perhaps getting a little personal and a little side tracked. One of the things I like about this forum is the mature adult discussion which is rare amongst web forums these days. I feel that there is never an expert far away, across all subject areas. As a consequence there always seems to be somebody who knows about the very best equipment/technology/methods within that field.

Expensive tastes do not always go hand-in-hand with bank balance. I feel the quality of the discussion is often improved when discretion is applied.

Sorry about this post, I have enjoyed this thread, but I just hoped I could maybe steer the thread away from a potentially uncomfortable direction.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    I don't like where this thread is going.

You can compare cars one to another, watches to another, loudspeakers to another... fine.

No one can argue if they should spend that much money on this or that, everyone is too different.

That is what I meant to say with my post. Maybe it came across the wrong way?

I would like to see a picture?

I am sorry if I offended anybody. It is that I was stunned that tthere are actually watces that are so expensive, and that there are people buying them. I guess you people are right: to each his own!
    -Joost-

atomic80 said:

Quote:
    My everyday watch is a Polar heart monitor that I always use when working out

Now that is a piece of equipment.
    Awesome watch that made my training advance more than I'd imagine.
    I know I'm going off topic here but I gotta give credit where its due....... They're like the Porsche's of sports-watches

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    John,

lol agree kreso... otherwise we will end up with a thread with pics of bank account statements..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    otherwise we will end up with a thread with pics of bank account statements..

You go first, Dimitri!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

You go first, Dimitri!

errr... my scanner is broken...and so is my bank account...

I think the watch is very nice and I hear it runs really fast !

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

You go first, Dimitri!

errr... my scanner is broken...and so is my bank account...

Kreso,

Many thanks for your PM - it is much appreciated.

I have responded accordingly.

He can spend the money on hookers and blow for all I care, its his money. Is there much depreciation on high end watches? Certain hobbies actually appreciate in value. Firearms, jewelry, sports memorabilia, etc

Quote:
    John H said:
    This thread started with RC showing an actual photo of his 911 Turbo watch - is that not personal to him? Many Rennteamers share photos of their cars and many other things including their personal experiences. Why not a watch??This thread started with RC showing an actual photo of his 911 Turbo watch - is that not personal to him? Many Rennteamers share photos of their cars and many other things including their personal experiences. Why not a watch??

Oh boy, if I only had the slightest idea where this thread is going to go to, I would have never started it.

The only reason I posted the 911 Turbo watch pictures is because I thought it is something related to the 997 Turbo and something interesting. I should have known before that some people completely misunderstood my posting, especially when they started to compare this 5xx Euro watch (retail price of both, the limited and the non-limited versions) to some super expensive watches. I even had to "out" myself as a Rolex Daytona watch owner to avoid people thinking of me as a moron. And btw: just for the person who mentioned my "retro hemd": it is Armani. The best thing was actually ladies wearing Rolex Daytonas, wow... I bet Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were women when they started to wear them...what...30 years or so ago?!

There is nothing wrong with being rich and showing off things. But there is a certain point where rich and rich seperate from each other. There are three kind of rich actually: the rich, the super rich and the mega rich.
    And among them, they are different stages of taste and culture. It is OK to have a 100 m motor-yacht, it is tasteless to have a 100 m motor-yacht painted in yellow.
    It is OK to own a Monet, it is tasteless to have a Monet hanging in the guest restroom. You guys get my point...hopefully.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    [

Armani. The best thing was actually ladies wearing Rolex Daytonas, wow... I bet Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were women when they started to wear them...what...30 years or so ago?!

Yes, that was 30 years ago

Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:
    Yes, that was 30 years ago

I know, nowadays women wearing expensive men's watches is pretty common for example in Moscow or in other ex-iron curtain countries...

The Daytona is a classic, a part of tradition. I didn't buy it because of that but because I find it to be the most beautiful non-bling bling watch on the market.
    Most people who buy Daytonas buy the steel version (because it is difficult to get, though "cheap") or full gold versions or some covered with little diamonds to make them look more spectacular (saw many of those in arab countries and the US). Not my type of taste.

The Daytona is actually like the 911: timeless.
    Which of course doesn't mean that there aren't more beautiful (and of course more expensive) watches out there.

I like to keep it "simple"...Porsche, Rolex Daytona, happily married, two kids, jeans, casual clothes...Diet Coke instead of an expensive wine...
    Luxurious things are nice to have and I enjoy them but they don't have priority in my life.

I've never understood the allure of wearing a really expensive watch. I'd love a Breitling, but it won't really do anything a $100 Casio can't do (it won't look as cheap though).

RC youre son's gonna look just like you...

I think I can find myself in the last two posts... I love watches, but have only two of them, both kinda cheap (about $200) But they do their job just fine. When I find the watch that really satisfies my "needs" in both looks and features (at least has to be kinetic), and for a reasonable price, I'll buy it instantly. Truth is, I have not found the watch yet which I really, really like. Either they are too bling, or too cheap, or too busily-looking... well, there's always an excuse not to buy it
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    I think I can find myself in the last two posts... I love watches, but have only two of them, both kinda cheap (about $200) But they do their job just fine. When I find the watch that really satisfies my "needs" in both looks and features (at least has to be kinetic), and for a reasonable price, I'll buy it instantly. Truth is, I have not found the watch yet which I really, really like. Either they are too bling, or too cheap, or too busily-looking... well, there's always an excuse not to buy it
    -Joost-

What about a nice, ordinary Citizen? Not expensive, but a pretty good watchmaker.

Quote:
    RC said:
    [

I know, nowadays women wearing expensive men's watches is pretty common for example in Moscow or in other ex-iron curtain countries...

Yes, I saw this in Italy, and the Italian women are known for bad taste

Quote:
    Crash said:
    What about a nice, ordinary Citizen? Not expensive, but a pretty good watchmaker.

Good idea Crash! One of the models I like most is This one Will look where I can find it, so I can see it in real life. Might be a bit too busy though. Thanks for the tip!
    -Joost-

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689786 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255807 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774198 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM