Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Creaky noises originating from passenger side after 2 months

It had been 2.5 months since I had received my new 987s and I only had 2200 KM on it. Lately, I had started noticing some creaky noises originating from the passenger side's roof. Is this due to lack of lube? Has anyone experienced this problem?

Re: Creaky noises originating from passenger side after 2 mo

Let me guess it's coming from near the headrest area? The only difference with mine is that I have it on the driver's side near the back of my head. Very annoying and I haven't found the resolution.

Get used to it. My 987S always has some kind of noise from the top or near the passenger-side headrest or what not.

EXACTLY What I have, headrest and definitely not the headrest making the noise but the rooftop... wow so afterall other owners have experienced this? Turbokuo yes it's quite annoying. I thought it was the seatbelt and was holding onto it while driving but it still creaked. Tried pushing the chair further up, didn't help. Opened and closed the top and tried to work on it, didn't work. I guess it is always the case for a softtop or hardtop convertible? (well my previous SLK 350 retractable hardtop also had similar problems). It is pretty annoying but if I had recalled correctly, the creaks weren't there for the past 9 weeks so I guess something loosened up after driving around in those nasty road conditions in HK. Guess I will have to live with it and crank up the music? Turbokuo, did you bring it in to have it checked out?

Quote:
    eslai said:
    Get used to it. My 987S always has some kind of noise from the top or near the passenger-side headrest or what not.

I think that's being a little melodromatic. I think MOST cars have no noise. If it doesn't go away with time (a lot of creaks and squeeks do come and go over the first 10k) I would get the dealer to look at it. (They might need a few cracks at it though, depending on how competant they are). Though I would problably just drive it more. At 2k it's probably still shaking down.

wtsnet, doesn't it get worst with more driving? I would tend to think so than thinking that it would be over after 10k? I ain't sure but I had heard from most that convertibles are never that stable when it comes to the top but I mean it is unacceptable. Afterall, this is a Porsche and I spent 100K USD on it.

Ptcja,

I haven't had a chance to have the dealer look at it but they hate troubleshooting roof problems...probably because it's a difficult and subjective problem. Actually as of this morning it's on both sides now! As a temparary fix I lower the top completely and bring it back up and it seems to make it a little less creaky for a day. The weird part is that I have an 2003 Boxster and that top is creak-less.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    eslai said:

I think that's being a little melodromatic. I think MOST cars have no noise. If it doesn't go away with time (a lot of creaks and squeeks do come and go over the first 10k) I would get the dealer to look at it. (They might need a few cracks at it though, depending on how competant they are). Though I would problably just drive it more. At 2k it's probably still shaking down.

I don't see how it's melodramatic at all! Convertibles are creaky beasts, and at first I was expecting the boxster to be much better than others in this regard.

That hasn't turned out to be the case. Over the past year I've taken my car to the dealership many, MANY times and they've been able to rectify very few of the rattles/creaks/squeaks that I hear.

My car has over 16,000 miles too, I believe that any "shake-down" is quite complete at this point.

Quote:
    eslai said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    eslai said:

I don't see how it's melodramatic at all! Convertibles are creaky beasts, and at first I was expecting the boxster to be much better than others in this regard.

That hasn't turned out to be the case. Over the past year I've taken my car to the dealership many, MANY times and they've been able to rectify very few of the rattles/creaks/squeaks that I hear.

My car has over 16,000 miles too, I believe that any "shake-down" is quite complete at this point.

I guess I've had good luck up until now. My 03 Boxster and O3 Z4 both had no problems.

turbo, yeah my friend, it's tough. The last time I had this problem on my Mercedes brand new slk 350 12 months ago, we went through so many test drives and the technicians just can't seem to locate the real location of the noise. Heck they couldn't even replicate it. Noises are creepy and could be very annoying and hard to fix. Let me ask my dealer.

Quote:
    eslai said:I don't see how it's melodramatic at all! Convertibles are creaky beasts, and at first I was expecting the boxster to be much better than others in this regard.

Didn't mean to offend eslai, , I just know how lousy dealers can be, so my preference is to try to let the noise go away by itself first, rather than let the dealers 'play' and potentially damage soemthing. But, after your mileage, I guess it's not going to go away by itself, no! No-one I know has a similar roof issue, so I wouldn't go as far as saying 'most cab roofs make noise' - I would say the reverse?

Nah, no offense taken. The noises I hear are very light and generally fade into the background. I consider them normal convertible noises, although they do annoy on principle!

Guys,

EVERY cabriolet will probably rattle. Every Boxster, Z4, SLK, Z3, SL that I've been inside of rattles. So many moving parts in combination with chassis flex results in noises.

It sucks and it is biggest downside of having a cabriolet. That's why a Cayman is great alternative, but I hear the hatchback rattles, too. Ok, maybe the 911 is safe...

Matt

Me too Turbokuo, exactly the same on the driver's side.
    But, 3000 miles on, it's now infrequent and qualitatively less annoying.
    Ptcja, hopefully you only need to give it time.

Re: Creaky noises originating from passenger side after 2 months

If the driver or passenger seat backs are reclined as far as possible, they'll rub against the roll bars and you'll get a creaking noise. It's another design flaw as far as I'm concerned, but I can still be comfortable with the seat back slightly forward.

I noticed that one too. I always have to make sure my passenger seat isn't too far back--it'll rattle against the seat belt clip or the roll bars.

took it to the dealer and the mechanics confirmed the noises on the passenger side. He said I could have it looked at or wait till my first service at 5000 km so I rather wait. He said he could try to fix it.

It's like Matt the car nut says. With so many movable parts, a cabrio is likely to rattle a lot more that a fix roofed car.

I have a very annoying rattle just behind my headrest, and it only appears at a certain rpm level.
    They cant kill it...nor can I make the other small squeeks from the roof go away permanently.
    The squeeks are usually worst after a wash (water moists the rubber panels and make them rub against eachother).
    Only thing that might work is using the color- and odorless Mo2 lubricant on the roof folding rods. And keep the rubber lists siliconed.
    It wont kill the noise, but it may reduce it.

Dr. Phil, today I was driving at night and it was very noticeable. Furthermore, it was most audible when you are driving in an indoor carpark in an enclosed area. I will have to either crank up the stereo or air cond to make it go away but I will give it another week or so to see if I can stand it. Otherwise, I might as well have it fixed. It is a bit worst than I had expected. A few said all cabrios rattle but a few also said it shouldn't rattle. So I don't know how I should take this. Considering that my cousin's MINI COOPER cabrio leaked the first day out of the dealership and again a year later, I might stop buying cabrios altogether in the future. My cousin certainly would never ever buy cabrios anymore. My SLK 350 was a bit better as it was a foldable metal roof but it still rattled a bit. I heard the SL s metal roofs were butter but all in all, a cayman would have been better now upon hindsight.

By "rattle" I mean "a slight but audible rattling".
    I dont mean "an annoyingly loud squeek."

Some noise should be expected, but not to the point of driving you nuts.
    If your car really rattles loudly, I'd take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

it's audible only when driving in an enclosed garage or at night. It's not that nutty but I am pretty much a perfectionist. To be honest, I am starting to realize that we have to expect some sort of rattle anyway. Although I find it hard to accept the excuse that "the roof has so many movable parts..." dah dah dah. C'mon, any Porsche is a high performance vehicle and if anyone wants to talk about movable parts, I can surely tell you that the engine has more parts than the roof and will we accept anything less from the boxer engine? No right? I think by comparison, the roof has relatively few parts and it should be as stiff as a steel monk as reviewed by top gear and NOT rattling. However, it is just not the case for both my SLK 350 and the boxster s.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755611 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79960 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869026 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803144 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM