Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PDK on Porsche website.

If you go to the GT3RS section on Porsche's website, there are 2 sound clips.

The first one sounds like a GT3RS with regular transmission, BUT the second one sounds really weird - sounds like the car is downshifting, but it sounds like PDK, the shifts are too fast to be a normal downshift. It also sounds like the car is on a skid pad.

Can anyone comment on this.

Re: PDK on Porsche website.

Sorry, not a comment but a question - When is the GT3RS due out again?

That would be one way to intro. the PDK.

That really sounds weired...

Excuse my ignorance. What does "PDK" mean?

Thanks!

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:

Thanks!

this refers to the dual clutch transmission as found on late model audis/vws.

allowing instant shifts controlled by the computer - as the next gear is preselected by a second clutch.

google: DSG - and you will get the idea

Not sure about the date but my dealer did confirm that the PDK will be released with the GT3RS. BUT he also told me that PDK would ONLY be released for the GT3RS at first.
    PDK for all the 'daily drivers' could easily be 12-24 months behind.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Sorry, not a comment but a question - When is the GT3RS due out again?

That would be one way to intro. the PDK.

Stradale, the PCNA website says GT3RS "by spring of 2007" for the US market. They don't allude to PDK (of course) though on the site.

My dealer speculates PDK by 2008 (? MY2009) for the 997TT/?TTS.

Dunno why everyone has a hard on for PDK. Great tool for racing, but not as fun to drive.

diff.strokes for diff.folks.

Quote:
    frayed said:
    Dunno why everyone has a hard on for PDK. Great tool for racing, but not as fun to drive.

We have DSG on my wife's Golf GTI. I would kill to have that on my 997. Not sure why people think it will be less fun to drive. Less involving yes, less fun no.

Possibly the sequential box from the cup cars?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    We have DSG on my wife's Golf GTI. I would kill to have that on my 997. Not sure why people think it will be less fun to drive. Less involving yes, less fun no.

WAY: I'd like to hear more about your experience with DSG. I have no personal experience with this transmission and I'd like to know why people seem to like it so much. I'm interested in getting it. But having drven stick all my life, it seems like a big change.

Quote:
    frayed said:

Well said!

Exactly what I think

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    frayed said:

With the DSG, do you have to keep you foot on the break at a red light or not?

volkswagen & audis w/DSG are designed to 'creep'. so one will need to step on the brake pedal to keep car stationary. other sequential transmissions such as SMG & F1 do not creep.

whether or not PDK will creep is anyone's guess...

Quote:
    AS said:
    volkswagen & audis w/DSG are designed to 'creep'. so one will need to step on the brake pedal to keep car stationary. other sequential transmissions such as SMG & F1 do not creep.

Thanks. You even learn new vocabulary on rennteam. To creep or not to creep, that's the question...

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

WAY: I'd like to hear more about your experience with DSG. I have no personal experience with this transmission and I'd like to know why people seem to like it so much. I'm interested in getting it. But having drven stick all my life, it seems like a big change.

DSG is an incredible gearbox. It upshifts faster than any human possibly can, and yet is seamless and not jerky at all. When downshifting, it blips the gas and matches the revs perfectly each time. If you decide to put in the "D" it behaves like a full auto gearbox, with the same smoothness that you expect out of an auto. I am also a manual driver through and through, and I have not been dissapointed with the DSG at all. On the track and twisties, it allows me to concentrate on the lines and balance of the car instead.

Quote:
    DSG is an incredible gearbox. It upshifts faster than any human possibly can, and yet is seamless and not jerky at all. When downshifting, it blips the gas and matches the revs perfectly each time. If you decide to put in the "D" it behaves like a full auto gearbox, with the same smoothness that you expect out of an auto. I am also a manual driver through and through, and I have not been dissapointed with the DSG at all. On the track and twisties, it allows me to concentrate on the lines and balance of the car instead.

yes.

DSG is incredible.

some years from now, nearly all nice cars will be equipped with DSG -- including ferraris.

i'm wondering if the Porsche Doppelkupplung (DSG) will ever see the light of day in a 997 model, though. i heard that it will be introduced with the panamera and replace the tiptronic in the next generation 911 (998).

Had a DSG AUDI A3 for a while...

Great gearbox for that type of car, but I'm not sure it's really sporty enough to be fun in a Porsche.

Spend a week-end with a F360 F1 recently and that system was great for such a high performance car...

Quote:
    RR4 said:

The first one sounds like a GT3RS with regular transmission, BUT the second one sounds really weird - sounds like the car is downshifting, but it sounds like PDK, the shifts are too fast to be a normal downshift. It also sounds like the car is on a skid pad.

I love it when people start speculations, conspiracy theories...

Lookie here :

Dare we ask what this is? On which car?

That's a sequential shifter on a Cup car. Note that the linkage goes straight out through the tub.
    And that's what it sounds like on the UK Web site:
    http://www.porsche.com/all/911gt3rs/en/sounds2.htm
    Much as I'd like it to be the PDK. From what little I know, the PDK will automatically match engine rpm to road speed for the down-shift, so there will be a distinct blip on downshift.

Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    Had a DSG AUDI A3 for a while...

Great gearbox for that type of car, but I'm not sure it's really sporty enough to be fun in a Porsche.

Spend a week-end with a F360 F1 recently and that system was great for such a high performance car...

You prefer the F1 over the DSG? I HATE the F1. I can never drive that thing smoothly at all. When you drive aggresively, it feels like it will take the whole diff off the car when it changes gear. No thanks, I rather take the DSG any day. Btw, I am not sure if the A3 DSG is tuned to change as quickly as the spotier Golf GTI.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

I love it when people start speculations, conspiracy theories...

Lookie here :

Ah, that explains a lot.

I agree, I drove an M3 convertable with smg and loathed it. In traffic and just cruising in town the gear shifts were abrupt and jerky. The only thing I liked about it was the throttle blip on downshifts, other than that it was trash.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:

Thanks!

Porsche Doppel Kupplung (Porsche Double Clutch). Has a separate clutch for the odd and the even gears.

A dual clutch introduced in 1986 on the 962 which won the Monza 1000 Kilometer.

The new version will be radically advanced with estimated shift times of below 40 ms. This system supposedly will monitor RPM, speed, steering angle, etc and "anticipate" shifts by engaging the next gear in certain situations.

This will be nothing like the DSG. Porsche tried to implement the DSG and it flat out wasn't good enough for their cars (thus one of the reasons for the long wait in re-building the PDK and making sure it can handle the serious power demands of the new cars, esp the 997TT)

Traditionalists always bag on the non-manuals but if you're after speed and need to spend your time in the turns controlling the car (instead of controlling 3 limbs to shift) you can't beat this setup.

Quote:
    This will be nothing like the DSG. Porsche tried to implement the DSG and it flat out wasn't good enough for their cars (thus one of the reasons for the long wait in re-building the PDK and making sure it can handle the serious power demands of the new cars, esp the 997TT)

I don't think somehow the DSG is lacking the ability to cope with power or torque. A version of the DSG is used in the Veyron.

No, but PDK is supposed to better than DSG.

i owned a ferrari f1,dsg gti and smg2 m3, by far the best system was the smg2 , i love it! dsg is also very good ,the only problem imo is that it feels too much like an auto.in smg you never have this feeling..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761022 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434556 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260101 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257234 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80796 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871462 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806683 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM