Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tiff Drives the C6 Z06

Quote:
    twin turbo said:
    tiff drove ferrari 599 tonight, and guess what he thought z06 was better. ronnie will be pleased.

Thats frkkn hysterical

Quote:
    twin turbo said:
    tiff drove ferrari 599 tonight, and guess what he thought z06 was better. ronnie will be pleased.

I'm not sure you can compare both cars. The Z06 has a huge advantage: emotions. It is loud, hard and fast. Perfect combo I guess. And of course there is the interesting price tag. If the Z06 also proves to be reliable when driven hard and fast (Autobahn), it could really raise the Corvette and it's bad reputation in certain markets (Europe for example) to a completely new level of acceptance and admiration.

I wish GM well but they're dealing with a tough audience.

So far so good in popular UK and German reviews. The mechanicals are of high quality and so is the resulting performance.

If GM used Dräxlmaier of Germany to supply luxury leather interiors for Corvettes, like they just did for 2 of the new 07 Cadillac models, I am sure that would assuage many critics.

But that, the precision ratio steering box, the higher revving, more powerful dohc DFI engine and the revised suspension will make their appearance in MY 08.

The current Corvettes are a "fix job" by current management for a design and vendors that was locked in place before they took over. The new chief of GM's High Perfomance Division has 5 SCCA national championship titles. So expect radically increased performance from the next gen Corvette.

Ziggy, its ok. My French is no where as good as your Anglais.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    So far so good in popular UK and German reviews. The mechanicals are of high quality and so is the resulting performance.

If GM used Dräxlmaier of Germany to supply luxury leather interiors for Corvettes, like they just did for 2 of the new 07 Cadillac models, I am sure that would assuage many critics.

But that, the precision ratio steering box, the higher revving, more powerful dohc DFI engine and the revised suspension will make their appearance in MY 08.

The current Corvettes are a "fix job" by current management for a design and vendors that was locked in place before they took over. The new chief of GM's High Perfomance Division has 5 SCCA national championship titles. So expect radically increased performance from the next gen Corvette.

Sounds promising. If the dollar continues to slide, these cars will be even more of a bargain than they are now...

Quote:
    twin turbo said:

Not really. The 599 is, IMO, a beautiful automobile and, most likely, a great deal of fun to drive. If it were priced like the Z06, and I had my choice of either car, I would buy the F-car without hesitation. I love Italian cars. They are very exciting in so many ways. That being said, other than some of the cars from Italy, I prefer my Z06 over anything on the road.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Not really. The 599 is, IMO, a beautiful automobile and, most likely, a great deal of fun to drive. If it were priced like the Z06, and I had my choice of either car, I would buy the F-car without hesitation.

After reading other reviews and listening to Tiff's impressions, I must say IMHO, regardless of price, the Z06 appears to be the better car. And when conditions are not perfect, the 997TT appears better until it happens to break down or springs a leak, in which case, the STi may be an excellent back-up.

Why would a turbo break down or spring a leak? Out of all the cars you just mentioned it is by far the most reliable.

The 997TT is a complex car with many sensors and controllers, any of wich if they fail will leave you
    by the side of the road.

Sometimes simpler is better.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The 997TT is a complex car with many sensors and controllers, any of wich if they fail will leave you
    by the side of the road.

Ah, yes! I think your F-16 pilots would gladly agree to give away all the fly-by-wire systems .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    by the side of the road.

Ah, yes! I think your F-16 pilots would gladly agree to give away all the fly-by-wire systems .

F16s are older technology. So lets go to the new stuff

The F22. This one suffered over $1M damage when the fire fighters had to get the pilot out of a locked cockpit. The network and software had a "slight" glitch...

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,97576,00.html?ESRC=soldiertech.nl

just cut n paste it into your url box Lockheed style

Quote:
    Crash said:

I'm not so sure about that. Without the fly-by-wire system, the F16 would crash

Although the F-16 is only unstable in one dimension (can't remember which one), while other and newer aircraft are unstable in all three dimension, like the F-117 Stealth fighter. So if the computer in your F-117 breaks down you will loose control over the aircraft within a couple of seconds.

Here's a piece of useless trivia: Do you know why the F-117 has flat surfaces to deflect radar instead of round surfaces like the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber?

Some guesses..

The B2 has coatings to absorb microwaves. Hence its need for special enviromentally controled hangars.

The F117 uses its angular design to disperse microwaves instead of relecting them back directly.

....wasnt the Dehavilland Mosquito the first "modern" inadvertant "stealth" aicraft? And wasnt the Vulcan bomber the first "intentional" low radar singature aircraft?

FWIW, I think the F22 has the radar cross section of a German Shepard.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I'm not so sure about that. Without the fly-by-wire system, the F16 would crash

Although the F-16 is only unstable in one dimension (can't remember which one), while other and newer aircraft are unstable in all three dimension, like the F-117 Stealth fighter. So if the computer in your F-117 breaks down you will loose control over the aircraft within a couple of seconds.

Here's a piece of useless trivia: Do you know why the F-117 has flat surfaces to deflect radar instead of round surfaces like the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber?

Yes, that was the point of the F-16 anecdote. Let's see THEM fly with an older and simpler design !
    The F-16 is unstable along the longitudinal axis (nose-to-tail) and basically needs a computer to keep it from departing.

Jim, I saw that "interesting" piece on the Raptor a while ago. The Super Hornet boys had a field day with that one.
    Btw, they are reducing the planned numbers from day to day, so the USAF decided on a scaled-down design in order to put more birds in the air:

It seems that they chose the Corvette approach. Sacrifice some creature comforts in order to make a no-nonsense air dominance fighter .

I see its canopy must have peeled off, so it does use Corvette technology or Lockheed is starting over.

You can see that model is just for sergeants. The officers model would have wing pylons for golf bags and in motion champagne refueling system.

But how much did they pay for that? It has to be the dorkyiest thing in their inventory.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I see its canopy must have peeled off, so it does use Corvette technology or Lockheed is starting over.

You can see that model is just for sergeants. The officers model would have wing pylons for golf bags and in motion champagne refueling system.

But how much did they pay for that? It has to be the dorkyiest thing in their inventory.

Considering the Air Farce's budget, it was probably a bargain. Only $50 million, for the F-22 Air Dominance Fighter, ready to take on any threat the world can throw at it, and also carry the officers' golf bags .

The AF does have "luggage" pods for F15's and 16's. So you can transport your clubs, baggage and souvenirs.

I dont think the US Navy bought them for the F 18's. No comment about that. But who would want to be on a carrier with no liquor and no friendly women anyway.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Some guesses..

The B2 has coatings to absorb microwaves. Hence its need for special enviromentally controled hangars.

The F117 uses its angular design to disperse microwaves instead of relecting them back directly.

....wasnt the Dehavilland Mosquito the first "modern" inadvertant "stealth" aicraft? And wasnt the Vulcan bomber the first "intentional" low radar singature aircraft?

FWIW, I think the F22 has the radar cross section of a German Shepard.

Good guesses, but the answer is quite simple, and a bit funny. When the F-117 was designed back in the 70's the computers weren't powerful enough to calculate shapes in 3D, they could only calculate 2D shapes, so the F-117 is made up of many flat panels

Not the most aerodynamic aircraft in the world though, the engineers at Lockheed Skunk Works called it "the flying vortex generator". But it worked, the only time it was visible on radar during testing in the Nevada desert was when a bird sat on top of the model

How do I know all this? From this book, highly recommended if you're into this stuff. It covers the development of the U-2, SR-71 and the F-117:
    Skunk Works : A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed

The Mosquito was the first stealth aircraft yes, since it was (largely) made of wood. Not sure about the Vulcan, but the SR-71 was also quite stealthy because of its shape.

German Shepard The F-117 has a lower radar signature than a hummingbird

Temm, when you see a F117 fly over low its very confusing.
    Its very quiet and the wierd shapes of the trailing edges of its wings make it hard to tell if it is coming or going.

Take a look at a Visby class warship. It uses some F117 fusealage angles on its superstructure to deflect radar waves.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    by the side of the road.

F16s are older technology. So lets go to the new stuff

The F22. This one suffered over $1M damage when the fire fighters had to get the pilot out of a locked cockpit. The network and software had a "slight" glitch...

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,97576,00.html?ESRC=soldiertech.nl

just cut n paste it into your url box Lockheed style

What I think is awesome is that this has turned into a air force bash which is a Marine officer like myself's dream.

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    What I think is awesome is that this has turned into a air force bash which is a Marine officer like myself's dream.

The Marines and Navy do not count. They have no pilots anyway, just aviators in ice cream suits on rafts.

Its really a bash on the manufacturer.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

The Marines and Navy do not count. They have no pilots anyway, just aviators in ice cream suits on rafts.

Its really a bash on the manufacturer.

Marines and icecream suits? Wrong service bud.

Jim, have you been living under a rock? We all know Marine pilots look like James Brolin and wear green suits!
    Seriously though, if I were applying for a SNA slot, I'd definitely go Navy. Better funding than the Corps, but they both have much better flying skills than the push-button Air Farce. Too bad I'm not an American .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Jim, have you been living under a rock? We all know Marine pilots look like James Brolin and wear green suits!
    Seriously though, if I were applying for a SNA slot, I'd definitely go Navy. Better funding than the Corps, but they both have much better flying skills than the push-button Air Farce. Too bad I'm not an American .

you dont have to be a citizen to join, that is not a requirement anymore.

But really, the Navy flies older aircraft and does wear funny white suits. They might as well just be flying
    biplanes off of barges in the Gulf of mexico and dropping ice cream cones to illegals crossing over from Mexico.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

But really, the Navy flies older aircraft and does wear funny white suits. They might as well just be flying
    biplanes off of barges in the Gulf of mexico and dropping ice cream cones to illegals crossing over from Mexico.

You don't need to be a citizen to swap the decks, but in order to be able to drop bombs on the unsuspecting population dopwn below, you have to be a citizen (Officer requirements and all that).
    It would actually make a fine job, but I was born in the wrong part of the world for that .

With the latest GPS glide bombs, they can just roll them
    off the lowered ramp of a C130 at 20,000 ft and 40km away from the target so lots of the thrill is gone.

Its no longer eyeball to eyeball.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    off the lowered ramp of a C130 at 20,000 ft and 40km away from the target so lots of the thrill is gone.

Yeah, that sucks. The best era to fly was IMO the late 80's and early 90˙s. New and improved F-14D's, more funds and less terrorists to fry. Nowadays the Navy flies wimpy F/A-18's and is lacking more funds than Fiat.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Sonovabeesting! Where's the involvement and soldier satisfaction we crave in killing or being killed?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The Navy flies as many older aircraft as the Air Force does. All F-14s are being replaced with the brand new F-18 Super Hornets. Very similar to how the Air Force has replaced the F-15 with the F-22. At the same time, the AF, Navy and Marines are all getting the JSF which leads to a sort of quandry for the AF as to the need for the F-22. Every service has ancient aircraft (i.e. B-52 or CH-46). Know your facts Flat6, but I got the impression you're not American anyway so i'm sure it doesn't matter.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762285 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435273 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260467 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257519 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872170 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807549 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM