Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

M3 test mule in Cali (many shots)

This guy apparently tailed the car for an HOUR... he took so many damn shots it was like the TEST car and driver were at a photoshoot. Enjoy.

Re: M3 test mule in Cali (many shots)

more

Thanks for the pics! Are those the same old BMW floating single-piston caliper brakes or Brembos?

omg this begining to look good. im likin it

It's nice to see that BMW is shying away from the IMHO "UGLY" look of the latest generation cars to a more traditional BMW style. They must have finally learned Porsche's lession from the 996 911's Boxster headlights and soft sides...

the backs look like the old style csl like brakes.. .the fronts look like they were borrowed from the M5.... I guess the car is actually a bit away from being in production----

You can see that they had alter the hood in order to fit the engine inside.. (the rivets in the middle). So, maybe there will be a larger powerbuldge like the old one. Either way, I am liking it.

mmmm I Like

that guys a psycho by the way....

congrats to the guy following for an hour! as to the car, it will look better if they dont use the 7 series tail lamps and still with ones more like the 3 sedan...are these still partially covered?

the one feature I do like about the 7 series is the tail lights... and I like them on the 3 series coupe to for one reason--- they make sense. The current 3 series lights are just a big red cluster of crap... I don't like them at all. The last versions lights were big and red too with a small splash of white--- with those lights on the trunk that served no purpose.

The fact that they carried them over in a smaller design to the old Z3's.. was a GREAT thing- the z3 looked great with a 3 series light design that was smaller and had less red and everything.

The side skirts/ground effects, front air dam/air spoiler, (they are going to do somthing to the hood of the car (as you can see it has an improptu powerbuldge that someone riveted into place to accommadate a larger engine, and the rear bumper are all covered and have camo on them.

However, you can sorta see how large the air intakes will be opposed to the way the front skirt is trying to camo the outline of the old M3. Look at the picture 7th and 5th from the bottom---

On the 7th you can see where the camo ends.... and the actual air damn continues past it ending very closly to the side smaller air intakes.... so clearly it will not look anything like that camo is suggesting... the front will have a wider main 'mouth' and I guess is will look sorta M5'ish coupled with a AMG style mouth from width that the camo doesn't cover up. Also, the smaller side intakes on the opposite sides of the mouth look as if they are silver in color... so maybe those are colored on the inside (or that is just the reflection).

Quote:
    0two9 said: ... the one feature I do like about the 7 series is the tail lights...

I like the tail lights on the new Honda Civic sedan better than most of the late BMW rear lights.

The Civic's look more like I think BMW lights should look than do the lights on actual BMW cars of late.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Thanks for the pics! Are those the same old BMW floating single-piston caliper brakes or Brembos?

Looks like floating disc design.

Quote:
    Jean said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Looks like floating disc design.

I agree that the rotors look to be 2-piece floaters, but I'm curious about the calipers. BMW usually used 1-piston floating calipers instead of 4 (or more piston) fixed calipers as found on all the top systems...

Grant --

The second to last photo looks to be clearly the old style 1 piston caliper. A real shame.

Michael

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    I like the tail lights on the new Honda Civic sedan better than most of the late BMW rear lights.

The current BMW design is somehow lacking a certain line of continuancy. The new 5-series is perfect in my opinion and I know that some people disagree. Even the new Z4 isn't that bad, the rear still lacks something. The X3 is an interesting product but somehow boring. The facelifted 7-series is better than the first version but still, too bulky looking, not really nice. But if I look at the new Mercedes S-class, I think limousine drivers really like this weird design (I just feel bad for Maybach buyers because the new S-class really makes the Maybach look "common"). The new BMW 3-series has a pretty boring rear, same applies to the Coupe where the boring rear is even worse since it is supposed to be some sort of sports coupe. But the worst BMW of all right now is the 1-series. This car is absolutely horrible looking.

BMW conservative styling is by no accident. The 3 series is their bread and butter and the king in this segment - their not about to tinker with it. Considering how strong Lexus and Infiniti are come on, it's better for them to play it safe.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

The current BMW design is somehow lacking a certain line of continuancy. The new 5-series is perfect in my opinion and I know that some people disagree. Even the new Z4 isn't that bad, the rear still lacks something. The X3 is an interesting product but somehow boring. The facelifted 7-series is better than the first version but still, too bulky looking, not really nice. But if I look at the new Mercedes S-class, I think limousine drivers really like this weird design (I just feel bad for Maybach buyers because the new S-class really makes the Maybach look "common"). The new BMW 3-series has a pretty boring rear, same applies to the Coupe where the boring rear is even worse since it is supposed to be some sort of sports coupe. But the worst BMW of all right now is the 1-series. This car is absolutely horrible looking.

Yes i agree you. The best looking BMW is 5 series (with sport package). I like it better than any Sline A6 or AMG package E series.

The other bmw designs are crap crap crap. IMO E46 M3 is still better looking than this car on design subject.

BMW need to improve their designs. Isnt anybody looking the design papers from headquarters????

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:BMW conservative styling is by no accident.

I wouldn't call any of the "flame surfaced" designs of late "conservative" at all. They're really fairly radical from a design vocabulary standpoint.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:BMW conservative styling is by no accident.

I wouldn't call any of the "flame surfaced" designs of late "conservative" at all. They're really fairly radical from a design vocabulary standpoint.

I'm not versed in design lingo, so, you'll have to explain what "flamed surface" means someday. But, to my amatuer eyes it looks very similar the current 3 to me.

SV, "Flame Surfacing" is BMW speak for the early 70's Buick like styling indentations on the sides of the latest BMW 3, 5 and Z4 series cars.

In their desire to develop a BMW iconic look for the post modernist era they have simply jumped off a cliff.

That harmonious "all of one piece" look of previous generations has gone missing. Their cars used to have a taught muscular and masculine look,now they look feminine,fussy and without beauty,like a over dressed but average looking girl.

They intentionally switched from a pure aggressive look to a passive aggresive look.

The only thing worse than their outside is the dashboard inside. No longer a militant cockpit, they now look like
    a piece of furniture design in a womans apartment.

flame surfacing is the new bmw style that chris bangle has introduced (as well as some basic art deco styling in order to move ahead with bmw design).

It means that the style of the car will have elements that look sorta like a FLAME (fire). Example, look at the z4 (although it lokos like a bunch of lines an ridges.. it actually is a pretty DIFFICULT design so far as the ridges and lines that it has on its surface).

The car isn't just rounded and put to gether with lines like say a mercedes. It incorporates the curves and design of a flame into it. Look at the side of the car--- if you think of fire and look at the side of the car- it sorta looks the same.

Additionally- look at the 6 series----the 6 series and the 5 series and the z4 BEST show the flame surfacing. Not so much the new 3 series. The only think the new 3 series shows that looks as if it is flame surfaced is the side of the car.. with that line (there is actually a name for it). and the buldge in the hood. along with the front spoiler.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764754 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436773 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261165 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82701 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877113 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809259 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM