Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jason, thank you for making me have a huge, dumb grin

I'd definetly have to agree, (red is amazing!) but too much attention from police in my area. Black is the way to go. Makes me happy i ordered it....i ordered all the carbon fibre, six speed short shifter, sport chorno, black/black....ahhh! Can't wait it will be here before the end of the month!@#!

So nice of you to take time and make a review for us. Thanks very very much!!

Did you get LSD and PCCB?

Ok guys, I've finally uploaded the videos to Google Videos and submitted things so hopefully they should all be approved for viewing soon! I'll definitely post them here once that's been done. 10 videos in all. I think you'll enjoy them.

Personally, I don't know if my car had LSD since that's not obvious but from driving the car, I'd think so. I definitely ordered it though!

I wasn't too sure about the CF trim prior to seeing it in person but now I've ordered the basic package! Looks really sharp! The other CF package is bloody expensive at $2700 USD! Hardly worth it IMHO. I think that the car that I drove had both packages. Looked really good!

I'm glad that all of you guys are enjoying the many pictures that I uploaded! I enjoyed taking them!

Guess what? There STILL more to come! So definitely keep checking the site!

Jason,

what did you think about the exhaust sound? Did it sound adequate or was it below what you would like to hear. This seems to be the only negative thing about this car (at least the only thing left to me).

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    Stradale, that's a great suggestion as in the hot desert sun in Las Vegas the colors do look different. Andre Agassi has a 996TT cab in Artic Silver and lives around the corner, so I see it quite a bit. I have also seen a few Carerra GT's in GT silver and honestly it looks very different than in Jason's pics. I think I prefer the Artic Silver but will go to the dealer and look again under different light conditions to make my choice. Thanks.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I can never be satisfied just being a photographer for just the M5! I don't even own one anymore! Gave it up in anticipation of getting my own 997TT! You can bet that I'll be sure to take plenty more. I just hope that I can meet other 997TT owners in the area. I wouldn't want to be the ONLY one with one.

I took many more shots of just every imaginable part of the Turbo because I knew many of you folks would be asking about this and that. For example, I believe that the seatback of the GT silver is actually the same Krylon (sp?) finish as on the PCM console. Not that pretty IMHO. I may try to get these parts painted. One thing that I'm confused about is the Active Sports Seats. I read somewhere that it basically means that the bolsters are power adjustable but yet one of the hosts (Marc) says that it means that they adjust dynamically in the curves. Can someone verify if that truly is the case. I'd be surprised if it was. The black 997TT had this option and I don't recall feeling the bolsters ever moving once I'd set them.

"Kristina" was one of the driver's girlfriend. She was HOT! Very willing model too. I sure wish that she was my "Tip."

As for the blue car. I do believe that IS Midnight blue after all. I just saw a Lapis blue car and that sure doesn't look as dark as the blue one that I drove originally. BTW, that blue car was the only one with tip but no SC. I managed to get that car at first before swapping over to the black fully loaded car. Both GT silver cars had the cocoa interior which IMHO doesn't look very good with that exterior color.

Thomas, our guide, chose which cars we should get before we got there I think but he did give us the flexibility of being able to swap cars later on in the day. I just wish that I had the foresight in asking for a chance to try a Tip with SC. I'm still happy with the choice that I made in going with a 6 speed with the sport shifter.

From the wandering forrest girl picture below it looks like the seat backs are lighter in color than the vulcan grey that is standard on the PCM consule. That's why I asked if it were Aluminum look. I'm probably going to order this combo - Alum look seat backs (which should be nice on an Artic cab) & Alum look PCM consule, the rest of my interior options will be CF & leather.

There's standard seats, sport seats and adaptive sport seats. The adaptive sport seats have adjustable bolsters (back and seat) that you can inflate to create a tighter sport's driving feel OR deflate so they fall into a more open position. You can adjust the seat bottom bolsters seperately from the side bolsters. In terms of looks they have humps by the shoulder area (like the sport seats) and the seat backs are plastic instead of vinyl giving them a more sporty look. These are the seats I have now and would definitely recommend them over the non adjustable sport seats. So they are "power adjustable" but AFAIK they DO NOT "adjust dynamically in the curves". I think we would have heard this by now if the turbo offered this change from the adaptive sport seats in the 997. I think your friend is thinking about another car that does this automatic adjustment.

I had an M5 too, big difference in the way the 2 cars handle huh?

Thanks again for your write up! Excellent work !

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ok guys, I've finally uploaded the videos to Google Videos and submitted things so hopefully they should all be approved for viewing soon! I'll definitely post them here once that's been done. 10 videos in all. I think you'll enjoy them.

Personally, I don't know if my car had LSD since that's not obvious but from driving the car, I'd think so. I definitely ordered it though!

I wasn't too sure about the CF trim prior to seeing it in person but now I've ordered the basic package! Looks really sharp! The other CF package is bloody expensive at $2700 USD! Hardly worth it IMHO. I think that the car that I drove had both packages. Looked really good!

I'm glad that all of you guys are enjoying the many pictures that I uploaded! I enjoyed taking them!

You should really consider it though. Besides the side & central vents in CF and leather vent slats, you get leather and stitching on the entire upper dashboard and around the speaker by the winshield and CF inserts in the defroster trim. IMO this is probably THE nicest interior option available besides the thicker wheel.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

number one!!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    From the wandering forrest girl picture below it looks like the seat backs are lighter in color than the vulcan grey that is standard on the PCM consule. That's why I asked if it were Aluminum look. I'm probably going to order this combo - Alum look seat backs (which should be nice on an Artic cab) & Alum look PCM consule, the rest of my interior options will be CF & leather.

From this picture, you can see that the trim on the adaptive seats are Krylon grey just like the PCM area. I would love to have these painted but Porsche charges an arm & a leg to do that. I'll much rather have my local paint guy do it for a lot less once I've gotten the car!

As for the M5 vs Turbo handling....they're several leagues apart! Can't even begin to describe how different they are!

I thought about getting the CF package again but it's a bit too much at this time. I'd rather put the money into rims for the car. The CF trim on the dashboard actually reflects off the windshield which was a bit distracting to me.

The videos are finally ready!

Chasing a red 997TT through the Austrian Alps in the wet
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5869749325475451725

Stuck behind traffic in the Austrian Alps
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5586462188770381433

Close up of 997TT LED turn signals flashing
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7936946437244113495

997TT going really fast through a narrow winding road in the wet
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3725511185384366190

997TT Sport Chrono stopwatch in action.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3647560070263516624

Following two 997TT in the wet.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7822551395423934675

997TT driving leisurely through the Alps.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4898357778870258264

Driving the 997TT FAST on the Autobahn in Germany.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4847027180209215661

Close up of 997TT gauges while driving on the Autobahn in Germany.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8677090995755861828

Chasing a 997TT through the tunnel.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6213325730346553630

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Jason,

what did you think about the exhaust sound? Did it sound adequate or was it below what you would like to hear. This seems to be the only negative thing about this car (at least the only thing left to me).

It wasn't as good as my old M5's Dinan exhaust rumble but it gave off a nice shrieking sound! Definitely curable with an aftermarket exhaust.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Jason,

It wasn't as good as my old M5's Dinan exhaust rumble but it gave off a nice shrieking sound! Definitely curable with an aftermarket exhaust.

Thats a great description..."shreiking sound"...thats what a 911 sounds like...I'm okay with that..sometimes less howel and more shriek is in order. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I can hardly wait to get my car. By the way, how was it at 240...can you maybe describe the attitude of the front end of the car at speed. How light did it feel? Did the steering communicate well. Thanks again pal

A few things that I noticed about the European 997TT that I'd like to try and get for mine when it comes:

Clear side markers
    Lowered stance (US models apparently are raised 1.5")
    Convex side mirror on driver's side
    No "objects are closer" on passenger side mirror

When I got the Turbo up to 240 kmph, it felt very stable with plenty more in reserve. From what I can recall, the front end did not feel light at all. Very controllable at those speeds. And oh the brakes! They were amazing! The steering feel was extremely communicative throughout the experience. Probably one of the best steering feeling car I've ever experienced.

I heard that even U.S. models will have the same ride height. Can anyone confirm this? Also, wouldn't raising the U.S. models mess with the networked computers?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Lowered stance (US models apparently are raised 1.5")

You're kidding me. Please tell me your kidding me.

I could be wrong about the raised stance. I seem to recall reading about this somewhere. Raised to meet US bumper specs or something like that. That makes me wonder if the 997TT meets European pedestrian specs.

I really hope that all cars will have the same ride height. From what I've heard, they will. I am waiting for RC to confirm this.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I could be wrong about the raised stance. I seem to recall reading about this somewhere. Raised to meet US bumper specs or something like that. That makes me wonder if the 997TT meets European pedestrian specs.

All models will have same ride height. It's in the catalog.

Thanks for the videos.

Thanks, thats the best news I've heard all day.

Really? Can you point where in the catalog that is? I'd love to see that! That is great news indeed!

Click on Ron's attachment:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...e=7&fpart=1

Scroll down to page 67 and look at camber.

wow

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

On page 70 of the document that svtrader1 mentions above:

Ground clearance

996TT: 90mm (ROW cars), 110mm (US cars)
    997TT: 110mm (ROW cars), 110mm (US cars)

So essentially, the ride height was raised not for the US cars but for the ROW cars for the 997TT.

Re: Opus 911: A turbo introduction

Thanks a lot, very nice report!!!

Thanks Atomic!

Excellent report!

It's funny, a friend of mine test drove the new Turbo too and used the exact same word as well.

He's more of a GT3 kinda guy and basically said, everytime you unleash the power, all you can do is laugh out loud at the ridiculous acceleration, it's beyond anything!
    And he's driven loads of cars incl. F430 etc.

Great pictures too!

I really like the GT silver color, in your pictures, it really shows that it's in between Arctic and Seal, whereas all other pics make it look almost idential to Arctic.
    Good choice for Cobalt though, much more personality!

I believe your guide was wrong regarding dynamic sports seats, adaptative seats means you can adjust via a button the bolsters of the seats but they're not dynamic.

Good choice on the transmission, I'm like you, I prefer to go for the one that gives me most pleasure rather than the fastest!

Jason, this is one of the best features i've enjoyed here on RENNTEAM. thank you for your awesome report.

IMO this is interesting regarding the Tip VS Manual discussion:

Quote:
    For some reason, the 6 speed felt faster to me even though the specs say that the Tip is faster. I always felt like I could keep the car in the powerband easier with the manual than the Tip. There was always a "lag" between the time I pressed the gas and the time that the car would actually move. This happened especially when I was pulling out of a tight turn.

From my experience with the 996 Turbo, it was essential to keep the engine above 3000 RPM so there's no lag. Seems impossible to me when a Tiptronic with 5 gears is in command. Even with VTG.

Thanks again!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'm really surprised that I'd be the first Rennteamer to drive one! I would've thought that somebody here before me would've done it!

If it comforts you: you're not. Despite the fact that 12(!) users are registered with official Porsche Germany email addresses/IPs. Or do you really think our claims about the 997 Turbo over the past 12 months are based on fantasy only.

BTW: you mentioned you liked manual because it felt more spontaneous. Did you use Tiptronic with Sport Chrono activated all the time? Did you use the manual mode of the Tip or the auto mode? Thanks again for the nice report and the beautiful pictures.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I would love to have these painted but Porsche charges an arm & a leg to do that. I'll much rather have my local paint guy do it for a lot less once I've gotten the car!

IMHO don't do that. If you're not going to have Porsche paint the seatbacks just leave them alone. Lots of reasons.

RC

I never got a chance to try a Tip with Sport Chrono. I switched to a manual with SC and immediately fell in love with the car. I stayed with that car for the rest of the event.

For me, I had more "whoo ha" moments with the manual than the Tip. But bottom line is, Tip or manual, I could not stop grinning from corner to corner when driving the Turbo! It's just an awesome car, period!

Oh, I knew that I wasn't the first Rennteamer that got to try the car out. I knew that Wonderbar went before me. I think that I was the first to actually take a TON of pictures and write first hand impressions on the car here.

However, I did get to play with the manual mode of the Tip and was not impressed at all. I think that I like having more control of the transmission changes so the manual would be a better fit for me.

Stradale, I wasn't serious about doing that. I'll stick with the Krylon color which IMHO isn't that bad. I just can't get over how much Porsche charges for certain options! To get the full CF package, it would cost over $11k!

Good news, I just got word from my dealership that my turbo will be built on 08/01 with an estimated delivery date sometime in late September! WHOO HA!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Stradale, I wasn't serious about doing that. I'll stick with the Krylon color which IMHO isn't that bad. I just can't get over how much Porsche charges for certain options! To get the full CF package, it would cost over $11k!

Oh okay.

Stuff's expensive but considering the price of options like alum look which is only paint I think the money is better spent on CF. Just too bad you can't get it for the seat backs and PCM consule. Yup......... Full CF for the 997 is "$11k" for a F430 it's $9000 for just the engine compartment. How bout $17,000 for the Carbon Ceramic brakes ?
    Options alone in the 430 I just ordered were over $35k and I didn't get carbon fiber.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763229 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435781 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260733 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257719 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872666 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808149 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM