Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PDK Transmission

I recently found the Rennteam site and know that I will be spending some time here! I am particulary interested in the PDK transmission and have read the posts here.

Does anyone have any confirmation when it might be available? It sounds like the performance difference might be worth waiting for if it won't be too long.

Re: PDK Transmission

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    I recently found the Rennteam site and know that I will be spending some time here! I am particulary interested in the PDK transmission and have read the posts here.

Does anyone have any confirmation when it might be available? It sounds like the performance difference might be worth waiting for if it won't be too long.

Depends on what you feel is "too long". If you want to wait less than a year, don't wait for the PDK.

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:

Technically, we don't have "confirmation" IF it will be available, let alone WHEN it might be available. The consensus amongst the rumourmongers is no earlier than 2008, and we are all hoping it is available in a 997TT (presumably with the S).

On the safe side, no less than 1 year (MY 08) and no more than 3 years.

A wild guess: if not introduced at the same time of the 997TT cab, MY 09 (summer 08).

There are many people holding out for it (including me), it was mentionned recently it might be the last peice missing on the 997TT to make it phenomenal.

I think the turbo is already phenomenal, especially with the 6 speed. I doubt the PDK will transform the car that much, maybe on the turbo s.

Wait and see...

If the performance difference between the Tip S and the manuel transmission in the 997TT is as significant as is written in the automotive press, can the PDK trans realistically knock and additional .3 or .4 seconds off of the already quick 0-60 mph times of the Tip S transmission?
    A quote from the June issue of Motor Trend re: the 997TT..."the latest Turbo is a stupefyingly impressive sports car. And our advice to all its competitors; sell every Ferrari, Corvette, and Lanborghini you can-before this monster gets that PDK transimission:

Hmmmmmm.....food for thought.

Turbo cab was delayed 6 months and the rumor is the PDK may first show up in it.

Where did you hear that? It doesn't really make sense to introduce a racing type tranny in the more gt-ish turbo cab.

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    If the performance difference between the Tip S and the manuel transmission in the 997TT is as significant as is written in the automotive press, can the PDK trans realistically knock and additional .3 or .4 seconds off of the already quick 0-60 mph times of the Tip S transmission?
    A quote from the June issue of Motor Trend re: the 997TT..."the latest Turbo is a stupefyingly impressive sports car. And our advice to all its competitors; sell every Ferrari, Corvette, and Lanborghini you can-before this monster gets that PDK transimission:

Hmmmmmm.....food for thought.

The major advantage of PDK over Tip will be visible at higher speeds (optimized gearing due to probably 7 gears vs. 5 gears). Of course the faster shift times of PDK will also improve acceleration figures.

Heard it from my dealer who just got back from Germany. He also mentioned that this tranny will be used in the Panamera and also the Cayenne which makes sense since it replaces the Tip. The question is just when...

I see you are from Florida, where abouts? I have a 997TT on order from Reeves in Tampa. Placed order April 7 but don't have a delivery date yet. Has the Tiptronic and Sport Options, I would like the PDK but feel the wait will be well over a year.

Mike

I just got a call from my dealer that I could build a 997tt. I told him that I would wait for a PDK (or whatever its called) transmission - his response was that it won't be until 2010 and probably not in the 997 series. I personally think he's blowing smoke, doesn't know - but I don't appreciate the potential misinformation. Anyway, needless to say I'll continue to be on the wait list (my next Porsche will have a PDK-like transmission) for a while longer.

Sales guy... Obviously he wants the sale now...

Mike...I'm down in Naples...I actually purchased my 06 Range Rover from Reeves...decent group to work with.

Congrats on the 997TT, the waiting is the hardest part. I'm #1 on the list here for the GT3 RS which isn't out till March 07 so I still have a while to wait.

KA,

Thanks. Reeves seems like good folks. I had a issue with Bert Smith where I got my 97 993 from, so didn't go back. Good luck with your GT3RS.

Mike

spoke to an engineer fm porsche germany regarding PDK. they've apparantly already resolved torque issues, & presently working on getting one PDK design to fit all P-cars. this is apparently quite challenging (space constraints for 911 & boxster, + diff. tranny layouts for mid vs. rear engine).

Thanks for the info AS. Did you get the sense that "quite challenging" might mean that the timeline for implementation might be longer than originally thought? Any speculation on when it might be brought to market, and if they would introduce it in several p-cars at the same time?

Dont be too surprised to see the PDK introduced on the new 2008 Boxster first.

Porsche sells all the TT's they can make anyway.

Actually, I would be surprised. With the Carerra GT out of production, can you imagine Porsche launching this much anticipated cutting edge technology in any other car that than their flagship 911 Turbo? If they do, it would really be a shame!!

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    Actually, I would be surprised. With the Carerra GT out of production, can you imagine Porsche launching this much anticipated cutting edge technology in any other car that than their flagship 911 Turbo? If they do, it would really be a shame!!

Or on 997 GT2 ?!

Its too late to time the launch of PDK with the release of the GT2.

they may release PDK the same time as they do a new model, and the closest one is the revised 2008 Boxster. So thats why you might see it offered on the new Boxsters first and then the other models a few months later.

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    Thanks for the info AS. Did you get the sense that "quite challenging" might mean that the timeline for implementation might be longer than originally thought? Any speculation on when it might be brought to market, and if they would introduce it in several p-cars at the same time?

was told nothing abt timeline, nor how they plan to introduce to mkt. but if it's still being worked on by engineering, could be at least 1 year b/f it becomes aval.

I would bet they release this transmission on a high echelon model first

Or secondly, mabye across the entire model range simultaneously?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

they may release PDK the same time as they do a new model, and the closest one is the revised 2008 Boxster. So thats why you might see it offered on the new Boxsters first and then the other models a few months later.

So they dont have in mind of selling any GT2...
    I dont think that people are going to pay 180.000euros + for a car with manual transmission...
    I see Ferrari's waiting lists becoming even longer...
    Maybe Lambos sales too...

Quote:
    Aisxos said:

I dont think that people are going to pay 180.000euros + for a car with manual transmission...
    I see Ferrari's waiting lists becoming even longer...
    Maybe Lambos sales too...

Depends on how fast the GT2 with manual transmission will be

If they are still designing the PDK, I don't see how it could be in a production car in 1 year... That leads back to 2 years or 2009 model in summer 2008.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    I would bet they release this transmission on a high echelon model first

Or secondly, mabye across the entire model range simultaneously?

I agree. Marketing wise they wouldn't release it on the boxster and work it's way up, it would be the other way around.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Given P can only struggle to sell about 50 GT2/yr in US, prob not a good PDK launch vehicle.....

And given P (and F's new-found) ability to maximize margins w/options pricing, I'd bet PDK will be a $10Kish option on launch (isn't F-1 box a $15Kish option?), so prob makes 997TT the most logical launch vehicle: sufficient MSRP, buyer base affluence and sales volumes to appropriately launch an expensive, important piece of optional technology.....

And I'm sure many will vehemently argue PDK is less involving/fun than archaic manual (and others will grouse about the stiff pricing), so it'll take 2-4 yrs before 90% of 997TT buyer base will sign up for PDK.....

Wow if the option is 15K ish USD, in HK with 200% tax it would be 30K ish that's 10% of the price of the turbo and almost 15% of the price of the carrera s which is running around 200K USD base tiptronic s. The option would be quite unreasonably priced in that case.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691173 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410246 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858880 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775201 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM