Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Hope this is not a re-post, but love the idea of a RWD-only R8 V10 for $50k less (would be even better with the gated manual shifter):

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/audis-search-halo-supercar-may-end-mission-e/?wc_mid=4035:5674&wc_rid=4035:2371550&_wcsid=12758258EC526E1319B31E6DC7785DA4FF77852D16CC9521

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Stupid question: Could you look at your PZero (991.2 Turbo S Cab) and tell me if there is a "PZ4" marking anywhere? No hurry.

Smiley 

Could not find "PZ4" just "E4" (see attachment) - hope this helps!

That's definitely the old PZero and not the new PZ4!

Tread pattern is the giveaway.

There is only one PZero Spec for the 991.2 turbo. This car was delivered in March 2016. Should be the latest Porsche spec Smiley Maybe they do a different version for Porsche?

Just did another (visual) comparison between the pictures Christian posted and those I posted: it seems the tires on my car are different from both PZeros in Christians pictures... Just look at the shape of the outer profile, that is tilted at the outer end on my car but not on the other tires depicted. Thus there seems to be a third version of the PZero, made for Porsche SmileySmiley

Grant:

Hope this is not a re-post, but love the idea of a RWD-only R8 V10 for $50k less (would be even better with the gated manual shifter):

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/audis-search-halo-supercar-may-end-mission-e/?wc_mid=4035:5674&wc_rid=4035:2371550&_wcsid=12758258EC526E1319B31E6DC7785DA4FF77852D16CC9521

A more manly R8 kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:

2. R8 facelift may come next year already (same time as Huracan facelift). More differentiation to the first R8 generation visually but also...very likely...no more V10 engine. Smiley Only a V6 Biturbo, which may be introduced this summer/autumn already and a new V8 Biturbo in 2018, which could also be introduced for the Huracan, pushing power to over 650 hp). I heard a similar rumor before but didn't think that this change could happen with the facelift already. 

it would be a tragedy to lose the V10 in the Huracan. Let's hope it is not true.

It would be a tragedy indeed but I think we all knew this day will come eventually, didn't we?!

McLaren was clever: They knew n/a engines have no future, so why bother? Instead, they gave customers excessive power, a love to details, exotic looks and extraordinary performance. Probably the reason why their business works, considering the tough competition.

At Audi, there are currently two fractions regarding the R8: The developers who want a more aggressive looking R8 with a sportier setup and the management who wants to keep the R8 the way it is...or remove it completely from Audi's model line. There is still the rumor that with the introduction of the next generation (using Porsche's sportscar platform), the R8 will be history and only the Huracan and "960" remain. Porsche won't use a V10 for sure, even if their V10 in the Carrera GT was pretty sensational.

To paint a picture how tragic the situation is right now for the R8: In a license plate region with around 400k people, I have the only R8 V10 Plus Coupe customer car. There is only another new V10 Spyder. The remaining two(!) R8 registered in my region (same license plates) are dealership cars.

So I drive the only new R8 here, which is a real tragedy. In comparison, there are five customer registered Huracan and three Aventador. This is so sad...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Grant:

The only thing I know for sure is that a 2.9 l V6 Biturbo is coming in the current R8, as some sort of entry level model priced around 130k EUR (current entry price for the R8 is 166k EUR right now). Power is rumored at 480-500 hp. This entry level R8 will do 0-100 kph in around 3.6 seconds, top speed is rumored at 310 kph.

Same engine used in the Panamera 4S and new RS5.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

It would be a tragedy indeed but I think we all knew this day will come eventually, didn't we?!

McLaren was clever: They knew n/a engines have no future, so why bother? Instead, they gave customers excessive power, a love to details, exotic looks and extraordinary performance. Probably the reason why their business works, considering the tough competition.

At Audi, there are currently two fractions regarding the R8: The developers who want a more aggressive looking R8 with a sportier setup and the management who wants to keep the R8 the way it is...or remove it completely from Audi's model line. There is still the rumor that with the introduction of the next generation (using Porsche's sportscar platform), the R8 will be history and only the Huracan and "960" remain. Porsche won't use a V10 for sure, even if their V10 in the Carrera GT was pretty sensational.

To paint a picture how tragic the situation is right now for the R8: In a license plate region with around 400k people, I have the only R8 V10 Plus Coupe customer car. There is only another new V10 Spyder. The remaining two(!) R8 registered in my region (same license plates) are dealership cars.

So I drive the only new R8 here, which is a real tragedy. In comparison, there are five customer registered Huracan and three Aventador. This is so sad...

..so you have the most exclusive car in your region. Smiley No reason to worry be proud about it. Yesterday I asked my sales guy about the R8 I've looked at in the last weeks. He confirmed the car isn't available anymore....Smiley

I was to late and to much undecided.

--

Conny997:
    RC:

..so you have the most exclusive car in your region. Smiley No reason to worry be proud about it. Yesterday I asked my sales guy about the R8 I've looked at in the last weeks. He confirmed the car isn't available anymore....Smiley

I was to late and to much undecided.

--

I know...I picked up my R8 yesterday and talked to him. Smiley

Exclusivity is nice but in the case of the R8, it makes me sad. This car deserves better. Smiley

Well, the SQ7 sells like crazy though... Smiley 

--

MKSGR:
    MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Stupid question: Could you look at your PZero (991.2 Turbo S Cab) and tell me if there is a "PZ4" marking anywhere? No hurry.

Smiley 

Could not find "PZ4" just "E4" (see attachment) - hope this helps!

That's definitely the old PZero and not the new PZ4!

Tread pattern is the giveaway.

There is only one PZero Spec for the 991.2 turbo. This car was delivered in March 2016. Should be the latest Porsche spec Smiley Maybe they do a different version for Porsche?

Just did another (visual) comparison between the pictures Christian posted and those I posted: it seems the tires on my car are different from both PZeros in Christians pictures... Just look at the shape of the outer profile, that is tilted at the outer end on my car but not on the other tires depicted. Thus there seems to be a third version of the PZero, made for Porsche SmileySmiley

Here is a picture I took today of the PZero's on a brand new (0 Km) 911 Turbo S and it is the same as yours Markus Smiley 

And bellow a photo of the Pzero on a R8 Plus "Selection 24" limited edition (25 units) which has the same Pzeros as Christians with the PZ4 on the sidewall and the different thread pattern.

Porsche's N1 seems to be different indeed.

2017-04-01 16.53.38.jpg

2017-04-01 17.52.30.jpg

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Many thanks for confirming, Carlos Smiley

Happy to wink

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The plot thickens....................

What is Pirelli up to.

--

Whoopsy:

The plot thickens....................

What is Pirelli up to.

Smiley

It seems that Porsche is using the compound mixture based on the PZ4 PZero but with the old profile design. Which brings me back to the importance of using manufacturer recommended tires on sportscars.

--

Btw: Met a couple of new gen C63 AMG S Coupe on the Autobahn A8 yesterday, all in white with Stuttgart license plates. One tried to keep up but it fell back slowly all the time in the 160 to 310 kph speed range I was driving. Still...impressive performance, they do slightly over 12 seconds from 0-200 kph.  I wonder if there was some sort of driving event for customers or some sorts of promo. This car looks great, very wide back with wider fenders, quite nice.

--

"Caught" one of the drivers yesterday, had a nice chat and a coffee (I knew the driver from an AMG event a couple of years ago, funny how small the world is). Very nice looking car, especially in white. I felt that weird "itching" again...to get one. Told me that traction isn't that great though but on the Autobahn, the car is a beast (which I can confirm).

Car was tuned btw., 575 hp (chip tuning only, done directly by the Mercedes dealer angel), 3k EUR price tag. Not bad for 65 hp more...

Sound was OK but not very loud. Still...a genuine V8 sound and not that typical "farting" you hear on latest cars with Biturbo engines (mostly V6 engines though).

I looked at that C63 for a couple of minutes and I think that white is the best color for this car. 

If this car had AWD, it would be the perfect family commuter (rear seats are acceptable, even for adults).

IMG_3334.JPG

--

First signs that the R8 will be sold indecision

BjoernB:

I have to disappoint you. The R8 stays. Smiley Only car which could replace it is the Huracan Performante but I cannot afford it (unless Apple stock reaches 200 USD by the end of the year... Smiley Smiley). Nothing else tempts me as a replacement but I have a couple of cars on my radar as replacements for my Mini JCW (daily driver) and the 991.1 GTS Cab which is, very likely, going to my wife next April.

The C63 AMG S Coupe has no AWD though and the driver told me that the traction issues drove him mad a couple of times. He is thinking about getting the new E63 AMG S (the one with the drift mode Smiley) instead, also because he needs a little bit more luggage room.

Right now, I have the new RS3 on my radar as a Mini JCW replacement.

Also, I cannot exclude getting the "960" when it shows up. Only if the emotional side fits me though. Will know soon enough once the "960" mules will hit the road. Some in R8 or Aventador disguise. Smiley Smiley

--

BjoernB:

This is how it always starts... indecision

--

bluelines:
    BjoernB:

This is how it always starts... indecision

Nope, sorry guys. Too happy with the R8. Smiley

This is like in a marriage: You can still enjoy looking at other women but after you found your true love, there is no need for anything else anymore. Smiley

Still having that Huracan Performante on my mind though, doesn't go away. First moment I can afford it, I will try to get one. Smiley And since I am still a Porsche guy, I am willing to give that "960" a shot when it comes. 

Sorry, no more 911 for me, I kind of outgrew from it. Smiley 

--

I'd love to put yr buys over the last 10 years against it - how many cars were those again ? I remember 6 easily not counting the SUV's indecision

BjoernB:

I'd love to put yr buys over the last 10 years against it - how many cars were those again ? I remember 6 easily not counting the SUV's indecision

True but, with the exception of the Cayenne GTS (the Jeep GC SRT made more sense for our needs as a family), all SUVs were kept the whole lease period. The Macan Turbo lease was only ended prematurely because we profited from it in many ways (cheaper lease, bigger car, less headache when returning).

Yes, my other cars are a different story but maybe you didn't notice, the R8 is already almost a year old. Also, the 991.1 GTS Cab is with me already two years as well. Smiley

When I like a specific car, I like it. And I keep it. Smiley

--

Security won't let me drive my 911R into that plaza surprise

--

Oh, look RC. It is your favourite Shmee with R8s kiss

--

Could it be...??! RC IS Shmeeangel  This internet stuff with avatar's is a very good way to hide your real identity. But good for RC/Shmee, I thought, based on his avatar, that he was slightly older....

Shmee is humble and never claimed super powers indecision

😀😀😀

that Shmee R8 video was pure Audi marketing .. quite terrible

sfo:

that Shmee R8 video was pure Audi marketing .. quite terrible

Shmee himself is quite terrible. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

C'mon, he is not that bad, after a hard day in the office, a certainly like his reports and stuff.Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM