Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Oh brother, you guys are gonna crucify me!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    stanwan said:
    THat is almost identical to the spec I was interested in. They had one going for Pounds60k all-in at Porsche Stratford with only 5k on the clock. II dithered too long unfortunately.

I fear you will regret your dithering - that's for sure!!

It was going to be a stop gap between my current car and the AMV8. I've decided to be patient and wait it out instead.

GT & cocoa does look fantastic though

Now you guys are gonna chop me up after you've crucified me!

After changing to GT silver yesterday, I woke up this morning and instantly regretted my decision. I have changed back to arctic silver.

Why did I briefly consider GT silver? Well, I saw a 996TTS in GT silver in Porsche Centre Mayfair on Sunday night. It looked really great. Then I saw a 997 C4S Cab on Monday belonging to a neighbour which was GT silver/cocoa interior and cocoa soft top. It was simply gorgeous.

I know for certain that I only want a silver car and I love both arctic silver and GT silver. Both gorgeous colours. Choosing between them has been really agonising.

Although I toyed with the idea some weeks back of slate grey with cocoa, I never actually made the change. At the end of the day, I know I want a 'gleaming' silver Porsche.

Regarding my 48 hour affair with GT silver, I think I should have slept on it a bit longer before making the change.

IMHO both arctic silver and GT silver blend very well with cocoa but GT silver does IMHO blend slightly better with cocoa than arctic silver does. But there's very little in it.

However, arctic is just much better suited to the often dull, grey weather we have in the UK. It may not rain that much but we just don't have the sunshine that people in sunny climates take for granted. GT silver is a more 'complex' colour with greater depth but you need plenty of sunshine to appreciate this greater depth of colour, otherwise GT silver can simply look 'dull'. Here in the UK, the weather can be so dull we just can't properly appreciate that colour's complexity and depth.

I have been persuading myself throughout this whole process with a whole variety of rational arguments for quite a long time. Then suddenly, my heart takes a fancy to another colour and for a few days or even a week, I get side-tracked. I had made up my mind to go for arctic silver and cocoa so I now feel pretty angry at myself for allowing myself to be so easily distracted like that.

The reality is this, rational arguments are fine but they can get sidelined in an instant if the heart wanders through poor self-discipline.

Instead, I should simply accept that no amount of rationalising is ever going to take me to a permanent certainty. Colour is overall a subjective choice so I should just ask myself what appeals to me and stick to that.

I know I want a brilliantly shiny, gleaming silver Porsche so arctic silver is right for me and I love it. I love GT silver too but I know I will regret choosing it.

John H, why didn't I ask you first before flirting with GT silver? LOL

So my spec is back to:

997 C2S Coupe, 6 speed manual, MY2007 C16 RHD UK spec
    X1 Arctic silver metallic
    RA Cocoa full leather interior
    P12 Automatically dimming interior & exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    P17 -20mm sports suspension with mechanical rear differential lock
    635 ParkAssist
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    650 Electric tilt/slide sunroof
    XLF Porsche Sports Exhaust system
    407 19 inch SportDesign alloy wheels
    446 Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    P01 Adaptive sports seats
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey
    XX1 Floor mats in cocoa (M6C) with Porsche logo in silver and leather edging in cocoa
    XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
    XZD Interior light surround in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CUV Porsche Exclusive: centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' logo (but with Carrera S logo inverted 180 degrees so that it is the correct way up for a driver of a RHD car)
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' logo)
    672 Extended PCM Navigation module
    680 BOSE Sound System
    900 Factory Collection 911 (Stuttgart)
    674 Preparation for Porsche Vehicle Tracking System
    567 Grey top tint on windscreen
    666 Telephone for PCM
    XNS Steering column casing in leather
    CCW Porsche Exclusive: B-pillar belt outlet trim in Alu-look
    CDZ Porsche Exclusive: Gear console top trim in cocoa leather
    X97 Gear lever in aluminium

The following are standard on an 'S':
    435 3 spoke sports steering wheel in leather
    P74 Bi-xenon headlamps with headlamp cleaning system
    Aluminium instrument dials

Re: Now you guys are gonna chop me up after you've crucified

"After changing to GT silver yesterday, I woke up this morning and instantly regretted my decision. I have changed back to arctic silver."

HeHeHe..., You will love it TOO !!

Re: Now you guys are gonna chop me up after you've crucified me!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

John H, why didn't I ask you first before flirting with GT silver? LOL

Always willing to help with your flirting!!

You have a seriously top-notch set of wheels to look forward to which will stand the test of time - probably unique.

Re: Now you guys are gonna chop me up after you've crucified me!

Thanks very much guys!

I know you've gone through the same kind of agony too when you were choosing colours, options etc.

Honestly, I never realised that buying a Porsche involves this much agony! At least, it's a pleasant kind of torture!

Feeling much more peaceful now....

I've been sleeping on the colour choice decision and I feel sure now that I prefer arctic silver to GT silver.

I've added one more option today: CVW Porsche Exclusive: interior rear view mirror in leather. So now my spec is:

P12 Automatically dimming interior & exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    635 ParkAssist
    342 Seat heating
    XX1 Floor mats in cocoa (M6C) with Porsche logo in silver and leather edging in cocoa
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CUV Porsche Exclusive: centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' logo (but with Carrera S logo inverted 180 degrees so that it is the correct way up for a driver of a RHD car)
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' logo)
    680 BOSE Sound System
    567 Grey top tint on windscreen
    666 Telephone for PCM
    CCW Porsche Exclusive: B-pillar belt outlet trim in Alu-look
    CDZ Porsche Exclusive: Gear console top trim in leather
    CVW Porsche Exclusive: interior rear view mirror in leather

So, that's it. I'm done. I can sleep peacefully now... but the waiting is starting to feel really difficult... I just can't wait till September!

Re: Feeling much more peaceful now....

I specifically left that option out,--the rearview mirror in leather to match. I felt that if I had trouble with it somewhere down the road it would be a lot harder (and take a lot longer) to replace it if it was something other than basic black. It's a fairly complex little thing now with the auto dimming function.

dan

The waiting is becoming really difficult now....

Dan L, I respect your decision. Personally, I didn't want the black plastic finish on the mirror. I figure if something goes wrong, they will be able to supply it to me again as a replacement part anyway.

Anyway, I have to somehow make it through to late September....

567 Grey top tinted windscreen
    635 ParkAssist
    342 Seat heating
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CCW Porsche Exclusive: B-pillar seat belt outlet trim in aluminium-look finish
    CUV Porsche Exclusive: centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' model logo (but with Carrera S logo inverted 180 degrees so that it is the correct way up for a driver of a RHD car)
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' model logo)
    666 Telephone module for PCM
    680 BOSE Sound System

Re: The waiting is becoming really difficult now....

After all this fluctuating between arctic silver and GT silver , I finally decided to go for GT silver.

I happened to be passing Porsche Centre West London on Saturday so I popped in and saw both GT silver and arctic silver PROPERLY. While my brain kept screaming out that arctic is more practical given the dull, wet weather in the UK and how I might regret getting GT silver for this reason, my heart was just longing for GT silver and my heart won because I have to be in love with this car. On Monday, three of my neighbours had parked their cars outside our building. Two were arctic and one was GT and the choice was clear to me. So, finally, this is it:

U2 GT-silver metallic
    567 Grey top tinted windscreen
    635 ParkAssist
    342 Seat heating
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CCW Porsche Exclusive: B-pillar seat belt outlet trim in aluminium-look finish
    CUV Porsche Exclusive: centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' model logo
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' model logo)
    666 Telephone module for PCM
    680 BOSE Sound System

Now I just have to wait till September and it's getting harder and harder...

Re: The longer you wait, the longer the options list grows!!

The wait is killing you??? Imagine that your car is only 180 km (~ 110 mls) away from you, ready to go and you can't pick it up for the next four weeks.

Trust me...there is nothing worse.

RC, I am sure I can't even begin to imagine how much you must be really suffering!!

As for me, this will be my very first Porsche. The excitement is really killing me. I feel like a child waiting for my christmas presents. Worse still, for me, this is the fulfilment of my childhood dream - to own a thoroughbred sports car.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos when your new car comes and also reading your report on the 997TT.

easy_rider911--my car completed Checkpoint 8 yesterday, and I'm sure it is now relegated to the back lot until I get there on the 13th to pick it up. I hope they have it stored in a hermetically sealed container (but I know the truth!).

Dan

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    ...the excitement is really killing me. I feel like a child waiting for my christmas presents....

We see it EasyRider..., we read it..., we feel it..., we can even touch it...YOUR EXCITEMENT !!
    But every Rennteamer is with you, every step of the way, BECAUSE we have ALL been there.
    Write about your Excitement, like you're doing now, and we WILL stand by you and help you in every way we can.
    That's what it's all about, Dreaming..., Buying..., Waiting for..., Owning A PORSCHE !!
    IT IS HARD but it will pass and later on you will cherish these feelings.
    I don't know you but somehow I feel related to you and that's all because we have the same feeling about PORSCHE (Cars).
    It's a Love-Hate affair but it's ruling our worlds and it has brought, US RENNTEAMERS, closer together, so IMO IT'S GREAT.

Hang in there Buddy

Hey,--if anyone is in Zuffenhausen take a peek on the back lot accessable from Neckarsulmer Straße and look for my blue turquoise 997S Cab with hardtop! (Natural Brown interior). Take pictures!

Dan

Thanks for your kindness and support!

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    We see it EasyRider..., we read it..., we feel it..., we can even touch it...YOUR EXCITEMENT !!
    But every Rennteamer is with you, every step of the way, BECAUSE we have ALL been there.
    Write about your Excitement, like you're doing now, and we WILL stand by you and help you in every way we can.
    That's what it's all about, Dreaming..., Buying..., Waiting for..., Owning A PORSCHE !!
    IT IS HARD but it will pass and later on you will cherish these feelings.
    I don't know you but somehow I feel related to you and that's all because we have the same feeling about PORSCHE (Cars).
    It's a Love-Hate affair but it's ruling our worlds and it has brought, US RENNTEAMERS, closer together, so IMO IT'S GREAT.

Hang in there Buddy

Thank you so much for all your kindness and support Freak 2! It means so much to me. Really, even though I don't actually know other people here, these 'virtual' friendships are priceless! I feel like a valued part of something really special.

Yes, it really hurts having to wait so long. Before, when I wasn't in a position to order, it didn't hurt so badly but now that everything is ready to go, it's like every day and week is simply torture. I just can't wait to get behind the steering wheel and experience the joy of that car!

Yes - you guys know how I must feel. You've been there already. It's my first Porsche. It may be the only Porsche I ever buy since I intend to keep this one for a very long time. It's possible that I may never sell it even if I buy another in 15-20 years time.

This morning, I finally managed to speak to my German dealer to confirm my final specification to him. I still have to wait some days for him to let me know that my final changes have been accepted (i.e. made before it's too late to make any more changes) so I am waiting anxiously at the moment.

I have ordered a MY2007 car so it could be built in August or, more likely, September. Since today is 31 May, I am expecting that with around 3 months to go, I should not have a problem having these final changes accepted. However, if anybody here can guide me on this, I would really appreciate it so that I can breathe a little more easily during this week to come.

I just need to busy myself with something else just to take my mind off it. I need to plan my drive around Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco & France). By the way, I've extended this from 6 days to 14 days to do it really properly. I'll post details when it's planned.

I'm just eagerly awaiting details of the MY2007 price rises and specification changes in the German market now....

Thanks so much again for all the kindness you are extending to me. I wish all people outside rennteam were this kind.

Re: Thanks for your kindness and support!

Easy,

So glad that your spec' is finally sorted.
    With 3 months lead-time you shouldn't have any problems with changes but it would be wise to have them confirmed in writing.

Did your wife help make the final decision on GT silver?

You may like to consider hiring a 997S for a week-end just to get the feel - in fact with the size of your spec' and the amount you'll be paying, your dealer may be prepared to lend you one!!

Best regards, John

Re: Thanks for your kindness and support!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

This morning, I finally managed to speak to my German dealer to confirm my final specification to him. I still have to wait some days for him to let me know that my final changes have been accepted (i.e. made before it's too late to make any more changes) so I am waiting anxiously at the moment.

I have ordered a MY2007 car so it could be built in August or, more likely, September. Since today is 31 May, I am expecting that with around 3 months to go, I should not have a problem having these final changes accepted. However, if anybody here can guide me on this, I would really appreciate it so that I can breathe a little more easily during this week to come...

IMO these last changes will not be any problem at all !!
    They surely will not close your order yet !!
    There is time enough left before Your Beauty will be built !!

That sounds reassuring - thanks!

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    IMO these last changes will not be any problem at all !!
    They surely will not close your order yet !!
    There is time enough left before Your Beauty will be built !!

Thanks Freak 2! I will only know for sure that my changes are all accepted when I get written confirmation of the changes from my dealer in Germany. However, hearing the above thoughts from you is certainly reassuring in the meantime...

So far I only know the "Commission Number" for my order but my dealer told me that, once the MY2007 is launched and the MY2007 details are available, we can track this Commission Number through the system. My dealer told me that I would know the "Production Number" only when there are just some weeks left until the car is built and when the order has been released for production.

That day can't come soon enough!

I've gone through the brochures over and over again to make sure there are no more changes to my order.

Interestingly, the Car Configurator on the Porsche GB website is not as good as the Configurator on the German website. First of all, it sometimes doesn't work. Secondly, it locks you out after a shorter interval. Thirdly, it causes more fuss when you want to save your configuration but fourthly, and most important of all, the GB configurator does not contain all the Porsche Exclusive options. The German configurator is fantastic by comparison. It lists every single Exclusive option, gives you an info box on each one and allows you to see a computer generated view of each option. It's brilliant.

The only disadvantage is that it's all in the German language. Believe me, over the past few months I've learnt so much German! LOL

Actually, I cheat a little. I have a German price list and a UK price list. The layout is very similar so I can figure out what everything means.

For those items that are tricky to figure out, Google has a language tool so you type in a German word or phrase and it translates it into English.

Cheers mate!

Quote:
    John H said:
    So glad that your spec' is finally sorted.
    With 3 months lead-time you shouldn't have any problems with changes but it would be wise to have them confirmed in writing.

Did your wife help make the final decision on GT silver?

You may like to consider hiring a 997S for a week-end just to get the feel - in fact with the size of your spec' and the amount you'll be paying, your dealer may be prepared to lend you one!!

Thanks mate....though it took me a very long time to get there. Sometimes I wish I was more like people who know exactly what they want instantly...it would cause me a lot less grief and agony along the way! But seriously though, I think the best decisions are ones that mature and develop over time. They're the decisions one can live with over a long period of time. (The old maxim "Act in haste, repent at leisure" seems very apt). Still, at least I got there in the end.

Yep - I listened to your advice and just followed my wife's guidance. She knows me too well. It's funny how things turned out that day. We happened to be going west out of London. I suggested we stop off at the Porsche West London dealership on the A4. Luckily, they had two 997S in GT silver (one of which had cocoa interior too) and numerous Carreras/Boxsters in Arctic silver so I had a perfect opportunity to have a really good look at both colours. The choice was so clear to me. I just loved GT silver.

When we got home, rather than racking my brains and just getting all confused again, I just asked myself which I preferred. No reasoning, just a conclusion. It was GT silver. I decided to simply ignore all the rational arguments I had made. This decision has got to be made with the heart.

My wife just said to me, "I know you. You like both colours but it's so obvious your heart is set on GT silver so just get that otherwise you just won't be happy". And that was that. Seems simple now but boy have I faffed around on my way there. I'm happy, excited but also relieved that it's done.

Yep, as I mentioned to Freak 2, I am waiting for confirmation in writing from my dealer. He will send me a revised specification letter which he and his boss will sign.

I am waiting till the factory can also give me a computer printout with all my options etc on it. Does anybody know how long it takes before this is possible? My dealer says we have to wait until the MY2007 details are announced before he can do this. Seems strange to me so I don't know whether to believe it.

As for hiring a 997S, I might just do this. If I'm honest I should admit that I could do with a few days driving a manual again. I even considered taking 1 or 2 driving lessons. After all I passed my manual driving test 18 years ago and my BMW is a steptronic auto so I need to get back into the habit of driving a manual. But it's no problem, I have a manual licence and I have happily been on 3 test drives where I have driven a manual 997S. It's like riding a bicycle, you never forget how.

I do need to practice heel/toe downshifts though. I never learnt how to do those. I've been reading some websites that teach how to do it. I might rent a crappy car so that I can wreck that cars gearbox and clutch!

But I don't think my dealer will lend me a 997S. He is in Germany so it's a big ask.

Thanks John for your words of advice and help. I appreciate it!

I am just curious but does anyone know whether this thread has set the record for the longest one yet?

No way man! You should see the other threads on topics like PSE mods etc. They go on forever!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    No way man! You should see the other threads on topics like PSE mods etc. They go on forever!

I of course was just pulling your leg. Your car sounds beautiful and I look forward to the pics!!

Thank goodness - I can breathe easy now. The factory accepted my final changes. I was worried that I might have run out of time to make these final changes.

By the way, could anybody here please answer the questions I raised earlier?

1) "I am waiting till the factory can also give me a computer printout with all my options etc on it. Does anybody know how long it takes before this is possible? My dealer says we have to wait until the MY2007 details are announced before he can do this. Seems strange to me so I don't know whether to believe it." Is this correct?

2) "So far I only know the "Commission Number" for my order but my dealer told me that, once the MY2007 is launched and the MY2007 details are available, we can track this Commission Number through the system. My dealer told me that I would know the "Production Number" only when there are just some weeks left until the car is built and when the order has been released for production." Is this correct?

Thanks guys

easy_rider

I suspect that statement is true,--only until the MY07 data is released will they be able to give you a ProForma printout that gives you a solid verification that all your options have been acknowledged.

You will soon have n "ORD" number which is how they will track you through all the stuff up to the week the car goes into production. Late in that week you will finally get your VIN number, and a few days later the car will complete Checkpoint 8. (That's where I am finally,--with pickup on the 13th!!)

Good luck!

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764027 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436323 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260959 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257895 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808705 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM