Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Design Tower in Miami

This is a pretty interesting article on the Porsche Design tower in Miami. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/property-and-architecture/elevating-design-porsche-design-tower-miami-turns-residents/

Re: Porsche Design Tower in Miami

I was about to post the update.  I know we have talked about this in the past - looks cool.  RC will like - his hotspot in Miami.

Flew over it recently. It is very nice, kinda lost up north though...

Leawood911:

I was about to post the update.  I know we have talked about this in the past - looks cool.  RC will like - his hotspot in Miami.

I love it, I'm there at least twice a year...Sunny Isles Beach. Very nice location, directly on the beach, Publix (and many nice quite good restaurants) is on the other side of the main road, Aventura mall is also around the corner, incl. the Mount Sinai emergency room (if needed Smiley). We actually did a tour of this tower, oh boy...so nice...can't afford a condo there though, not even the cheapest one. They seem to be looking for buyers, many potential Brazilian customers who wanted to get a condo there apparently ran out of money... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

Flew over it recently. It is very nice, kinda lost up north though...

You'd rather see this in South Beach? Smiley Smiley

The location is quite good in my opinion but of course this can look differently in a decade or two.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I imagine he wait times for that car lift could be pretty high. Is there just the one?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

They've done this in Singapore years ago. Not really a good decision when you consider the price per square foot. Miami is of course vastly cheaper than Singapore, but still seems like it would be better to just have a garage space, not to mention the wait. Does the guy with the $15M Penthouse get an elevator override for people lower than him?

DaveGordon:

I imagine he wait times for that car lift could be pretty high. Is there just the one?

When we visited it, we were told that there are three major lifts taking care of the car transport and the waiting time with a car would never be more than five to ten minutes tops. Apparently they would even have a special valet service for that, so you don't even have to do it yourself. Getting out of the building with a car has priority over getting in.

Also, according to the sales agent, over 20(!) billionaires bought condos there, which surprised her as well. 

Sunny Isles Beach is really a pretty "quiet" place for a Florida beach and not even close to the craziness on South Beach. 

Living-room-at-Porsche-Design-Tower-in-Miami_dezeen_5.jpg

--

They are trophy properties for these people. They will barely ever set a foot there... These neighborhoods are mostly empty except for a couple of weeks a year. Since we were looking for places to relocate permanently at some point, we simply wrote off the entire area. Of course the schools theer are not very good as you can expect and the good private schools are south Miami near the university. I even know people who lived south Miami and got a condo to go to the beach on the weekend, or they get a smal yacht and go to the Keys or Bimini.

SciFrog:

They are trophy properties for these people. They will barely ever set a foot there... These neighborhoods are mostly empty except for a couple of weeks a year. Since we were looking for places to relocate permanently at some point, we simply wrote off the entire area. Of course the schools theer are not very good as you can expect and the good private schools are south Miami near the university. I even know people who lived south Miami and got a condo to go to the beach on the weekend, or they get a smal yacht and go to the Keys or Bimini.

If you can afford this way of life, why not? I know a couple of people there who use these properties as permanent residencies but they like it there, a lot. Probably because they come from regions with bad weather and/or less stable political situations. A (Russian) guy told us that he always gives the condo to friends and family for their vacations when he is not there, so it doesn't stay empty. I wish we had that good of friends there to be able to do the same. Would save us tons of money. Smiley

If South Beach, I would love to live in one of these...spectacular views. Smiley

1491227879911maxresdefault.jpg

--

One friend lived in the Continuum South tower, he left after a year to go to Pinecrest... Another one one still lives in the Portofino but he is a not the marrying kind.

SciFrog:

One friend lived in the Continuum South tower, he left after a year to go to Pinecrest... Another one one still lives in the Portofino but he is a not the marrying kind.

My friends moved from Pinecrest to one of the condos above the place where the ' techno  festival' happens . They liked both places, even if it was a very different experience . Now, after fours years in Miami,  they are back in Suisse 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

That's the downtown area. Never quite understood the attraction there... No nice shopping, no beach, packed in the day but empty at night and on the weekend and buildings very close to each other. A few nice restaurants though but you Uber or drive to them and valet the car. But billions of $$ spent in construction...

The view they had was pretty spectacular , right on the inter coastal .  They had some nice bars around . The French school was also much closer ( If I remember correctly ) . It was an opportunity,  trying something different after the calm of Pinecrest . Anyway, it was never meant to be long term .   Bottom line is that people might look for different kind of experiences in living in Miami . 

Personally , I would never live there . Go for a couple of month, yes, but then I need something more ' diversified ' . 

--

Gnil:

The view they had was pretty spectacular , right on the inter coastal .  They had some nice bars around . The French school was also much closer ( If I remember correctly ) . It was an opportunity,  trying something different after the calm of Pinecrest . Anyway, it was never meant to be long term .   Bottom line is that people might look for different kind of experiences in living in Miami . 

Personally , I would never live there . Go for a couple of month, yes, but then I need something more ' diversified ' . 

--

Like rural Switzerland? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Gnil:

--

One day you will maybe see the light  .... but probably not Smiley  You have yo do your experiences, Just like with carsSmiley 

--

Gnil:
    RC:
    Gnil:

--

One day you will maybe see the light  .... but probably not Smiley  You have yo do your experiences, Just like with carsSmiley 

--

I heard that from my catholic neighborhood as well... Smiley Smiley

Relax, I understand why you guys like this kind of life but it isn't for me. I like real diversity in a more relaxed but at the same time "vivacious" environment. To each his own. Smiley Smiley

--

I am relaxed   , don't worry.  And I'll pray for you cool

Different , yes . But diversity is less. 

I ll pray some more for you 

wink

--

RC:
    DaveGordon:

When we visited it, we were told that there are three major lifts taking care of the car transport and the waiting time with a car would never be more than five to ten minutes tops. Apparently they would even have a special valet service for that, so you don't even have to do it yourself. Getting out of the building with a car has priority over getting in.

Also, according to the sales agent, over 20(!) billionaires bought condos there, which surprised her as well. 

Sunny Isles Beach is really a pretty "quiet" place for a Florida beach and not even close to the craziness on South Beach. 

Living-room-at-Porsche-Design-Tower-in-Miami_dezeen_5.jpg

I was staying in this area for 2 years of my younger life. On top of my German University degree I made an International MBA at the FIU (Florida International University). I always like this area much better than SoBe. Even 20 years back it was much more relaxed. 

Great place to be - also, close to Lauderdale and Palm Beach (the coastal road is just beautiful). 

Florida is an underrated gem in my opinion but lately, I get the feeling that many "woke up" and discovered it. Maybe a little bit too many, especially from South America and former Sowjet Union?! yes

South Beach is nice but often crowded and sometimes with locals you wouldn't want to meet at night in a dark alley, as racist this may sound. SmileySunny Isles Beach is indeed less crowded, mostly tourists and/or condo owners there. Even traffic is more acceptable (though still high).

If you have serious money, this is a great place to live if you like the beach... kiss Probably a reason why I don't live there yet. 

--

Gnil:

--

I've lived there, have good memories, for a couple of years its OK but that is it, and not the place were you would want your kids to grow up, the life values, the peers that will influence them, etc... nope. As a bachelor or young couple w/o kids then its OK, for a few years tops.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

--

I've lived there, have good memories, for a couple of years its OK but that is it, and not the place were you would want your kids to grow up, the life values, the peers that will influence them, etc... nope. As a bachelor or young couple w/o kids then its OK, for a few years tops.

--

There are excellent schools there and lots of rich people, including intellectuals (many many doctors...probably due to the "typical" Florida demographics). Things have changed a lot over the past 20 years or so around Miami. 

You need serious money though to live a decent life there. Europe is much cheaper. Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

--

--

Exactly. Florida is a '' passing place ''  People are here one day and next day they have disappeared to their next location  . It makes it bubbling , nice as temporary place , but I would not want that on longer terms . 

For beaches there are far better places in the world . I like the climat .  The landscape gets boring pretty quickly . 

--

Never saw the appeal of Florida. I guess foreigners like it. I'd rather just go on vacation when I'm looking for beaches. Way nicer beach/tropical locations in the world than Miami. 

RC:

Florida is an underrated gem in my opinion but lately, I get the feeling that many "woke up" and discovered it. Maybe a little bit too many, especially from South America and former Sowjet Union?! yes

South Beach is nice but often crowded and sometimes with locals you wouldn't want to meet at night in a dark alley, as racist this may sound. SmileySunny Isles Beach is indeed less crowded, mostly tourists and/or condo owners there. Even traffic is more acceptable (though still high).

If you have serious money, this is a great place to live if you like the beach... kiss Probably a reason why I don't live there yet. 

--

If not for the mosquitos and humidity, more people would live in Florida. They abandon that place for a reason. Only saving grace is that it has no income tax and low sales tax.

--

noone1:

Never saw the appeal of Florida. I guess foreigners like it. I'd rather just go on vacation when I'm looking for beaches. Way nicer beach/tropical locations in the world than Miami. 

With the same standard of living, number of restaurants, shopping, level of civilization, healthcare, entertainment and luxury? I doubt it. Dubai maybe. Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

--

If not for the mosquitos and humidity, more people would live in Florida. They abandon that place for a reason. Only saving grace is that it has no income tax and low sales tax.

Believe it or not but I have never been bitten by a mosquito in Florida, NEVER EVER. Same goes to my wife and kids. I only got stung by a weird bee and that pain was excruciating (I have a very high pain level resistance due to a generalized minor paresthesia of the skin (have been to neurologists a couple of times, they say this is "normal"). The location of the sting was hurting for weeks(!) and it was visible for months. Don't have a clue what kind of weird bee that was. No allergic reaction to bees, it was only a very limited local (skin, hand) reaction.

I get bitten by mosquitos in Bavaria though in the summer months (weather in Bavaria can get steamy and since most houses here have no A/C, it isn't pleasant at night in bed), same goes to the kids. Wife not. Nothing. Incredible.

With A/C and a nice place to live, Florida is just perfect for us. We love the heat (the more the better), just not at night when we go to sleep. Smiley

--

Two discussions going... I would not go to Miami in vacation, there are much better beaches and locations to go. But as a place to live, AWAY from South Beach which is what most of you know, it is fantastic for a family (with some money, it is not cheap but cheaper than the North East). We looked for some place to settle all around the world for 10 years and ended up choosing Miami. Almost 10 years later, we have a place ready to go, and even though we havent moved there yet, not only it is still the #1 place on our list but it is actually getting better and better with every visit.

We even considered California but LA is too big and too superficial with smog and horrible traffic, San Diego is too small and the water is freezing, Santa Barbara and such are pretty but much too boring, San Francisco is pretty and fun, but again freezing water and the weather is not very good.

Lets put it another way: name one place in the Western Hemisphere with:
    - good schools
    - good year round weather (i.e. Pool weather)
    - real communities where people actually live year round
    - safe (for individuals and as a country)
    - good restaurants
    - good hospitals
    - good judicial system and rule of law
    - good shopping
    - good entertainment
    - international airport with easy access to most of the world and especially Europe
    - decent art and cultural scene
    - vibrant European communities
    - low taxes
    - good boating
    - good sport car scene
    - not too bad traffic 
    - no pollution
    - good overall sense of service

SciFrog:

Two discussions going... I would not go to Miami in vacation, there are much better beaches and locations to go. But as a place to live, AWAY from South Beach which is what most of you know, it is fantastic for a family (with some money, it is not cheap but cheaper than the North East). We looked for some place to settle all around the world for 10 years and ended up choosing Miami. Almost 10 years later, we have a place ready to go, and even though we havent moved there yet, not only it is still the #1 place on our list but but is actually getting better and better with every visit.

Smiley

We even considered California but LA is too big and too superficial with smog and horrible traffic, San Diego is too small and the water is freezing, Santa Barbara and such are pretty but much too boring, San Francisco is pretty and fun, but again freezing water and the weather is not very good.

Smiley

Lets put it another way: name one place in the Western Hemisphere with:
    - good schools
    - good year round weather (i.e. Pool weather)
    - real communities where people actually live year round
    - safe (for individuals and as a country)
    - good restaurants
    - good hospitals
    - good judicial system and rule of law
    - good shopping
    - good entertainment
    - international airport with easy access to most of the world and especially Europe
    - decent art and cultural scene
    - vibrant European communities
    - low taxes
    - good boating
    - good sport car scene
    - not too bad traffic 
    - no pollution
    - good overall sense of service

Smiley

Smiley

--

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

--

--

Exactly. Florida is a '' passing place ''  People are here one day and next day they have disappeared to their next location  . It makes it bubbling , nice as temporary place , but I would not want that on longer terms . 

For beaches there are far better places in the world . I like the climat .  The landscape gets boring pretty quickly . 

Right, basically for vacation I like Orlando because of the theme parks for family but that is it, and for beaches I'm not going to go for Miami, don't even like those beaches full of buildings next to them, I prefer more natural beaches, less crowded, even just a few miles south in the keys its much better, and climate is hot in florida but its very humid and just gets boring quickly as you say. 

But for actually living? not with a family, not the place I would want my kids to grow up, bad influence and doesn't matter the school or the place, its society, superficial, no good values, materialistic, and prioritizes in life exactly what shouldn't be prioritized, etc.... won't influence a grown up but a kid who is forming its mind, that is a no go. Not to mention the crime rate unless you live somewhat secluded which is not my idea of freedom, the social restlessness, drugs, etc. and its just getting worse and worse.

Did I mention what driving a sportscar is like in Florida?... lets just say I'd be driving a Prius if I were in Florida and taking Prozac just so I don't kill myself Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM