Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Opinions on Standard Black Paint

I have seen many pictures of Basalt Black TT's, but not of the standard non-metallic black paint. I tend to prefer standard black because it doesn't look grayish under some conditions (and when clean, looks really well... black). Would anyone advise against this choice ? The usual reasons given for choosing basalt is that it hides scratches and dirt better, but doesn't the normal black look more spectacular when clean? One more issue would be the durability of the paint. Which has a "thicker", more resistant clear coat if any?

Additionally, for the folks that went to Spain, from first hand experience, which color did you prefer on the TT black or speed yellow?

Re: Opinions on Standard Black Paint

Get the standard black all the way!!! Nothing is better looking than a black car. Basalt will get you part of the way there but to get that sinister appearance it must be straight black.

Downside is black is a royal pain in the azz to keep up. Better invest in a Porter Cable Polisher & Menzerna polishes to keep it looking the day you bought it.

One comment: for some reason, I have noticed that some people (taking as examples posters in brother forums) tend to go with the speed yellow route after having owned a black porsche .

I'm getting black on my 997tt. There's nothing like a clean, "pure" black turbo. Though the basalt black will hides scratches and look cleaner, who cares. If there is any car worth exhibiting express obsessive compulsive disorder over it's a Porsche turbo. The problem with my silver GT Boxster is that I never have to wash or wax it because it always looks clean - very boring. I say "Express your inner OCD - go black"

solid black look much better than basalt...

Quote:
    dhayek said:

Fully agree!

Quote:
    dhayek said:

And, non-metallic black reflects laser speed-gun infrared light 10 dB more poorly than metallic black.

I always recommend gloss, non-metallic black as the ultimate stealth color for eluding laser-gun targeting.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

And, non-metallic black reflects laser speed-gun infrared light 10 dB more poorly than metallic black.

I always recommend gloss, non-metallic black as the ultimate stealth color for eluding laser-gun targeting.

The things you learn on Rennteam never fail to amaze me.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

So far, it's worked for me.

For a few years all I would buy is black. Even though I still have 2 black suv's left over from that era I'm over black. It drove me crazy. My 997 turbo will be Artic. I plan on keeping it a while.

My black 2002 996 turbo.

I hated Artic, the car just doesn't get dirty and for me washing a car is the most rewarding job, the perfect stress relief, even better than driving

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

That means I can speed 10x more often?

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    I hated Artic, the car just doesn't get dirty and for me washing a car is the most rewarding job, the perfect stress relief, even better than driving

Love Artic. Maybe the car doesn't get as dirty looking as black that's true but to me it looks dirty after a few drives even without rain. I know what you're saying about washing. As the guys here know I am the most OCD guy here when it comes to washing and detailing my vehicles, especially my sports cars. I love it.

The only part I'm not enjoying right now is cleaning the 997's wheels. Can't wait for PCCB's on my turbo cab.

So the reigning opinion is that if I do go black, standard black would be the way to go.

Though at the other end of the spectrum, what are the impressions of speed yellow? Is it just too much? And if you have owned one, would you get one again?

Quote:
    Stealth said:
    So the reigning opinion is that if I do go black, standard black would be the way to go.

Though at the other end of the spectrum, what are the impressions of speed yellow? Is it just too much? And if you have owned one, would you get one again?

Yeah,probably. When detailed black is amazing. Although I could definitely see the advantages of the basalt especially if you've already owned a black Porsche and you're tired of the up-keep.

Regarding the yellow. Not my tastes for my own car but looks pretty hot. But the only way I'd do it is with yellow PCCB's. IMO the standard red calipers won't look good on a yellow car where as the yellow PCCB's on a yellow turbo will look pretty cool.

I ordered SY to match my 97 993 Turbo S

I have a 97 993 Turbo S in Speed Yellow so I have ordred it's match in the 997 Turbo but mine is a tiptronic as well (July build). There have been an increasing number of articles showing the new Turbo in Speed Yellow, the latest Excellence as an example. My dealer encouraged me to order it in Yellow and reported that once he saw the car in person at the event in Spain, said I made the right choice on both the color and the tiptronic. I can't say anything bad about Black except it really bothers me to see the accumulated surface scratches that become obvious over time no matter how careful you are. Black cars are not a hobby, they are a job. I vote Speed Yellow and tiptronic:!

Re: I ordered SY to match my 97 993 Turbo S

As the song goes.."Black cars look better in the shade" unless of course you want to work very hard to keep them appearing swirl free. I'm not lazy...but I like arctic silver because it is classy and requires minimal effort to keep it looking that way. Having said that..there is something about a black car. Good luck with your choice.

How about matte black? I once saw pics of a 993 in matte (Pierre, posted by you?) And seen some other cars since in matte black... it looks awesome! I never came close enough to see how it looks in detail, but from a distance of 3 meters and more it looks da bomb! And really stealthy of course
    -Joost-

I believe the upcoming "Privilegio" edition for the gallardo has as an option of choosing matte paint in parts of the car. That does not work for me because: 1. I would have to wait longer for paint to order. 2. I like my shiny paint .

This is my second straight black car. Although I get tired and frustrated at times because it's such a pain in the a$$, when it's clean I always come back to my senses, knowing I made the right choice. IMO, nothing can match it when clean

My dealer said manual is the only way to go

After he drove both cars, he said I absolutely made the right choice. Gee, d'ya think they tell us what we want to hear? lol

Re: My dealer said manual is the only way to go

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    After he drove both cars, he said I absolutely made the right choice. Gee, d'ya think they tell us what we want to hear? lol

That is their job!

Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

That is their job!

That may very well be, but...we still lap the opinions of the partial crowd (like salespeople as an example) with glee.. It makes us feel better about our decisions. How long does it take to get a conatiner across the pond? I want my dreadfully slow manual right now..

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

That is their job!

That may very well be, but...we still lap the opinions of the partial crowd (like salespeople as an example) with glee.. It makes us feel better about our decisions. How long does it take to get a conatiner across the pond? I want my dreadfully slow manual right now..

This is fair game between buyers and sellers.
    How you have to wait to get yours?

There was a matte black 959 at the factory one time when I was there in 1986. (I have no idea how you keep that clean!) I'll BET it reduces your laser return ANOTHER 3dB at least.

Dan

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

You can't go wrong with both, especially if someone gets an early car. I can still get a Turbo S if I find someone bailing me out of my lease contract in two or three years, so I wouldn't worry too much about "right" choices.

Must-have options though: sport chrono package and PCCB. Tip or manual is a matter of personal preference. And whoever orders the car without sport chrono should have his head examined.

RC- why do you reckon PCCB are a must when most reports do not rate them for various reasons, costs, maintenance, only for extreme track use etc. Even Walter R reckons the standard brakes are good enough.
    I went into this in depth before spec'ing my 997 TT tip arriving in September and most guys on the Porsche Club GB forum advised against.

Quote:
    andrew34 said:
    RC- why do you reckon PCCB are a must when most reports do not rate them for various reasons, costs, maintenance, only for extreme track use etc. Even Walter R reckons the standard brakes are good enough.
    I went into this in depth before spec'ing my 997 TT tip arriving in September and most guys on the Porsche Club GB forum advised against.

Anybody who advises against the PCCB may not know how much the PCCB has improved. I know that PCCB has somehow a bad reputation because of the first generation (chunks braking off after heavy track racing, horrible squeaking, etc.) but trust me, DRIVE it (I'm sure you'll find a dealer who has a 997 Carrera S with PCCB available for testing) and compare it to the standard brake. Once you go PCCB, you'll never go back. The best part about PCCB is the brake feel and the possibility to apply a very precice braking force dosage, something you can't do THAT good with the regular brake.
    And what many people don't seem to know either: the GT3/Turbo PCCB brake is actually the Carrera GT brake system, especially the front brake is practically the same brake as on the Carrera GT.

And finally, there is a saying...who brakes last...wins.

Thanks. You may be right but its too late for this one coming. I've ordered a second 997 TT with the Porsche version of the new DSG box when it comes out. My wife has a Touran with DSG, absolutley brilliant. I do a lot of driving in London so Tip is a must and isn't too bad on track days, it lets you concentrate on all the other important things. I reckon I can offload my first one with little depreciation within the first 18 months. If not I'll cancel the order!

I think the pure black has no clear top coat, but I may be wrong. Someone else on one of the boards said: "Black is not a color, it's a hobby"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437148 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261364 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877422 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809649 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM