Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tiff Drives the C6 Z06

Interesting...Toyota first (of course), GM second...hmmm

amazing car...the cheapest horsepower on sale. surely the best buy if somebody is JUST looking for performance at the cheapest price.thumbs up for chevy

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Consumer Reports did a survey about customer satisfaction of all 2005 models. This survey was based upon one question: would you buy another one? Only 3 cars were over the 90% of "yes" answers. 1. Toyota Prius 2. Corvette 3. Lexus (I forget which model). Everything else was below 90%, including Porsche 911 at 81%.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

Consumer Reports did a survey about customer satisfaction of all 2005 models. This survey was based upon one question: would you buy another one? Only 3 cars were over the 90% of "yes" answers. 1. Toyota Prius 2. Corvette 3. Lexus (I forget which model). Everything else was below 90%, including Porsche 911 at 81%.

They should've asked WHY the customer wouldn't buy another car. Many people buy Porsches because they represent a status symbol. Of course some guy who just bought a GT3 to cruise in on Rodeo drive will turn it back in, disgusted that it's loud, uncomfortable and has no rear speakers and say he'd never buy the car again. It mainly depends on what the car is bought for. The more prestigious the brand, the more scrutiny it suffers, as buyers usually can flip cars quite easily and many feel the cars don't justify the price they commend. But 81% of Porsches? Cars, which start at $70.000 dollars, got an 81% rating. I consider that really good.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    The Carrera GT is built as well as they come (probably the highest quality car in the world).

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Autos/quality_study/

Please, tell me you're kidding. The CGT has absolutely nothing in common with the above-listed vehicles. It's built like a tank.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    The Carrera GT is built as well as they come (probably the highest quality car in the world).

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Autos/quality_study/

Please, tell me you're kidding. The CGT has absolutely nothing in common with the above-listed vehicles. It's built like a tank.

And as far as SPORTS car your probably right, but I doubt it will last 500k miles like a toyota camry could, nor any high powered sports car, but that is not why we buy them

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

They should've asked WHY the customer wouldn't buy another car. Many people buy Porsches because they represent a status symbol. Of course some guy who just bought a GT3 to cruise in on Rodeo drive will turn it back in, disgusted that it's loud, uncomfortable and has no rear speakers and say he'd never buy the car again. It mainly depends on what the car is bought for. The more prestigious the brand, the more scrutiny it suffers, as buyers usually can flip cars quite easily and many feel the cars don't justify the price they commend. But 81% of Porsches? Cars, which start at $70.000 dollars, got an 81% rating. I consider that really good.

I think you are off base here. If one is really happy with the car they are driving, when asked if he/she would buy another, they will say "yes". The questions is just an indication of how much one likes the car. I can't imagine someone liking the car but thinking to themselves that they bought it as a status symbol or paid so much that they won't buy another. Here in So Cal I probably know 30 F-car owners, and most are on their 2nd or 3rd. This has nothing to do with price. And what percentage of GT3 buyers are not happy with the car because it is too noisy when cruising Rodeo Dr. Come on now.

For a clue about the next model Corvette, the C7, go google
    the Monteverdi Hai 450SS. Its roughly close to Lutz's vision
    for the next model Corvette. Layout is similar.

Design teams got the green light last summer for design studies based around the direct injection 427 cu DOHC V8
    that will be used in the upengined C6 Z06 SS.

With any luck Corvette will become ZF's single largest
    sports car customer for transaxles.

Think '08.

95jersey has some good points

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote "European manufacturers build cars for the absolute worst cases.American manufacturers take short cuts.I don't think "GM wondered if anybody can drive a RWD 500hp car on a wet road...European manufacturers do care about that but they also wonder if the temperature remained constantly low in the cabine for 5 hours under the sun and if the drivers @ss(or any other body part) hurts after a 500km trip"

So if you got into a 360 Challenge Stradale and your @ss hurt after 500km, you would be disapointed?!?! I think European manufacturers are more pompous than anything. If American manufacturers take short cuts that give me 505HP motor in a race wining chassis for $65k...let me be the first to throw out the heated/cooling seats! A wet road? Wouldn't a Corvette, Ferrari or 911TT usually be a second car? Use the AWD SUV for the bad weather.

Is this a sports car forum or is this a hair saloon? Your talking about a 500hp supercar for $65, and your worried about cabin temps?

None of this is meant to be taken personally, this is just a good healthy debate.

"A wet road? Wouldn't a Corvette, Ferrari or 911TT usually be a second car? Use the AWD SUV for the bad weather."

The F430,997T,Gallardo,M5,...can be used anytime by anyone.This is possible for all of those cars because it has electronic devices which helps the (unexperienced)driver alot.The Turbo and Gallardo have AWD,the F430 has the Manettino(?spelling) which has a "snow" mode,the M5 can reduce it's power to 400hp.

The M5 and F430 also have the sequential gear box which gives the pssibility to unexperienced drivers to have fun on the track.Some people that go on the track for the first don't have fun because they don't know how to heel-and-toe(which isn't a super-dupa-mega-ultra racing driver technique).If you don't use the heel-and-toe technique in a RWD car and downshift the normal way,it can be a problem for the clutch and if you do downshift too fast the rear wheels can lock and than oversteer,too much countersteer,..out.

You probably noticed that the RWD cars I mentioned above have this type of gear box.But it isn't only for the race track because it also works as a normal automatic gear box.

The Z06 has some electronic devices too but I've read in many reviews that the rear end was a bit unstable if you're not careful enough with the throttle.That probably isn't a big problem on the track but on a public road this might be dangerous.

In our everyday life more and more things are becoming more and more versatile.Your cell phone isn't just for phoning,your fridge also works as a ice cube distributor,your computer isn't just for the work,...cars aren't the exception.If you want to drive fast but you took the SUV instead of the Corvette,you might feel frustrated.If you have an M5,you just need to push a button(well,many buttons).
    If you need a SUV for rainy or snowy conditions,the financial advantge of the Corvette doesn't exist anymore.Think of insurances and taxes...and you need a bigger garage.

"Your talking about a 500hp supercar for $65, and your worried about cabin temps?"
    Exaclty!
    500hp is a lot for me.Many scientific researches have proven that the temperature in the cabin has a big influence on the concertration of the driver.I think I would need a lot of attention with 500hp even on a dry road.Peugeot equipped their WRC with an AC.The drivers said it was very useful.
    The quality of the heater is also important.I once sat in a car that had an AC.The cabin was cold but I still was sweating.That's uncomfortable(I'm not saying it's the case in a corvette).If you do a big trip and you feel uncomfortable in the car you're are not going to fully concertrate on driving and have fun driving around.

The Audi TT and the Mercedes A-class are perfect examples for what happens if engineers don't of any type of situation on the road.No-one will do heavy slaloms with the A-class and who would have thought the Audi oversteers at 200km/h?

I've read an article about the development of the Aston Martin V8.The engineers were testing the stability program by making zig-zags on snowy raods...at 180km/h.

the car does come with AC, beleive it or not, we do have that technology in the US.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I did a Kelly Blue Book on a 2003 911TT and it came up $87,000 (retail) That is a depreciation of $63,000 in 3 years given the car was $150 new. A Z06 will always be in demand becuase of the performance value and will probably still be worth $45k minimum after 3 years.

Most 911TT were $125K out of the door, $43K depreciation in the first 3 years of the car, 35% of the original price, is AWSOME. I doubt the Z06 will keep their value as well, because the cheap interior will even be cheaper after 3 years, there will be plenty of cars in the channel and a more powerful version will be out...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I did a Kelly Blue Book on a 2003 911TT and it came up $87,000 (retail) That is a depreciation of $63,000 in 3 years given the car was $150 new. A Z06 will always be in demand becuase of the performance value and will probably still be worth $45k minimum after 3 years.

Most 911TT were $125K out of the door, $43K depreciation in the first 3 years of the car, 35% of the original price, is AWSOME. I doubt the Z06 will keep their value as well, because the cheap interior will even be cheaper after 3 years, there will be plenty of cars in the channel and a more powerful version will be out...

I disagree...a 500HP car with this kind of performance will be holding it's value for a while. Especially given the fact that they were charging $15,000 premiums over list new. Matter of fact, you can't find one used under MSRP. Any way you put it...$43k is a lot of money to lose in 3 years.

Not for a $125K car... 35% over 3 years is very low. I feel sorry for the people who paid $15K over sticker for the Z06, cause they might loose the same $43K over 3 years.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Not for a $125K car... 35% over 3 years is very low. I feel sorry for the people who paid $15K over sticker for the Z06, cause they might loose the same $43K over 3 years.

Yup.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    And as far as SPORTS car your probably right, but I doubt it will last 500k miles like a toyota camry could, nor any high powered sports car, but that is not why we buy them

If the Camry be driven like CGT and CGT be driven like Camry , the mileages to deadth will be similar.

The M5, 997TT and F430 have the same flaw, ridiculously complex engine systems for their output. How much harder could they could make it for themselves to generate a measley 500hp I do not know!

Who would really want to own one 2 years and 30,000 miles later? Why buy it if you cant drive it? Oops! You dont /cant drive that much? Sorry then, some do. Maybe thats not a fair question then.

Update for you heat challenged sorts. Z06's now come with the heat insulation for the transmission tunnel. A Shock I know for you, so you will have to remove that from the list of crimes you wish to charge it with!

In its home market the Z06 is half the price of a 997TT
    and more than two thirds less money than the price of a F430 or Gallardo. For driving 400 miles one way from Phoenix to LA 2 or 3 times a month, its perfect. You would never want to rack up those miles on a Ferrari or Lambo or even a TT.

Case closed.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The M5, 997TT and F430 have the same flaw, ridiculously complex engine systems for their output. How much harder could they could make it for themselves to generate a measley 500hp I do not know!

Who would really want to own one 2 years and 30,000 miles later? Why buy it if you cant drive it? Oops! You dont /cant drive that much? Sorry then, some do. Maybe thats not a fair question then.

Update for you heat challenged sorts. Z06's now come with the heat insulation for the transmission tunnel. A Shock I know for you, so you will have to remove that from the list of crimes you wish to charge it with!

and more than two thirds less money than the price of a F430 or Gallardo. For driving 400 miles one way from Phoenix to LA 2 or 3 times a month, its perfect. You would never want to rack up those miles on a Ferrari or Lambo or even a TT.

Case closed.

I'd rack on many miles on a TT, in fact I will, when I get one. The Ferrari, on the other hand... I'd be too afraid of getting stuck in the desert .

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Case closed.

The 996TT engine is bullet proof, even for high miles.
    The 99xTT are daily drivers...

Sure it will cost you more money, the Porsche are more expensive, but they are also much better overall packages.

Once again, if you only care for performance/price ratio, you can't beat the Z06 in the US. But comparing to Porsche or Ferrari on the whole package? You know better.

The Z06 might be a great car FOR YOU, maybe you don't care about a confortable/safe/winter driving/great design/great interior sports car, because for the price of the Z06, there aren't any. The 997TT is a bargain for what it provides. The Z06 is a bargain too, but the majority of the people are not ready to accept the compromises that come with owning the Z06. You can? Good for you, but don't even try to convince people that the Z06 is the best thing around, cause it isn't. You will just sound like some pissed off guy who can't afford the TT.

Really now for the price of a 997TT you can buy both a new Z06 and a year old 997. Or For the price of a new Gallardo you can also add a new Cayenne Turbo to that Z06 and 1 year old 997.

LOL. Im not worried about who buys what.

Buy what you want!

But some of these cars dont seem too practical for
    driving outside of urban areas much. Nice show cars!

For the price of a Z06 you can buy a Jeep wrangler and a 20' boat...

For the price of a Z06 you can buy a used toyota and put $60K in a savings account for your kids.

Value of money is different for everyone, you can't play that argument, you will always loose.

Yes but we are talking sports cars here. Not jeeps or boats.

Let me see I can get ONE 997TT or a new Z06 AND a 1 yo 997.

I think a 997 makes a fantastic winter beater car
    So much for... oooooh cant drive in the snow. LOL

You are the best example of why having the 997TT is much better for its price:

two cars in one!

Ususally people would even pay more for that!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The M5, 997TT and F430 have the same flaw, ridiculously complex engine systems for their output.

Jim,

What is your definition of "ridiculously complex engine system?"

In my book, this means efficient smart design.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The M5, 997TT and F430 have the same flaw, ridiculously complex engine systems for their output.

Jim,

The poster boy engine for the most hideously complex motor
    is the V10 in the BMW M5.

Compare its torque and hp output curves to, and do I hate to say this, to that stroker small block Chevy V8 in the Z06. Look at the numbers.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    You are the best example of why having the 997TT is much better for its price:

two cars in one!

Ususally people would even pay more for that!

So you want to pay for one car twice?

Cars are like tools. No one car does it all.

I just noticed that I am now a Rennteam Master. Will that get me into another discount level at the BMW-Alpina parts department or some diplomatic plates from the Republic of Cinnabar?

Talk to your nearest Chevy dealer, they have a special roof for you... One that stays on!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim,

The poster boy engine for the most hideously complex motor
    is the V10 in the BMW M5.

Compare its torque and hp output curves to, and do I hate to say this, to that stroker small block Chevy V8 in the Z06. Look at the numbers.

If the Chevy V8 is only 5.0L, don't know what the power output curves will be even adding 2 extra cylinders to be equal.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803992 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448727 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266334 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90162 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886070 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834324 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM