Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tubi or not Tubi

I have seen a couple of posts around here regarding exhausts. I have decided to go with the Tubi. Does anyone know anything about the fabspeed? The Tubi does not remove any of the cats but supposedly the fabspeed removes the first set. Will that cause any check engine light issues?

Re: Tubi or not Tubi

I had a chance last week to listen to a Cayman S with a Tubi exhaust [the same one used for the 987(S)] I was at the track and that thing sounded just awesome; very Ferrari-ish If I do get an exhaust for my car that would be the one I get. I had a chance to have a lap in that car and it also sounded really good from inside the cockpit. I spoke to the sales manager of a Porsche tuning shop who supply both Tubi and Fabspeed (both similar in price) He compared them this way; Tubi closer to F1 cars vs. Fabspeed closer to Nascar. The Fabspeed is louder apparently but I don't like the way it sticks out from the bottom of the bumper ; that disqualifies it for me right away.
    For me the question is it worth the price or should I put that towards my next car??
    By the way, another option is to have your existing exhaust reworked to make it sound more aggressive - my dealer has done that. I listened to a worked 996 exhaust and it sounded nice.

Check out the sound of the Cayman S with Tubi at the bottom of this page; www.pfafftuning.com

After hearing Moogle's GT3 this past weekend, an exhaust upgrade is necessary - if you haven't heard that guy's car, geez.....ask him for a sound clip!

I have been talking with the Fabspeed guy as well - for the money it seems like a bargain but I heard a clip of the Tubi and IMO it sounds better...waiting for the guy from Champion Motorsport to call me back regarding pricing.

And now if PSE is coming, I'm even more confused. This is what the guy from Fabspeed sent me - Joe -- nice guy, very informative...

The Fabspeed Maxflo system is definitely sportier and louder than stock. Often our competitors say negative things under alias and other email accounts. The Maxflo systems adds power and sportscar sound and we beat everyone to the market. The systems complies 100% with warranty and emissions and is an easy bolt on and we can install while you wait if you would like. Installation is supre easy and is removal if and when you turn the car back into the dealer. Stage 3 adds 27HP to your car and still complies 100% with warranty and emissions laws. Stage 3 is headers with sportscast and the rear catbcak exhaust, a BMC F1 airfilter and a airbox modification. Here is the complete Fabspeed 987 performance menu. Please review and let us know what you might like.

Have a great day

Joe Fabiani

Fabspeed Motorsport USA
    283 North Main Street
    Ambler, PA 19002-5065

215-646-4945
    215-646-9828fax
    www.fabspeed.com

Email- Info@fabspeed.com

Performance for The Next Millenium
    Ultimate quality T304 Stainless Steel exhaust systems, Carbon fiber airboxes and DME engine management chips for all cars. Worlds Most Powerful 996TT exhaust systems independently PCA club DYNO tested.

Fabspeed offers the worlds finest T 304 Stainless Steel

exhaust systems for these wonderful cars. Fabspeed offers the very best

throaty sportscar sound with no nasty resonance or vibration as compared to

all competitors systems. Fabspeed uses 14 gauge T304SS which is much thicker

and stronger and allows a more free flow internal design than competitors

almost paper thin gauge stainless systems that crack, break and have

horrible resonance.

CAVEAT EMPTOR>

B&B fabrication Billy Boat exhaust mentions " PRT" --purge resonance technology-and describes about B&B having had an engineering breakthrough with no more cockpit resonance/vibration and a nice exhaust tone---- this is 100% fallacy and marketing.

GHL Motorsports also copies B&B and offers the same claims "no resonance ...... clean exhaust rumble". More absolute BS too

Make sure you get a money back satisfaction guarantee before you buy from anyone. These 2 manufacturers use super thin gauge /thin walled stainless steel that makes the mufflers loud and they make a ton of noise.

Fabspeed Motorsports BENEFITS:

Fabspeed exhausts have the finest detailed polishing in

the world and come complete ready to install by simply bolting on your car quick and easy with simple handtools.

Features:

1) Emissions legal in all 50 states including California.

2) Complies 100% with Porsche factory new car warranty.

3) Simple bolt-on direct replacement exhaust system. With simple tools and 2.5 hours one can install the Fabspeed
    sport exhaust system on the Boxster

4) Best fit on the market-- CNC computer numeric controlled mandrel bent tubing, CAD designed internal and external features.

5) Lifetime warranty-- Fabspeed has never failed! A warranty you will never need like B&B Triflo, Mille Miglia, Borla and others. Other manufacturers have massive warranty claims that leave you stranded or you car down.

6) Power performance increase. Fabspeed always adds power and never loses power under ANY & ALL circumstances. Competitors systems often lose significant power.

7) Fabspeed systems are street, dyno, and track tested EXTENSIVELY VERSUS certain competitors systems that are only exhaust systems made to fit the car and never tested....merely mass produced then just mass marketed.

8) Fabspeed Boxster exhaust systems are imported from Germany and Switzerland and are manufactured in accordance with ISO 9002 QAC registration standards of quality assurance.

10) Fabspeed integrated performance packages. Fabspeed offers the 986/987 owner packages that add significant gains as they are engineered performance combinations.

-- 987 Exhaust Specific --

NEW 2005 BOXSTER AND BOXSTER 987 MAXFLO PERFORMANCE EXHAUST.

$1695 COMPLETE SYSTEM

1) SAVES 20 LBS from rear of car.

2) Easy simple bolt on. Complete system with Wurth hardware nothing else to buy.

3) Better throttles response and much better sports cars sound.

4) More power guaranteed as we have eliminated the 2nd set of UNNECESSARY catalytic converters. NO Check Engine light and will pass emissions.

5) OPTIONAL Fabspeed dual outlet tip $395. Fabspeed tip FITS all 2005 Boxster stock Porsche OEM mufflers and also fits the Fabspeed system. The Fabspeed tip simply slides onto any factory 987 rear muffler a 5 minute installation.

6) BUY BOTH part in a package and TAKE ($100 off) a package.

Above Fabspeed maxflo system shown with Fabspeed's optional Boxster 987 "S" style tip. The oval factory 987 tip would fit on our Maxflo muffler.

Remember all 2005+ Boxster 987 cars have 4 catalytic converters. The MAIN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS are located on the HEADERS this 1st set is all you need to pass emissions and not have a check engine light (no CEL). The 2nd set of cats is redundant and welded/integrated into the rear mufler and is a source of exhaust restriction and dead weight. In order to make your 2005+ Boxster to have more power and better more aggressive sound you HAVE to change out the entire rear muffler /cat system.

2005+ Boxster 987 BMC F1 cylindrical airfilter cartridge system list price $190 and your Fabspeed price $130.00 ONLY FOR 2005cars

Powerflow COLD AIR intake systems for the BOXSTER. This system adds +10HP and replaces

the stock airbox and works very well. $395 for the complete kit.

8-10HP $395 for all Boxster cars. Makes car sound more aggressive and includes heat shielding so not hot air gets ingested. Makes a very solid performance and sound improvement that you will notice right away and each and every day!

Sorry for the long post -- what do you all think?

AJ,

The Fabspeed does sound nice (at least according to the Fabspeed video clip) but I cannot get over the fact that it extends from below the back bumper and is very noticeable - doesn't look right.

Aj,

can he show us dyno results of the +27hp. if its true then im definately in. btw im not interested in cayman dyno. has to be exact same engine.

Quote:
    Louis said:
    AJ,

The Fabspeed does sound nice (at least according to the Fabspeed video clip) but I cannot get over the fact that it extends from below the back bumper and is very noticeable - doesn't look right.

I decided that I am going with the Tubi -- I just don't know when I'm going to schedule the installation. It sounds amazing, very much so like a Ferrari. I also have a video clip of it installed on a Cayman S. My local dealer (Champion Motorsport-certified, they are the importer) quoted me $2,250 inclusive of labor. It can be done in one day.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    Aj,

can he show us dyno results of the +27hp. if its true then im definately in. btw im not interested in cayman dyno. has to be exact same engine.

I'm not going with the Fabspeed anymore. The Tubi does not increase performance.

AJ,

I sent you a PM.

Guys/gals-

I have an 8MB video of the Tubi on a Cayman, at start up and drive off. PM me if you want to hear it, I'll email it to you.

Do I do it?

I can get the Tubi exhaust $1,825 shipped.

Just a matter of putting down the card!!

I was at the track and saw and heard the Tubi @ Shannonville, Ontario, it sounded it great but I personally would stick with the stock exhaust.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Rennteam. Were you at Shannonville May 17/06? If so , we were at the same event. Which car were you in? What did you think of the Tubi exhaust on that red Cayman S? What didn't you like about it as you said you'd stick with stock. It was a fun event.

Just had Champion Motorsport in Pompano Beach install the Tubi, PSE Cayman round exhaust tips (MAN DO THEY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FACTORY TIPS!), H&R Springs for PASM, and 19" Champion Motorsport RG5 Forged Alloys (weigh 10 lbs less per wheel than stock). Tire size is 235 up front, 275 in back. I left the stock Porsche colored wheel caps for a semi-stock look. This is a totally different car now and I do not regret one bit spending the money. First of all, the Tubi has such a nice growl at high rpms (kind of like a 360 modena) and low end throaty sound that the stock exhaust was missing by far. The throttle response is far better and I can noticeably feel better power in the upper rev range. As far as handling, the springs lower the car slightly and give it a much better center of gravity. There is no rubbing and the ride is just slightly firmer. The folks at Champion are top notch professionals. They do superb work and are a pleasure to deal with. Check them out:

www.championmotors.com

Quote:
    chrisapone said:
    Just had Champion Motorsport in Pompano Beach install the Tubi, PSE Cayman round exhaust tips (MAN DO THEY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FACTORY TIPS!), H&R Springs for PASM, and 19" Champion Motorsport RG5 Forged Alloys (weigh 10 lbs less per wheel than stock). Tire size is 235 up front, 275 in back. I left the stock Porsche colored wheel caps for a semi-stock look. This is a totally different car now and I do not regret one bit spending the money. First of all, the Tubi has such a nice growl at high rpms (kind of like a 360 modena) and low end throaty sound that the stock exhaust was missing by far. The throttle response is far better and I can noticeably feel better power in the upper rev range. As far as handling, the springs lower the car slightly and give it a much better center of gravity. There is no rubbing and the ride is just slightly firmer. The folks at Champion are top notch professionals. They do superb work and are a pleasure to deal with. Check them out:

www.championmotors.com

Thanks for the report Was the Tui exhaust theonly thing you changed for the improved sound? So you noticed a big improvement in sound at both low and high rpms?

The Tubi is all I tweaked on the engine side. The exhaust is not for everyone. At low rpm's there is a boominess in the cabin, but at rpms over 2.5-3k there is no issue at all. In the higher rev range, the car truly shrieks. I blew by a guy in an S2000 yesterday and I could swear the look on his face was pure bewilderment when I saw him at the next stoplight. He had no idea a Boxster could make such nice sounds. If you are looker for a more aggressive sound I would recommend it to anyone.

Hi chrisapone, did you install the Tubi manifold as well?

any pics, please

Quote:
    ARMD009 said:
    any pics, please

I think the Tubi just uses the stock tips so you won't be able to tell any difference unless you put the car on a hoist or change the tips - stealthy

Quote:
    chrisapone said:
    The Tubi is all I tweaked on the engine side. The exhaust is not for everyone. At low rpm's there is a boominess in the cabin, but at rpms over 2.5-3k there is no issue at all. In the higher rev range, the car truly shrieks. I blew by a guy in an S2000 yesterday and I could swear the look on his face was pure bewilderment when I saw him at the next stoplight. He had no idea a Boxster could make such nice sounds. If you are looker for a more aggressive sound I would recommend it to anyone.

Chrisa - do you have a video camera? It would be cool if we had some extensive footage...outside of the car, and inside (I dont think theres any footage out there for inside noise)..

mine did not, my tips are huge ovals on my turbo

attached

Another of the tip

VERY NICE !!

Anyone have a video camera?

Gee looks awesome, I want it + Tubi!

Quote:
    chrisapone said:

www.championmotors.com

Where can I get the Cayman PSE exhaust tips independant of the entire exhaust system?

Quote:
    05Boxster said:
    Quote:
    chrisapone said:

www.championmotors.com

Where can I get the Cayman PSE exhaust tips independant of the entire exhaust system?

At your local Porsche center

Save your money unless all you want is a different exhaust note. Orbit racing here in South Florida says that the expensive exhaust systems currently available do not increase hp. They recommend a cold air kit, EVO will have one out toward the end of the month. For what it is worth.

looks great ! enjoy

Cargraphics out of Germany probably offers the best choice.
    It's a complete system with headers. Not sure if it would void the warrenty and it's expensive.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754008 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431100 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258756 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255658 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79665 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868628 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802387 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM