Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

carrera GT turbo

I believe it was CF that said that there is def. no plan for a twin turbo Carrera GT, but as the car is already made, wouldnt it make sense for porsche to do this, as it would put them on top, even against such beasts as that Chrysler 412, and the Corvette blue devil, etc, future Ford GT, etc... If not, what aftermarket makers will do it?:)

Re: carrera GT turbo

A car like the CGT relies on instant throttle response to carve up the corners at the limit. Turbocharging would destroy that character, IMHO

Quote:
    as it would put them on top, even against such beasts as that Chrysler 412, and the Corvette blue devil, etc, future Ford GT, etc... If not, what aftermarket makers will do it?:)

The Carrera GT is already at the top.
    Alone, I might add!!!!!

Quote:
    CF said:

Alone, I might add!!!!!

While the CGT already has 600+ HP and lightweight construction, will it stay on the top for long? I mean cars costing a fraction of its cost such as the Ford GT is already close to it in terms of straight-line performance. Cars are getting more powerful all the time, with rumors of 700HP Paganis and 800HP Cadlillacs. Will the CGT remain competitive for years to come?

Quote:
    CF said:
    Quote:
    as it would put them on top, even against such beasts as that Chrysler 412, and the Corvette blue devil, etc, future Ford GT, etc... If not, what aftermarket makers will do it?:)

Alone, I might add!!!!!

Haha You made me lough, thanks. Who the hell died and made you the authority to make such statmats, It my be your HO but its is far from the trouth, it is close to the top but, remember cgt was never tested against any of its competitors, and quit qouting Walter Rohl it is pathetic- this goes for all porche fans inclouding me.

I don't think people buy CGT's for their straight-line performance.

Quote:
    It my be your HO but its is far from the trouth

What do you mean by that statement Arakis?

BTW.The Carrera GT and all the other supercars has been tested by Sport Auto Magazine with the exception of the Enzo of course.
    I am not surprised that Ferrari didn't let the Magazine test the Enzo or the F50 for that matter.

CF,
    If I read that right.....I think Arkais is trying to say that is the guys views on the topic .. but he (Arkais) is implying
    he (the other guy) doesn't know what he is talking about.

I would think HO mean "Humble Opinion"

Eric

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

very well put!
    If people are shoping for straight-line performace they should get a dragster.

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote:
    arakis said:
    - this goes for all porche fans inclouding me.

Arakis,
    I think I am being discriminated against.
    I think of myself as a Porsche fan, but when you did your survey, you never asked me.

fritz

Quote:
    Thomas said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

very well put!
    If people are shoping for straight-line performace they should get a dragster.

Cheers
    Thomas

While cars like the CGT are optimized for laptimes, I'm sure straight-line performance is a concern. The average buyer will buy the CGT to drive on the autobahn or highway (not on the track), and the next thing, some SLXX AMG with 700HP blows by the CGT, all for $200K less. How would the CGT buyer feel? Of course, HP is all about bragging rights and marketing.

"some SLXX AMG with 700HP blows by the CGT"

gonna take more than 700 hp for any of those porkers to "blow by the CGT" on any performance measure.

Quote:
    baron said:
    While cars like the CGT are optimized for laptimes, I'm sure straight-line performance is a concern. The average buyer will buy the CGT to drive on the autobahn or highway (not on the track), and the next thing, some SLXX AMG with 700HP blows by the CGT, all for $200K less. How would the CGT buyer feel? Of course, HP is all about bragging rights and marketing.

So what I think you are saying is, that the more mature CGT owner will have appreciate his car for its high level of all-round ability, and feel sorry for the one-trick-pony which might occasionally blast past him if a long enough clear straight ever comes along on the Autobahn, especially when the O.T.P. leaves the Autobahn at the first string of curves, regardless of the fact that there is no exit.

Did I understand you right?

fritz

Quote:
    fritz said:

So what I think you are saying is, that the more mature CGT owner will have appreciate his car for its high level of all-round ability, and feel sorry for the one-trick-pony which might occasionally blast past him if a long enough clear straight ever comes along on the Autobahn, especially when the O.T.P. leaves the Autobahn at the first string of curves, regardless of the fact that there is no exit.

Did I understand you right?

fritz

I understand what you mean. Not trying to bash on the CGT at all, in fact quite the contrary. My father placed an order for the CGT, and before he departs for a large sum of cash, just want to make sure that this car is really worth it's price and is something that will remain very special and appreciated for years to come.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    gonna take more than 700 hp for any of those porkers to "blow by the CGT" on any performance measure.

Quote:
    fritz said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I you are worried of miminal straight acceleration differences or cost vs acceleration ratio, depreciation/investment, etc then the CGT is not worth the price for you. I read a great post from Mike in another forum that summed it up very nicely why such a car can be very worth the pricetag for some. Maybe he can copy it and paste it here since I won't take the liberty of doing so.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    I couldn't have said it better myself

Only because you already expended so much energy today on teaching Bilal physics!

Sorry Bilal, typing fingers out of control again.

fritz

Quote:
    baron said:

I'm not sure this is true. A CL 65 AMG or a S 65 AMG with 612 HP are slower from 0-125 mph than the Porsche GT2. And the CGT is almost 3 seconds faster than the GT2 from 0-125 mph.
    Since the Nardo test of the SL55 prototype, I NEVER gonna trust Mercedes testcars anymore. I owned a E55 and it was fast, I drove two SL55 and we even tested a SL55 vs. a 996 Turbo and NONE of these cars was even close to the performance achieved in Nardo. That said, I really don't want to talk about Mercedes cars and power claims.

BTW: today we had almost 16*C and sun in Bavaria and I took my wife's SLK 32 AMG for a ride with an open top.
    I encountered a Porsche 911 C4S and while I was almost one car length ahead up to 220 kph, after we exited the Autobahn, this guy just "killed" me. I never hated my wife's SLK so much as I did today...traction is horrible and that stupid ESP lamp came on all the time and even cut off power.
    Mercedes? Well...again...when I'm 60.

In what way the CGT is the best

I agree with Carlito and may I add that people don't buy Porsches in general only based on their straight line performance.
    It's a blend of power, usability, reliability, image, etc etc etc.
    I still think the CGT is the best all round supercar today by far.
    And that is my opinion only if course, considering I haven't driven any of those cars.
    Zonda is OTT in terms of styling and very limited when it comes to servicing.
    SLR is fab but too much AMG and not enough McLaren.
    Enzo is potentially best track performer and arguably the most desirable due to badge and pedigree but I'd be concerned about reliability and road use. Too track focused.
    Koeniggsegg, same as Zonda but worse. Ermm, do you bring the car back to Sweden to service it?!!!
    Porsche admits it themselves, they made it very clear, the CGT had to be before all a Porsche i.e. usable everyday, and I believe it is.
    The only thing I'm a bit disappointed about is that Porsche (sincerely I must say) admitted that they did not put an F1 gearbox, not because it wasn't as good as manual, but because they didn't have enough development time.
    So on one hand, I appreciate their honesty but on the other hand, they're basically saying that F1 gearbox is the future.
    I guess they just want to get it perfectly right and good is just not good enough, as a Porsche, it would have had to be the best!
    No substitute

Re: In what way the CGT is the best

Porsches goal is not to use an F1 gearbox a lá Ferrari but to develop the DCG Double Clutch Gearbox.
    They simply didn't have enough time to develop this system for the CGT.
    The gearbox in the CGT has many technical innovations that are groundbreaking and it is without a doubt the best manual gearbox currently in production.

From what I have experienced myself at the CGT event in Leipzig and what all the magazines have written about the car i feel quite confident in my opinion.
    I do have some experience in Supercars since I have driven the SLR,F40 and several other top models from Ferrari and Porsche, as well as other brands.
    I have been invited to drive the Koenigsegg but I really don't see any point to it since I won't buy the car anyway.
    No amount of enthusiasm from Pagani or Koenigsegg could convince me that they could do better than Porsche with all their experience and knowledge in the field of Motorsports and roadcars.
    I already know the result of the SLR since I drove it and became highly dissapointed.
    Ferraris are beautiful cars but the build quality of their cars are not made to last and the performance is most often not what promised from the beginning.
    That said,if you want to use your supercar everyday and expect technical excellence which has been thoroughly thought through there is only one car manufacturer left.
    All their knowledge and passion has been put into the CGT, they have stated that this is the very best they can do.
    And that is comfort enough for me when I turn the key in the Carrera GT.

For once we agree. The CGT considering all factors is probably the best supercar for the money. However, your opinions regarding the car are highly inflated.

Rather than listing the several problems writers have pointed out regarding the CGT, suffice it is to say if you track it don't crash it (it will take ages to repair and cost an ungodly sum assuming it can be repaired) and if you don't track it, you pissed a lot of money down the drain.

The sum total of the car is just that.

Quote:
    this goes for all porche fans inclouding me.

Arakis, it worries me a little that you can't spell Porsche.

You're in the wrong room, my friend. You don't know what you're talking about or who you're talking to.

I am a fan of Porsche and ferrari, but I have truble withe forgeting leters and spelling and I know haw to spell PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE
    PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHE PORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEPORSCHEv

Well, he convinced me!

I think that the porsche team may have wanted a sequential, but personally I couldnt be happier its a conventional stick, as it is as much a showcase of technology as a historically significant vehicle, to me a modern but expensive 550 spyder. Still, I must say that so far, I have not been overly impressed with the pictures, still finding the murcielago I saw in real life more appealing, but maybe it is better in real life? hope so, have always loved porsches, my fav. has been the 993 turbo, but i like this one a LOT. I just want it to be undisputed;) but it pulls 1.3 g'S!!!! Only real surprise was a test showing 0-60 in 3.9? are they serious? and 100 in 7.1? fast, but the Mac does it in 6.3ish...

I think we're ALL wondering...

what he is trying to say.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762975 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435641 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257672 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80976 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872548 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807977 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM