Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Manual faster on NBR

Quote:
    trip said:
    This will fire you up, 997 turbo ring time of 7:42 with cup tires manual and lsd. Thats faster than the vette! Even though thats true, I posted thid just to mess with with yah.

Well, if that's true and if the Vette's time is about the same with run-flat street tires (if true), think what the Vette's time would be with Cup tires...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    This will fire you up, 997 turbo ring time of 7:42 with cup tires manual and lsd. Thats faster than the vette! Even though thats true, I posted thid just to mess with with yah.

Well, if that's true and if the Vette's time is about the same with run-flat street tires (if true), think what the Vette's time would be with Cup tires...

From what I hear the Vette's tyres aren't ordinary run-flats and we also don't know whether the car actually HAD run-flats. There was no video of any kind posted, just a hyped-up article.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

From what I hear the Vette's tyres aren't ordinary run-flats and we also don't know whether the car actually HAD run-flats. There was no video of any kind posted, just a hyped-up article.

As far as I know, the Goodyear Supercar EMT runflats are the only tires currently made in the Z06's sizes, so I don't know what else they could've used (unless they used non-standard wheels also).

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

Crash...you are correct on both points. Actually, the Z driven at the ring by Jan Magnuson did not have ordinary run flats... actually they had the new Goodyear Super Duper runflats, equipped ONLY for the Z with transwarp drives in each of the tires to increase speed. Wait a minute....maybe the car did not actually have runflats. Maybe Jan Magnuson just made that up.....maybe this Z had a RR fanjet engine under the hood...I mean, why not...actually, you have not seen an actual video! Just a hyped-up article! Actually.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    "The car is a standard 911 Turbo, fitted with the sports option pack that adds 60Nm more to the mid-range torque, for 680Nm in total.

0-100km/h: 3.9 seconds (manual), 3.7 seconds (auto).
    0-200km/h: 12.8 seconds (manual), 12.2 seconds (auto).
    Nurburgring lap time: 7 minutes, 49 seconds (manual), 7 minutes, 52 seconds (auto).
    Top speed: 310km/h. "

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=11918

To compare lap times of Tip and manual all variables (except transmission) must be the same. Porsche and Walter know that we know this. Who thinks Porsche and Walter would misrepresent the faster NBR manual times?

AUM

I think all these numbers are just guessed from the writer, except for the 3 seconds difference between tip and manual, and probably without the sports chrono. If real (ie with SC) these numbers are a bit dissapointing.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Crash...you are correct on both points. Actually, the Z driven at the ring by Jan Magnuson did not have ordinary run flats... actually they had the new Goodyear Super Duper runflats, equipped ONLY for the Z with transwarp drives in each of the tires to increase speed. Wait a minute....maybe the car did not actually have runflats. Maybe Jan Magnuson just made that up.....maybe this Z had a RR fanjet engine under the hood...I mean, why not...actually, you have not seen an actual video! Just a hyped-up article! Actually.

Welcome back Ronnie...we all knew you could only read other posts for so long...before the entertainment would start again..

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Welcome back Ronnie...we all knew you could only read other posts for so long...before the entertainment would start again..

Thank you so much!!! I just could not refrain from bloviating on Crash's completely absurd comment!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Thank you so much!!! I just could not refrain from bloviating on Crash's completely absurd comment!

"bloviating"; Ronnie, where did you go to school?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    7.52min is Gallardo's time with Corsa's. But, you can put Michelin Cups on Gallardo as well...
    My guess for 997 Turbo manual(LSD) in von Saurma hands?
    7.45-7.47min with Michelin Cups.

kreso, i have seen a couple of web sites saying 7.52 with standard tyres , where have you seen that its with corsa's?

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

websters dictionary: bloviate: to speak or write verbosely and windily.
    Do you still need to know where I went to school?

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Precisely my point.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Well Devo what do you have to say that...

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

The fact that Ronnie has to go to the Webster's to impress us is "precisely my point"; hence if he was as intelligent as he promotes himself to be, i.e. smart (webster's), he wouldn't have to attempt to show off, i.e. like force feeding us about how good his Z is. (I found Z06 in the dictionary but it's censored.)

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

The fact that Ronnie has to go to the Webster's to impress us is "precisely my point"; hence if he was as intelligent as he promotes himself to be, i.e. smart (webster's), he wouldn't have to attempt to show off, i.e. like force feeding us about how good his Z is. (I found Z06 in the dictionary but it's censored.)

The reason I gave you a definition right out of the dictionary is because, like so many others, you may not accept it as gospal unless you have it quoted to you.
    (such as my pontificating about what Crash had to say)

Quote:
    Crash said:

Correct.

Here is what Motor Trend had to say about GM's efforts at the Ring...

"Engineers switched suspension settings and changed tires many times before finding the optimum setup."

Here's my question...Why would Motor Trend report GM changed tires many times looking for the optimum setup if all the tires used were the same make?? If you change tires looking for the optimum setup, you're trying DIFFERENT kinds of tires...

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:If you change tires looking for the optimum setup, you're trying DIFFERENT kinds of tires...

Not necessarily. There could've been many development prototypes of the Goodyears with different treads and/or rubber compounds. The tires were developed alongside the car, so it's entirely possible that all the tires were versions of the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT runflats.

I'm not saying this is the case, just pointing it out as a possibility...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    "The car is a standard 911 Turbo, fitted with the sports option pack that adds 60Nm more to the mid-range torque, for 680Nm in total.

0-100km/h: 3.9 seconds (manual), 3.7 seconds (auto).
    0-200km/h: 12.8 seconds (manual), 12.2 seconds (auto).
    Nurburgring lap time: 7 minutes, 49 seconds (manual), 7 minutes, 52 seconds (auto).
    Top speed: 310km/h. "

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=11918

To compare lap times of Tip and manual all variables (except transmission) must be the same. Porsche and Walter know that we know this. Who thinks Porsche and Walter would misrepresent the faster NBR manual times?

AUM

I think all these numbers are just guessed from the writer, except for the 3 seconds difference between tip and manual, and probably without the sports chrono. If real (ie with SC) these numbers are a bit dissapointing.

If I recall correctly, P provided factory claims re: the various 997S iterations' N-ring times (-20mm, PASM Sport/Reg modes) to rennteam about this time in launch process of 997S.....

Given that P sources haven't provided rennteam N-ring times for manny/SC/LSD/PCCB vs Tip/SC/PCCB in both Sport/Reg modes on street tires, I suspect P and its marketing folks are still "determining" what pseudo-precise values to feed to car enthusiasts, partially based on Tip availability vs its relative profitability to P .....

Let's face it...90%+ of 997TT buyers don't know what/where an N-ring is...they just very vaguely know 0-60MPH, hp and mthly lease pmts to justify their car choice/proposal to their wife, who'll pick the color if she signs off on the mid-life toy....and since 997TT first-yr demand is so robust, P prob isn't very focused on N-ring nos. to sell 997TT's...and when demand cools next yr, dealers will just discount and P will offer more attractive lease terms to move units vs the already-sales-dead SL55....

I have that issue of Sport Auto...

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

Wow! Nice bloviation! I'm pretty sure you didn't know what that meant before yesterday !
    Regarding the engine, don't misquote me! I never said it had a Rolls-Royce jet engine under the hood. I do however claim that it has a General Electric jet engine, as evidenced by its near-takeoff at Döttinger Höhe.
    So, how much diesel does your cute little jet car use? With its advanced high-tech, it must smell like daisies are coming out of the exhaust. What a super duper car! I'm impressed! Now, if only the body would not give way when pressed on, like a cheap toy...

Dock, exactly my point about the tyres. We simply have no clue what was used and Mr. Webster here is trying to convince us that we don't know how to read .

Quote:
    Grant said:Not necessarily. There could've been many development prototypes of the Goodyears with different treads and/or rubber compounds. The tires were developed alongside the car, so it's entirely possible that all the tires were versions of the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT runflats.

Of course the question is what does "different kind" mean? Maybe others think differently, but I consider "different kind" to include a tire (made by Goodyear) that has a different rubber composition or different tread design (or a non-runflat design) than the present OEM tire used on the C6Z.

The "different" here means "different performing"...since performance (Ring times) was the goal.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Correct.

Here is what Motor Trend had to say about GM's efforts at the Ring...

"Engineers switched suspension settings and changed tires many times before finding the optimum setup."

Here's my question...Why would Motor Trend report GM changed tires many times looking for the optimum setup if all the tires used were the same make?? If you change tires looking for the optimum setup, you're trying DIFFERENT kinds of tires...

Yes...Chevy did many runs using different tires and suspension setting, prior to production, in order to find the optimum set up for the production car. The time of 7.429 achieved by Jan Magnuson was with the final production set up which included Goodyear Supercar EMT tires. Jan wrote an article about this which was published in Corvette Quarterly.

The time of 7.429 achieved by Jan Magnuson was with the final production set up which included Goodyear Supercar EMT tires. Jan wrote an article about this which was published in Corvette Quarterly.

+++Can you post a direct link to this article?

AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The time of 7.429 achieved by Jan Magnuson was with the final production set up which included Goodyear Supercar EMT tires. Jan wrote an article about this which was published in Corvette Quarterly.

+++Can you post a direct link to this article?

AUM

Corvette Quarterly is published by Chevrolet, and is sent free of charge to all new Corvette owners. It can be purchased on some newsstands, but, to my knowledge, it is not online. The article in question came out sometime last year. I have it at my home.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said: Jan wrote an article about this which was published in Corvette Quarterly.

Do you have the article? If so can you scan it and post it here?

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said: Jan wrote an article about this which was published in Corvette Quarterly.

Yes, Ronnie,

Definitely scan it. And while I'm not interested in buying a ZO6, I WILL BE tempted by the Blue Devil if/when it comes out-I love forced induction powerplants.

The Z06 is so great it makes you smarter too!

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:

Yes, Ronnie,

Definitely scan it. And while I'm not interested in buying a ZO6, I WILL BE tempted by the Blue Devil if/when it comes out-I love forced induction powerplants.

The blue devil (to be called the SS) will have close to 700Hp and will weigh between 2800-2900 pounds. I am # 1 on my dealers "to order" list! It will be out by the end of 07 or beginning of 08. I can't wait!

Guys, the "Blue Devil" is more than just a Z06 with more HP.

FYI The engine in the Z06 is a 7 liter V8 without overhead cams and variable valve timing.

The Blue Devil engine is a 7 liter V8 with Dual Overhead cams,direct injection, variable valve timing and a Supercharger.Expect 700hp and a 8400rpm redline. Expect coil over suspension at all 4 wheels, giant brakes and even more CF bodypanels. Its a take no prisoners car from GM.

Does it come with a life insurance?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803676 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448665 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266260 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90139 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6697 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885967 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833795 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM