Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

5 minute intro for 10 sec race.

Jesus noone are you like that in real life? you must be a joy to be around  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7h1KX_ix4

But 570S is almost 3seconds faster on circuit! Was the tires only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQeBzuD66wk

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    RC:

--

J.Seven

AWD vs RWD from a dig... 

noone1:
    J.Seven:
    RC:

--

J.Seven

AWD vs RWD from a dig... 

They made another drag race with warmed tires and the 570S won!

--

J.Seven

congrats...R8 is a fine car.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

J.Seven:
    RC:

Tires, driver, type of circuit...

AutoBILD Sportcars tested the R8 with Cup 2 and achieved quite impressive track times.

So did actually Sport Auto, only that their test car had miraculously low power (they dyno all Supertest cars). Still: Considering that the Huracan was on Trofeo R and the R8 only on Cup 2, the difference in Hockenheim was basically a second. 

Not that it really matters... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

J.Seven:
    noone1:
    J.Seven:
    RC:

--

J.Seven

AWD vs RWD from a dig... 

I can assure you that from 0-160 kph, the 570S stands no chance. We tried a couple of times...my jeweler owns one. Smiley

Interesting enough, the 570S is pulling off very very slowly after 160 kph but then again, when we accelerate for example from 240 kph to 300 kph, the 570S is slower. Smiley By slower I mean "slow motion" slower, the difference is barely noticeable. I guess the car gains a lot of time from 160 kph to 240 kph, this is probably the reason why it is over two seconds faster to 300 kph (according to reviews). Probably has something to do with gearing and boost pressure. The differences in real life driving are minuscule though.

Did a comparison ride versus an Aventador yesterday on the Autobahn, couldn't go over 270 kph (winter tires, Aventador had summer tires) and surprisingly, both my R8 and the Aventador couldn't gain a bit vs. each other, which was pretty weird (the Aventador should be faster...on paper). This confirms my real life experience: When there is only a difference of half to one second from 0-200 kph or three to four seconds to 300 kph, the real life difference is minimal. At around 260 kph I had the feeling that the Aventador starts to pull off (didn't do it really though) but I had to brake at 270 kph. We also had an Audi RS3 with us, tuned to 450 hp. It is amazing how this car fell back...very slowly. Quite impressive. On paper, I think it needs from 0-200 kph around 12 or 13 seconds. 

--

RC:
    J.Seven:
    noone1:
    J.Seven:
    RC:

--

J.Seven

AWD vs RWD from a dig... 

I can assure you that from 0-160 kph, the 570S stands no chance. We tried a couple of times...my jeweler owns one. Smiley

Interesting enough, the 570S is pulling off very very slowly after 160 kph but then again, when we accelerate for example from 240 kph to 300 kph, the 570S is slower. Smiley By slower I mean "slow motion" slower, the difference is barely noticeable. I guess the car gains a lot of time from 160 kph to 240 kph, this is probably the reason why it is over two seconds faster to 300 kph (according to reviews). Probably has something to do with gearing and boost pressure. The differences in real life driving are minuscule though.

Did a comparison ride versus an Aventador yesterday on the Autobahn, couldn't go over 270 kph (winter tires, Aventador had summer tires) and surprisingly, both my R8 and the Aventador couldn't gain a bit vs. each other, which was pretty weird (the Aventador should be faster...on paper). This confirms my real life experience: When there is only a difference of half to one second from 0-200 kph or three to four seconds to 300 kph, the real life difference is minimal. At around 260 kph I had the feeling that the Aventador starts to pull off (didn't do it really though) but I had to brake at 270 kph. We also had an Audi RS3 with us, tuned to 450 hp. It is amazing how this car fell back...very slowly. Quite impressive. On paper, I think it needs from 0-200 kph around 12 or 13 seconds. 

Your post and also your other post about meeting the new RS5 confirms my own impressions: differences in acceleration times are less and less relevant. In real life the performance is very close - what matters most are the other factors like drive-feel, design, emotional factors Smiley

Real life performance is really barely noticeable. 

Does it really matter if a car moves away in slow motion or if a car does 340 instead of 330 kph? Not really.

Even track performance doesn't really matter because most of us cannot relate to 1:08,0 or 1:09,5 in Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs. Or take even the Nordschleife: Does it matter if a car does it in 7:30 min or 7:20 min? 10 seconds difference on a 20(!) km track? I mean most people don't even try to realize what this means.

Also, looking at various track reviews from different magazines, I have to wonder if the test results are not often tainted by driver preference (some drivers prefer AWD...like me, from the good old rally days and others prefer RWD) and/or talent?

So I started to look for the emotional part of a drive...the sound, the look and feel, the details (I love what McLaren did on the new 720S regarding details or that Forged Composite on the Huracan Performante) and of course how the car "fits" my driving style. The 991.1 Turbo S and the R8 V10 Plus fit my driving style perfect. The GT500 didn't. Even the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab doesn't necessarily fit my driving style, it is different. I like driving it with an open top but I drive this car much more relaxed than my R8 for example. The worst car I ever got is my current Mini JCW. What a disappointment (no wonder Mini offers a "Pro" version now because apparently, I'm not the only unhappy customers). Next city commuter: Audi RS3. 

--

RC:
    J.Seven:
    noone1:
    J.Seven:
    RC:

--

J.Seven

AWD vs RWD from a dig... 

Very interesting and entertaining your highway encounters, thanks for sharing with us, real world first hand experience is what really matters Smiley

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Very interesting and entertaining your highway encounters, thanks for sharing with us, real world first hand experience is what really matters Smiley

Ironically, the only real world use for such exercises is the bragging right in the pub Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    J.Seven:

Ironically, the only real world use for such exercises is the bragging right in the pub Smiley

You´re terrible Smiley

--

J.Seven

Thank you. I take that as a compliment indecision

--

bluelines:
    J.Seven:

Well, I have Rennteam as a pub since I don't drink alcohol or visit pubs for that matter. Smiley

I would "brag" personally but I don't want to see you cry...with kids and all now. Smiley Smiley

--

Update on my R8: Dealer who keeps my summer wheels in storage just told me that I need a tire replacement. Both, front and rear tires, are at the (legal) limit (profile), so I am going to get new tires. Well, they lasted 11500 km (the last 2000 km were done on winter tires).

I thought long about the replacement, actually wanted to get the OEM certified Michelin Cup 2 R01 instead of the current PZero but decided against it. We have some nice and warm days here in Bavaria but often, it is under 20°C and it also rains from time to time. I wouldn't really benefit from the Cup 2 since they only make sense if I would visit the track often. For pass roads and some fun around curvy country roads, the road tires are the better choice (leaves, dust, wet spots, etc.). Also, the Michelin Cup 2 probably last only 6000-7000 km the way I drive, so... Smiley Smiley

So PZero R01 it is...again. Can't say anything bad about these tires though. In the wet, they were pretty impressive and they were also pretty good on dry pavement as well. Only started smearing a little bit at very high temperatures (exceeding 60°C), so no real problem here.

All four tires are 1200 EUR, not cheap but this includes a damage insurance (if the tires get damaged, no matter if punctured or damaged on a boardwalk or whatever, they will be replaced free of cost).

With that occasion, I will get my 20" summer wheels rims painted in the OEM black (anthrazit black, OEM color for the optional black rims). I liked the titanium painted rims but black just suits the car better, especially because then, you can actually see the brake calipers through the black spokes. It just looks better on the R8 in my opinion but to each his own I guess. 

I also get an oil and oil filter change (basically the 15000 km "service") and there is a small issue when I upshift in higher gears, it sometimes feels at higher rev figures as if the "clutch" is slipping. They can check this electronically, so no worries here. Maybe I am just imagining things but better to be safe than sorry.

Can't wait to be on summer tires again, the winter tires were OK when we had cold temperatures but at 15°C or so, they are not really fun.

--

Soon available as an option for the R8:

http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-etches-side-blades/

C4D_2IeWQAAtkna.jpg

--

RC:

So PZero R01 it is...again. Can't say anything bad about these tires though. In the wet, they were pretty impressive and they were also pretty good on dry pavement as well. Only started smearing a little bit at very high temperatures (exceeding 60°C), so no real problem here.

All four tires are 1200 EUR, not cheap but this includes a damage insurance (if the tires get damaged, no matter if punctured or damaged on a boardwalk or whatever, they will be replaced free of cost).

--

Just read that Pirelli offers colored tires in Germany (as presented in Geneva)  - a set allegedly costs EUR 2.5k... Smiley

RC:

Soon available as an option for the R8:

http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-etches-side-blades/

C4D_2IeWQAAtkna.jpg

--

Well, it's an interesting production process as shown in the article but I never would like to have any inscription on the side blades. 

--

Conny997:

Well, it's an interesting production process as shown in the article but I never would like to have any inscription on the side blades. 

Well, you could use something like "488" as inscription for example. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Conny997:

Smiley I guess I am too dumb to understand German (or scandinavian Smiley) humor. Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    Conny997:

Smiley I guess I am too dumb to understand German (or scandinavian Smiley) humor.

No problem, we all knew that before. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:
    Rossi:
    Conny997:

Smiley I guess I am too dumb to understand German (or scandinavian Smiley) humor.

LOL! Smiley

--

Rossi:
    RC:
    Rossi:
    Conny997:

No surprises here, indeed. Smiley

--

This article from Car Magazine supports your earlier statements regarding the future of the R8, and possibly, the TT, as Audi is planning on scaling back engines and two door product in the near term.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/audi/audi-to-drop-40-of-its-powertrains-as-it-ramps-up-ev-development/

RC:

Update on my R8: Dealer who keeps my summer wheels in storage just told me that I need a tire replacement. Both, front and rear tires, are at the (legal) limit (profile), so I am going to get new tires. Well, they lasted 11500 km (the last 2000 km were done on winter tires).

I thought long about the replacement, actually wanted to get the OEM certified Michelin Cup 2 R01 instead of the current PZero but decided against it. We have some nice and warm days here in Bavaria but often, it is under 20°C and it also rains from time to time. I wouldn't really benefit from the Cup 2 since they only make sense if I would visit the track often. For pass roads and some fun around curvy country roads, the road tires are the better choice (leaves, dust, wet spots, etc.). Also, the Michelin Cup 2 probably last only 6000-7000 km the way I drive, so... 

Do these tires trade longevity for traction or do you drive that hard? Smiley

I am well aware these tires don't last more than one summer season for the usual driver but that mileage does surprise me a little. Would've expected 20, at least 15 thousand km out of one set.

Well...I have a tire abusing driving style. angry Usually, according to my mechanic, they last at least 15-17k km, sometimes even over 20k km. yes A problem was also that I experimented with tire pressures and usually used too high pressures, which caused an uneven wear. This is a problem, especially for AWD cars.

There is also another problem now with two different tires but with the same R01 classification. Will explain tomorrow...

--

The rears on my Turbo last maybe 6 k miles to the steel belts. I hardly ever spin the tires but like RC I have a punishing style. 

Do the steel belts provide much grip on the road? I'm curious.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Do the steel belts provide much grip on the road? I'm curious.

Smiley

--

OK, here is an interesting take on the R01 classification of the OEM Pirelli PZero tires. Don't know if Audi messed up or if this confusion is intentional (doubtful) but it is definitely annoying and shouldn't concern a customer.

My original OEM tire PZero R01 is the previous generation PZero, similar to the N0 for the 991.1 Turbo S.

Now, there seems to be a PZero PZ4 with the same R01 classification, this tire is basically the N1 used for the new 991.2 Turbo S (facelift). Great tire in the dry, not so great on wet pavement.

The fun part is: According to Pirelli, both tires have not only a different compound mixture but also a different tread design. Also, according to Pirelli, the new PZ4 and the older one (PZ3? ) shouldn't be mixed on a high performance car. So why do both PZero (PZ4 and previous generation) have the same R01 classification? Smiley

Pirelli assumes that Audi made a mistake here, the tire should have been classified R02 instead of R01 but my mechanic isn't even aware of this problem. He ordered a PZero R01 in OEM sizes at the dealership's tire dealer and chances are that either I get the old ones or "mixed" tires. Or maybe the tire dealer is aware of it and delivers only the new PZ4 (which is available!).

Now this whole thing went to Audi Sport for clarification. yes

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763638 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436048 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260834 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82567 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874409 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808398 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM