Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo drive impression in German webzine

Here is the link to German Autoscout24 webzine drive impression:
    http://magazin.autoscout24.de/magazin/mz..._porsche911.asp

Pretty interesting article if you ask me and again not completely positive...

Re: 997 Turbo drive impression in German webzine

dont speak deutsch..

A couple of prelim driving reports on 599 have also been lukewarn, complaining re: steering, etc.....

But I know at least 2-3, perhaps foolish/uninformed guys who are getting early copies of both 997TT Tip/SC/PCCB and 599 F-1/CCM anyway, so they can personally assess these allegedly cold, clinical, passionless cars vs these buyers' limited amateur driving capabs and real-world urban/suburban roads&weather....

i guess we all have to wait till the car really gets driven the way its ought to be.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    A couple of prelim driving reports on 599 have also been lukewarn, complaining re: steering, etc.....

But I know at least 2-3, perhaps foolish/uninformed guys who are getting early copies of both 997TT Tip/SC/PCCB and 599 F-1/CCM anyway, so they can personally assess these allegedly cold, clinical, passionless cars vs these buyers' limited amateur driving capabs and real-world urban/suburban roads&weather....

The report starts with the words "I actually don't like Turbos...".
    What amuses me most: the driver criticizes the too sporty setup of the Tiptronic S, this would be good for the track but not for street driving where you want some comfort.

Now what is it? Tiptronic not good, too good, too fast, not fast...yada yada yada. Oh boy, they need to let a 996 Turbo owner or former owner drive the car.
    From what I read in all those articles so far, it is my understanding that:
    1. the 997 Turbo is too perfect
    2. the 997 Turbo is too fast
    3. the 997 Turbo is too technically advanced

Of course you can use "journalistic" language to pep this up:
    1. 997 Turbo is too boring
    2. 997 Turbo isn't involving enough
    3. 997 Turbo is too passion-less

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

What amuses me most: the driver criticizes the too sporty setup of the Tiptronic S, this would be good for the track but not for street driving where you want some comfort.

Now what is it? Tiptronic not good, too good, too fast, not fast...yada yada yada. Oh boy, they need to let a 996 Turbo owner or former owner drive the car.

Don't worry RC, let the fools hate on the ultimate real world supercar all they want, it will just leave more Turbos for the informed enthusiasts like us. I don't understand how they can say these cars ae boring? Do they need a close call at 140 mph to say its exciting. I remember on one of the other reviews the journalist was riding with Walter and they took a turn at 138 on a single lane road. The journalist admitted he was terrified and that the turbo will rip your head off if driven right, yet earlier in his review he said the turbo was not exciting. These sissy journalists need to learn to push the car because I doubt they are even using 7/10ths of its capabilities.

what colors VKSF??

blk/blk for the TT, blue for the F???

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Don't worry RC, let the fools hate on the ultimate real world supercar all they want, it will just leave more Turbos for the informed enthusiasts like us. I don't understand how they can say these cars ae boring? Do they need a close call at 140 mph to say its exciting. I remember on one of the other reviews the journalist was riding with Walter and they took a turn at 138 on a single lane road. The journalist admitted he was terrified and that the turbo will rip your head off if driven right, yet earlier in his review he said the turbo was not exciting. These sissy journalists need to learn to push the car because I doubt they are even using 7/10ths of its capabilities.

I guess if one does not like the 997TT he/she is a "fool". On the other hand, if one is ga ga over the "ultimate real world supercar", he/she is an "informed enthusiast". Wow!
    I had better go put my name on the waiting list right now!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

I guess if one does not like the 997TT he/she is a "fool". On the other hand, if one is ga ga over the "ultimate real world supercar", he/she is an "informed enthusiast". Wow!

Well you completely misread my post. While you don't have to love the turbo, you must respect its performance. I said some of these journalists need to actually push the car closer to its limits. If you read my post you would see that when the car was pushed by walter rohl, the journalist admitted being terrified. So you can infer that he was not doing all he could to exploit the capabilities of the turbo. The limits on this car are so high that they may feel like they are really driving fast yet they really arent pushing the cars limits, therefor it may seem boring. I never said you had to love the car or else your not an enthusiast. That would be arrogant. Sort of like you trying to always sell us on your c6z. Yes its a great car. Yes its fast, light, and agile, but I prefer the Turbo/F430/Gallardo for OBVIOUS reasons.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Well you completely misread my post. While you don't have to love the turbo, you must respect its performance. I said some of these journalists need to actually push the car closer to its limits. If you read my post you would see that when the car was pushed by walter rohl, the journalist admitted being terrified. So you can infer that he was not doing all he could to exploit the capabilities of the turbo. The limits on this car are so high that they may feel like they are really driving fast yet they really arent pushing the cars limits, therefor it may seem boring. I never said you had to love the car or else your not an enthusiast. That would be arrogant. Sort of like you trying to always sell us on your c6z. Yes its a great car. Yes its fast, light, and agile, but I prefer the Turbo/F430/Gallardo for OBVIOUS reasons.

I misread your post? "Don't worry RC, let the fools hate on the ultimate real world supercar all they want, it will just leave more Turbos for the informed enthusiasts like us." These are your words, my friend. I also appreciated your little dig as to what your prefer over the Z: "OBVIOUS reasons". I did not mention the Z in my post.
    Same old, same old.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

I misread your post? "Don't worry RC, let the fools hate on the ultimate real world supercar all they want, it will just leave more Turbos for the informed enthusiasts like us." These are your words, my friend. I also appreciated your little dig as to what your prefer over the Z: "OBVIOUS reasons". I did not mention the Z in my post.
    Same old, same old.

What I meant by that line to RC was let people bash the Turbo all they want because we love it and they can't change that . I think you would have a very hard time finding a better real world everyday supercar so I will stand behind that claim. By calling it that it does not mean you have to love it. I did not mean to "dig" at your choice of cars and I even acknowledged what a good car the c6z was. BUT there are OBVIOUS reasons why the tt/430/gallardo are more expensive and I would not believe you if you told me you would rather have the z06 if it was the same price as these cars.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Same old, same old.

What I meant by that line to RC was let people bash the Turbo all they want because we love it and they can't change that . I think you would have a very hard time finding a better real world everyday supercar so I will stand behind that claim. By calling it that it does not mean you have to love it. I did not mean to "dig" at your choice of cars and I even acknowledged what a good car the c6z was. BUT there are OBVIOUS reasons why the tt/430/gallardo are more expensive and I would not believe you if you told me you would rather have the z06 if it was the same price as these cars.

I understand your point. Not a problem. To clarify your last statement, if all 4 cars were the same price, my first choice would be the F-Car, 2nd choice the Z06, 3rd choice the L-car. I have owned P-cars and would not want another one. To be quite frank about it, if I wanted something other than the Z, I would buy it. I love F-cars, but at 3 times the price of the Z, I can't see spending the money on a car that will not come close to the performance of the Z.

Than you have made the right choice. I would buy the p car followed by the exotics and then the c6z if they were all the same price, but given there prices I'd take the P than the c6z followed by the exotics. The corvette is just too compelling from a performance standpoint. Plus I would love to smoke the unassuming Ferrari driver with it.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Than you have made the right choice. I would buy the p car followed by the exotics and then the c6z if they were all the same price, but given there prices I'd take the P than the c6z followed by the exotics. The corvette is just too compelling from a performance standpoint. Plus I would love to smoke the unassuming Ferrari driver with it.

I know the feeling....everytime I smoke the unassuming Porsche driver.

Careful now, the 997tt might just bite your head off

Quote:
    trip said:

As I said once or twice before...I will race a 997TT at Willowsprings in So Cal anytime. My checkbook will be in the glovebox...make sure there is one in the P-car! I have driven a 996TTS, and it did not even come close to my Z.
    But, you never know!

If I lived in the west side I would definately do it. I am in Florida maybe we can set something up where the loser pays for the price of shipping the car and air fair to the west or eastside? I would love to visit Cali again and for free that would be a dream. Sh## if I win I will buy dinner at the best spot in Cali, but I'm just talking smack who knows when the 997TT TipS will be available

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

As I said once or twice before...I will race a 997TT at Willowsprings in So Cal anytime. My checkbook will be in the glovebox...make sure there is one in the P-car! I have driven a 996TTS, and it did not even come close to my Z.
    But, you never know!

You and your precious Z, I tried to be nice but now your getting annoying. You must remember, the 996tts is not the 997tt. Comparing the 996 to your car would be like me comparing the c5z to the new turbo! Can you say demolished!!! Now, the c6z is as fast as the 997tt, but the turbo did beat it on the n'ring so careful who you are offering this race to. Another thing, you say you will race anyone any time but not anywhere. I have a feeling you probably know Willow springs like the back of your hand giving you a huge advantage. Why not offer to race anywhere? That would be a real offer. One you would probably lose (depending on who your racing). Also remember this is a Porsche enthusiast site and I am positive there are plenty of P-cars here that will eat your z alive road or track. If you are tryig to convince us to buy c6z's, you will fail. If you are trying to make us feel bad for buying porsches, your an [censored]. PORSCHE there is no substitute!

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

But, you never know!

You and your precious Z, I tried to be nice but now your getting annoying. You must remember, the 996tts is not the 997tt. Comparing the 996 to your car would be like me comparing the c5z to the new turbo! Can you say demolished!!! Now, the c6z is as fast as the 997tt, but the turbo did beat it on the n'ring so careful who you are offering this race to. Another thing, you say you will race anyone any time but not anywhere. I have a feeling you probably know Willow springs like the back of your hand giving you a huge advantage. Why not offer to race anywhere? That would be a real offer. One you would probably lose (depending on who your racing). Also remember this is a Porsche enthusiast site and I am positive there are plenty of P-cars here that will eat your z alive road or track. If you are tryig to convince us to buy c6z's, you will fail. If you are trying to make us feel bad for buying porsches, your an [censored]. PORSCHE there is no substitute!

+1

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:As I said once or twice before...I will race a 997TT at Willowsprings in So Cal anytime. My checkbook will be in the glovebox...make sure there is one in the P-car!

And this proves what?

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

But, you never know!

I can't understand why you are ruining the 997 Turbo thread with your all these C6Z issues? If you have nothing to say about the car, if you have no interest in it, if you haven't even seen it, if you have no money to afford it..... then go to Sports cars board and discuss your precious Vette!

Because GM needs people like you to save his a*s! This is the place where people put usefull information about these cars, not stupid conclusions without any backup! That's why I think it is a better idea to read more and to write less!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Same old, same old.

That shows how can one feel so insecure/childish about his car to race any other guy w/their P. turbo car to prove he has the fastest car. As if there was just the car as variable. They may be others variables like driver skills, tires, knowing the track and so on...
    Your car is definitely fast but unfortunately that is IT!!!
    You get probably pissed cause the P car evokes passion, quality, technology, speed, reliability and did I mentioned PASSION? The vette merely bring passion or something else except that it's fast
    For others like me, tis vette will never do it -- moreover it's slower

To resume the vette have 2 good arguments it's cheap and cheaper than the rest of sports car and it is fast if you can lay down the power

Quote:
    trip said:
    The limits on this car are so high that they may feel like they are really driving fast yet they really arent pushing the cars limits, therefor it may seem boring

FINALLY someone who understands.

know what this "passion" thing boils down to, I think

engine/exhaust sound. If the 997tt outbrakes, outhandles and outruns just about anything, there are only 2 things that could take away the "passion". Looks and sound. I loved its look, so that leaves sound. Does putting an aftermarket exhaust on it give it "passion"? If so, I think the whole subject of passion may be overblown and trite.

Re: know what this "passion" thing boils down to, I think

Well, I will say it-IMO 997 Turbo(TIP or manual with LSD) is the best allround sportscar currently on the market. All other competitors are more demanding to drive quickly and most of them cost more then Turbo. Also IMO 997 Turbo is not the most passionate sportscar(that is again IMO F430) on the market but, most Turbo buyers want understatement at the best level! And Turbo is providing that in spades!
    Looks!? I like it now more then before but, it is still not the best looking sportscar... Do not forget one other thing-Gallardo and 997 Turbo are only two that can be used in winter time.
    And last one-best combo is to have both 997 Turbo and F430F1-these are my favorites(and both soon in my garage)...

lets wait till performance and ring numbers get published. everybody will love it and other cars will be measured by the standards it will set.

as with all other previous turbos as well.....

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    engine/exhaust sound. If the 997tt outbrakes, outhandles and outruns just about anything, there are only 2 things that could take away the "passion". Looks and sound. I loved its look, so that leaves sound. Does putting an aftermarket exhaust on it give it "passion"? If so, I think the whole subject of passion may be overblown and trite.

I doubt that many people will seriously question 997 Turbo looks, I have people's chin fallig down over here over my wife's Boxster S. Maybe in San Diego or LA area, things are different.

I've chosen black for my 997 Turbo because of neighbors, customers, friends, etc., so the car doesn't attract too much attention. But I'm afraid this won't help much, yesterday the mother(!) of one of our kid's pre-school friends asked me where that beautiful black 911 is I drove last year. Of course she referred to my former 997 Carrera S. Hopefully people won't notice the change, I even got the same license plate for my 997 Turbo.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

But, you never know!

Bring your Z and your chequebook to the Nürburgring. You will go home a wiser but poorer man.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

But, you never know!

Bring your Z and your chequebook to the Nürburgring. You will go home a wiser but poorer man.

Exactly!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I doubt that many people will seriously question 997 Turbo looks, I have people's chin fallig down over here over my wife's Boxster S. Maybe in San Diego or LA area, things are different.

I've chosen black for my 997 Turbo because of neighbors, customers, friends, etc., so the car doesn't attract too much attention. But I'm afraid this won't help much, yesterday the mother(!) of one of our kid's pre-school friends asked me where that beautiful black 911 is I drove last year. Of course she referred to my former 997 Carrera S. Hopefully people won't notice the change, I even got the same license plate for my 997 Turbo.

RC why are you so worried about what people think? Do what makes you happy...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811853 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    271876 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91782 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8526 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    848008 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM