Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Fix for license plate bumper holes

Gents:
    Since I was forced to put my front license plate on my 997S beautiful bumper I found a way to take it off again and cover the holes. My 996C4S came from the factory with the plugs on the bumper but my 997C2S did not. Most of you have seen these color coated plugs but in case you need to buy them this his how http://www.bumperplugs.com/

Re: Fix for license plate bumper holes

Eric is awesome. BumperPlugs does great work. They can paint anything to match any Porsche color...

(Not affiliated with BumperPlugs.com - just a satisfied customer!)

-don

bumperplugs !

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    Eric is awesome. BumperPlugs does great work. They can paint anything to match any Porsche color...

(Not affiliated with BumperPlugs.com - just a satisfied customer!)

-don

I think so, and it's a perfect fix and the plugs can always be removed to put the license plate back on in case cops catch us.

Has anyone figured out a way of using the license plates with some sort of removable fixture that does not involve drilling holes in your bumper?

yup pcosta, check out beamers links in the post above. It involves attaching a fixture mounted on the towing hook of the car. So take the plug out, turn the screw in, attach the plates... as easy as that...
    -Joost-

Quote:
    pcosta said:
    Has anyone figured out a way of using the license plates with some sort of removable fixture that does not involve drilling holes in your bumper?

drill UP, not sideways:

So, what's behind the center black fascia piece on the C2/C2S/C4/C4S? If we can successfully drill into that, I'm thinking that I should fab up a plate mount that fits there...

Pros: plate would be lower / easy to replace black fascia at resale time / no holes in $$$$ bumper!

Cons: ?

-don

Guys: Unless you don't like the looks of the color coated plugs, it's the way to go. When you get a ticket you take the plugs outs and put the license plate it and once you get the ticket signed you put the plugs back in. Most of the 996's came with those plugs from the factory.

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    So, what's behind the center black fascia piece on the C2/C2S/C4/C4S? If we can successfully drill into that, I'm thinking that I should fab up a plate mount that fits there...

Pros: plate would be lower / easy to replace black fascia at resale time / no holes in $$$$ bumper!

Cons: ?

-don

here's a pic. looks like a custom made bracket.

It works better with a non-standard US plate. A Euro plate or even better a Swiss plate would actually fit inside the "gap" in front of the fake grille. I suspect a motorcycle plate would do, too.

They are all ugly. As soon as I get my ticket signed off I will remove the plate and put the matching color bumper plugs in the holes. On my C4S coming from the factory looked pretty good and now the 997S should look just as good. In case I get pulled over I will remove the plugs put the license back in

Velcro the plate to the front of the car. Get the ticket dismissed. Remove Velcro and adhesive. Repeat as needed.

Thanks, MMD - that's what I was thinking. Now that I see it, yes - it's still ugly.

Maybe if it was a little higher? I dunno. Maybe Stephen's Velcro idea will work... will Velcro stick to Rejex? <g>

-don

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    Thanks, MMD - that's what I was thinking. Now that I see it, yes - it's still ugly.

Maybe if it was a little higher? <g>

-don

The pic is taken from low vantage point. Standing uprght and looking down at the car it's not bad at all. It's *alot* better than sticking the plate in the stock position with stock bracket. The main bumper curve under the badge is uninterrupted so the car looks good (not messed up with a plate in the middle and high).

Quote:
    pcosta said:

Attach your plate to the plate holder then right before you get to the police station to verify your fix it ticket affix the plate holder to your car with duct tape. Then after you drive away from the police station remove the plate and the tape.

Quote:
    Stephen said:
    Velcro the plate to the front of the car. Get the ticket dismissed. Remove Velcro and adhesive. Repeat as needed.

You can't in CA the officer will want to see two holes and two screws. They will ask you when you go to the police station so they don't waste their time get off their ass and burn unnnecessary calories in thier donut infested bodies. If you say you don't have 2 screws and holes they will ask you to do it right and go back.

When I get home next week, I'm going to work on mocking up a plate mount like the one shown above in MMD's post... I think that we can come up with a solution that:

1.) doesn't involve drilling holes in the front bumper,
    2.) is structurally rigid and,
    3.) meets legal requirements.

Thanks again, MMD.

-don

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    You can't in CA the officer will want to see two holes and two screws. They will ask you when you go to the police station so they don't waste their time get off their ass and burn unnnecessary calories in thier donut infested bodies. If you say you don't have 2 screws and holes they will ask you to do it right and go back.

I thought that I had previously read some posts from others who said they went to the DMV to get their ticket signed off. They said that they didn't even bother to check the car, they just asked if they had put the plate on. Can anyone confirm that you can get a license plate ticket signed off at the DMV?

Phil

Noop, you can only get it signed off at CHP, Sheriff or PD.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

That's wrong. I had to bring in my 996 to the CHP. The guy walked out of the door took a glance at the car and signed my ticket. There is no way he could have known if there were screws, velcro or tape.

www.bumperplugs.com
    he's legendary for Porsche plugs
    cops that give tickets for front license plates are hard up.........PERIOD

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

I thought that I had previously read some posts from others who said they went to the DMV to get their ticket signed off. They said that they didn't even bother to check the car, they just asked if they had put the plate on. Can anyone confirm that you can get a license plate ticket signed off at the DMV?

Phil

Hi Phil, Took my wife car to police station for the same reason and they just asked if I had it fixed. Didn't even bother to come out and look. If it happens, go there on a rainy day or VERY HOT day
    Don't know about DMV.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

Phil

Hi Phil, Took my wife car to police station for the same reason and they just asked if I had it fixed. Didn't even bother to come out and look. If it happens, go there on a rainy day or VERY HOT day
    Don't know about DMV.

I was not so lucky the bastard asked if I fixed the plate and then sent another guy out to inspect the plate and the method of attachment. I will however take the plate off this weekend and put the color coated plugs in that I bought from bmuperplugs.com, they look awsome :0

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    When I get home next week, I'm going to work on mocking up a plate mount like the one shown above in MMD's post... I think that we can come up with a solution that:

1.) doesn't involve drilling holes in the front bumper,
    2.) is structurally rigid and,
    3.) meets legal requirements.

Thanks again, MMD.

-don

My pleasure. You can drill UP into the bumper; why not? Holes won't be seen. If you're a real stickler you can always get bumper plugs to cover those holes drilled UP. The plastic bumper is enough to provide structrual support for a bracket with four fasteners (IMO) with 1/2 inch penetration (because were not sure what's back there). Make sure you use screws for plastic. They have coarser threads which grip better. A proper sized pilot hole is important. Most states only require the plate to be vertical and visible from front of car; you realy shouldn't go any lower than the one pictured (IMO) because the events of scraping on inclines might eventually weaken/damage the assembly. Fun huh?

Here is what I think is the best solution to the license plate issue... and it requires no drilling at all!!!

I just bought a "license plate tow hook kit" from Larry at http://www.moweraxle.com/

He uses the tow hook hole in the front bumper to attach the license plate. I installed it today and it works great!!! So, on the days that I feel I need a front license plate, it takes just a few minutes to hook it.

Larry's kit is extremely well made and it took him no time at all to ship it to me. For pictures, see what someone else posted here... http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?TOPI...;tmp=1#pid32653

The "licence Plate tow hook kit from Larry at moweraxle.com was received in British Columbia, Canada in less than 2 weeks! It is exactly as described and works great as a temporary or permanent licence plate mount without drilling any holes in the front of the car ... just remove the plastic tow hook cover in the 997 bumper and screw in the bracket. If no plate is wanted, the bumper can easily be returned to its original pristine condition.
    All this versatility for only $95 USD, including delivery!!!

I've been using this bracket since I picked up the car in June. So far all is well. The backet set up is solid and has not moved or twisted a bit. I used the pink locktite(?) to prevent the tow hook rod from unscrewing it slef from road vivrations.

beamer: Its funny, you have a front plate on your P-car, yet the Toyota a row back does not have one!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661055 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400887 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59306 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853268 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761325 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM