Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is the price of gasoline increasing all over the world?

We are seeing big increases in gas prices over the past couple of weeks here in NJ. Filled up with 93 octane last night at $3.19/gallon. One month ago, might have cost $2.39/gallon. And a number of stations were reporting shortages due to the switch over from MBTE in EtOH. What's the situation around the world?

Re: Is the price of gasoline increasing all over the world?

I paid $2.97 for regular 87 octane...or $70 bucks to fill up my Tundra yesterday. I know it's still a good deal compared to other parts of the world, but a far cry from the $1/gallon 5 years ago....

Sadly oil is still too cheap and will probably go higher:

there is no cheaper alternative right now to replace oil and its derivatives(heating oil, gas). Demand is slowing down just a little in europe, but mostly because newer cars use less gas and people buy more economical cars. Electric cars are not an option because of the poor battery technology (and anyway in the US electricity is produced with oil). Hydrogen cars are inexistant. Hybrid cars are just an expensive way for manufacturers to say they do something about it (reducing gas comsumption by 10/15% won't solve the problem long term, just makes people feel good about it).

As for heating oil use, I looked into solar and geothermal and they are still way too expensive (x2) even at current prices. But there is so much demand for solar panels that they can't produce them fast enough, so their price won't go down either.

Lastly for electric, nuclear is the only way to produce cheap, but no one wants it in their backyard (US). Wind power is still too expensive, and hydroelectric is already at max capacity. Solar use in big size still hasn't really been a succes.

So oil is still too cheap.

Here in San Diego, gas prices are among the highest in the nation.Our 93 octane is close to $3.50. I really do not see prices going below $3.00 for a very long time or if at all.

I think this is particularly tragic since it really hits the low income people the hardest.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I think this is particularly tragic since it really hits the low income people the hardest.

Sadly so true

We're spoiled....just check the prices in Western Europe, where it's been over $4/gal.for years.

What I don't understand is U.S. never bought oil from Iran with the advent of Iran's nuclear program I don't understand why our gas pricese should sky rocket.

Majority of our oil supply comes from Canada anyway. I guess that's how CEOs like Exxon's can get a $400 million bonus packages at their retirements .

Heard a energy analyst just now

saying that this is just a temporary spike caused be the switch over from winter to summer blends coupled with a price "over-reaction". So, my reading is that big oil created a artificial shortage by using production discontinuity.

In protest, I'm cancelling my 997tt order and buying a Prius!

Hmmm, maybe not

Re: Heard a energy analyst just now

Our price in the UK is the equivalent of $6.60 per US gallon. About $106 to fill up.

Enjoy your prices whilst you can guys....

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    saying that this is just a temporary spike caused be the switch over from winter to summer blends coupled with a price "over-reaction".

My car is still on winter tires. Does that mean I can help out the oil companies and use up any surplus winter blend gas they have?

At a discount, of course.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    What I don't understand is U.S. never bought oil from Iran with the advent of Iran's nuclear program I don't understand why our gas pricese should sky rocket.

Majority of our oil supply comes from Canada anyway. I guess that's how CEOs like Exxon's can get a $400 million bonus packages at their retirements .

Hi Ron,

we don't have to buy oil directly from Iran. The price per barrel is a world market price. If Iran (or any other oil producing country) restricts supply, they are restricting the world supply, which affects the price of oil.

We actually don't purchase our majority of oil from Canada. About 60% is imported. Of this amount, we import the most from Canada and Mexico. However, one country does not represent a majority of the oil we consume, nor even represent a majority that we import.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    saying that this is just a temporary spike caused be the switch over from winter to summer blends coupled with a price "over-reaction". So, my reading is that big oil created a artificial shortage by using production discontinuity.

This is true but only for unleaded gas. If you look closely, all the other energies are also up, heating oil and crude, although a little less than unleaded. So they are really up.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Our price in the UK is the equivalent of $6.60 per US gallon. About $106 to fill up.

Agree! Americans need to shut their faces and enjoy their overall lower cost of living. Geez.

Around 6$ for a gallon here.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Gas prices in the US are a mercurial and often confusing thing.

We will never buy oil from Iran because Iran is a member of our "international terror states list" and as a result of the 1996 AEDPA law the US does not trade commodities with these states.

The real reason for increased gas prices in the US is a mixture of a few things:

1.) Increased demand by China and India creating a more equilibrated free-market, allowing for more leverage by OPEC:

This means that multinational corps such as Exxon, Mobil, Shell etc etc do not have to pander to US needs of low oil prices because they have no problem making their green in other markets. The very threat of this allows these MNC a lot more leverage in their pricings.

As a result, a lot of people think that the free-market for gas in the US has been skewed by price fixing. It is very hard to prove this, but the most glaring evidence would be incongrous profit earnings for these oil companies compared to their expenditures:

i.e. If Exxon charges 3.15 nationwide for 93 octane, they justify this through the rise in crude oil costs (which have climbed from 50 dollars to what is now about 75$). Thus, they explain that their base costs are more.
    However, the situation gets quite murky when you see that Exxon owns many of the oil fields, not just the refineries. This applies the same for other companies.

2.) Fear of peak oil coupled with the afformentioned increase in demand:

OPEC needs to really invest in their future and the biggest threat to this future is peak oil. Although it is very hard to calculate acurately, many sources claim peak oil will hit within 50 years. If you don't know what peak oil is, there are some excellent links on it on wikipedia as well as metafilter (use the search function).

With many OPEC countries neglecting to create a critical mass infrastructure with the vast wealth they have amassed as a result of oil sales within the past (70s to 90s), they see that the time has come to become a little bit more serious with their economic development and that may cause a lot of "discomfort" in the States.

It is an ironic twist of neoliberal economics, as the economic functionality pretty much turns the tables...

I simply see this as the first mark of a trend in the future which spells more equality in the world and less pandering to US needs...

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:
    Quote:
    john999s said:

Agree! Americans need to shut their faces and enjoy their overall lower cost of living. Geez.

Don't forget that you have to spent significantly less money (compared to almost all other countries) to buy our beloved P-cars - so just enjoy

Prices over here (for the good 100 Octane stuff) translate into 6.78 USD/Gallon.

Though fully agree with SciFrog's analysis - oil still is a cheap energy resource - don't forget that it's not the "Oil-Sheiks" exploiting us - in most countries it's just the own greedy government: in Germany appr. 70% of the gasoline price is TAXES

80% taxes in France...

If you think Porsches are cheap in the US, look at the Jeep and Hummer prices, almost half the european prices...

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    With many OPEC countries neglecting to create a critical mass infrastructure with the vast wealth they have amassed as a result of oil sales within the past (70s to 90s), they see that the time has come to become a little bit more serious with their economic development and that may cause a lot of "discomfort" in the States.

It is an ironic twist of neoliberal economics, as the economic functionality pretty much turns the tables...

I simply see this as the first mark of a trend in the future which spells more equality in the world and less pandering to US needs...

Huh???????

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    80% taxes in France...

If you think Porsches are cheap in the US, look at the Jeep and Hummer prices, almost half the European prices...

The obvious result of confiscatory tax policies in Europe.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

Huh???????

What is so huh? I'd feel free to elaborate on my ideas...

$ 6.50 a gallon in France. I miss my 996, but I'm happy I got a TDi A4 whenever I stop at the pump: gas-oil is $ 2 cheaper (because of lower taxes), and I get about 40 mpg (if I drive like a grandma)!
    It's still cheaper to drive a Porsche every day than to buy a beater to save on fuel, so I see no reason not to do so when I get my Targa. The A4 is great, but I want a car that feels ALIVE again!

I am sure gas prices will keep rising in the future. Why should they fall? Unless China and India suddenly decide to return to the stone age, demand is not going to stop skyrocketing. As for supply, even though more fields become profitable as prices rise, I doubt it will be enough to cover the increase in demand. Anyway, the very fact that these fields go online will prevent the prices from dropping back below extracting costs there.

I think we are already past Peak Oil. It's a well-known secret that OPEC countries have overstated their reserves in order to be granted higher production quotas. When the tap suddenly dries up, they will be forced to drastically re-evaluate their reserves. And we will be caught with our pants down.

On a side note, I wouldn't blame Big Oil. Even though Exxon made huge profits last year, their relative profit margin is nothing to start a revolution about.

gas is 2.97 here in Boston

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    If you think Porsches are cheap in the US, look at the Jeep and Hummer prices, almost half the European prices...

The obvious result of confiscatory tax policies in Europe.

You're wrong. I'd say this is mostly because the market is more price-sensitive in the US, and more quality-sensitive in Europe.
    European manufacturers have to lower their margins in order to be able to sell in the US at all. Which is why a European-made car will often be cheaper in the US than in Europe. For obvious reasons, this is also the reason why European manufacturers are setting up shop in the US or in Mexico in order to address the US market. Taxes do play a role, but with VAT rates varying between 10 and 20 percent across all countries, it hardly accounts for the 33% price difference.

However, you get what you pay for. Fit and finish are much better in EU-spec cars than in the same model sold in the US. A base German Ford Focus feels better than a hypothetical Mercury Focus. An Opel beats a Chevy in every regard but price. Honda doesn't sell in Europe the cars that are sold as Hondas in the US, but mostly Honda-badged Acuras. This is also true of European manufacturers: US-built Mercedes or Mexican-built VWs would not pass quality standards in Germany (ask anyone who compared her US-built ML 320 to her neighbor's Austrian-built ML 320 CDi). Besides, even the cheapest base model car gets the latest electronic gizmos which are not even available as options in the US.
    I'm not saying this out of sheer jingoism. I lived in the US and live in the EU, the difference is striking. I guess manufacturers will just build what consumers are used to expect from them, and nothing more.

American manufacturers hardly sell US-made cars in Europe. This means that the cost of EU-spec modifications is spread across a small number of cars. This also means dealers need higher margins. It all adds up.

Now, if you're talking about GAS prices (not car prices), I agree with you 100%. However, I think the high gas taxes in Europe are beneficial, and I believe the US would be greatly inspired to raise its gas taxes. We as citizens and as business people need to get prepared for a world where energy is expensive. In a free market, I see no better way to steer energy users towards energy efficiency than to hit hard with the tax hammer.
    When cheap energy is over, millions of American citizens and businesses will be struggling to reinvent themselves. Cities will be a mess, as people abandon suburbs and rush downtown where the infrastructure is unable to support them.
    Meanwhile, European cities, citizens and businesses will shrug it off. Business as usual.
    I know people will dismiss these dire predictions: "But the American public will never accept it!" Unfortunately, this is not a matter of choice. It will happen whether we like it or not. What we can choose is merely to be prepared, or to ignore it until it is too late.

Here in Portugal fuel prices have never been higher. The 95 octanes fuel (remember that european octanes metrics are different than US ones) is at Euro 1.328 per liter. That's around $6.2 per gallon.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Now, if you're talking about GAS prices (not car prices), I agree with you 100%. However, I think the high gas taxes in Europe are beneficial, and I believe the US would be greatly inspired to raise its gas taxes. We as citizens and as business people need to get prepared for a world where energy is expensive. In a free market, I see no better way to steer energy users towards energy efficiency than to hit hard with the tax hammer.
    When cheap energy is over, millions of American citizens and businesses will be struggling to reinvent themselves. Cities will be a mess, as people abandon suburbs and rush downtown where the infrastructure is unable to support them.
    Meanwhile, European cities, citizens and businesses will shrug it off. Business as usual.
    I know people will dismiss these dire predictions: "But the American public will never accept it!" Unfortunately, this is not a matter of choice. It will happen whether we like it or not. What we can choose is merely to be prepared, or to ignore it until it is too late.

Let the market decide how expensive energy is. The goverment will only be making matters worse by making energy even more expensive. You want the economy to collapse, just tax the hell out of gas and you'll get it. And remember, as energy prices rise for us, they rise for Europeans also, at the same time. But they will hurt your pocketbook more then they would for us. If you like paying $6 per gallon for gas, then that's your decision. If the politicians in the US decide to place that tax on us, there will be a revolt like you won't believe.

At the present tme the most important reason for high gas prices in the US is the lack of refineries. There is plenty of oil but a new refinery has not been built since 1976.

Also, when oil is involved, worldwide apprehension concerning reduced supplies because of war or political unrest, plays even a larger role in pricing.

One thing is for certain, going forward the price of oil will remain high and will go higher. The day's of $2.00 a gallon are long gone. The Europeans will see there price go up as well.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    At the present tme the most important reason for high gas prices in the US is the lack of refineries. There is plenty of oil but a new refinery has not been built since 1976.

Also, when oil is involved, worldwide apprehension concerning reduced supplies because of war or political unrest, plays even a larger role in pricing.

One thing is for certain, going forward the price of oil will remain high and will go higher. The day's of $2.00 a gallon are long gone. The Europeans will see there price go up as well.

Nick, the price of oil being over $70 a barrel does have a lot to do with gas prices being over $3 a gallon. But you are correct, there is more than one factor setting the price of gasoline, not just the crude oil price.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    You want the economy to collapse, just tax the hell out of gas and you'll get it.

If you like paying $6 per gallon for gas, then that's your decision.

I don't want the economy to collapse. Quite the opposite, actually. I want to prevent a collapse in 10 years. Don't be scared by this price of $6 a gallon. We're not paying more overall. We just waste less energy to achieve the same thing for the same cost. The US uses twice as much energy per capita as other OECD countries. I'm sure there's a lot of room for effortless savings. Maybe you should try it.

We have to plan ahead for the future. The market adjusts to changes in supply and demand more or less instantly. But it takes a decade to reorganize our cities around high energy prices. He who merely reacts to the market gets wiped out. He who anticipates the market makes a killing. You're suggesting reacting to the market. I suggest otherwise.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    If the politicians in the US decide to place that tax on US, there will be a revolt like you won't believe.

I am perfectly aware that it will never happen. But such a revolt would pale in comparison with what is going to happen when nobody can afford to drive to work, when there is no public transportation system to ride to work, when there aren't enough apartments downtown to accommodate suburbanites relocating close to work. Oh, and when nobody can afford food either (you'd be astounded to hear how much oil it takes to grow a bushel of grain, let alone bring it to San Diego).

This is no about making a lifestyle choice. We have no choice about the final outcome. The only choice we have is how bad we want the transition to be.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

Let the market decide how expensive energy is. The goverment will only be making matters worse by making energy even more expensive. You want the economy to collapse, just tax the hell out of gas and you'll get it. And remember, as energy prices rise for us, they rise for Europeans also, at the same time. But they will hurt your pocketbook more then they would for us. If you like paying $6 per gallon for gas, then that's your decision. If the politicians in the US decide to place that tax on us, there will be a revolt like you won't believe.

I dont think the market is a sufficient guide for the situation at the moment.

We need to be cognizant of the ephemeral nature of crude oil (in the long run) as well as the environmental effects (blasphemy on a sports car board )...

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I am perfectly aware that it will never happen. But such a revolt would pale in comparison with what is going to happen when nobody can afford to drive to work, when there is no public transportation system to ride to work, when there aren't enough apartments downtown to accommodate suburbanites relocating close to work. Oh, and when nobody can afford food either (you'd be astounded to hear how much oil it takes to grow a bushel of grain, let alone bring it to San Diego).

This is no about making a lifestyle choice. We have no choice about the final outcome. The only choice we have is how bad we want the transition to be.

Groom (may I know your first name, you know mine ),

it will not be as bad as you are describing. Honestly, it's that kind of "the sky is falling" doom and gloom that portray the environmentalists in a bad light. We will not end up in a situation where nobody can afford to drive to work. If the demand is there, there will be more residential units built in the city core. By the way, why wouldn't there be? The housing market has always handled the demand fairly well, at least here in the U.S. I believe that one day, gas WILL be $100 a gallon. You and I might not be around to see it. It will be a long time and when that day arrives, we will already have transitioned into other forms of cheaper energy (relative to dwindling crude oil supplies). Why? Because the market would have demanded it by the time gas was $20 a gallon. By the way, what are you getting for your $3 a gallon extra that you are giving to your government? And how long have you been forced to give an extra $3 a gallon to your government?

What we may end up doing in the intermediate term is to build more nuclear power plants (I believe you have quite a few in France) to sustain us. We haven't built a new nuclear power plant in the US in some 30 years I believe. If needed, these new generations of power plants may supply the charging power for more electrical cars, if no other immediate forms of energy for cars become available. If we let the market dictate this, I believe that more nuclear would be built. And maybe this would be economically efficient to cause the auto makers to provide a new generation of electric vehicles. Right now, it's not the market but rather politics that stand in the way of more nuclear power plants in the U.S.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803602 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448651 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266250 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6676 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885949 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833666 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM