Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tracktest: Z06, M Roadster and SL55

Hi,

German car magazine AutoBild Sportscars tested the Z06, new M Roadster und SL55 (new engine) at the German Racetrack Oscherleben. I thought it might be interesting for some of you.

Start/Finish is point "2" on the Map.
    Track Length: 3,667 km

Times:
    Corvette Z06.........1:40.57 min
    SL55.................1:47.21 min
    M Roadster...........1:48.24 min

Older Times for comparison:
    1.Koro 4.6 RM S (heavily tuned GT3 and 4.6l).....1.39,65min
    2.Manthey-Racing Porsche 996 GT-MR...............1.41,79min
    3.TechArt Porsche turbo..........................1.43,59min
    5.Mercedes CLK DTM AMG...........................1.44,10min
    10.Lamborghini Gallardo..........................1.45,20min
    14.Porsche 911 turbo 996 (450 hp)................1.46,55min
    15.BMW M3 CSL....................................1.46,60min
    19.Porsche 911 turbo 996 (420 hp)................1.47,40min
    20.Porsche 911 GT3 996 Mk.2......................1.47,60min

Complete Time List

Test Data for the Z06:
    Tire Size............275/35 ZR 18
    .....................325/30 ZR 19
    Tires................Goodyear Eagle F1
    Weight...............1445 kg (not mentioned if with full tank or not)

0-100 km/h...........4,2 s
    0-130 km/h...........5,7 s
    0-160 km/h...........8,2 s
    0-200 km/h...........12,1 s

1/4 mile.............11,96 s

braking:
    100-0 km/h cold......35,2 m
    100-0 km/h warm......34,9 m
    200-0 km/h warm......133,3 m

Have a nice weekend,

Michael

Re: Tracktest: Z06, M Roadster and SL55

Thats a killer time for the Z06.

Wow... no kidding... very impressive indeed.

Just imagine if the roof stayed on during the run.

Seriously though... Porsche has got to get their sh!t together and realize that the competition is passing them by. How long can they hold onto the "old" racing heritage?

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Wow... no kidding... very impressive indeed.

Just imagine if the roof stayed on during the run.

Seriously though... Porsche has got to get their sh!t together and realize that the competition is passing them by. How long can they hold onto the "old" racing heritage?

Porsches quickest fix to get Chevy out of the picture would be to lobby to outlaw sales of duct tape or to
    claim that the Z06 roof is a illegal air brake.

Actually I dont think that the current Z06 is any real concern for Porsche. The next one, the C7 Z06, is. The
    new LS9 DOHC engine,better suspension,steering system,
    interior, could be a royal pain in the butt for PCNA
    sales.

I think it would be very intereting to really know how many long time Corvette owners switched to a Porsche and visa-versa....I suspect not many of either type.

Impressive time for the Z06. Doesn't look like the 997TT or GT3 could touch it on that particular track.

For Porsche-Corvette switching, I can see some people thinking between a Z06 and a GT3 for the track. But for people looking for a "luxury sports car" or a cab, if they can afford the 911, they will get it, not the Z06.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Impressive time for the Z06. Doesn't look like the 997TT or GT3 could touch it on that particular track.

For Porsche-Corvette switching, I can see some people thinking between a Z06 and a GT3 for the track. But for people looking for a "luxury sports car" or a cab, if they can afford the 911, they will get it, not the Z06.

I think if you actually drove one...your way of thinking would completely change. To have such power and capability in your hands at such a price would make the little things that everyone complains about seem meaningless. While 5 or 7 seconds doesn't sound like a big deal, in the drivers seat, the speed difference would equate to excitment vs. the fear for one's life. Luxury is way overated. I'd love a Porsche...maybe an 1992 RS America with no door panels, straps for door handles, and zero sound deadening.

Thanks for the data .

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Luxury is way overated. I'd love a Porsche...maybe an 1992 RS America with no door panels, straps for door handles, and zero sound deadening.

Everybody has different needs, a lot of people would put luxury ahead of performance as long as you get enough sportiness. Especially in the US where speed limit is so low. And this is what Porsche is catering these days, because it is just a bigger market.

One thing we do know. Von Saurma wasn't driving the Z06. Had he been, there is no way the Z06 would have had a better time than the various Turbo's.

You hate this guy don't you Nick .

That Vette's times really are impressive

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Honestly I don't trust his results. He is a Porsche guy who knows how to drive Porsche's. It would be like Ron Fellows, the great Corvette race driver, trying to do better times in a Porsche than Von Saurma. It isn't going to happen.

So when European's hold out Von Saurma as the definitive test driver in objectivity, I am compelled to disagree.He can give good test times in Porsche's and his record proves that but I suspect most other cars he is unable to extract optimal performance times. Thus, as related to non Porsche's, his track times are worthless.

There's an additional videoclip. Nothing special, mostly slow/mid-speed, but nonetheless recommendable.

Video Clip

Those are nice times that the Z06 put up. I was one in line for a 997s late last yr and after long hard thought about whether to get the 997s or Z06, I went with the Z06. It was a very difficult decision because I love so many things about the 997. After getting a Z06 I would still love to have a 997(convertable), but I would never trade it in for one. The performance is unlike anything I have every experienced and everytime I drive the car I have a huge grin on my face to prove it. The performance is so satisfying that you completetly forget about everything else your doing except for driving the car.. Everybody shoud try to go for a test drive.. Just my .02.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Actually I dont think that the current Z06 is any real concern for Porsche. The next one, the C7 Z06, is. The
    sales.

I think, even the Z06 might be a problem for Porsche.

I will not buy a 997TT or any of its derivatives if it should be slower than a Corvette. If I spend far in excess of Euro 150k for a new sportscar it has to be the fastest available. No need for expensive underperformers (like the Carrera GT was).

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Honestly I don't trust his results. He is a Porsche guy who knows how to drive Porsche's. It would be like Ron Fellows, the great Corvette race driver, trying to do better times in a Porsche than Von Saurma. It isn't going to happen.

So when European's hold out Von Saurma as the definitive test driver in objectivity, I am compelled to disagree.He can give good test times in Porsche's and his record proves that but I suspect most other cars he is unable to extract optimal performance times. Thus, as related to non Porsche's, his track times are worthless.

You have really no clue about what you are writing

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

You have really no clue about what you are writing

Absolutely agree. Sesame street already over?

Before you give qualified comments you should realize that the only Porsche you have to know how to drive is the 911, neither the Boxster, Cayenne or CGT need special "Porsche" skills.

So please tell me any other driver who has driven so many different cars on the exact same tracks and can give sufficient information on this variety. I am happy to read about that guy as well, Nick!

Besides that, von Saurma is editor for a whole different magazine...

I will acknowledge that Von Saurma has familiarity with the Ring. But to conclude Von Saurma is able to extract the best time for all the cars he drives on the Ring is just plain nonsense. If that was the case, all car manufacturer's would turn their cars over to him. We all know that is not the case.

Of course, this is coming from someone that is clueless.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:Actually I dont think that the current Z06 is any real concern for Porsche. The next one, the C7 Z06, is. The
    sales.

Jim - Is the LS-9 the one rumored to be a 6.2L V-8 with 3/valve heads and a supercharger?

It has 4 valve heads and yes, the Z06 version will have a supercharger. Both the base and Z06 versions will also have direct injection and variable valve timing. They have to go with DI and VVT to meet 2008 emissions standards and the side benefit is more power.

Expect a shocking hp number for the Z06 version and a much higher redline then the current LS7 engine.

Got to give the Z06 credit , it sure goes like ""sheet off a shovel"" , regardless if these figures are accurate or not...

throt...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    It has 4 valve heads and yes, the Z06 version will have a supercharger. Both the base and Z06 versions will also have direct injection and variable valve timing. They have to go with DI and VVT to meet 2008 emissions standards and the side benefit is more power.

Expect a shocking hp number for the Z06 version and a much higher redline then the current LS7 engine.

Considering how expensive all those goodies are going to be, they might as well make it into a felly-fledged supercar and improve the interior to a high standard and don't cut corners. That would make the car sell really well.
    However, I'm seriously wondering how long the horsepower will keep on climbing, especially at $75 per barrel?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I will acknowledge that Von Saurma has familiarity with the Ring. But to conclude Von Saurma is able to extract the best time for all the cars he drives on the Ring is just plain nonsense. If that was the case, all car manufacturer's would turn their cars over to him. We all know that is not the case.

Of course, this is coming from someone that is clueless.

On the other hand , Nick, the fact that a journalist might be thought to be able to extract the best times from all the cars he drives could be a good reason for some manufacturers NOT to turn their products over to him.

However, I personally do not contend that von Saurma will get the best time possible from any car on the 'Ring - there are faster drivers out there. But he has enough experience with all types of street-legal sports cars for his personal best times to be comparable with each other as a measure of the abilities of the cars.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Considering how expensive all those goodies are going to be, they might as well make it into a felly-fledged supercar and improve the interior to a high standard and don't cut corners. That would make the car sell really well.
    However, I'm seriously wondering how long the horsepower will keep on climbing, especially at $75 per barrel?

Expect a drastically improved interior on the C7 vette. GM knows its turning off customers at that price point and Lutz
    the product czar came on board after the C6 interior had already been written in stone. Changes ahead. Look at the
    new cadillac STS. GM is buying leather interiors for it from Germany. The Vette is next inline to get German leather and high end switch gear.

That's a fantastic time for the ZO6!

The other two cars put down impressive times also. The SL55 was faster than both the 996 Turbo and GT3, while the little M Roadster wasn't even a second slower than the Porsches.

Says a lot for the SL55 considering, its weight and automatic gearbox.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Says a lot for the SL55 considering, its weight and automatic gearbox.

I think it says a lot to do with generations of technology.

Each generation, the premier sports cars get bested by luxo-box GTs 5 years later etc...

Technology will continue to pummel the past, its inevitable.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

sales.

I will not buy a 997TT or any of its derivatives if it should be slower than a Corvette. If I spend far in excess of Euro 150k for a new sportscar it has to be the fastest available. No need for expensive underperformers (like the Carrera GT was).

Expensive underperformer? Are you kidding me? The CGT holds the lap record for production cars at the ring. The fact that ferrari has not tested the Enzo there should raise more than a few eyeballs. If you go by Porsche's claimed straight line specs then maybe yo could call it an underperformer ( they said 0-60 in 3.9 yeah...in the wet, most mags tested it at 3.5) however it could almost match the Enzo's straight line pace and it handled better. By the way the spectacular enzo 0-60 times were acheived with launch control which could only be used 6 times for the life of the clutch. I know this is a rant, but don't ever disrespect the greatest car of all time (imo).

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

sales.

Expensive underperformer? Are you kidding me? The CGT holds the lap record for production cars at the ring. The fact that ferrari has not tested the Enzo there should raise more than a few eyeballs. If you go by Porsche's claimed straight line specs then maybe yo could call it an underperformer ( they said 0-60 in 3.9 yeah...in the wet, most mags tested it at 3.5) however it could almost match the Enzo's straight line pace and it handled better. By the way the spectacular enzo 0-60 times were acheived with launch control which could only be used 6 times for the life of the clutch. I know this is a rant, but don't ever disrespect the greatest car of all time (imo).

Just to name some examples:

- the official 0-200 kph time has not been confirmed in any German magazin test I know. All cars tested were slower.
    - the 0-300 kph time is ca. 8 seconds slower (!) than the comparable Enzo number; even the SLR is several seconds quicker 0-300 than the GT...
    - 7:32 is only about 10 seconds better than the GT2 Mk2 figure; also, cars designed and built by small niche players like Koenigsegg or Pagani are as quick or even quicker on the NBR.

I really consider the GT an underperformer for its price

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803587 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448644 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266243 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90129 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885943 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833638 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM