Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

noone1:

And so what happens when you have a 10 year old car whose tires/compounds don't exist anymore? How long do you think they're going to supply 2005 era compounds and tire specs?

This is truly a problem...indeed. The Carrera GT is a very good example of a tire issue, same goes to the 959 for example.

The idea that different tires will react so poorly at the limit is irrelevant, because all tires react poorly at their limit. That's why it's called the limit.

Every tire has a different limit, also based on it's compound mixture and profile/tread stiffness. Smiley

If you crash your R8, it's not because you used MPSS instead of Corsas, or vice versa. It's because you're a moron and were going to crash your R8 anyway, regardless of your tires. The limits of all these tires are so high that you literally have to be doing something stupid to have issues with them.

Wrong. Example: What happens if the tire you are using instantly switches to heavy oversteer, while the OEM certified/approved tire would have a different behavior, like a smooth transition to oversteer, so you can predict and adapt to it? I really suggest a trip to a tire testing facility to realize what a compound mixture change can mean for a tire.

The manufacturer certification not only guarantees a certain behavior of the tire...it guarantees that particular behavior over the whole production period, which is a huge plus. A PZero from four years ago is not the same tire produced by Pirellii right now. There have been changes. A PZero N1 in a particular size from four years ago is the same PZero N1 in that very same size you get now. No change. Zero. Zilch. Huge advantage.

Oh, did I mention top speeds? Some tires are approved for a certain speed, others aren't. 

I had a huge surprise when I tried to get a tire certification from Pirelli and Michelin for my GT500, I think I wrote about that. Had a direct contact to their tire engineers, even got letters and certificates but the highly increased tire pressures really sucked on the GT500. Michelin even denied me a Vmax certification for the MSS, for the GT500 the speed would be limited to 290 kph on the MSS at the given tire pressure. Since my car documents were stating 322 or 324 kph (I don't remember anymore), it was illegal to drive this particular tire. I would need to change the car documents and program an artificial speed limit to the car. Smiley

But yes, for you...everything is simple. Black and white. Smiley Smiley

Speaking of tire pressures: I am driving 3.4 and 2.8 on my R8 when driving over 270 kph and with a passenger and some luggage. Do you know how the R8 feels with those high tire pressures on curvy country roads? Smiley 

When driving alone (mostly not on the Autobahn but sometimes it cannot be avoided), I often limit myself to 270 kph (Autobahn) and drive 2.4 bar front and 2.2 bar in the rear. Car feels like on rails, amazing. When tires are warm enough (around 35-45°C), grip is incredible. Once it gets over 60°C, the tires start to feel smeary. This is when some semi-slicks would actually start to make sense but usually my tire temperature on country roads stays below 55°C.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Just stick a GoPro on your car already and show us your Tokyo street drifting around the Alps. That seems to be your typical usage for your cars. I look forward to seeing how well the car handles snap oversteer with R01 tires that would surely have ended in flying off the cliff without them...

So far all we've seen is you white knuckled on the autobahn in a straight line.

RC:

...Today I found out why: Apparently, the Audi R8, similar to the Huracan, is totaled(!) when hit from the side. The space frame repair (carbon part) is apparently impossible. Probably also one reason why someone should not buy this car but lease it. angry

Btw: This seems to be valid for other supersportscars as well, one reason why many sportscar enthusiasts may have problems in the future. This whole insurance problem seems to be new for 2017 since they did a new evaluation of the risks. Valid for Germany only, can't talk about other countries.

This is exactly the big problem with CFRP structural parts on street cars. Same goes in aerospace, which Boeing is experiencing with the dreamliner at the moment: full carbon fuselage is all nice and dandy, untill you have to scrap an entire airframe because some idiot with a luggage truck dents a fuselage section. In addition, impact damages can go fully unnoticed from the outside whilst having completely destroyed the sturctural properties... So don't trust a second hand car with structural CFRP parts that "looks ok".

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

RC:

Wrong. Example: What happens if the tire you are using instantly switches to heavy oversteer, while the OEM certified/approved tire would have a different behavior, like a smooth transition to oversteer, so you can predict and adapt to it? I really suggest a trip to a tire testing facility to realize what a compound mixture change can mean for a tire.
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

If you can sense that on a normal road, can't help but thinking that you are driving way too fast...

noone1:

Just stick a GoPro on your car already and show us your Tokyo street drifting around the Alps. That seems to be your typical usage for your cars. I look forward to seeing how well the car handles snap oversteer with R01 tires that would surely have ended in flying off the cliff without them...

No, this is sometimes my typical usage but lately, I am more of a precision driver. Have you seen the video from Italy? Pay attention to the lane. Most drivers usually drive like a mess on such roads (a good example is that idiot motorcycle guy in that group in front of me who doesn't seem to know how to take curves properly). Smiley

Here is the link to the video, nothing spectacular because I was with my kid in the car (one day my son, the other one my daughter).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLGM6AZPbQU I love those pass roads in Italy and Austria because you don't really have to go over the legal limit to have fun. With (responsible and skilled) friends, it is even more fun. 

Btw: Believe it or not, I was even using my turning signal when I changed lanes. Smiley

So far all we've seen is you white knuckled on the autobahn in a straight line.

Doing over 300 kph doesn't require any skills or any white knuckles when there is no traffic. Smiley 

--

Sorry RC but you have been driving fast for a very long time. I get very uneasy driving above 240kph and I consider myself a good driver. Even in Germany driving above 300kph is not given to anyone, especially when you hit some curves and when the weather is not 100% perfect.

SciFrog:
    RC:

--

If you can sense that on a normal road, can't help but thinking that you are driving way too fast...

I am not driving over the legal speed limit if this is what you're implying... Smiley I have zero points on my license. Most of my friends have points and/or have already lost their license once. This happens when the emotions win over the brain. Smiley

There are so many nice and curvy roads in Bavaria, especially in the mountains but also in Austria and Italy (just ask Whoopsy, he already did some nice tours around Lake Garda and other places or ask our Swiss and Austrian friends). Some people take a curve at 50 kph, others at 100 kph...so... But no driving over the speed limit. Smiley Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Sorry RC but you have been driving fast for a very long time. I get very uneasy driving above 240kph and I consider myself a good driver. Even in Germany driving above 300kph is not given to anyone, especially when you hit some curves and when the weather is not 100% perfect.

Trust me, when I drive over 300 kph, everything needs to be perfect. Weather, no wind, dry, decent asphalt temperatures, no traffic, daylight (many are doing over 300 kph at night, which is just stupid) and so on. I love driving fast, I don't have a death wish. Also, car needs to be in perfect condition (tire pressure, I also check on wheel bolts and if there are tire damages when I pick up my car at the garage since it is with a semi-public access). 

Also, I need to feel well. Smiley My wife was once angry at me because I was driving too slow (well, around 160-180). I didn't feel too well (nausea) but we had an appointment in Munich. At some point, I told her to shut up if she wants to make that appointment alive. Smiley Since that time, she doesn't say a word anymore but yes, my wife never complains that I'm too fast. Thank god. 

--

100kph is over the speed limit... Small roads are usually 80kph or 90kph no? Anyhow if you drive that fast you leave no room for error or unexpected event...

And how do you explain cars that don't have manufacturer specific tires? Their computers are just better? I guess Porsche should hire some of the brilliant engineers at GM and the Corvette team to write their software...

A. They are not intended to be driven fast, and don't normally go so far that they are near the limits of the tires. 
    B. Their chassis are tuned to be "safe" in almost all circumstances, because they don't need to be sporty

Changing the handling characteristics doesn't mean it makes the car worse.

Correct, I never said so.

...People have been running non-manufacturer specific tires for ages with no problems at all.

True, some people never run into problems. However, when you willingly decide to put other tires under your car, you also consciously take the decision that the behavior may change, and that you are responsible for that.

Do you think all the track junkies out there are just using stock tires? Just go to the track and see how many manufacturer spec tires you see.

No, I expect that they put all kinds of tires on them, since their car is their toy and the track their playground. This is exactly the place to experiment with different tires, temperatures, etc.

My dealer had no problem putting MPSS on my R8. There were no warranty issues. Everyone and their brother replaced the R8 with all sorts of stuff and they all lived happily ever after.

Why would he have a problem with that? If the customer wants it, why not? I am surprised though that there were no warranty issues, especially in the lawsuit culture of the US... I wouldn't want to gamble with it, but if you do, be my guest.

A car does not burst into flames because you didn't use N0 or whatever tires.

True, and nobody ever said that. What I said is that I was surprised that you think changing the tire type does not affect handling, that's all. Smiley

--

Italy video looks fun, but my point is that you were driving more or less normal, with nothing excessive. You could have done that with 14 inch snow tires wrapped in chains.

I maintain that for your and just about everyone else's driving, you can run just about any tire you want.

SciFrog:

100kph is over the speed limit... Small roads are usually 80kph or 90kph no? Anyhow if you drive that fast you leave no room for error or unexpected event...

Most country roads are 100 kph here. With a few exceptions or parts. Same goes to Austria. Italy has 90 and rare 110.

Trust me, around pass roads, 100 kph are more than enough. When tourists are there, you can be happy if you can actually drive that fast. Smiley Had a couple of cars doing 30-50 kph on some pass roads (limit somewhere between 70 and 100 kph usually or even less) and I just couldn't pass. Smiley

--

SciFrog:
    RC:

--

It doesn't need to be because of driving fast, it could be because you are driving show but you suddenly have to violently maneuver to avoid an accident, then you wish you had tires that are tested on your car to react correctly for this situations. Its all great until shit happens, no matter if you are captain slow and never noticed any difference with different tires. You shoild be able to notice even when the pressures are off. Do you guys even test you cars? Last week it was raining and I quickly took the opportunity of a commute to test the grip and how the tires  behaved in the wet on roundabouts when provoked (BTW the PZeros N1 improved over the N0 but still oversteer a bit too easily in wet even when you expect understeer instead). The fact that we are discussing this on a forum like this is suprising.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:
    RC:

--

It doesn't need to be because of driving fast, it could be because you are driving show but you suddenly have to violently maneuver to avoid an accident, then you wish you had tires that are tested on your car to react correctly for this situations. Its all great until shit happens, no matter if you are captain slow and never noticed any difference with different tires. You shoild be able to notice even when the pressures are off. Do you guys even test you cars? Last week it was raining and I quickly took the opportunity of a commute to test the grip and how the tires  behaved in the wet on roundabouts when provoked (BTW the PZeros N1 improved over the N0 but still oversteer a bit too easily in wet even when you expect understeer instead). The fact that we are discussing this on a forum like this is suprising.

Smiley 

--

Joost:

I never said it doesn't effect handling. I'm saying it doesn't make it undesirable or problematic. Putting more or less better tires on your car will just improve the performance. The old Pzeros sucked. Whether MPSS were in perfect spec or not, they were simply better all around.

As long as the tires fit and are high performance tires, then you're fine. Whether it grips or gives a little more is rather irrelevant IMO. If you have a desired characteristic, buy tires that do that. If you just want the best performance and grip, then buy the tires that provide that, whether they have an N0, R0, or MC label or not.

noone1:

Italy video looks fun, but my point is that you were driving more or less normal, with nothing excessive. You could have done that with 14 inch snow tires wrapped in chains.

You are kidding, right? Smiley

I maintain that for your and just about everyone else's driving, you can run just about any tire you want.

I give up. Maybe you should just join us for one of our drives. I bet I can make you pee your pants. Deal? Smiley Smiley

You are in Germany now, right?! 

--

I'm in the US, and then Spain, then Germany, but I don't have any cars in Germany.

I pee my pants when anyone is driving fast and I'm the passenger. I don't trust people, nor do I want the responsibility for others if they're the passengers. I'll keep up with you in my own car, by myself... or I'll just lag behind. I have little interest in riding shotgun with someone who is trying not to crash...

Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:
    RC:

--

Are you asking if I speed up deliberately above a reasonable speed regardless of  what the speed limit is while driving in a roundabout to see if I can feel if the tire pressure is off? Smiley

noone1:
    Joost:

I never said it doesn't effect handling. I'm saying it doesn't make it undesirable or problematic. Putting more or less better tires on your car will just improve the performance. The old Pzeros sucked. Whether MPSS were in perfect spec or not, they were simply better all around.

As long as the tires fit and are high performance tires, then you're fine. Whether it grips or gives a little more is rather irrelevant IMO. If you have a desired characteristic, buy tires that do that. If you just want the best performance and grip, then buy the tires that provide that, whether they have an N0, R0, or MC label or not.

OK, I partly agree (as in; they do affect handling, and you can choose to do so). Smiley
    I know I myself would be too much of a chicken with cars like these to buy other tires than the recommended ones, simply because my driving abilities and knowledge of different tires and such cars is not good enough to make an educated decision.

--

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:
    RC:

--

Are you asking if I speed up deliberately above a reasonable speed regardless of  what the speed limit is while driving in a roundabout to see if I can feel if the tire pressure is off? Smiley

Don't you know, real drivers like to test the limits of their car on public roads in the rain? What kind of enthusiast are you?!

The kind who bought its last 5 cars without even a test drive blush

SciFrog:

RC, you drive in extreme conditions and push your car's performance. In the US, 99.99% of the people don't. Have you ever heard of a story where tire swap were responsible for an accident on a sport car? (Not talking about using old or worn out tires).

Do you really think the driver would ever blame his tire choice? Smiley If he survived the accident that is. Smiley

Of course I drive differently than most drivers but aren't many of us here on Rennteam doing the same? Smiley

--

noone1:

I'm in the US, and then Spain, then Germany, but I don't have any cars in Germany.

I pee my pants when anyone is driving fast and I'm the passenger. I don't trust people, nor do I want the responsibility for others if they're the passengers. I'll keep up with you in my own car, by myself... or I'll just lag behind. I have little interest in riding shotgun with someone who is trying not to crash...

Over 30 years crash free and I plan to keep it that way. Well...actually 32 years if I am precise. Smiley Only powerful and fast cars but I also have to admit that the first 10 years or so were...pure luck. Smiley

I am very anal about driving, for me it is some sort of art. I would never drive with a stranger (or my kids) at the limit but you don't need the limit to scare people off. Smiley I know a few roads in the countryside where some of the parts look scarier and more difficult to drive on than they actually are. Already had some fun with two of my wife's friends and my father in-law (may he RIP, he died last year...but don't worry, not because of my driving Smiley Smiley).

I am a very bad passenger as well, so I feel with you. Smiley

--

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:
    RC:

--

You dont need to go ken block to notice tire pressures not yo mention that why would you want to since we can all check the pressures digitaly nowadays on the dash Smiley however your comment tells me you (and of couse noone1)  are not aware that when the tire pressures are low, the steering gets a bit more sluggish and noticeable less sharp as well as thevride softer than normal, and all this simply on ordinary under-the-speed limit driving... again surprising. No wonder any tire is the same too Smiley

--

Now you mix things. Low tire pressure affects any car, any tire and is dangerous. Of course the ride is affected by extreme tire pressure changes and it is noticeable. But large change were not in the context of this discussion. Anyhow all cars have TPMS nowadays like you said. And don't get me wrong, I have always used OEM tires on all my cars, but I agree with noone1 that unless you drive borderline safe on public roads, most tires are fine as long as they respect the load rating.

I think we are discussing too many extreme situations.  I think the question really is whether changing to a reputable tire like a Michelin PSS or P4S would cause unpredictable / unsafe handling or not.  It is a calculated risk.

For people who track their vehicles, changing to other brand tires is very very common.  Personally on Porsche GT cars, I do not see any harm in changing from the approved Michelin or Dunlop to say a Bridgestone RE-71R.  It is a very popular tire for people that track and enough reports have come back with no ill effects, that I am not worried about it in that instance from a safety perspective.

For your particular car and tire choice, you may feel differently. 

SciFrog:

Now you mix things. Low tire pressure affects any car, any tire and is dangerous. Of course the ride is affected by extreme tire pressure changes and it is noticeable. But large change were not in the context of this discussion. Anyhow all cars have TPMS nowadays like you said. And don't get me wrong, I have always used OEM tires on all my cars, but I agree with noone1 that unless you drive borderline safe on public roads, most tires are fine as long as they respect the load rating.

Until you are forced into a situation were the tires are taken to the extreme of its abilities, whether you have to suddenly perform the moose maneuver because of another car or object, or you are caught in bad weather conditions, or you simply use you "sports"car for a spirited drive on a mountain road... its up to the sportcar's manufacturer in conjunction with the tire manufacturer to tell you which tire is good for your car and test it for you in conditions and infrastructures you will never be able to do.

In the track its a different situation because its a controlled environment where you gradually take the tires to the limit in a known track lap after lap, in that case you are actually more or less safely testing the tires yourself so its more OK to experiment with tires, its confined to the track, just like its OK to take the car to the limit in the track than in the streets.

--

If a giant truck can do the moose maneuver, I'm pretty sure an exotic car can do it on any tires in existence. The idea that changing from one super high performance to another is suddenly going to fail miserably in even an extreme situation is highly unlikely. Modern TC/ESP are more than capable of dealing with these variables and the chance of you being on the absolute edge of failure is highly unlikely. You'll either be under it or way over it. You are not going to find yourself going .00001 % over the limit.

In Iron Man, where they used an R8, the stunt people had trouble getting the car to roll over. I don't think the trick to getting it to roll was to put on MPSS...

It's not a pass or fail, its a matter of degrees, same could be said about brakes, etc. Bottom line is, why do you think all these manufacturers even bother doing it? you know more than their engineers now like you know about heart rate monitoring? 

I know you don't use your sportscar to 40% of its abilities because of where you live and driving style, but that is not the case for everybody else. 

--

They do it how they do it because at the end of the day the car has to come with tires on it. They can't test and tune a car without tires on the wheels. That does not mean that the car can't accommodate other brands at the same limits.

I'd also raise this scenario: How do you know off-spec Trofeos wouldn't save you where something like N0 Pzeros let you lose traction and crash? Sword cuts both ways. You show me a stock tire that saves you one way, I'll show you an alternate tire than saves you another way.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689667 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409309 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255789 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235012 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM