Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thought I needed a band-aid turned out to be heart surgery.

Well I was driving (black/black 997s) and heard a rattle coming from the back, didn't sound bad but luckily I was only a half a mile from the dealership. Service guy gave me a loaner and said he would call me later.

After a couple of hours in my beautiful new Hundi (sp), I get a call from the dealership and it turns out the Intermediate Shaft (or the bearing that holds it in place, heard two different stories) took a dump. They are going to replace the entire engine and it should be up and running by Monday of next week.

Couple of questions:

1. Do I have to do the break in again? I am guessing yes, but this time around I am only going to do it for the first 1,000 miles.

2. The dealership said that it will be a new engine and not a refurbished unit. Should I verify this?

3. Will my warranty change, shouldn't the engine portion start from new?

4. Generally, if you had this car with 9,000 miles and the factory offered you a new engine would you want it? I am trying to figure out if this is a good thing.

5. This is pretty major, am I missing anything? Any advice would be welcome/appreciated.

I really am not complaining, I love the car and still would argue it's the best quality sports car out there (beat the hell out of my 964 with never a problem). Stuff happens, and it will all be better soon.

Re: Thought I needed a band-aid turned out to be heart surge

Yea, you'll have to break it in again. It'll be brand new. Ask the dealer about the warranty thing. I'd just let it slide so that it doesn't start to raise questions when it's time to sell. It's sort of unfortunate but this kind of stuff happens so just make the best of it.

Re: Thought I needed a band-aid turned out to be heart surgery.

sorry to hear .... do you think this is the RMS issue???

Don't sweat it, just stinks to have to do break in again. Personally I wouldn't shy away from buying a used 997 with a dealer-installed full engine replacement at 9K miles-- could be viewed both positively and negatively.

Get a written commitment that the engine warranty will start anew, the fair thing would be for Porsche to 'reset' the warranty on this replacement engine to carry full 4yr/50K mi starting now-- I hope that would be standard practice? If the warranty restart is not automatic, I would lobby right up the hierarchy to get that in writing.

Not necessary, but strictly for peace of mind, the only other thing I would do if it were my car going in for major surgery-- forced by my obssessive nature, dealers probably hate meddling customers like me-- would be to stop in to the dealer tomorrow or sometime before the new unit ships and have them introduce you to the technician who will be primarily responsible for the install...... maybe show you on the lift the area of the failed half-shaft, ask him a few questions...... it always pays to have even a minimal face to face rapport with the tech's I have found over the years, show that I'm at least conscientious even if I don't really know what I'm talking about . My local Porsche Club of America chapter monthly mag does a feature in each issue on area dealers' veteran P-tech's so I already know the tech at my dealer with 19-years experience by name who I would ask to do the work if I ever found my car needing major surgery like this, but that's just me. FWIW maybe a quick call your local PCA chairperson would yield the name of the most experienced tech at your dealer (if u asked the dealer I'm sure the dealer would advise that all tech's are equally capable). Good luck, keep the board updated on what they say abt warranty, etc.

I remember reading two or three past postings on 997 web boards of owners who had full replacement engines, hope they chime in here.

It's just a PITA. If you now keep your car beyond warrenty it's a blessing (9000 free miles on engine). BTW, if you keep any of our cars car beyond warrenty it's very brave.

Conclusion: it's not a big deal either way except for the breakin which I would ignore after 1000 miles. I.e. follow reccos until 1000, go up to 5000rmp after 1000, go full out after 1500 miles... . Just my two cents.

Well, it's amazing that such things would happen to an expensive exotic car. But it happens, I have seen 996TT getting a new engine at 1200 miles, mine died with 30,000 and was towed away in the middle of a shopping center

You will however get a full warranty as if your car was new. Porsche sells new engines with 12K warranty but in your case your car was still under warranty and it's a recent model and you shall have a full warranty

No worries my friend, your baby will be home with a new stronger than before. I am sorry to see you go through this, but these things happen. The good news is that you will get it back soon and yes drive it gently for the 1st 1000 miles but not too gentle

maybe you should try to add x51 and sports exhaust and ask for a special 'compensation price'.....

It falls under the "sometimes life sucks" category, but if you believe in statistics, the odds of you ever having a serious problem with the replacement engine are damn low...

Also, be glad it happened now, and not three years from now. If your engine is going to fail you, you'd rather it blow into a guhdzillion pieces well-within your warranty, than have that "little rattle" start happening years down the road.

It's hard to keep your chin up when these things happen, but you'll soon forget about it.

Regarding break-in, realize that it'll be a ton easier to take it easy on the car NOW that you've got 9,000 miles under your belt. You've already had plenty of time experiencing what the car can do at its limits. It's hell when the car is brand-new, like Chinese water torture, because it's new and you're dying to have the full-boat experience. But once you've gotten past that, going back to an easy-breezy pace for 1,000 miles or-so will fly by without you noticing it much....

Quote:
    Bull&Bear said:
    sorry to hear .... do you think this is the RMS issue???

The Intermediate Shaft failure has nothing to do with RMS.

tpfannes, may I ask how you broke in the first engine?
    Drove it like you stole it, by the book, or sort of babied it?

SAME EXACT FOR ME @ 10000 Miles with a 2005 997S (Jan 05 Delivery)

I couldn't believe it when I saw this post. I had the same Intermediate Shaft failure at just over 10K Miles about 3 weeks ago.

I was driving behind a bus at around 30MPH when I heard a odd sound, I thought it was a really bad flat on my passenger rear tire. I stopped at a stop sign and turned on to a side road. After stopping the car and getting out, the noise was still happening, at this point it almost sounded like a fan belt, I go to look under the car and oil is literally pouring out - not a little stream, but all the oil and it seemed all at once. I quickly turned the car off and called roadside. The weird thing was I got the car stopped at the exact right moment, there was no oil at that stop sign nor any trail of oil behind the car. The dealer said I turned it off so quickly that there wasn't even a error code in the system.

I had the car back with a new engine within a week. Now I have to say, after seeing how far a proper break-in got my first engine, we'll see how long I can hold out on this one, I'm at about 300miles currently.

I just posted pictures at my Land Rover site:
    http://www.roverhaul.com/galleries/911engine

They were taken with my Treo 700, so they aren't the best, but you get the idea.

One plus, I figure I'll save or at least postpone paying about $400 on my 15K Service!

I wonder if there was related batch of "bad" engines...it would be interesting to compare VIN's to see if your cars where manufactured at the same time

As far as the breakin, I took my owners manual to be the word of god. I had a little fun starting after 1500 miles, but for the most part I really took it easy on the car.

One of my fondest memories was watching the ODO hit 2000 downshiting to 3rd at 70 and letting it go. Wow, what a great car.

tim

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Not necessary, but strictly for peace of mind, the only other thing I would do if it were my car going in for major surgery-- forced by my obssessive nature, dealers probably hate meddling customers like me-- would be to stop in to the dealer tomorrow or sometime before the new unit ships and have them introduce you to the technician who will be primarily responsible for the install...... maybe show you on the lift the area of the failed half-shaft, ask him a few questions...... it always pays to have even a minimal face to face rapport with the tech's I have found over the years, show that I'm at least conscientious even if I don't really know what I'm talking about . My local Porsche Club of America chapter monthly mag does a feature in each issue on area dealers' veteran P-tech's so I already know the tech at my dealer with 19-years experience by name who I would ask to do the work if I ever found my car needing major surgery like this, but that's just me. FWIW maybe a quick call your local PCA chairperson would yield the name of the most experienced tech at your dealer (if u asked the dealer I'm sure the dealer would advise that all tech's are equally capable). Good luck, keep the board updated on what they say abt warranty, etc.

Good advice, I think its probably a good idea to have your face associated with a job as big as this one. I met the tech today and he showed me the new engine and I commented that I was glad it was new. To which he replied, "it is new but you would never be able to tell, the refurbished units look almost exactly like the new ones". Kinda interesting.

He is droping the transmission today (to get the old engine out), and when he gets it out he is going to call me and show me exactly what failed. I am a geek, because I am really excited about this. If anyone is interested I will take some pictures.

Spoke to the service advisor and they will not do a new warranty on the engine, it runs along side the rest of the car. Might push the matter a little after I get her back.

Well Monday I start my break in (again), though it will be easier this time around.

have a good weekend everyone.

tim

Better a new engine than a stripped one with parts replaced don't you think?

i seem to remeber when they had the crank case problems on early 996's and 986's it was a straight new replacement engine every time. I seem to remeber they send them back to the Stuttgart for investigation. Although that may have changed.

Good luck second time round.

I agree with john999s, I would perfer to have a new engine if I were you. Just remember cars are made by man and issues will always happen. Luckly you where not stranded on the side of the road somewhere when it happened.

Does anyone know, what is the cause of the Intermediate Shaft failures.

jb

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409896 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235344 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858614 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774845 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM