Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Will the TIP 997 TT run 11.6 in the Quarter Mile

I got the mailer from Porsche like many other People on this Forum and it says the Tip runs 11.6 in the quarter and 3.4 0-60. Where was this tested? was it with 1 gallon of gas in the tank? When the Magsazines get a hold of it will it perform as well or should we expect a 12 second Quarter.I am personally "Agitated" that Porsche hasn't released the TT to magazines for testing, considering that some Forum members cars are already built and being shipped.

Re: Will the TIP 997 TT run 11.6 in the Quarter Mile

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    I got the mailer from Porsche like many other People on this Forum and it says the Tip runs 11.6 in the quarter and 3.4 0-60. Where was this tested? was it with 1 gallon of gas in the tank? When the Magsazines get a hold of it will it perform as well or should we expect a 12 second Quarter.I am personally "Agitated" that Porsche hasn't released the TT to magazines for testing, considering that some Forum members cars are already built and being shipped.

It will do AT LEAST 11.6. Don't worry about it.

How fast is the CGT in the quarter mile?

wait .. a CGT runs 11.4 , a ENZO 11.3 i dont think that a 997TT can do 11.6.. for me its a little crazy. for me the tip will be not faster than the manual ,like porsche says.
    for me its just a way to sell more tip.

MY 997 TT: cobalt blue/beige, manual with turbo package

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    wait .. a CGT runs 11.4 , a ENZO 11.3 i dont think that a 997TT can do 11.6.. for me its a little crazy. for me the tip will be not faster than the manual ,like porsche says.

I believe someone indicated that the 997TT beat the CGT time around the Hockeheim. If true, the Turbo is very impressive for the money. I just cannot get past its ugliness.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

I believe someone indicated that the 997TT beat the CGT time around the Hockeheim. If true, the Turbo is very impressive for the money. I just cannot get past its ugliness.

C'mon Nick! As a lawyer you should know that justice is blind, especially when giving the Ferrari looks more credit than is due. So just extend the blindness a little further and PRESTO - problem solved!

Quote:
    xandi911 said:

997TT-TipS will be able to do a low-11 quarter because:
    1. VTG turbo's will provide high-torque at low revs helping launch,
    2. TipS tranny (as discussed here ad nauseum ) will enable the car, with throttle pinned to the floor, CONSTANT high torque even during torque conversion through (? two) gear changes and with very fast gear change,
    3. PTM electronically (through communication via the ECU) will provide maximal torque to all four wheels during the quarter mile run.

Face it guys, computers are "dumb," they only "think" as well as they are programmed, BUT they are FAST thinkers, and in the game of fast thinking, like during a quarter mile run in an AWD car with a computer-controlled transmission "talking to" a computer controlled engine, the computer will win. Remember the IBM computer (I think it was called "Big Blue" ) that almost always beat that chess champion? Sure, Porsche will market the TipS. But they wouldn't get away with fabrication of the Tip's abilities-the car mags (and all of us here on rennteam ) would rip them apart.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

The 997 Turbo Tiptronic with Sport Chrono is quick, VERY quick. I mentioned it in another post that it comes pretty close to Pagani Zonda S performance from 0-125 mph. And I'm not talking about the factory claim of the Pagani but the recently Sport Auto tested 11.4(?) seconds. Funny enough, the Zonda is using the Carrera GT tire size AND the same Michelin tires with N0/N1 classification.

The 997 Turbo Tiptronic Sport Chrono is more than a second faster from 0-125 mph than the F430 (tested by Sport Auto). Of course I can compare only Porsche factory claims because we don't have real world review data yet. But don't worry, various car magazines already got the chance to put their hands on cars and sooner or later, we'll see a nice review with numbers from them. My only concern is: as I assume that most car journalists don't realize the performance difference between the Tip and manual, most reviewed cars will be equipped with a manual tranny. And of course the performance figures, especially straight line figures, may disappoint a few people. To explain it again: the incredible straight line performance figures floating around the net are 997 TT Tip figures. The Sport Chrono adds a little bit more juice to them but not very much. Around 0.6-0.8 seconds better performance from 0-125 mph, our rumors aren't too precise I'm afraid.

I don't have any valid 1/4 Mile time as a "rumor", so I can't say much about it. But one thing is for sure: almost no car on this planet is faster than a 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono from standstill to aprox. 130 kph (81 mph). And this is something we know for sure.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

C'mon Nick! As a lawyer you should know that justice is blind, especially when giving the Ferrari looks more credit than is due. So just extend the blindness a little further and PRESTO - problem solved!

Crash, you have to admit it is a Rube Goldberg designed car. In order to distinguish it from all the other 911's they added a little here and there and what they ended up with is a train wreck. The car may go like hell but it better because when it slows down, the vomiting begins.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

Crash, you have to admit it is a Rube Goldberg designed car. In order to distinguish it from all the other 911's they added a little here and there and what they ended up with is a train wreck. The car may go like hell but it better because when it slows down, the vomiting begins.

Actually, the way my car is now tuned, for any of my passengers, the vomiting begins once the car speeds up-usually at around 4,000rpm's in second gear.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Actually, the way my car is now tuned, for any of my passengers, the vomiting begins once the car speeds up-usually at around 4,000rpm's in second gear.

Here all the official spec. so far.

0-60 MPH : 3.7/3.4 (Man/Tip)
    0-100 Km/h : 3.9/3.7 (Man/Tip)
    0-160 Km/h : 8.4/7.8 (Man/Tip)
    0-200 Km/h : 12.8/12.2 (Man/Tip)

0-400 m : 11.8/11.6 (Man/Tip)

80-120: 5th gear manual 3.8/3.5 sec (Standard/SCT)
    80-120: 4th gear Tip 3.5/3.3 sec (Standard/SCT)

Top Speed : 310 Km/h (Man/Tip)

And finally: Standing KM.

0-1000 meters: 21.5 Manual
    0-1000 meters: 21.1 Tiptronic

All data without Sport Chrono Turbo

The Sport Chrono Turbo should shave some time 0-100kph, if 0-200 numbers are 0.6s faster than without SCT, maybe 0.1 or 0.2s?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

The 997 Turbo Tiptronic with Sport Chrono is quick, VERY quick. I mentioned it in another post that it comes pretty close to Pagani Zonda S performance from 0-125 mph. And I'm not talking about the factory claim of the Pagani but the recently Sport Auto tested 11.4(?) seconds. Funny enough, the Zonda is using the Carrera GT tire size AND the same Michelin tires with N0/N1 classification.

The 997 Turbo Tiptronic Sport Chrono is more than a second faster from 0-125 mph than the F430 (tested by Sport Auto). Of course I can compare only Porsche factory claims because we don't have real world review data yet. But don't worry, various car magazines already got the chance to put their hands on cars and sooner or later, we'll see a nice review with numbers from them. My only concern is: as I assume that most car journalists don't realize the performance difference between the Tip and manual, most reviewed cars will be equipped with a manual tranny. And of course the performance figures, especially straight line figures, may disappoint a few people. To explain it again: the incredible straight line performance figures floating around the net are 997 TT Tip figures. The Sport Chrono adds a little bit more juice to them but not very much. Around 0.6-0.8 seconds better performance from 0-125 mph, our rumors aren't too precise I'm afraid.

I don't have any valid 1/4 Mile time as a "rumor", so I can't say much about it. But one thing is for sure: almost no car on this planet is faster than a 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono from standstill to aprox. 130 kph (81 mph). And this is something we know for sure.

How do we know that the 997 TT is faster than almost any car on the planet to 81 MPH?? I hope your right about this claim.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    How do we know that the 997 TT is faster than almost any car on the planet to 81 MPH?? I hope your right about this claim.

Because Porsche also tests the direct competitors and other cars along the development?! Sometimes there is even an exchange of cars between manufacturers, it is rumored to have happened with the Enzo and Carrera GT. This raised the mutual respect of the engineers a lot as I heard. Without the Carrera GT production ending this april, I doubt that Porsche would have allowed the 997 TT to offer this kind of straight line performance up to 100 kph.

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    wait .. a CGT runs 11.4 , a ENZO 11.3 i dont think that a 997TT can do 11.6.. for me its a little crazy.

Wow.... what on earth does that leave for the TS and GT2???

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    wait .. a CGT runs 11.4 , a ENZO 11.3 i dont think that a 997TT can do 11.6.. for me its a little crazy.

Turbo S Sport Chrono will probably do 0-200 km/h in under 11 seconds, regardless of transmission choice, while the GT2 will break Carrera GT territory. Remember, the 996 Mk2 GT2 already did 0-100 and 0-200 km/h in 3.8 and 11.8 seconds respectively. Are we lucky to live in this age or what?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

Turbo S Sport Chrono will probably do 0-200 km/h in under 11 seconds, regardless of transmission choice, while the GT2 will break Carrera GT territory. Remember, the 996 Mk2 GT2 already did 0-100 and 0-200 km/h in 3.8 and 11.8 seconds respectively. Are we lucky to live in this age or what?

Well said, it is hard t imagine how fast performance cars will be in the near future.

Well said, it is hard t imagine how fast performance cars will be in the near future.

exactly

it will be very difficult to produce supercars in the future. we are reaching physical limits already.
    who would have thought that near cgt performance will be so widely available.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    it will be very difficult to produce supercars in the future. we are reaching physical limits already.

And so soon. 10 years ago, a 400 HP car was considered exotic territory, while the McLaren with 627 was out of this world (it still is, just not for the HP figure).

yes, in the future, the better driver will win, more speed, more acceleration, more DIE

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

Physical limits of the cars and of us humans... The G's being exerted on someone under full acceleration with a car like the new Turbo will take your breath away... If it gets any worse, people will not be able to drive their cars to their full potential.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    intouch1 said:

Physical limits of the cars and of us humans... The G's being exerted on someone under full acceleration with a car like the new Turbo will take your breath away... If it gets any worse, people will not be able to drive their cars to their full potential.

Yeah. I remember drving the E55 when it came out. It's only 15 seconds 0-200 km/h, but that thing shocked me. A sedan with a large boot, that actually goes as fast as a 996 Turbo - that thing was truly something. And now the sedans are breaking the 13-second barrier, while $100k sports cars are breaking 12-second barriers...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

You certainly do make the tip sound tempting RC. I bet RC is making the decision tough for some of you Turbo Coupe folks. Kinda glad by the time the Turbo Cabriolet comes out and for me to make a definate decision, we should know more about the Tip Vs. Manual. At this point in time I couldn't see myself going the tip route but if real world tests prove to make it that much faster than the manual I may have to rethink the tip option. It's just that the Manual 997 is so darn good & fun to drive. Tough to give up the feel of a Porsche stick and on top of that pay extra for less involvement with the tip. Decisions, decsions....

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

A pretty car it aint. Hoped seeing it in real life would change my mind about the looks. It did somewhat but I still think they dropped the ball some. I will tell you it does look much more cohesive in person. When looking at the pictures I couldn't help staring at all the parts that made it different from the 996 Turbo, especially the front. But when you see the car in person the odd looking front lights meld more into the overall look and make more sense. The front fogs are more oblong in person. In person they look like they're being stretched by the G forces of speed across the front bumper (hard to explain) instead of popping out like in the pics. I'm looking forward to seeing the front of the car at night and can't help thinking that designers also had this in mind when creating what will definately be a unique look at night. In person the car is more aggressive, especially from the rear quarter. The rear quarters look insane. The rear wing is perfect. Overall I think they hit a home run with the design from the rear quarter back. Also the wheels are so much better looking in person. The wheels curve from the outside of the rim to the center where the bolts are much more dramatic. In pictures they look more flat. I mentioned this to one of the reps and he commented that he's heard the same exact thing from numerous people so I guess people have the same perspective on this. I still think they should have used the Carrera GT design for the front. It appears from pics that they are using the front bumper shape for the GT2, wish they would have done that for the Turbo. Guess I feel the same way about the F430. The front of the car is somewhat ugly, especially compared to a Stradale. We got jipped on the rear LED's too, bet they'll be out on are-fresh or the Turbo S. Bottom line though for me even though I would have liked to see a better design for the front of that car there's still nothing on the road that has all it's capabilities, that's the reason for my purchase. It has already grown on me and probably will continue getting better & better looking the closer I get to owning one. (lol) And so far looking at the Turbo Cabriolet pics, IMHO the car makes for a better looking convertible. Dun no why it just does.

If you visit www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm you will find the fastest quarter mile times ever published in reputable magazines. (sorry, I don't know how to make a link.) You will find a 2004 996ttx50 at 11.86 @ 119.91 and a 2001 996tt at 11.9 @ 115.6. Both tested by Motor Trend. Presumed stock. I have little doubt that a 997tt tip will be in the mid 11's or better.

Thanks; nice list

Quote:
    CF said:
    Here all the official spec. so far.

0-60 MPH : 3.7/3.4 (Man/Tip)
    0-100 Km/h : 3.9/3.7 (Man/Tip)
    0-160 Km/h : 8.4/7.8 (Man/Tip)
    0-200 Km/h : 12.8/12.2 (Man/Tip)

0-400 m : 11.8/11.6 (Man/Tip)

80-120: 5th gear manual 3.8/3.5 sec (Standard/SCT)
    80-120: 4th gear Tip 3.5/3.3 sec (Standard/SCT)

Top Speed : 310 Km/h (Man/Tip)

And finally: Standing KM.

0-1000 meters: 21.5 Manual
    0-1000 meters: 21.1 Tiptronic

All data without Sport Chrono Turbo

Hmm interesting... Are the official datas healthy??
    0-60 and 0-100mph times in tiptronic mod is same as PAGANI ZONDA F, which is a very very fast exotic super car in the area of Enzo, LP640, MC 12.
    I really wonder the real test times. IMO the test datas will be slightly worse than the official datas

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

I bet people were saying that about Bugattis, Mercedes, Bentley cars 80 years ago, because tires, brakes, dampers, chassis design and roads were not up to the relatively modest power outputs of the engines.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804110 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448750 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90173 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6768 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886102 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834579 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM