Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

I am not sure why your are not understanding this but apparently the Teslas were designed to have a replacable battery pack and Tesla said they would provide them. The only unknown was the cost of replacement in such a distant future (at the time 8 to 10 years). Replacement is pretty easy to do, Tesla have developed special machines to do so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

Musk has thought about many many things from the beginning that people are just thinking about now. That's where the genius was when they designed the car from the get go.

Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Actually you just swap the battery, piece of cake... It has already been planned and demonstrated...

You know about the cost of this (without subsidies from the producer as subsidies will come to an end soon)? Also, how big is the incentive to redevelop batteries for old cars? Truth is these cars will be garbage nobody will still want rather soon...

x2 the more tech based or tech dependent the car is the worse off they are going to be with time, resale, support/maintenance, etc its just like with modern electronic gadgets... you don't upgrade smartphones, laptops, etc you have to change them for new ones, and the old ones are worth nothing by then. Resale value of these cars will be on a different league than expect. Just like comparing a smartwatch with a traditional automatic watch.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

You cannot quite compare a car, especially a luxury one, to a phone. Average age of a car in the USA is now 11 years, luxury cars even more, the beauty of a Tesla is that all you need is a new battery. There will even be market for used batteries as you can simply measure how much a battery has left of useable life. 11 years ago smart touch phones did not even exist.

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Actually you just swap the battery, piece of cake... It has already been planned and demonstrated...

You know about the cost of this (without subsidies from the producer as subsidies will come to an end soon)? Also, how big is the incentive to redevelop batteries for old cars? Truth is these cars will be garbage nobody will still want rather soon...

x2 the more tech based or tech dependent the car is the worse off they are going to be with time, resale, support/maintenance, etc its just like with modern electronic gadgets... you don't upgrade smartphones, laptops, etc you have to change them for new ones, and the old ones are worth nothing by then. Resale value of these cars will be on a different league than expect. Just like comparing a smartwatch with a traditional automatic watch.

--

You cannot quite compare a car, especially a luxury one, to a phone. Average age of a car in the USA is now 11 years, luxury cars even more, the beauty of a Tesla is that all you need is a new battery. There will even be market for used batteries as you can simply measure how much a battery has left of useable life. 11 years ago smart touch phones did not even exist.

Conceptually yes you can, the battery is the least of the issues, all the tech and gyzmos is... the speed of the charging and asso hardware that newer models will have, the gadgets in the interior, the new functionalities, etc... just like an older phone, you can upgrade the OS initially but after a while that wont due, you have to upgrade to the new phone's hardware and changing its dead battery does not fix the problem, the old one will not due for anyone, it will be worthless.

--

Conceptually yes. But it doesn't really apply. Changing any part of an old phone or iPad costs more than the value of it. That is not true for a cars else mechanics would be out of a job. Charging on Teslas have not evolved since the beginnng. Central unit has marginally been improved (GSM system went from 3G to LTE, screen marginally better maybe and CPU faster but is it noticeable yet?) anyhow I can see how you just replace the central unit innards (not even the screen) and the battery and you are set for a while.E lectric power trains are much sturdier than combustion ones so are the engines. The rest is the same as other cars (brakes, tires, suspensions...). Actually in the long run a Teasla is cheaper to maintain than a regular one since it has no engine. Good luck owning a 10 year old hybrid when not only the engine falls apart but you also need a new battery which is probably not easily replacable.

I am still baffled as to how this pretty smart group of people here hasn't quite grasped what Musk has done and how he single handily revolutioned the car industry. He is a visionary who was given a blank canvas to build cars from the ground up and all the service that come around it. The others are still stuck in the past with their old structures. Dealers? Price negotiations? Big waste of time. I would buy my cars on the internet and never meet anyone if I could. I usually know almost as much as the dealer on the options anyway and have very specific ones. I just had to wait months because Mini had run out of adaptative cruise control on 2017 models... This time we didn't pull the trigger because the Tesla model we wanted did not exist (basically a non P 100kwh X model for daily driving) but now they have a faster 100D model (by 0.5s 0-60) for much less than the old P100D and updated self driving hardware. If that car existed last year we would own it now. It will be very hard to resist replacing the Macan turbo by a X 100D or the equivalent model Y.

How did changing batteries in a Tesla end up in a GT3 thread? 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Like how you would find R8 content in every thread.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Yep, we need to report that bloke Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

SmileySmiley

--

Well, to be fair, the Tesla thread is about currently eating your veggies, so...

I must say that it is pretty unbelievable how much moronic Tesla content is infecting almost all threads on rennteam.

Are Tesla die hards here are aware that rennteam is not Tesla fan forum?

Tesla ' s are not meant to be baught  but leased. That says it all. One must not look at Tesla like the old way of using / buying  cars.  Cars will be just practical / integrated transportation. You can't think the old way about them .  Eventually you will not even own your own car anymore .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

NBerry,

May be i m biased with what I read, but :

- in standard mode feels more comfortable

- the higher torque in medium rev is noticeable and allow to have pleasure without pushing hard, meaning above 7000rpm.

- I have done 400 km below 5500 rpm, had once a 8000 rpm ,  it it oooks also more metallic than previous one.

more to share this week end.i have to drive to install the tracking system.

--

997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

Gnil:.  Eventually you will not even own your own car anymore .

Exactly.  When cars are self-driving, there will be no point in owning one.  Just have a driverless Uber (or similar) pick you up.  The only cars worth owning will be track cars (get them while you can Smiley )

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

KresoF1:

I must say that it is pretty unbelievable how much moronic Tesla content is infecting almost all threads on rennteam.

This type of view in Rennteam gets me so disappointed. The same thing happened when we were posting guns and the non gun enthusiasts got their panties in a bunch. Every thread gets derailed BTW and it's part of the forums charm.

Most of you are very smart, successful, harry chested Smileyindividuals, but bring up an opposing view or post and you get dealt with as a moronSmiley

The way I see it, this is a forum for car enthusiast with a strong draw to the Porsche brand first, but we all have interest in cars and hobbies we enjoy sharing with the Rennteam members. 

In regards to Tesla (I don't own one), Elon Musk is disrupting the car industry in ways I would never imagine just 7 years ago. They may be history in 10 years (I doubt it), but it's really not the point. Everyone including our beloved Porsche brand is playing catch up in many areas.

rant offSmiley

Well said. 

Industrial societies are developing conformist "hive" cultures due to a multitude of political, social, and corporate pressures. Musk tapped into the zeitgeist and Tesla is the result. Antipathy on a forum like RT is inevitable.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

It is sad to see some people so narrow minded in this smart interesting group of people. 

So, I am narrow minded because I think that Tesla worship do not belong in this thread? That is democratic from Tesla fans?

Tesla is IMHO maybe the biggest Ponzi scheme in the business history. Yes, that is my narrow minded opinion.

And I am not again e-cars. On the contrary my wife owns e-Golf and I love to drive it around town. 

Again, this thread is about 991.2 GT3. Tesla fans will most probably demur...

rhino:
    KresoF1:

This type of view in Rennteam gets me so disappointed. The same thing happened when we were posting guns and the non gun enthusiasts got their panties in a bunch. Every thread gets derailed BTW and it's part of the forums charm.

Most of you are very smart, successful, harry chested Smileyindividuals, but bring up an opposing view or post and you get dealt with as a moronSmiley

The way I see it, this is a forum for car enthusiast with a strong draw to the Porsche brand first, but we all have interest in cars and hobbies we enjoy sharing with the Rennteam members. 

In regards to Tesla (I don't own one), Elon Musk is disrupting the car industry in ways I would never imagine just 7 years ago. They may be history in 10 years (I doubt it), but it's really not the point. Everyone including our beloved Porsche brand is playing catch up in many areas.

rant offSmiley

The issue is posting in the correct forum. There is a Tesla thread on this site. If anyone desires to discuss or post anything about Tesla, post there. My interest is the GT3 and I don't want to open the GT3 site and read about Tesla.Smiley

--

OT is in every thread on RT... Once there is a rule about respecting the thread topic I will follow it as I have followed the no politics rule. Till then no need to change anything. There was no personal attack in my posts, just pointing how some people see some possibilities of the future of our societies and other just don't see them. Maybe some here are engulfed in a sport car aficionados older crowd that they dont see what the young and the rest of the population really wants. An overvalued public company does not make it a Ponzi scheme, a Ponzi scheme implies fraud. The stock is really expensive and I would not buy it anywhere close to here even if I could.

Worship? if that what you call admiring the vision and business sense of a person who has done amazing things for our society. Is anyone following hyperloop (lets go even more OT broken heart cause sorry but I find it far more interesting than the uber expensive not limited production ricer 991 GT2RS with a souped up 991 turbo engine and which has enormous competition from innovators like McLaren and even Lambo that Porsche is selling with sales practices as bad as Ferrari). Two good things should come out of it though: Porsche is going to make a lot of money and the speculators could take a bath and think twice about stealing allocations from people who really want the car.

OK. I will accept your off topic debate little bit...

Tesla stock value is overhyped as much as possible. Read comments from financial world carefully. How many true believers in Tesla value is from financial world?

Tesla will be either the biggest success or Ponzi scheme. Nothing in between I am afraid.

And what Nick wrote is essential here-when someone open this thread I believe that new GT3 content is expected. Not fan post about Elon Musk.

KresoF1:

Tesla will be either one of the biggest success or massive failure. Nothing in between I am afraid.

Totally agree with the small fixes above. But it has all happened before, remember AOL Broadcom Palm Blackberry or even Yahoo...

SciFrog:

OT is in every thread on RT... Once there is a rule about respecting the thread topic I will follow it as I have followed the no politics rule. Till then no need to change anything. There was no personal attack in my posts, just pointing how some people see some possibilities of the future of our societies and other just don't see them. Maybe some here are engulfed in a sport car aficionados older crowd that they dont see what the young and the rest of the population really wants. An overvalued public company does not make it a Ponzi scheme, a Ponzi scheme implies fraud. The stock is really expensive and I would not buy it anywhere close to here even if I could.

Worship? if that what you call admiring the vision and business sense of a person who has done amazing things for our society. Is anyone following hyperloop (lets go even more OT broken heart cause sorry but I find it far more interesting than the uber expensive not limited production ricer 991 GT2RS with a souped up 991 turbo engine and which has enormous competition from innovators like McLaren and even Lambo that Porsche is selling with sales practices as bad as Ferrari). Two good things should come out of it though: Porsche is going to make a lot of money and the speculators could take a bath and think twice about stealing allocations from people who really want the car.

Smiley

The path to enlightenment is first accepting that there is no thread. There is no section. There is only RT.

noone1:

The path to enlightenment is first accepting that there is no thread. There is no section. There is only RT.

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Hopefully thierry will post his promised photos soon and bring this discussion back on topic.

Gauss:

Hopefully thierry will post his promised photos soon and bring this discussion back on topic.

Tesla? SmileySmileySmiley

--

is the GT3 fully electric or still hybrid?:::)))

pmarkow:

I heard the next generation will be fully electric. A screaming 20k RPM with a one gear PDK-S Plus Smiley

--

bluelines:
    pmarkow:

I heard the next generation will be fully electric. A screaming 20k RPM with a one gear PDK-S Plus 

....with simulated up/down shifts every 3K revs. for the emotions.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761700 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434987 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80872 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871803 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807161 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM