Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche honeymoon experiences (long !!)

After the factory pick up (see other thread) my wife and I went for a nine days honeymoon tour with our new ride
    ehem...P-car honeymoon of course

My wife did a fantastic job in planning the tour which seemed to be an endless string of Germany's finest twisty roads in beautiful landscapes: from Zuffenhausen to the Swabian Alb, down to the Danube valley, then up to the Black Forest, via Alsace/France towards the "Wineroad" in Palatinate, followed by the famous "Loreley-route" along the banks of the Rhine - THE perfect route to make your Boxey familiar with it's purpose: corners, corners, corners.....

We did some 1,500 km during our trip (of which only 150 km Autobahn) enjoying the Boxey every minute (driving-fun only interrupted by some extensive walks in the mountains and wine hills and of course enjoying the excellent local cuisine from Maultaschen to Saumagen and fine wines of course)

Although we had some typical German April wheather (from 1*C at the Black Forest passes to 16*C at the Rhine valley) we drove 80% of the time with the top down - I didn't expect the Boxster's passenger cabin to be THAT cosy and warm even with some really chilly winds outside - at least at countryroad speed.

Here is the summary of my impressions after the 1,500 km inauguration tour (o.k. I added another 160 km today ):

Colour / Design
    I love the seal/cocoa combo - especially in sunny wheather. It's a mix of rich colours with a sporty and classy appearance at the same time (Just my personal view of course).
    I'm more than happy with the rear center console painted in exteriour colour adding a sporty note and providing a nice variation on the cocoa theme (apart from the full leather the painted console is my favourite in terms of interior design)
    The titanium grey coloured back of the sportseats, the silvergrey seatbelts and the leather sunvisors complete the package (maybe it would have been worthwile to take the inner A-sills in cocoa also, but it's not a must have IMO, because the black sills are a nice fit with the black interior fabric of the top).
    Also LOVE the look of the Carrera S wheels, adding a lot to the sporty appearance of the car.

Short-Shifter
    Should be standard I know that some guys reported a notchy feeling or too much effort to engage 1st or 2nd gear (especially when cold). I can only talk from my own experience of course, but after two days or some 300 km the shifter became smooth like butter, though providing a very nice feel of precision when shifting gears (note: I'm not a bodybuilder with huge biceps - not to talk of my wife who had absolutely no probs with the shifter also). I'm sure during a spirited drive you ARE faster with the Short-Shifter equipped car, just because it's so intuitive to operate it - if you take the frog-like race position in your sportseat rushing from corner to corner it's like a well choreographed ballet when you hit the pedals and change gears just with a quick throw out of your wrist ankle
    When I switched to my BMW yesterday, I thought the gearbox must be broken, because the throw from 1st into 2nd gear seemed to be never ending

(Regular) Sportseats
    It's hard to give some general advise regarding seats, but for me and my wife the sportseats are just perfect
    Even after a four hours drive in the Black Forest with an endless string of corners I felt totally fit and relaxed after climbing out of the car (note: I have a history of back problems).

PASM
    I've deliberated about this option for a long time (special thank to everybody who has shared his own experiences on this one ) and I'm very happy with it now
    One strange (or better: pleasant) observation: many Rennteamers felt that PASM in normal mode as too soft (missing the road connected feeling) and PASM in sport mode as to harsh. To a certain extent (PASM being too soft in normal mode) I had to agree after some extended testdrives back in summer 2005.
    Now I had been very astonished that my car driven in normal mode feels much more road connected and nearer to sport mode compared to the demo cars I drove. Just when driving out of the pick up center in Zuffenhausen even my wife as a passenger instantly asked me whether I had engaged sport mode already (which I didn't).
    I am wondering which of the following explanations might be right: either Porsche's engineers have modified the software meanwhile OR the tires make the difference (factory equipped my car with Contis whereas the demo cars have been equipped with Michelins) OR the calibration of my butt-meter has changed OR my memory doesn't serve me well anymore (or a mix of all the above mentioned possibilities)

Sport Chrono
    Maybe it's just me but I feel the sharper acceleration better if I don't go really wild, but only "half-wild" (in the "really wild" mode I have a quite heavy gas foot anyway and I'm more focussed towards the next corner/braking point etc.) Can't comment on the sharper kick-in of the rev-limiter
    as I won't approach redline during the break-in.
    As for the "wart": could live without it (probably never use the stopwatch), but I somehow actually like the look
    It complements the almost round airvents in the Boxster (different story in the 997 with the differently shaped airvents and the prominent dashboard edge) and the illumination at night adds a unique touch to the cockpit's illumination

Tires (Contis)
    They don't feel as soft as the Michelins IMO, but still providing plenty og grip to enjoy those challenging twisties (maybe they are a little bit more "talkative" in indicating the grip limit) on dry tarmac.
    In the rain (and cold wheather) I have been astonished about the high grip level - PSM never kicked in (opposed to my testdrive with the Michelins, which I tested for 50 km only in the wet though).
    BTW: I don't know whether the tire brand choice for the factory equipped cars is sort of lottery - I checked today the new cars in the showrooms of two P-dealerships and I found a wild mix of tire brands on all the new cars.

Engine
    I'm not too soft regarding the break-in procedure, but I rev the engine beyond 5k rpm only for some moments up to date (not beyond 6k rpm so far). The instructor in Zuffenhausen told me to go beyond 5 krpm for short intervalls only for the first 3k km, but otherwise just "drive it like always" (of course I didn't tell him about my driving habits ).
    Today (first time without the wife on the passenger seat ) I played really hard with some bikers and the engine seemed to breath very free already.
    Of course I only go wild after a thorough warm-up and I spend some cool-down before parking the car after a spirited drive.
    One nice remark made by the factory tour guide: we at Porsche build very good engines - and you (the driver) drive them to excellence
    IMO the chassis easily could handle another 70 hp or so, but in the Boxster's prime domain (twisty country-roads) there is no feeling of lacking power. On the Autobahn it's still "o.k." (pushed it to 220 km/h only due to the break-in procedure), but for those who are after the ultimate straight line performance, the car industry offers other cars.
    Having said that it's nice to experience that the car has enough "Überholprestige" (overtaking prestige - like we say in Germany) on the Autobahn Somehow embarrassing to see most of the other cars (even better powered cars) clearing the Autobahn's fastlane expecting me to floor the Porsche not knowing that I'm still breaking in the car
    The sound is great (ranging from a harmless pussycat at low rpm to the roar of an angry lion at higher revs) I just detected my new love for all sort of tunnels, small villages with narrow roads and even valet parking garages
    Nice side effect: It's much easier for me to comply with the city speed limits driving the Boxster, because it feels and sounds sporty even at low speeds/rpms

Other Options
    Xenons are a must have for my ageing eyes, Sound Package Plus is so-so (though easy and intuitive to operate), the chrome exhaust tip sheer indulgence (though very nice to look at). The heated seats (not only heating the butt, but also the kidney area - very nice) and the windstop transform the cabin into a warm and cosy space even in the German April-wheather with chilly winds (even at 200 km/h with the top down), the auto climate works perfect (never drove a car with a better aircon).

Other people's reaction
    Although I'm familiar with the German "Envy-Society" we only experienced very positive reactions so far (maybe because we avoided the bigger cities during our trip).
    Some memorable examples out of dozens:
    The sport-byciclist climbing up the steep Black Forest mountain with a face distorted from the effort: the face instantly turned into a big smile when he saw our car approaching
    The cutest one: The four years old son of the hotel manager playing near the parking lot each time when coming along our parked car caressed the "Rössle" (Swabian for stallion) in the Porsche badge on the front hood (maybe the Swabians tell their small kids this helps to get an own Porsche later ).
    The neighbours at home stopping their car in the middle of the road when they saw our car for the first time giving a thumbs up and stating: "Porsche=Dreamcar"
    BTW those of you thinking that a P-car is a mass-product today: during our 1,500 km trip we saw some 10 Porsches (all vintages/models) only and all of them flashed their lights or gave a thumb up
    One funny experience today: parking the baby at a remote parking lot to take some pics an elderly couple with their small grand-daughter approached the car, but kept a distance of maybe 15 meters. The small girl asked their grandparents: what car is this ? Grandma said: Porsche (Bingo ), Grandpa said: no, this car is so beautiful (!) - it must be an F-car - I guess Grandma is the car expert in the family

Conclusion
    Never another car has evoked so much emotions and driving fun for me
    You can cruise with the top down but once you want to go wild the baby turns into a little racer (especially with PASM in sport mode + Sport Chrono + Short Shifter). The best is that once you're in "race mode" everything seems to be so effortless (true for both, car AND driver).
    I'm sure the superb ergonomy, the "gripping" sportseats and the de facto non existing body roll all contribute to this pleasant result.
    BTW: "my passenger" seems to be far more relaxed in the P-car also (sometimes she complains when I play hard with my other cars due to the bodyroll, missing "seat-grip" or slides which are easyly to provoke with the BMW at relatively low speeds especially in the wet ).

The health insurance companies should give a big discount on their premiums to every Porsche owner: as they say - "laughing is the best medicine" and laugh you do behind the wheel of this car

Thanx for your patience with this lenghty novel of a happy and proud first time P-car owner

Now I need some good rest to prepare myself for the most challenging thing tomorrow: posting the pics - Special thanx to Dreamcar for having me advised on this one. Let's see whether an IT-challenged dinosaur like me can handle it (break-in of a P-car is a piece of cake compared with this IT-stuff ).

Cheers to all you Rennteamers

Re: Porsche honeymoon experiences (long !!)

Great report. I remember driving my 987 for the first time and I felt (and still feel) as excited about it as you do. Have fun with it! (I know you will)...

Uberragend!!! Truly the most enjoyable report I've read to date!

Porsche-Jeck, I'm sorry my picture posting instructions were so poor, I tried- I'm very tech challenged.

I love it when people write reviews like this...it helps since I'm ordering my car soon.

One thing though how was the body control of the Box in the twisties in the Comfort PASM mode?

Great job and post the pics soon!

Jeck,

Now do you see why it's so easy for me to craft imagery with this car? It's fantastic! Still trying to convince RC to make my title Rennteam Poet...

Congrats my friend!

Congratulations!! Very nice report; drive your new baby in good health I've got Seal as well and I'm thoroughly enjoying the colour especially when the sun shines on it.

Very nice report, Jecki! Thanks very much for taking the time to write and post it.

Enjoy your baby in good health!

Very nice report! Texts like these help me assure that a porsche is not only a dream, but will indeed be very pleasing... Makes me long for the day that I can finally afford my own!
    -Joost-

Wow! Great report Porsche-Jeck, many thanks for your time writing it. I can tell you, one year on from getting my own "dreamcar", that the magic has not diminished, it is a still special occasion for me whenever I go for a drive. Even washing my car, a chore I normally detest, is enjoyable. Especially drying the brakes after the wash, which normally means a minimum 50km drive (to ensure they are properly dry, of course)

This year will be even more special, with two European trips planned, looking forward very much to meeting you in two weeks time (more photo-opportunities!) and a French tour in September, on some of the finest driving roads in Europe.

awesome report!!!! now kick the pics!!!

WHAT A REPORT, WOW
    Thanks and CONGRATS once again

Wonderful report - so good to read your personal observations. Really illuminating!

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to share this with us!

Enjoy your new car!!!

Your car sounds like one I'd like to spec. Would love to see some pictures of seal/cocoa with my favorite wheels.

Wonderful report, looking forward to your pics soon!

Nice report, congrats. If you need your pics posted, just send them over to rc@rennteam.com . I can post them for you.

Regarding kids and Porsche: our little 2-year old boy always points towards the Porsche crest when he sees one, accompanied by a loud "Dada Auto" babbling. It is amazing, he recognizes Porsche cars, same with my daughter, she is 5 now. She even recognizes Ferraris and knows that our co-editor CR owns one (which is pretty amazing since she saw her first and last Ferrari almost three years ago in Baden-Baden).

I'm sorry to hear about the bad weather, may I give you a good advice for the summer: drive to South France. There is nothing more enjoyable than to drive from Nice to St. Tropez along the coast/sea. It may take very long and there is always lots of traffic but with an open top and at warm temperatures, you'll enjoy every second of it. And even if there are sometimes more expensive cars along the street, people will always enjoy looking at your Boxster. I was there last year in my 997 Carrera S and so many people started talking to me, among them an older guy with his wife on a Harley Davidson. He was a retired US business man who bought a house in South France and when he saw our two little kids coming out of the rear of the 997, they immediately started talking to us, being surprised to see such "modern parents" and happy kids. And of course the driving was fun too, not only for us but for the kids too. My parents, they're in the 70s/80s actually think we're crazy but our kids loved it. Otherwise we wouldn't have done it. I had difficulties to put my little boy into the Cayenne after this vacation, he only wanted to drive in the 997 and started crying when we walked away from the car. Amazing.

But back to nice topless driving: Lake Garda (Laggo di Garda) in Italy is highly recommendable for Cab driving, a tour around the lake is fun and if the weather is nice and warm, it is really something very very nice to do.

Enjoy your car and...don't forget the pictures.

I get the feeling we may be waiting a while for those pictures- our bud is probably at the Ring this very moment! Tomorrow back to the Schwarzwald...

Excellent report. Thanks for taking time to post it.
    It sounds like you're having a very enjoyable experience with your new Boxster.

Thanx everybody for the good wishes

@ Martin J.S: good to know that the magic will survive the honeymoon period

@ SVNSVN & Dreamcar: looking very much forward to meeting up with you and your babies in Germany soon

@ AJ: I'm afraid this baby is inspiring me so much that we might compete in who's going to earn the title as Rennteam-Poet (I suggest German language for the poetry - I guess Goethe definitely would have driven a Porsche if he wouldn't have to depend on 4 HP-coaches).

@ turbokuo: to me PASM in normal mode is a joy to drive even during a spirited drive on the twisties - remember that PASM is not a "digital system" (either normal mode or sport mode) - it adjusts the shock absorbers permanently depending on how hard you push and depending on the road conditions - therefore normal mode and sport mode de facto can "meet each other" at a certain threshold (normal mode on smooth roads when pushing hard = near to sport mode; sport mode on rough road when taking it easy = near to normal mode). Judged on my butt-meter the system works very well (no road-disconnected or "artificial" drive feeling like reported by some others). What P are you going to order ? I still remember the joy of speccing very well

@ Joost: hang on to the dream, your day will come for sure

@ Louis: I remember well when you posted the first pics of your nice sealgrey Boxster - helped to me make up my mind about the exterior colour

@ Matt C: Switzerland is a dream for every Porsche-driver (just avoid the Swiss autobahn and go for the real stuff - where the mountains get steeper and where the speed traps are rare)

@ Andrea: how are you doing with your new Boxster in the homeland of F-cars

@ Freak, Easy-Rider, Damien: Thanx for the nice words - I know what you're going through, Easy

@ cym 104 & wangt1015: I hope the generous offer from RC to help me with the pics will help to deliver some eyecandy soon

Your back bud and it appears that you are enjoying ..

Good luck to you both ..

Easy..

throt..

Thank you so much for your generous offer to help me with posting the pics - I hope you don't regret it already after having received my bulky mails

You recommended perfect destinations for a nice summer holiday trip - I've been there more than one time with my now gone Alfa Spider and enjoyed it very much. The only thing you have to take care about is a safe parking place for your Porsche (I "lost" my Mercedes near St. Tropez a couple of years ago, while the robbers climbed up into our hotel-room on the 3rd floor via the balcony, anaesthesised my wife and me - both sleeping already - with some drug and just took the carkey, so that the car's anti-theft system has been useless ). Even this horrible experience cannot prevent us to go there again and again, because it's so beautiful
    BTW: as a sportscar enthusiast it's always nice to spend a visit to the nearby circuit in Le Luc to drive some laps in a F1-car on your own (adrenaline clearing experience)
    Only downturn is to get again into your streetcar afterwards
    - though maybe different for you after getting your TT

You're right with the kids: though your kids may have a genetic predesposition it's always a big joy to me to see how unbiased kids react when they see a nice car - like in the toystore, just the toys are a little bit bigger. To be honest I'm convinced that even a grown up sportscar enthusiast still remains a kid in his heart to a certain extent and I think this is a good thing - it's up to you to judge whether some discussions at Rennteam could be used to verify this theory

I read both the long version and the executive summary report and really enjoyed both.

Enjoy the first of many Porsches!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    I get the feeling we may be waiting a while for those pictures- our bud is probably at the Ring this very moment! Tomorrow back to the Schwarzwald...

Would be very tempting But I'm afraid the Ring has to wait until the break in is done and my office table looks terrible after the P-holiday...

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Would be very tempting But I'm afraid the Ring has to wait until the break in is done and my office table looks terrible after the P-holiday...

You are braver than me - don't think I'd risk my pride and joy on the ring - judging by Top Gear I'd probably get overtaken by white van (mad) woman!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    You are braver than me - don't think I'd risk my pride and joy on the ring - judging by Top Gear I'd probably get overtaken by white van (mad) woman!

Only on the straights

I can only queue up in the line of congratulators! I was already waiting to hear the report of your wonderful trip - the car itself must be fun enough to drive, even better with such nice scenery!

Enjoy your car and always have safe journeys!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    @ cym 104 & wangt1015: I hope the generous offer from RC to help me with the pics will help to deliver some eyecandy soon

Sorry, I didn't post them yet. I have a problem with my DSL at my home office. Incredible download speed but uploads don't seem to work at all, strange. The Telekom over here started to switch from a max. of 6 Mbit to 16 Mbit and there seem to be problems, at least at my house. Hope to get it fixed soon, hopefully by tomorrow.

Thanks RC! Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sorry, I didn't post them yet. I have a problem with my DSL at my home office. Incredible download speed but uploads don't seem to work at all, strange. The Telekom over here started to switch from a max. of 6 Mbit to 16 Mbit and there seem to be problems, at least at my house. Hope to get it fixed soon, hopefully by tomorrow.

Thanx very much for your effort, RC. Learning that even the Pros can experience some IT probs (I saw the pic of your star wars like office equipment you've posted earlier ) I now can blame my unsuccessful attempt to upload the pics on the Telekom rather than on my own lack of IT skills

Take your time - waiting has it's own value as we all know

Problem still persists, new ADSL+2 with 16 MBit but upload almost not possible, very slow speed. It seems my Lancom router is the culprit, the update added ADSL+2 capability but the hardware revision isn't fully compatible.
    Hope to find a workaround, otherwise I'll send the files from my office on tuesday. SORRY again!

I don't know if this picture shows up, I hope so. It took me pretty long to post it...if it shows up.

Ah ha! Great photo, thanks RC / Porsche-Jeck. Looks a great colour combination, I'll see it in the metal this time next week....

Post Extras:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803997 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448727 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266335 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90164 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886070 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834333 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM