Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: A horrific crash after renting a 458 Spider with 3 passengers onboard

bluelines:
    RC:

Are you a doctor now or did you google? 

...said the politician-martial-arts-doctor-rally-driver-apple-engineer-superhero Smiley

That post is more unexpected self irony than what I can handle on a Friday afternoon Smiley

OUCH! A kill shot right between the eyes.SmileySmiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

RC said...

Here is what a UK scientist says about this:

Alcohol abuse is more harmful than crack or heroin abuse, according to a new study by a former British government drug advisor.

Neuropharmacologist David Nutt, MD, of Imperial College London, rated 20 different drugs on a scale that takes into account the various harms caused by a drug. Drugs are rated on nine harms a drug causes an individual and seven harms a drug causes society.

I'm going to need a bit more persuading given my age, my profession and my experience!

'Nutt' is a good name for someone voicing that opinion - and led to him being sacked as a result of his findings!!  wink

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/30/drugs-adviser-david-nutt-sacked

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

More in German, but it sums it up very well indecision

http://youtu.be/5iDrzvVl98U

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

KresoF1:

Btw, we need urgently rock music thread on off topic section to post huge amount of freely expressed lyric/poetic stuff and then wait for true wisdom...

smiley

Yes, we do Smiley Lots of great rock out there to be shared.

True wisdom, well hah. I guess we will learn that Scooter, or smurf techno in general, is the best music out there Smiley

--

Gnil:
    RC:

Are you a doctor now or did you google? 

wink (here, I did it again).

How much theory in medical/pharmaceutical school did you have about addiction ?   Maybe one course of 4 hours ?

Seriously? I worked 6 months at a special rehab/treatment facility within the university and talked to so many patients, incl. collecting data (behavioral study). Many were on methadone (drug addicts) but we also had lots of alcoholics. One of them was actually diagnosed with throat cancer during my time there and I "met" him again one year later in the clinic where he was waiting to die in a dark room. Why dark? Because he looked like a monster, his head was bigger than the biggest pumpkin I ever saw myself, it was the most horrible view I ever had of a cancer patient, will never forget that. Smiley Btw: He was no drug addict, he was an alcoholic. This is the first time I actually learned for myself that alcohol and throat cancer are connected.

I know that I can tell you anything on the internet and you don't have to believe me, especially on a car related forum. Smiley 

Personally, I couldn't care less what you guys are doing, drinking alcohol, taking drugs, I don't care because I don't know you guys, why should I lie?! Smiley All I know is that alcohol abuse is not something many seem to realize and it starts at smaller quantities than many think, especially those who drink alcohol on a daily basis.

Anyway...back to topic, I didn't want to hijack this thread with my crusade against alcohol and drugs. Smiley Smiley

It is sad enough that a young man and sportive seems to have associated fun with alcohol and driving drunk. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

John H:

RC said...

Alcohol abuse is more harmful than crack or heroin abuse, according to a new study by a former British government drug advisor.

Neuropharmacologist David Nutt, MD, of Imperial College London, rated 20 different drugs on a scale that takes into account the various harms caused by a drug. Drugs are rated on nine harms a drug causes an individual and seven harms a drug causes society.

I'm going to need a bit more persuading given my age, my profession and my experience!

'Nutt' is a good name for someone voicing that opinion - and led to him being sacked as a result of his findings!!  wink

--

He was sacked because it is the truth and the majority of the population, incl. doctors, scientists and politicians drink...trara...alcohol. Smiley Nowadays, in the year 2016, more and more experts are actually saying the same and I bet with you that once they "finish" with cigarettes, they will start with alcohol. It is just a matter of time. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

bluelines:
    KresoF1:

Btw, we need urgently rock music thread on off topic section to post huge amount of freely expressed lyric/poetic stuff and then wait for true wisdom...

smiley

Yes, we do Smiley Lots of great rock out there to be shared.

True wisdom, well hah. I guess we will learn that Scooter, or smurf techno in general, is the best music out there Smiley

As long as it isn't ABBA, I'm OK with this. Smiley

--

I think we're all gonna end-up in rehab if we listen to RC. Smiley

Or maybe he's planning to open his own rehab center and taking advantage of Rennteam to increase his customer's base Smiley   Smiley

amazon:

Or maybe he's planning to open his own rehab center and taking advantage of Rennteam to increase his customer's base Smiley   Smiley

Giving out methadone is not rehab , it is merely  ''risk controlled '' use of drugs . You do not need any training for that, only a pharmacist to make it legal  Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

RC:
    John H:

RC said...

He was sacked because it is the truth and the majority of the population, incl. doctors, scientists and politicians drink...trara...alcohol. Smiley Nowadays, in the year 2016, more and more experts are actually saying the same and I bet with you that once they "finish" with cigarettes, they will start with alcohol. It is just a matter of time. 

If that's the case, then I'd better start looking for another way to stay in business!!  All of my licensed premises, venues and restaurants will become worthless, including this one, www.telfordswarehouse.com - not many of my customers will want music & entertainment without the facility to have a drink or two... I'm on the way to being ruined..Smiley  All of my family and staff will starve! - and it's all your fault..Smiley

--

After reflecting on this thread I looked around in this Colorado ski town how many tables had alcohol or not for diner. I have yet to find one who didn't. 

amazon:

I think we're all gonna end-up in rehab if we listen to RC. Smiley

Maybe I should try to get you guys a special Rennteam rate? Smiley

You got me. Smiley

Smiley

--

SciFrog:

After reflecting on this thread I looked around in this Colorado ski town how many tables had alcohol or not for diner. I have yet to find one who didn't. 

In Bavaria, you can drink beer starting at the age of 16 (incl. wine and sparkling wine). Most of my daughter's friends are drinking beer and they are actually 15 or 16 years old. At every of the last birthday parties of my daughter's friends, there was alcohol available, mostly beer and some of those small liquor bottles. My son is 12 and some of his friends in the age of 11-13 are drinking Radler, a mix drink with lemonade and...beer.

So alcohol is quite "present" in German daily life.

Thanks god, my daughter is like me and my wife. Not so sure about my son yet, he is a wild one (but apparently doesn't like the smell of alcohol, he complaints all the time when we go out with friends who drink, so...) but I hope he follows in our footsteps. Smiley

--

RC, it's kind of funny you are telling us how dangerous a glass of alcohol can be, yet you are one of the few members here that drives + 200 km/u with wife and kids onboard.

Something that I would never ever do, even sober. 

Being the personal instructor for Walter Röhrl, with superhuman 20/20 infrared vision and being the de facto expert for the EU committee on Autobahn driving, this does not qualify as dangerous. 

--

spudgun:

RC, it's kind of funny you are telling us how dangerous a glass of alcohol can be, yet you are one of the few members here that drives + 200 km/u with wife and kids onboard.

Something that I would never ever do, even sober. 

Well, this is a risk I can control and yes, I know how this sounds but I am not your regular driver (and yes, I know how this sounds as well  Smiley). 

When you're drunk, you think you can control the risk. Smiley I've seen so many drunk people in my life and I know that none of them was in control of their situation. 

We can discuss this all day long but is it really worth it? I know my stuff, you know yours, none of us will be convinced with the ideas of the other one, so whats the point? Smiley Smiley

--

bluelines:

Being the personal instructor for Walter Röhrl, with superhuman 20/20 infrared vision and being the de facto expert for the EU committee on Autobahn driving, this does not qualify as dangerous. 

Well, so you realized you're inferior, so why argue with me, right? Smiley Smiley

--

Just pointing out that your extreme approach regarding alcohol can be easily transferred to speeding with family onboard. Your kids can't control the risks involved, you can't control other road users. Saying that you do is bs. Hospitals around the world are filled with victims where none of them was in control of their situation.

You're right about no point in these discussions though. Just food for thought. kiss

spudgun:

Just pointing out that your extreme approach regarding alcohol can be easily transferred to speeding with family onboard. Your kids can't control the risks involved, you can't control other road users. Saying that you do is bs. Hospitals around the world are filled with victims where none of them was in control of their situation.

People who drink will always justify their way. People who speed will always justify their way.

Me driving 260 kph in a family SUV is less dangerous than 99% of the people out there driving in their cars at 150 kph. 

I know how this sounds but like I said before, I'm a professional driver and can do things other people can't and this has unfortunately (or not? Smiley), nothing to do with superhuman capabilities but training, training, training, experience, 100% focusing and yes, a very good and sharp vision (any ophthalmologist can tell you what a very good vision sharpness means), no matter how often I get mocked for that (never have been mocked by a medical professional thoughSmiley).

You're right about no point in these discussions though. Just food for thought. kiss

I am 50 now. I am driving since age 18. I only had one self-inflicted accident at age 18 (or was it 19?) when I hit a car in the rear because I was looking at a beautiful blonde walking by Smiley.

I had a very serious accident at age 19 when someone else hit my car and guess what, he was drunk, entered the intersection while I had a green light, hit my car in the front fender and I flipped over a couple of times, then sliding on the roof and almost hit a bus. Only three broken ribs (from the seatbelt). No, this is not the reason why I don't drink but you can certainly understand why I don't like people who drink. I will post a photo of this accident (it happened in an Opel Kadett GSE) but I have to take a photo of the Polaroid first. Nobody believed I got out of this mess alive and with three broken ribs only.

Since that time, I drive my cars like a maniac, in a positive sense and paying attention to other drivers and traffic is actually a real paranoia, I am trying to drive pre-emptive. Smiley I did excessive driving training until I was 30, had my professional Rally time on a Lancia Delta HF Integrale with AM Motorsports (Ronald Holzer was my mentor, his son Marco should be well known in the Porsche community), afterwards I worked in my spare time as a freelance driving instructor (mostly for bigger companies to help train chauffeurs), helped with some development in the car industry (mostly setups for pre-production runs) and enjoyed driving whenever I could. With the ML55 AMG, my first family car and my first SUV, I fell in love with high performance SUVs and I kind of perfected my driving style with them. I can actually drive almost any SUV so fast at the limit that most normal drivers would have serious issues to keep up. Kind of a personal fun. Smiley This is actually my speciality.

I know you don't know me but trust me, I'm not blowing hot air here. However, I have to admit that I should be more often on the track to keep up with modern chassis and ESP system setups. It is difficult to do that on public roads and the times I use some closed airfields for that aren't happening too often. Smiley We meet often though for some drives, a few friends and it is fun. Unfortunately I have one of the "slowest" (power/Vmax) cars in the group...maybe I should have kept my Turbo S, especially for when we are on the Autobahn on our way to other "fun" places. Smiley

Now I stop before I start writing my biography... Smiley

--

RC:
    spudgun:

People who drink will always justify their way. People who speed will always justify their way.

Me driving 260 kph in a family SUV is less dangerous than 99% of the people out there driving in their cars at 150 kph. 

I know how this sounds but like I said before, I'm a professional driver and can do things other people can't and this has unfortunately (or not? Smiley), nothing to do with superhuman capabilities but training, training, training, experience, 100% focusing and yes, a very good and sharp vision (any ophthalmologist can tell you what a very good vision sharpness means), no matter how often I get mocked for that (never have been mocked by a medical professional thoughSmiley).

I am 50 now. I am driving since age 18. I only had one self-inflicted accident at age 18 (or was it 19?) when I hit a car in the rear because I was looking at a beautiful blonde walking by Smiley.

I had a very serious accident at age 19 when someone else hit my car and guess what, he was drunk, entered the intersection while I had a green light, hit my car in the front fender and I flipped over a couple of times, then sliding on the roof and almost hit a bus. Only three broken ribs (from the seatbelt). No, this is not the reason why I don't drink but you can certainly understand why I don't like people who drink. I will post a photo of this accident (it happened in an Opel Kadett GSE) but I have to take a photo of the Polaroid first. Nobody believed I got out of this mess alive and with three broken ribs only.

Since that time, I drive my cars like a maniac, in a positive sense and paying attention to other drivers and traffic is actually a real paranoia, I am trying to drive pre-emptive. Smiley I did excessive driving training until I was 30, had my professional Rally time on a Lancia Delta HF Integrale with AM Motorsports (Ronald Holzer was my mentor, his son Marco should be well known in the Porsche community), afterwards I worked in my spare time as a freelance driving instructor (mostly for bigger companies to help train chauffeurs), helped with some development in the car industry (mostly setups for pre-production runs) and enjoyed driving whenever I could. With the ML55 AMG, my first family car and my first SUV, I fell in love with high performance SUVs and I kind of perfected my driving style with them. I can actually drive almost any SUV so fast at the limit that most normal drivers would have serious issues to keep up. Kind of a personal fun. Smiley This is actually my speciality.

I know you don't know me but trust me, I'm not blowing hot air here. However, I have to admit that I should be more often on the track to keep up with modern chassis and ESP system setups. It is difficult to do that on public roads and the times I use some closed airfields for that aren't happening too often. Smiley We meet often though for some drives, a few friends and it is fun. Unfortunately I have one of the "slowest" (power/Vmax) cars in the group...maybe I should have kept my Turbo S, especially for when we are on the Autobahn on our way to other "fun" places. Smiley

Now I stop before I start writing my biography... Smiley

--

If all this is true, one wonders why you're wasting these extreme talents by not participating and winning WEC, or the Bathurst 12h more recently? Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

I am 50 now and I can happily say that I have achieved basically everything in life I ever dreamt of.

Oh well, two things are missing...living in Florida and becoming a billionaire but I still have time, right?!  

Can you say the same of yourself? If yes, consider yourself lucky and blessed.

That said, I am not very much interested in professional racing anymore, actually stopped being interested in it over ten years ago. I am happy when I actually have the time to enjoy some nice driving with some friends who are even more blessed than I am.

I do not have anything to prove to anyone, if you guys have...well, be my guest. wink

Also, quite frankly, I do not understand what my post or drinking or Autobahn driving in a SUV has to do with WEC or the Bathurst 12h but I guess this remains our own little mystery.  Also, let's be real here: What racing team would want an old fart like me? Smiley 

Last but not least, I am a getting a little bit tired of justifying myself in my own home, if you get my drift.
    If you feel offended or threatened by my posts, for whatever (weird) reason, just ignore them. If you cannot ignore them, well...maybe I can help. Seriously, you don't have to protect your friend Bluelines, he can take care of himself pretty well.

Oh and next time you "discuss" me when you guys meet, I have to say I feel honored. indecision wink

--

1458141747060image.gif

--

bluelines:

1458141747060image.gif

Can't help you anymore mate, I'm risking a ban, you're on your own! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Guys, just stop it. Nobody is risking a ban because he has a different opinion.

I am just p.ss.d when it comes to mocking and this is not a nice thing to do.

You can have your own opinion all day long, this is your right and I respect it. Mocking me because I have certain "advantages" (or not) or skills, is just plain wrong because I put a lot of time and sweat into this forum and I think I deserve better. I get along pretty well with the majority here and we don't always agree (which is a good thing).

If someone doesn't believe my claims or stories, this is fine to me. There are lots of people here who know me personally or for more than a decade and they know that everything I say is true. Why should I lie? I do not make money with this forum, I do not profit from it in any (official) way and I'm not here to impress anyone (we have many users who have more money, more cars and/or more driving/etc. skills than I do...) other than to keep this forum alive and up and running. 

Just keep it civil and respectful and everything is fine!

Cheers. wink

--

RC:

Guys, just stop it. Nobody is risking a ban because he has a different opinion.

I am just p.ss.d when it comes to mocking and this is not a nice thing to do.

You can have your own opinion all day long, this is your right and I respect it. Mocking me because I have certain "advantages" (or not) or skills, is just plain wrong because I put a lot of time and sweat into this forum and I think I deserve better. I get along pretty well with the majority here and we don't always agree (which is a good thing).

If someone doesn't believe my claims or stories, this is fine to me. There are lots of people here who know me personally or for more than a decade and they know that everything I say is true. Why should I lie? I do not make money with this forum, I do not profit from it in any (official) way and I'm not here to impress anyone (we have many users who have more money, more cars and/or more driving/etc. skills than I do...) other than to keep this forum alive and up and running. 

Just keep it civil and respectful and everything is fine!

Cheers. wink

We appreciate all the time and effort you put into RT, that's never been the issue. Smiley

--

So I guess case closed.

Maybe it is really time to meet personally, I get the feeling that everything would be "better" then. wink

My wife even says I smell nice... Smiley

--

Oh no, you smell nice too!  Up until that post I was almost your equal (why should I lie?).

I smell amazing.

Porker, don't go to that meeting!

trap.jpg

Sorry RC, I couldn't help myself indecision

yeah guys, just have a beer together and make up. To be honest, I really don't enjoy reading all these posts with badly hidden insults, they are taking away from the good old atmosphere I used to enjoy here so much... No need for this.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Having a beer together would just turned into a drinking contest between the Brits and the Germans. 

And the Belgians, if they can manage to get in between.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764534 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436626 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809084 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM