Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

Oh yes, LP997! I am always mixing him up with Lars997 smileymailwink

--

AM

ALDO:

yes :)

my config :  http://www.porsche-code.com/PGLR5LQ6

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

I think that the date for the US VIP's to accept the 911R is 8th of March - today.

It might be so that our dealers don't know what or if they get an allocation.

LP997:
    ALDO:

Congratulation - keep the car safe

--

AM

Congratulations! The green stripes seem to go better with the yellow calipers .

ALDO:

Also Lars, I see only Whoopsy has bought one. No one else seems to get a chance to buy one 911R.

Well... Smiley Still waiting for my lease calculation though and I don't have a good feeling about it since I doubt I could keep my GTS and I really want to buy this car when the lease ends. The allocation is not transferable and "locked" to a certain individual. Otherwise I could have passed it to you if I don't take it. Also, I couldn't sell the car for 6 months according to my dealer, this seems to be part of the sales contract.

I am still trying to figure out if that wing delete rumor for the 991.2 GT3 is true. If yes, I would prefer PDK (and the updated tech), so I would probably go for the 991.2 GT3 instead. I am not interested in the 911R as a collectible because I would be crazy enough to drive it. Maybe the reason I could get one. Smiley Smiley

Right now however everything is pure theory and maybe I should let it go. I don't really want to lease this car, I want to buy it but I can't (for the various investment reasons I mentioned and I do not make debt for car, no way), so the lease is just an idea which I may not go through with. Unless it is an interesting offer and my dealer would assure me that I can actually buy the car after the lease ends. Oh boy...first world problems... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    ALDO:

Also Lars, I see only Whoopsy has bought one. No one else seems to get a chance to buy one 911R.

Well... Smiley Still waiting for my lease calculation though and I don't have a good feeling about it since I doubt I could keep my GTS and I really want to buy this car when the lease ends. The allocation is not transferable and "locked" to a certain individual. Otherwise I could have passed it to you if I don't take it. Also, I couldn't sell the car for 6 months according to my dealer, this seems to be part of the sales contract.

I am still trying to figure out if that wing delete rumor for the 991.2 GT3 is true. If yes, I would prefer PDK (and the updated tech), so I would probably go for the 991.2 GT3 instead. I am not interested in the 911R as a collectible because I would be crazy enough to drive it. Maybe the reason I could get one. Smiley Smiley

Right now however everything is pure theory and maybe I should let it go. I don't really want to lease this car, I want to buy it but I can't (for the various investment reasons I mentioned and I do not make debt for car, no way), so the lease is just an idea which I may not go through with. Unless it is an interesting offer and my dealer would assure me that I can actually buy the car after the lease ends. Oh boy...first world problems... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Well, I suppose you know my channels Smiley

--

AM

wink

--

LP997:
    ALDO:

Perfect specs Smiley   You did not opt for the front lifter ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    LP997:
    ALDO:

the front height is enough compared to gt3 or RS ;) 

--

Green1457395784.jpg

--

I like it in green!

congrats!kiss

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

I would choose white with or w/o stripes (green or red) but GT silver and stripes doesn't work well in my opinion. enlightened

Btw: I also specced my car without lift system because it would be a weekend toy. 

--

LP997:
    Gnil:
    LP997:
    ALDO:

the front height is enough compared to gt3 or RS ;) 

Perfect then . It saves unwanted weight . It would of been a shame if this car would touch every speed bump , being a car aimed for the road .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

unotaz:

Unfortunately, I don't share your views.  People on this forum like Wtdoom and Whoopsy all drive their million dollar car everywhere.  If you think the reason why people like us buy these kind of cars is to show off our wealth on the road, then you way off base.  We don't think like that when we drive our 918s on the road.  Sure, there is a price to be paid to have this kind of privilege and you get a lot of unwanted attention on the road in these cars.  This is the very reason why I love the 911R concept, because no one on the road would know any different. To the average person, it's just another 911 and that's fine by me.  I don't want to show off and I just want to enjoy driving.  At the same time, I don't just want to drive any car, I want to drive a special car with a special engine and a manual gearbox.  There aren't many cars in today's market that can fit this bill.  

Welcome unotaz, nice to see new members...

Is your garage Porsche only or this is the tip of the iceberg? Always wondered what motivation people have to stick with one brand...

unotaz:

Unfortunately, I don't share your views.  People on this forum like Wtdoom and Whoopsy all drive their million dollar car everywhere.  If you think the reason why people like us buy these kind of cars is to show off our wealth on the road, then you way off base.  We don't think like that when we drive our 918s on the road.  Sure, there is a price to be paid to have this kind of privilege and you get a lot of unwanted attention on the road in these cars.  This is the very reason why I love the 911R concept, because no one on the road would know any different. To the average person, it's just another 911 and that's fine by me.  I don't want to show off and I just want to enjoy driving.  At the same time, I don't just want to drive any car, I want to drive a special car with a special engine and a manual gearbox.  There aren't many cars in today's market that can fit this bill.  

As for your comment on how you can't imagine yourself driving a million dollar car on the road and etc etc.  Well, work hard and you might get there.  It's like anything in life, once you are at a certain level, everything you gained in life will become the new norm.  I remember buying my first Rolex and I would only wear it on special occasions.  Many years later, I wear it all the time now, along with a few other makes. 

You're assuming I can't afford to buy a million dollar. Whether I can or not is not my point. When I bought my first Ferrari I said to myself this is for all my hard-earned work and you deserve something special. I bought several. But along the way I began to see things differently. 

My several hundred thousand dollar car sat in traffic like everyone else. My 500hp (yours 900hp) isn't getting to my destination any faster than anyone else. The car is uncomfortable (the 918 much worst) and all I get are people taking pictures of me like I am a freak. The car is totally useless in LA or SD traffic. If you want to exercise it you need to take to the canyons and hope police are not monitoring the fun areas. Not to mention the fact that every inexperienced  ricer wants to take a piece of you making that more dangerous to drive the car.

So after a few years of this I asked myself "why do I own this car?" I concluded there is no logical reason other than self congratulations and letting people know I have made it in life.

So I went back to Porsche and bought a TT Cab thinking it would sooth my conscious. It didn't help. The AWD is boring and the massive torque is only good in my dreams.

So I bought a GT3 and honestly it is the best of the bunch. Great car but yet again where do I drive it and experience what it is made for? To track it was a royal pain because of distances o tracks and insurance issues. So I decided to sell it. I am still debating what to replace it with if do.

I value a million dollars and maybe if I had multi millions the value wouldn't so great. But my priorities and values prevent me from buying a million dollar car not the money.Smiley

The good news for you is Porsche is opening their LA track soon and you will have a place to drive your R. But you do realize you TTS would give it a royal spanking on the track.Smiley Oh, BTW prefer Chopard over Rolex.Smiley

Finally, I don't mean to rain on your parade. You sort of called me out and I had to respond.Smiley
    --

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

There might be a way Nick. In principle I totally agree with your view and emotions. The problem with the latest greatest fastest cars is that you feel compelled to drive them fast and want to drive them fast. The way I found was to revert to still modern but older cars, one or two model behind. Somehow it takes some of the pressure off everything. And as a side bonus I don't care as much if they get a little banged up along the way and don't care to put some miles on it or to take the kids in the car. And you save a little bit of money along the way too which is never a bad thing. In that category the early 458, 599 work perfectly are are early FF and late 612. Some AM 2-4 year old models work too.

Gnil:

Different times . 10 years ago, the market for GT cars was low . No one wanted a track oriented hard core car , expect the track addicts .  Today the demand for raw(er) cars has gone through the roof .  Probably because all other cars have now similar performance , but have become so boring . There is also a hype and lots of money around that people don't know where to put . 

+1

And don't forget that internet and globalization was not influensing in the same way back then, that it does today. Nowadays we know so much and are so informed about every little detail. This have for sure impact on valuation and demand for certain cars and also input to the car manufacturers for what customers demands to tailor made offerings like the 911R. The digital era has changed much and will continue to do so!

@nberry - Your points have some merit and I respect your point of view but there is a fundamental flaw in your argument. Applying rational thought processes to car buying on a sports car enthusiasts forum is close to pointless. Its not how fast you go in the car  - its how it makes you FEEL even when you just look at it in the corner of your eye, or how you FEEL when you think about the car, or the split second joy as the rev counter climbs to its redline as you FEEL the gear lever in your hand and change it manually  - that's all the justification anyone needs for buying a 911 R Smiley

crayphile:

@nberry - Your points have some merit and I respect your point of view but there is a fundamental flaw in your argument. Applying rational thought processes to car buying on a sports car enthusiasts forum is close to pointless. Its not how fast you go in the car  - its how it makes you FEEL even when you just look at it in the corner of your eye, or how you FEEL when you think about the car, or the split second joy as the rev counter climbs to its redline as you FEEL the gear lever in your hand and change it manually  - that's all the justification anyone needs for buying a 911 R Smiley

Excellent pointSmiley and maybe that is why I don't understand the R. Its nothing special from an appearance or performance standpoint at least to me.Smiley

--

nberry:
    crayphile:

Excellent pointSmiley and maybe that is why I don't understand the R. Its nothing special from an appearance or performance standpoint at least to me.Smiley

And the fact that you will never buy another manual gearbox is going to have a significant impact on your opinion of this car as well...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I like the recent posts by nberry and SciFrog.

I can never see myself spending one million on a car, would much rather increase my real estate collections.

I never use my GT3RS for street daily use as I do not see the point of it.  Of my 3 911s, I prefer to use my 10 years old 997 club coupe daily as nobody cares about looking at it, and it is not too fast so that I can play with more shiftings while driving.

Have my name on waitlist for 991.2GT3, but not sure if I will go through as I really don't need another fast sport car for daily use. 

Maybe I should upgrade the Cayenne turbo next...

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:

I like the recent posts by nberry and SciFrog.

I can never see myself spending one million on a car, would much rather increase my real estate collections.

I would rather invest the money in stocks but I get your point, the capital you put into cars is actually lost capital (at least for a while) and even more so if the car doesn't become a collectible.

I never use my GT3RS for street daily use as I do not see the point of it.  Of my 3 911s, I prefer to use my 10 years old 997 club coupe daily as nobody cares about looking at it, and it is not too fast so that I can play with more shiftings while driving.

Have my name on waitlist for 991.2GT3, but not sure if I will go through as I really don't need another fast sport car for daily use. 

Maybe I should upgrade the Cayenne turbo next...

The Cayenne Turbo upgrade makes sense if you have family and love driving it but maybe you should wait for the next generation?! 

--

Yes RC, will definitely wait for next gen, there is no rush, thanks

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

SciFrog:
    unotaz:

Welcome unotaz, nice to see new members...

Is your garage Porsche only or this is the tip of the iceberg? Always wondered what motivation people have to stick with one brand...

Thank you! I have a few other cars in my collection, but I am slowly transitioning into the Porsche world.  I still have a few Italians in my collection, but those have personal historical importance to me rather than the car itself being a great car to drive.  

My personal appreciation of the Porsche brand has changed over the years.  I remember many years ago when I first made real money, I went out and bought myself a 996 C4.  I was happy, but at the same time, I wasn't that impressed with it.  Sure, it was the 996 platform, so that might have something to do with it.  But mostly, I felt like "so I got a Porsche, what's next?"  So I went into Ferrari and Lamborghinis after that, like any logical young man would do.  After years of ownership with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, I realized a few things:

1. Most of the Italian cars I have owned have bad reliability and put together horribly.  Electronic problems, mechanical issues and etc.  My 599 GTO once broke down with a ruptured F1 transmission metal hose and leaked transmission fluid all over the road.  

2. The driving sensation isn't particularly exciting and I get more excited looking at the car from the outside then from driving it on the inside.  It's almost like I own it to please others on the road.  A good example would my Aventador, people go crazy when they see it, but it's not really a driver's car. 

As the years gone by, I started to appreciate what Porsche has done with their cars and why so many people love the brand.  The brand has evolved and grew into new market (ie. GT3) but they still produce cars that the very core of the Porsche value.  I know some of you on this board feel like the new 911R was a marketing exercise, but if you look some of the classic Porsches in the past (eg. 911RS 2.7, the original 911R), you will see the core values are right there.  

A lot of my friends are impressed with the 991 GT3RS, the look, the wings, the sound.  I think it's a great car as well (that's why I'm getting one too), but that car represents the current Porsche values with the new generation.  The 911R goes back to old Porsche values, where the cars are low-key and 99% of the people on the road can't tell the difference.  Porsche are making great cars nowadays.  Take the Boxster Spyder, it's a lovely thing to drive on the road and it's so simple.  No automated roof, no PDK, no PASM....

--

2016 911 R (Incoming), 2016 911 GT3RS (Incoming), 2016 Boxster Spyder

2015 911 Turbo S, 2015 918 Spyder Weissach, 2015 Panamera GTS

2008 Cayenne Turbo, 2007 911 Turbo S, 1973 Datsun 240Z FuguZ

nberry:
    unotaz:

As for your comment on how you can't imagine yourself driving a million dollar car on the road and etc etc.  Well, work hard and you might get there.  It's like anything in life, once you are at a certain level, everything you gained in life will become the new norm.  I remember buying my first Rolex and I would only wear it on special occasions.  Many years later, I wear it all the time now, along with a few other makes. 

You're assuming I can't afford to buy a million dollar. Whether I can or not is not my point. When I bought my first Ferrari I said to myself this is for all my hard-earned work and you deserve something special. I bought several. But along the way I began to see things differently. 

My several hundred thousand dollar car sat in traffic like everyone else. My 500hp (yours 900hp) isn't getting to my destination any faster than anyone else. The car is uncomfortable (the 918 much worst) and all I get are people taking pictures of me like I am a freak. The car is totally useless in LA or SD traffic. If you want to exercise it you need to take to the canyons and hope police are not monitoring the fun areas. Not to mention the fact that every inexperienced  ricer wants to take a piece of you making that more dangerous to drive the car.

So after a few years of this I asked myself "why do I own this car?" I concluded there is no logical reason other than self congratulations and letting people know I have made it in life.

So I went back to Porsche and bought a TT Cab thinking it would sooth my conscious. It didn't help. The AWD is boring and the massive torque is only good in my dreams.

So I bought a GT3 and honestly it is the best of the bunch. Great car but yet again where do I drive it and experience what it is made for? To track it was a royal pain because of distances o tracks and insurance issues. So I decided to sell it. I am still debating what to replace it with if do.

I value a million dollars and maybe if I had multi millions the value wouldn't so great. But my priorities and values prevent me from buying a million dollar car not the money.Smiley

The good news for you is Porsche is opening their LA track soon and you will have a place to drive your R. But you do realize you TTS would give it a royal spanking on the track.Smiley Oh, BTW prefer Chopard over Rolex.Smiley

Finally, I don't mean to rain on your parade. You sort of called me out and I had to respond.Smiley
    --

I agree with you on many points.  Especially about the part where if you don't feel you are enjoying your cars (because it's just sitting in traffic) and you can't fully exploit its full potential, then you should definitely sell it.  

At the end of day, these things are just toys and they are meant to bring a smile to your face.  If they don't do that, then you are buying the wrong toys! Smiley

--

How do you position the non GT 911 and the Panamera or Cayenne in all this?

SciFrog:

How do you position the non GT 911 and the Panamera or Cayenne in all this?

I compare the non-GT cars to similar cars from other brands like Mercedes and BMW.  When I grew up as a kid, Mercedes was the car for me and my parents.  We never had one because we couldn't afford one, but I remember sitting in an old C class when I was 10 years old.  The door thunk, the leather smell, the short radio antenna, the single windshield wiper.....just WOW!  

So as you can imagine, I bought into Mercedes years later.  Unfortunately, Mercedes has changed with the times and they no longer produce cars from their glory days.  I had a total of 7 different Mercedes before I finally called it quits on the brand.  They all had electrical issues, reliability problems, quality issues and etc.  I had a few BMW M cars as well over the years, and I still have one in my collection, a 1988 E30 M3 Evo.  

I use the Cayenne Turbo and the Panamera GTS has my daily.  I keep the Cayenne Turbo oversea and I haven't had any major issues with the car in the past 8 years.  Changed the battery twice (because it sits for long period of time) and had to replace the hand brake kick pedal once (it would be stuck sometimes).  That's it.  My Panamera GTS (15000 miles so far) has been problem free so far.  My experience with the non-GT Porsche has been great so far.  Quality is far superior compared to their Mercedes and BMW counterpart, so I'm happy!  Do they represent the Porsche ethos? Not really, but I understand that they are necessary for the long term financial successful for the brand (so they can keep pumping out cars like the GT3RS, 911R and the 918 Spyder). 

--

Funny how experiences can differ. I have had less issues with both Ferraris and the Aston than the Porsches or Audi... My last two Cayennes were traded in with year long issues still not fixed in the end...

Did you find the Panamera GTS different than the turbo? Found it too boring.

ALDO:
    Lars997:

Again - tried to get one of those cars into my garage but it really seems to be impossible for me. 

On the other hand side - my friends wife has a part time job at Porsche and she just ordered one! Employees apparently have it much easier. He said that 50 cars are reserved for the employees and they have to hold it for 6 months minimum. His plan with the car is to get it trailed to his garage, wait 6 months and sell it. Come on - rather give that car to a real enthusiast which want to have it as a keeper! mail If I would have the chance again I would order a 918 just to get on the list for all future limited cars. Great move and investment of all of those which did it.

Lars, this information about employees is wrong. 
    20 cars are reserved for employees and you can not buy. It is kind of lottery. 
    Also that 918 customer will be preferred is just a rumor. If a dealer has bought a car he decides who will get them, period. Porsche can give dealer an extra allocation for some special customers. But for the cars a dealer gets regular, Porsche don´t even think a second to be involved who will get it. This applies for Germany, the rest of the world I have no idea.

Lot of fairy tales on forums like this.

Here is something from inside.

20160308013544.jpg

--

AM

Hi Aldo, thanks for bringing light into the darkness. So my friend was telling BS... let's see what he tells me if he can't get the car Smiley

thanks mate Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM