Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: The moment I've been waiting for...

March 1st, 2016

It is very early morning here in Sydney and I'm sitting on the Man O' War Steps enjoying a coffee on our last day in Australia. It is partly cloudy and has 21 degrees C. The dock is rocking and banging against the pillars. I can only imagine the beauty of this place when the Brits arrived here for the first time just a little over 200 years ago! The Sydney Museum does a great job rolling up this place's history.

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

The moment has come... It is checking out time. The suitcases are packed, the phones are charged, and we soon will be on our way to Sydney Airport where a QANTAS 747-400 flight will depart in the evening. My sweetheart's birthday flowers are still in the vase reminding me of a great vacation...

--

Boarding for QF 17 will start in a few minutes. Local time is 5:50 pm and scheduled departure is 6:25 :) It is not that busy at the airport, which is nice. We will definitely miss Sydney ...

--

It seems our flight will depart on time and I would say our plane is about half full which should help us get to LAX faster unless we will face strong headwinds somewhere along the route. The flight time is projected to be only 12 h and 40 min. I like that :) Pushing back now.

--

Take care Pilot, have a good flight and be safe, with new memories to cherish!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Safe journey home Pilot - Many thanks for the running commentary (and fantastic photos!)...kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

You only did Sydney right?

Sydney to Los Angeles

Winds favored RWY 34 for our takeoff roll and since we were light we were airborne fast. The climb to initial cruising altitude was uneventful (thankfully) and about one hour after departure our aircraft was comfortably cruising through darkness again.

The welcome on board was warm and friendly as always. Every QANTAS crew member is professional and very procedural which is crucial to aviation safety. The flight itself was smooth for the most part and right now we are passing the Hawaiian Islands again. The flight computer shows that we should reach our destination in about four hours which is slightly ahead of time. It is still dark outside and both my family crew members are asleep ;-) My pillow magically disappeared somehow... I wonder where it went? :)

Two hours later— we just had breakfast but I didn't feel hungry. I blame it on the circadian rhythm ;-) Outside air temperature is very cold (-55 degree Celsius at 11,887 meters or FL390). Remaining flight time to L.A. is 1 h and 49 min. ETA at LAX is 12:40 pm. The speed above ground shows as 1064 km/h. The wind is definitely pushing us in the right direction and helping us along.

What started out three weeks ago is slowly winding down. I can't wait to share the rest of our vacation through pictures and words. In many ways it was a very special trip sprinkled with touches of romance unlike any other...

Both my wife and daughter had a great time in Australia and hopefully we can fly there again soon!

--

We just landed at Los Angeles airport after 13 hours and  5 minutes, about 30 min early and are now taxiing to our arrival gate and final parking position. Total distance flown was 12,414 km.

Thanks to time travel (crossing the International Date Line) we arrived on the same day we departed in Sydney ;-)

--

I guess you haven't joined that naked swimming thingie for charity in Sydney? If yes, please post pictures. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Just before our departure from Sydney

Thanks Joost, I appreciate it very much! I took this A380 photo with my 6S just minutes before boarding our 747 :) We miss Sydney a lot even though we haven't been away long.

--

Thanks John, I tried my best without taking away too much vacation time. I will post more photos really soon.

--

SciFrog, we spent the first ten days in Seal Rocks (about 3 hours north of Sydney) for our beach vacation and then we stayed another ten days in Sydney to enjoy the city.

--

RC, you are more up to speed on these things than I am (though my daughter had heard about it apparently...). Anyways, I can't provide any naked pictures from that event. Smiley

--

Every ending has a beginning...

...and this is where this story starts (again). As you know my love for cars is similar to my love for flying. I still remember when I was little and my dad would fold paper airplanes for me. Fast forward to now, many flight hours later, when I'm flying with my loved ones to Australia once more. It was probably my best vacation ever...

We flew the A380 for the first time and I repeat: it is an exceptional aircraft. It is fitted with four very powerful engines that produce 72,000 pounds of thrust each (if my memory serves me right). Despite my expectations, given it's size, this airliner just screams down the runway and lifts off without struggle.

It took us roughly 15 hours before we reached the Australian continent. It is kind of cool to fly directly from one shoreline to another, covering endless amounts of water, to reach a beautiful place that's removed from many things ;-)

--

Love that last shot, looking north over the park to Port Hacking.... Pilot I can see, someday, a pied-à-terre on Manly Beach for you and your loved one (once little loved one off and into the big world).    

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac, I looked into this already but don't you have to be a permanent resident or Australian citizen before you can acquire real estate? I think that's what I read... Maybe I'll just send my little one over there, then we have an excuse to visit ;)

--

Non-residents can. There is a process and some restrictions but it is feasible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Investing-in-Australia/Owning-real-property-in-Australia/#F...

David

--

Seal Rocks...

...is where we rented this beautiful house for the first part of our Valentine's vacation. 

The movie Ex-Machina came to mind when I looked through the many layers of glass. For those that followed the Oscars this year, Ex-Machina received the award for best Visual Effects-- a well-deserved win-- and I'd highly recommend watching it, it's great on all levels. Smiley

Pilot:

4trac, I looked into this already but don't you have to be a permanent resident or Australian citizen before you can acquire real estate? I think that's what I read... Maybe I'll just send my little one over there, then we have an excuse to visit ;)

I was only teasing you.... !  But you're correct, the usual and easy way to own a place (talk to an agent and make an offer) is not possible there, and the workarounds that DJM48 mentions are maybe OK for the real high net worth types (corporate structures etc), or if you would be happy with a townhouse or condo (new ones are often structured to allow foreign buyers).  Most of us regulars to Oz just become happy as renters... if you find the perfect place and make it "your own", you end up knowing the owners of your place, make social connections, and in the long run your capital is hopefully tied up in higher return assets back home.  Works for us.... Smiley  In the meantime, enjoy your avatar car... the season is upon you.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Thank you 4trac and DJM48 for the info and clarification.

4trac, the avatar car is always enjoyed... regular exercise keeps her fit smiley

--

As colorful as our daughter... cool

I thought it'd be perfect to wrap up the Seal Rocks part of our vacation with a shot of our daughter on the beach... Besides, she always wants (and gets) to have the last word anyway. smiley

--

Stunning!  angel kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I dearly miss...

...the many romantic walks at sunrise with Mrs. Pilot.   In many ways this was a very special vacation. The vibe of the city and the feelings these surroundings spark are different and though I can't really explain why, this is what I experienced.

I understand why so many weddings take place here in Sydney. It is a fantastic place to get married and many people did while we were there... it was a leap year after all...smiley

--

John H:

Stunning!  angel kiss

The daughter...yes, indeed. Smiley Smiley

Pilot, I'm afraid you will get a lot of contact requests now...you shouldn't have posted that photo. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

That is the whole point RC! smiley  I'm trying to marry her off in Sydney....

--

It is time to fly home...

--

Pilot:

That is the whole point RC! smiley  I'm trying to marry her off in Sydney....

Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, she will take care of that herself, I just pray for your sake (and hers) that you like the guy. Smiley

--

I'm sure she will find someone nice, she's got a good head on her shoulders. I just hope he likes cars (or flying) so we have something to talk about. indecision

--

Haha you've opened pandora's box now Pilot!
    I have to disappoint you btw, don't have any link to Sydney 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM