Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

Christian, do you think that the ominous "other " R type model could even include a convertible, so basically an open top GT3 with MT and without wing? 

Grant:
    Mikla:

I cannot understand why Porsche is offering the old PCM technology in the R. How can a customer be satisfied with the old stuff if a basic Carrera brings the state of the art Porsche navigation and Car Play?

Are the customer who already ordered one concerned or you just don't care?

The R is a 991.1

The proper solution is to order Radio delete (no PCM)

The PCM is 'no cost option' (i.e. already included in the base price) so it would be better to spec it and then get your dealer to swap it out for "the hole" (a cheap part), and then swap the PCM back in IF you ever sell it.

wantone:

If I was you I would sell the Shelby and the SRT to make room for the R.

The SRT is a lease... Smiley

Yes, the Shelby would need to go if I decide to go for the 911 R. There is no way I could keep the Shelby.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

olli:

Christian, do you think that the ominous "other " R type model could even include a convertible, so basically an open top GT3 with MT and without wing? 

If Porsche is clever... I do not understand why they think GT3/RS owners would mind if Porsche uses the same tech in other cars. 

So far, I only have confirmation for the 991.2 GT3 and that third model is just a rumor which has appeared after the 911 R presentation. It would be amazing to see the next GTS with 911 R tech but I doubt it. The new bi-turbo charged 3.0 l engine is good for up to 500 hp, so why not use this one for the GTS?! So I assume that Porsche may plan a more regular 911 model with 911 R tech (but I wouldn't have too much hopes about those extra features like magnesium roof, carbon fenders/front hood, all the other light weight stuff, etc.) but I wonder how they could call it? 911 R? I doubt it. 911 RS? Wouldn't this name devaluate the 911 R? Maybe 911 GT? Would make sense but then, wouldn't the GTS actually be sportier (name-wise)? Difficult to say. I bet we are going to learn more over the next couple of months...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Just out of a curiosity I am looking forward to the first GT3s to have their fenders / hoods swapped to the R carbon fibre ones...

d997h:

Just out of a curiosity I am looking forward to the first GT3s to have their fenders / hoods swapped to the R carbon fibre ones...

Won't be cheap, not sure if it is worth it. Also not sure if Porsche will actually sell these parts without a valid 911 R VIN.

--

The hood is the RS hood, not cheap through the parts department.

The fenders is R specific, but will likely be very constrained due to supply issue, also not cheap.

--

RC:
    d997h:

Won't be cheap, not sure if it is worth it. Also not sure if Porsche will actually sell these parts without a valid 911 R VIN.

Well, you know the guys ... Smiley ...better to have something expensive from Porsche... It may not be the same, but the side scoops of the Cayman GT4 can be ordered from Weissach without presenting a GT4 VIN...

The only thing I want from the R are the black plastic bits on the steering wheel. I would love to change the silver ones on my RS with these ones. Hopefully I can order them and that you can have them without ordering a complete steering wheel. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

d997h:
    RC:
    d997h:

Well, you know the guys ... Smiley ...better to have something expensive from Porsche... It may not be the same, but the side scoops of the Cayman GT4 can be ordered from Weissach without presenting a GT4 VIN...

The GT4 is not a limited edition car... Smiley

I tried to get the black headlight rings from the Sport Classic for my 997 GTS and believe me, I tried really hard and had access to pretty much every source possible but it was...impossible. Apparently there weren't many available and there was a strict policy not to release them without proper Sport Classic VIN and the reason for it (accident, etc.). Limited edition products seem to be handled in a more restrictive way, which is understandable.

--

logic.jpg

d997h:

logic.jpg

When you have ears like that you shouldn't draw attention to them by using the word "sound".  Smiley

--

fritz

@fritz, hmmm, Porsche you seem to know well, but trekkie stuff, I have my doubts... Smiley

RC:
    olli:

If Porsche is clever... I do not understand why they think GT3/RS owners would mind if Porsche uses the same tech in other cars. 

So far, I only have confirmation for the 991.2 GT3 and that third model is just a rumor which has appeared after the 911 R presentation. It would be amazing to see the next GTS with 911 R tech but I doubt it. The new bi-turbo charged 3.0 l engine is good for up to 500 hp, so why not use this one for the GTS?! So I assume that Porsche may plan a more regular 911 model with 911 R tech (but I wouldn't have too much hopes about those extra features like magnesium roof, carbon fenders/front hood, all the other light weight stuff, etc.) but I wonder how they could call it? 911 R? I doubt it. 911 RS? Wouldn't this name devaluate the 911 R? Maybe 911 GT? Would make sense but then, wouldn't the GTS actually be sportier (name-wise)? Difficult to say. I bet we are going to learn more over the next couple of months...

911 R Spyder

911 GT Spyder

911 GT3 Spyder

911 GT

911 Spyder

911 GTC

All the above with Targa if they come up with something else for the roof?

Many names to choose from.

RC, on another note, the R is a step in the right direction but it is not the car you want. You want PDK, no wing and back seat, if it ever happens you also want convertible. And even then Porsche might make another car you really want (a better turbo S?) and that you could drive and lease without thinking too much about it. Your wife might be very wise.

I always worry when I see people plunk huge money (as % of wealth) into an asset like a car. A car can be damaged, stolen or burn to the ground. Even worse it could be partially damaged and a repaired car would be worth much less (spend 4 years going through an insurance battle for a yacht, trust me it is always worse than you think in the end). Leases seem to be a good fit for you, monthly controlled cost, no resale risk and you even seem to get better price than paying cash, and you fill your desire to always have the latest tech or toy...

d997h:

@fritz, hmmm, Porsche you seem to know well, but trekkie stuff, I have my doubts... Smiley

First contact with the Vulcans is almost 50 years away...have patience...in time they'll understand

Edit: Hope I didn't violate the temporal prime directive? angry

/EndTrekkieMode

d997h:

You may well be right there. After all, “When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” 
    (Originally attributed to Sherlock Holmes, but also copied by a guy called Spock).   Smiley

--

fritz

SciFrog:
    RC:
    olli:

911 R Spyder

911 GT Spyder

911 GT3 Spyder

911 GT

911 Spyder

911 GTC

All the above with Targa if they come up with something else for the roof?

Many names to choose from.

RC, on another note, the R is a step in the right direction but it is not the car you want. You want PDK, no wing and back seat, if it ever happens you also want convertible. And even then Porsche might make another car you really want (a better turbo S?) and that you could drive and lease without thinking too much about it. Your wife might be very wise.

I'm afraid you are right, I would love PDK and back seats in this car. Yes, a convertible would be nice as well but not a must. Actually, I want a 911 Turbo S with a proper sound and without the stupid wing. Smiley Smiley

I always worry when I see people plunk huge money (as % of wealth) into an asset like a car. A car can be damaged, stolen or burn to the ground. Even worse it could be partially damaged and a repaired car would be worth much less (spend 4 years going through an insurance battle for a yacht, trust me it is always worse than you think in the end). Leases seem to be a good fit for you, monthly controlled cost, no resale risk and you even seem to get better price than paying cash, and you fill your desire to always have the latest tech or toy...

I cannot and will not buy a car as an asset. I could have done that with the 918 but I wasn't crazy enough. Now my financial situation is complicated because I didn't plan for any new toy (told you guys, won't throw money out the window anymore after my 997 C2 GTS Cab, Panamera Turbo S and 991 Turbo S "adventures"), so everything went into certain investments. Which is good in my opinion. Leasing the 911 R would only make sense if I get rid of the GT500 and the GTS. Not sure I am ready for that. Yes, I could drive to work in the 911 R without the stripes and decals, I could even wrap the car in black foil, so nobody realizes what it is. However, do I really want to do that? 

Now I am awaiting the lease offer and I will do my calculations afterwards. Also, it is very likely that if I get this car, all my called-in favors will be gone...if you get my point. Not sure if I want this, who knows what amazing toy is going to come along the away and I cannot get it then?!

So right now, I do a lot of mind games (involving you guys and your feedback really helps, thank you!!!) because I really love this car but in the end, I think I am going to pass. Too much "sacrifice" involved for a car which isn't 100% perfect for me, well...not even 90%. Not worth it I'm afraid. Stil...I always wanted a Carrera with GT3 tech and this dream won't fade away but maybe Porsche will do it again at some point...or finally offer a wing delete option for the 991.2 GT3. I would get this car instantly. I hate wings. The only car I would buy with a wing would be a GT3 RS (I know, I know, it sounds weird for someone who doesn't like wings but the RS "deserves" the wing, different story).

Thanks again for everyone's input and feedback, very very helpful. Smiley Smiley

--

Lease it, enjoy it and trade it in if a GT3 with wing-delete ever comes by. Simple. kiss

I really don't understand why the can't make a GT3 (or call it what they want) with the options to delete the wing and add back the rear seats .  The R is almost perfect for my tastes. I would love one in GT Silver with no stripes.

I just hope that they'll make something like this as a regular production model one day.

FlatSix911:

I really don't understand why the can't make a GT3 with the options to delete the wing and add back the rear seats. The R is almost perfect for my tastes. I would love one in GT Silver with no stripes.

I just hope that they'll make something like this as a regular production model one day.

Probably just easier and more profitable to just sell you a super high-spec C2S or GTS.

Gnil:

The only thing I want from the R are the black plastic bits on the steering wheel. I would love to change the silver ones on my RS with these ones. Hopefully I can order them and that you can have them without ordering a complete steering wheel. 

but then you still have all the shiny faux chrome highlights  on the edges or ridges of  all the plastic buttons and switches of the center dash , door and console ..that the R seems to have also banished .......but you can simply sand those chrome highlights off with some 600-1000 grit paper ...like I did in the 70s/80s when the full black-out look inside and outside was in vogue ! 

--

2016  991 Carrera GTS  " PCA 60 "  Club Coupe       orig owner ; 1 of 60 

Christian, I think you would be making a mistake if you go for the 991R.

Consider that while the 911R has a lot of hype right now, it does not tick the right boxes for you in two very important aspects, it has a manual box that is slower and shorter geared not intended for acceleration or autobahn, and has no rear seats so you won't be able to enjoy with the family nor will your wife if she grabs it. She likely won't like the car.

Consider that just next year there will be a GT3 mk2 that will have the same gearbox and a better engine that save for the lack of rear wing will probable be even better than the 991R and freely available. The fact that the 991R is limited edition does nothing for you, you intend to use and put miles on it not keep it in a corner of the garage to speculate with it, which is risky too since next year with the new GT3 the 911R hype will die down quite a bit.

Consider that you would be giving up the GTS which is a car that you really like compared to your previous ones, or like more at least, and that there will likely not be another GTS like it because the next one will most likely have the turbo engine. So if you trade it its gone.

IMO the operation of trading in the two cars for a 911R, calling the favors, moving the money, etc just doesn't make any sense for you. The 991R is a step in the right direction but far from worth it. If it had PDK, rear seats and would not be limited edition I would say go for it, but not for this 911R.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Here are some photo's from Pistonheads taken at Geneva showing the rear diffuser and the stripes which are a stain/matt finish.

Diffuser.JPG

Stripes 1.JPG

Stripes 2.JPG

MKW:
    Gnil:

but then you still have all the shiny faux chrome highlights  on the edges or ridges of  all the plastic buttons and switches of the center dash , door and console ..that the R seems to have also banished .......but you can simply sand those chrome highlights off with some 600-1000 grit paper ...like I did in the 70s/80s when the full black-out look inside and outside was in vogue ! 

--

2016  991 Carrera GTS  " PCA 60 "  Club Coupe       orig owner ; 1 of 60 

Not sure I will dare to sand stone those , but I must see if I could also change them. It makes the inside look so much more sporty. I don't like any chrome / silver bits in the 911. In that sence the R is perfect. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

ISUK:

Here are some photo's from Pistonheads taken at Geneva showing the rear diffuser and the stripes which are a stain/matt finish.

Diffuser.JPG

Stripes 1.JPG

Stripes 2.JPG

You beat me to it! I was going to upload them here as well, but thanks for cross linking my post. 

I will add the centre lock picture below as well. Have the torque requirements changed from the GT3 (I had 400nm in my head). 

Carlos from Spain:

Consider that while the 911R has a lot of hype right now, it does not tick the right boxes for you in two very important aspects, it has a manual box that is slower and shorter geared not intended for acceleration or autobahn, and has no rear seats so you won't be able to enjoy with the family nor will your wife if she grabs it. She likely won't like the car.

Carlos - I think you are confused on one aspect.  The 911R is the best NA Autobahn 911 that Porsche has ever made.  It's geared for 323 kph (201 mph).  Less aero drag than GT3 and RS, with 500hp.  Should be geared perfect for high speed!  Acceleration will also be excellent - no launch control, so maybe not a great drag racer.  But as the lightest and most powerful and most torque of any NA 911, it will be very quick once under way. Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:

Carlos - I think you are confused on one aspect.  The 911R is the best NA Autobahn 911 that Porsche has ever made.  It's geared for 323 kph (201 mph).  Less aero drag than GT3 and RS, with 500hp.  Should be geared perfect for high speed!  Acceleration will also be excellent - no launch control, so maybe not a great drag racer.  But as the lightest and most powerful and most torque of any NA 911, it will be very quick once under way. Smiley

Thats precisely why I don't preffer it for autobahn, less drag due to less downforce will give more top speed but sacrificing high speed stability, the most important thing you want in the autobahn, autobahn driving is not about absolute top/max speed but safely driving at high speeds. Also for that type of driving I would prefer the fast, smooth and effortless PDK than the 6-speed manual. Just put the two on the high speed nurburgring and see the lap time difference.

The 991R is perfect for twisty roads and suchSmiley but for autobahn I would take a GT3 any day Smiley

--

nberry:

To me the R is the rip off of this century. 

Christian, you would be crazy to buy one. Unless you plan to keep it as a collector item don't even think about it.

I think you are way off base with these comments. Reminds of when you told me to never buy a Grigio Silverstone 458, and how it would be a resale disaster Smiley

I was surprised / disappointed to find that the stripes are just stick ons and not painted on when I had a look around the car. Do we know if the final production car will also only have stickers?

Carlos from Spain:
    The 991R is perfect for twisty roads and suchSmiley but for autobahn I would take a GT3 any day Smiley

--

Perfect for a relaxing slow drive on a twisty road. Rev matching when slowing down for corners and the sound will be wonderful.

But for spirited driving on a twisty mountain road, it will not beat a PDK GT3 or a GT3RS for the experience, one can concentrate on the act of driving much more and be much faster. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM