Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

I reckon a good deal of the fuss over a manual GT3 is simply because there isn't one. It will indeed be interesting how manual vs PDK figures stack up when offered in a similarly-specced and priced car. When this happened on the normal 911s, sales of manuals evaporated. I don't hear many complaints about a lack of manual 918, either.

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Targa Tim:

^ people asked you for a R?  this is too funny.

it will be easier to just sweet talk Whoopsy to sell his when he is done with it.

I kind of get the feeling that many are desperate to get one and after seeing the specs and the price tag, I understand why. To be honest, I do not know if the limitation to 991 pieces was such a good idea but on the other hand, I have a gut feeling that Porsche will surprise us with some R goodies in the 991.2 GT3 or another 911 model (not GTS though).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

SciFrog:

That's what I read: they will make the R a regular production car and that's a great thing, actually lot of great announcements from Porsche.

Not quite the current R but similar. They do not want to devalue the current limited edition 911 R.

As far as Nick post, I just couldn't help thinking that so many things I hate with Ferrari, Porsche is now doing exactly the same. I can understand your enthusiasm now that you are in the Porsche inner circle and you probably are a better ambassador than most other 918 owners. You are not getting the TdF because Ferrari didn't let you buy the LaF yet you try to get two R?

Surely Porsche will renew the exercise with the next 918 segment. How many will they build seeing the now success of the 918? In principle I like the program where 918 owners get first dib on special models. But TWO? I don't care about the R but if the was the car I wanted and if 918 owners get multiple of a limited production I would be absolutely livid and would boycott Porsche for letting it happen. So glad I don't have to play these silly games to get the cars I want and so glad that I don't try to pursue the supercar segment.

Most people wouldn't even know of the VIP program without some "members" spilling the beans. This is the disadvantage of the internet, you cannot hide things for long. I do not care, I understand why Porsche has to attract a certain customer base and customer loyalty, other car manufacturers do the same.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Leawood911:

At Porsche 911 prices they should all have gt3 engines.  Or whatever the future turbo equivalent is. There can't be such huge cost saving anymore now that the mezger is gone. Especially if all engines are the same. Manual or PDK of course.  The way it is now I feel like you have a choice between an outlet store version 911 which depreciates like a rock with limited usability (no track days)  or a true Motorsports Porsche which is too precious to drive every day.  We never had this problem with the air cooled cars. 

Not sure if true, I have no insight in production cost calculations but the GT3 RS engine is rumored to be around 20-25% more expensive (manufacturing cost) than the current 991.2 bi-turbo engine, so yes, I think cost is a factor in the decision. 20-25% may not sound much but actually, it is huge.

--

ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:

Just got a call from my dealer (now Hahn Gruppe). He told me that no customer will get 911 r from him. The owner family decided to take the car for their collection. They do not want to make all the customer angry if they don't get the car and one will get.

What a bullshit. I asked why not put all names in a bag a let some sexy girl pull one name out. This isn't possible - second bullshit. Porsche is selling 20 cars to their employees on this way. 

So Hahn decided to make profit with this car. I am not sure if Porsche is amused about this as I am not sure about all the unsatisfied customers.

Has someone else here made similar  experiences with Hahn Gruppe?

Actually, I heard that Porsche decides who gets a car and who doesn't but why are you surprised that the owner of a dealership wouldn't want a car for himself? He is not obliged to sell it to a customer and since the owner of a dealership has good ties to Porsche... Better than someone who flips the car for a profit (unless the dealer himself does it, which would be a shame).

No Porsche has no right to decide to whom the dealer sell the car. This applies to the cars the dealer gets by allocation. Porsche can give dealer extra car for special customers, like me. Even in this case the dealer could, theoretically, sell it to someone other. This is by law. Dealer is buying from Porsche Deutschland and after that he can sell it to everyone he likes.

If you do not want leasing you can make a classical financing with the same interest rates. Then you have the car at the end to a fixed rate.

Yes and no. Of course cost would be basically the same but I do not have a fixed monthly income I can rely on, my income varies strongly from month to month, fixed cost is the same though, so I prefer a lease with an initial payment, so I can keep my monthly rates low. Yes, I could take money out of my investments stuff but this would be more expensive. Just as a hint (I just have the numbers in front of me): Last year, a bad year for me, I had a capital gain (investments) of 18%. The years before over 20% each year and in one year even 36% (didn't even realize that). So the money stays invested and I try to live and buy stuff with the money I make on a daily basis with my job, which isn't always easy I'm afraid.

--

Whoopsy:

How about one more interesting tidbits.

Walliser would loved to be able to drive a 918 every day, he can't as they don't have any cars anymore, all the prototypes have been crushed, what's left are the customer cars, press cars and the pre-productions that's being used for events.

I asked what's his alternative, he can basically order any car he wants, and he ordered a 991.2 Turbo as his daily.

I think they are not many options available but could you share the spec that you have ordered?

Don't know if this has been posted before... But this 918 owner explain the Porsche VIP program in the US. Won't comment anything about my thoughts of this guy though angrySmiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnrrouU-jI

Confirmed today i have the 911 R. Really happy and also Gerard Larousse have one :)

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

Congratulations, good news!!! Smiley

--

Lukas:

Don't know if this has been posted before... But this 918 owner explain the Porsche VIP program in the US. Won't comment anything about my thoughts of this guy though angrySmiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnrrouU-jI

This guy is the typical YouTuber...he gives people what they want. If he would be too serious (or appear too well educated), half of the people wouldn't watch his channel. Smiley Do not underestimate his intelligence. 

My son sometimes watches videos on YouTube of people playing games. So he basically watches some young people playing a game my son also has for his PS4 and he enjoys watching these videos, for whatever weird reason. These guys have MILLIONS of subscribers and even more clicks and make tons of money. Not because intellectuals or serious people watch this stuff but kids and adolescents. Amazing, how haven't I thought of it earlier? I could have made millions in the past. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

Not Easy to have one the sélection is do by Porsche France or Porsche AG 

--

LP997:

Confirmed today i have the 911 R. Really happy and also Gerard Larousse have one :)

Congratulations, great combo with the RS 

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

LP997:
    RC:

Not Easy to have one the sélection is do by Porsche France or Porsche AG 

I know, this is where the problem lies. Also it seems that Porsche doesn't want these cars to fall into the wrong hands, meaning resellers or speculators. 

I am still waiting for my lease offer, so I can actually see if I can get one for sure but for me, the financial part is the problem here, I do not want to risk some investments for a car and I don't plan to sell the 911 R if I get one, so the financial part needs to be rocksolid. Won't be easy, so right now I actually think I won't do it, which is sad but this is how life works. Smiley

--

Porker:
    LP997:

Congratulations, great combo with the RS 

Thanks 😉

--

I don't see anything wrong with having a VIP program and giving preferential treatment to their better customers and keep track of and exclude the flippers. There are limits on what that preferential treatment can be of course, like for example if an ordinary customer has his name on a list for a car that should be honored and a VIP should not cut in line, but the VIP can be told before the ordinary customers and be able to get on the list before them that way. Same result but totally different thing.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Now whats for you the best combo color and option to get in this car? 

--

Carlos from Spain:

I don't see anything wrong with having a VIP program and giving preferential treatment to their better customers and keep track of and exclude the flippers. There are limits on what that preferential treatment can be of course, like for example if an ordinary customer has his name on a list for a car that should be honored and a VIP should not cut in line, but the VIP can be told before the ordinary customers and be able to get on the list before them that way. Same result but totally different thing.

I agree. VIPs shouldn't be able to take away a car from a customer who already got "promised" one but if they get preferential treatment, this is OK to me because they are special customers and mostly loyal customers. I know that many get angry about such preferential treatment but hey, we are living in a free market economy and not in communism (where such a car wouldn't be available to anyone, simply because nobody in communism would make such a car LOL). Also it is very understandable that Porsche wants to make sure that the limited edition doesn't end up in the hands of speculators but in the hands of people who actually drive this car. Seeing this car on the road and at Porsche meetings is actually the best advertisement for Porsche. Ford seems to think the same regarding the new Ford GT and I am actually happy that manufacturers started to put more thought into this stuff.

--

Now I've been reading a lot of the Porsche related threads on this forum for quite some time and there are two things that I can read out of a lot of posts here.

Number one: Porsche seems to do things right from a financial point of view by creating extra demand with a rumored to be strictly limited GT3 RS and now the actually limited production 911 R and it turns out this works perfectly, as people are always keen to own something special.

Number two though is that I get the imagination, that regular (non motorsports) Porsches are no longer good enough, so Porsche therefore seems to do something wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong - it seems like the car a lot of you want is the combination of a daily driver and a weekend fun car, as RC calls it and for that purpose the motorsports cars are too hardcore, yet the regular Carreras (and Turbos) aren't involving enough anymore. For me this is the very spot where I see a GTS model, if not a complyingly specced Carrera S. Sadly not having been able to drive a Porsche yet, I cannot imagine this is only because of the turbo engines and the different accoustics compared to a N/A engine.

So I'd like to hear your oppinions: what is it that AP and the motorsports department do better than their Stuttgart colleagues?

Rotbart:

Now I've been reading a lot of the Porsche related threads on this forum for quite some time and there are two things that I can read out of a lot of posts here.

Number one: Porsche seems to do things right from a financial point of view by creating extra demand with a rumored to be strictly limited GT3 RS and now the actually limited production 911 R and it turns out this works perfectly, as people are always keen to own something special.

Number two though is that I get the imagination, that regular (non motorsports) Porsches are no longer good enough, so Porsche therefore seems to do something wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong - it seems like the car a lot of you want is the combination of a daily driver and a weekend fun car, as RC calls it and for that purpose the motorsports cars are too hardcore, yet the regular Carreras (and Turbos) aren't involving enough anymore. For me this is the very spot where I see a GTS model, if not a complyingly specced Carrera S. Sadly not having been able to drive a Porsche yet, I cannot imagine this is only because of the turbo engines and the different accoustics compared to a N/A engine.

So I'd like to hear your oppinions: what is it that AP and the motorsports department do better than their Stuttgart colleagues?

Not sure if they do something better, I rather think they have more leeway and can "experiment" with low(er) production series cars. I remember I wrote a very nice (several pages) letter to Porsche and I know for a fact that development engineers have read it. Actually, I had the chance to discuss is with some very important people in the (development) chain. Many of my points seem to have been received well, they made it into production and since I do not think that I am that important, my estimated guess is that I wasn't the only one who made the same suggestions and used the same criticism.

So the good part is: Porsche listens to their customers. Kudos to them. The bad part is: It is a bit too late (for me) and apparently it affects only cars which are pretty limited in availability or difficult to get. This doesn't mean I do not like their "new" way but I wish they would have done it before I threw out some money for cars I actually didn't really want but had no choice because I didn't have anything else to choose from.

--

LP997:

I will be your faithful servant if you do as follows:

- GT-silver/Cocoa leather/Porsche striping on the side/platinum wheels/LWB seats/single mass flywheel/plastic rear window.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

LP997:

This is just my opinion but if you are getting a 991R, this is a special limited edition model so I would get it in the same color combo they have used for their Geneva presentation and videos and marketing, since this combo will be the most recognisable as the 991R. The more you stray away from it the more it will loose it's visual 991R identity, not quite of course but you get what I mean. There is some leeway of course, for example, you would need to stick with white exterior but you can go for green stripes since the stripes are unique to the 991R, and they will be recognisable as 991R no matter the color. just my two cents.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

To be honest, I would take the 911 R as it is available in the configurator.

Only changes:

1. Black painted rims

2. Red stripes and black Porsche decals on the side

3. Full racing shell

4. Black Bi-Xenon lights

5. Headlight washing system covers painted (white)

6. One mass flywheel

7. 90 l fuel tank

8. PVTS prewired (it is highly recommended to install PVTS or a similar system on this car)

9. Two-Zone A/C (everyone I talked to recommended this and since it is free of charge...)

10. PCM (same thing, everyone recommended getting it)

11. Online services (doesn't add weight )

12. Hands-free option (cell phone)

13. Digital radio (important for Europe with PCM)

Just my personal opinion though...

--

RC:

To be honest, I would take the 911 R as it is available in the configurator.

Only changes:

1. Black painted rims

2. Red stripes and black Porsche decals on the side

3. Full racing shell

4. Black Bi-Xenon lights

5. Headlight washing system covers painted (white)

6. One mass flywheel

7. 90 l fuel tank

8. PVTS prewired (it is highly recommended to install PVTS or a similar system on this car)

9. Two-Zone A/C (everyone I talked to recommended this and since it is free of charge...)

10. PCM (same thing, everyone recommended getting it)

11. Online services (doesn't add weight )

12. Hands-free option (cell phone)

13. Digital radio (important for Europe with PCM)

Just my personal opinion though...

Full Racing shell?

--

LWBs or P11 seats.

KresoF1:

LWBs or P11 seats.

Ok :)

--

1457010097594image.jpegThe silver look good to me with the Green stripes and side black decals

--

Rotbart wrote:
    "Now I've been reading a lot of the Porsche related threads on this forum for quite some time and there are two things that I can read out of a lot of posts here.

So I'd like to hear your oppinions: what is it that AP and the motorsports department do better than their Stuttgart colleagues?"

fritz wrote:
    You have to keep in mind that the opinions you read on sites like Rennteam are those of real car enthusiasts, who might not be entirely representative of typical mainstream buyers  -  even of sports cars like Porsches. The suggestion that "regular Porsches are no longer good enough" is not supported by the sales figures of those models, which are as good as or better than they have ever been.

The fact that cars generally are not as "involving" as they used to be has as much to do with traffic and road conditions as with the cars, and with the fact that these conditions are forcing drivers to expect cars to be "low maintenance" in terms of their involvement and inputs during daily commutes or routine journeys. 

Porsche recognised this and has produced sportier variants of its base models to try to satisfy the wants of more enthusiastic buyers while still selling large enough numbers of cars to remain viable as a manufacturer. (For the sake of this discussion we can ignore the fact that Porsche was absorbed into the VW Group for reasons which had nothing to do with Porsche's product range). The success of the GT models in the last 17 years has probably surprised Porsche as much as it has anyone else. 

The GT variants of the 911 and now the Cayman build up on the foundation of the base versions of those models. Without good, well developed base models the GT versions would also be unlikely to be as good or as successful as they are. The GT variants come to market some time after the base versions because of the fact that the base version has to be thoroughly developed and tested before work on the sportier variant can be sensibly started. It's not so much a question of the Motorsports department doing its work better than the series-model platform group, its just that the Motorsports department is allowed the freedom of developing more extreme variants on the basis of the bread-and-butter models which are better suited to the expectations of the more enthusiastic buyers who are prepared to pay more for them, which in turn can justify building smaller runs. 

FWIW, the development work on the base models is also done at the R&D Centre in Weissach, within the same perimeter fence as the Motorsports department. All the cars are then assembled at the main factory in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. 

--

fritz

Fritz - excellent post kiss

I cannot understand why Porsche is offering the old PCM technology in the R. How can a customer be satisfied with the old stuff if a basic Carrera brings the state of the art Porsche navigation and Car Play?

Are the customer who already ordered one concerned or you just don't care?

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2014 Mercedes A45 AMG - 2013 Mini Cooper S - Cayman GT4 (soon)

Mikla:

I cannot understand why Porsche is offering the old PCM technology in the R. How can a customer be satisfied with the old stuff if a basic Carrera brings the state of the art Porsche navigation and Car Play?

Are the customer who already ordered one concerned or you just don't care?

No cost option, don't really care. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690768 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410004 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774918 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM