Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

Gnil:
    bluelines:
    I think Porsche has finally got it now, there is a big demand for more "simple" cars like the GT4 and the R. Expect more to come.

I also bet this is a new line and we will see a new range in this idea coming in the near future .

I also have been slightly thinking if I should sell my RS and get the R ( If I can )  . But I am not convinced . For a collector it would make sense, but for my usage , I am not sure .   On open roads, one can not exploit the fun potential of the R anyway, and it is not really made to go on the track . 

I wouldn't consider that, your RS is great and will always be the better car on track.

However, since you were considering a 997 on the side as the purer car to enjoy on the street, a 991 R might be a good alternative. Spec it as light and as pure as you can and it'll be an event on the road.

Come resale time, I'm sure you wouldn't have lost much, if anything.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

I don't see what the big deal is about this car.

If it's not designed to be the fastest and you're after a manual for involvement, why not just buy one of many 997 GT3 cars? Is it about having the fastest/best of the slowest/worst GT3s or something?

noone1:

If it's not designed to be the fastest and you're after a manual for involvement, why not just buy one of many 997 GT3 cars? Is it about having the fastest/best of the slowest/worst GT3s or something?

It's a 500hp N/A manual motorsport 911 without the boy-racer looks but all the lightweight features and gorgeous brown leather buckets. What's not to like? Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    noone1:

It's a 500hp N/A manual motorsport 911 without the boy-racer looks but all the lightweight features and gorgeous brown leather buckets. What's not to like? Smiley

I guess I just see it as no bigger a deal than if they just removed the wing from a 997 GT3 RS.

noone1:

I guess I just see it as no bigger a deal than if they just removed the wing from a 997 GT3 RS.

Plus the underbody aero and all the cool retro design elements (and 110 pounds lighter)...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Lighter is not  good argument...

The R is a cool car and shows there is a little bit of hope with new Porsche models. The 997 RS is an older car, you can't buy it new and spec it your way. The no wing is a big deal in Germany in particular.

SciFrog:

Then you are not familiar (or have an appreciation) for the original 911R...

My 911 that weighs more than 1,100 pounds (500 kg) less than the new 911R drives very differently than cars that weigh a few hundred pounds more.  If you've never driven a lightweight 911, give it a try...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

SciFrog:

The R is a cool car and shows there is a little bit of hope with new Porsche models. The 997 RS is an older car, you can't buy it new and spec it your way. The no wing is a big deal in Germany in particular.

And why would lighter not be a good argument in terms of sports cars? Light is everything...

--

Lighter is good. The R is not lighter than a 991.1 once AC and such are put back in the car. Seriously no AC? This is not track car.

SciFrog:

Lighter is good. The R is not lighter than a 991.1 once AC and such are put back in the car. Seriously no AC? This is not track car.

I would absolutely get radio and AC deletes.  And I would also drive it on the track...

--

Sorry but then you should not buy an R. At the minimum a GT3 or RS with a cage and 6 point harness... Even these are road cars...

noone1:

It is good for short drives in or around Monaco. No track use, no long trips. More discreet exterior with no wing. Hence, it is a marketing plot to capture a certain clientele.

SciFrog:

It's 1250kg (dry) despite having the 4 litre, C4-body and wide wheels. It's a light car... 

--

Porker:
    noone1:

what is not to like?? the manual, the retro brown leather inlays and the harris tweet center inlays on the buckets. in short, i don't like the car except the stripes, which i might put on my GT3 RS. the GT3 991.2 will be an  interesting car though...also the GT2 RS (first on the list with my dealer::::))))

pmarkow:
    Porker:
    noone1:

what is not to like?? the manual, the retro brown leather inlays and the harris tweet center inlays on the buckets. in short, i don't like the car except the stripes, which i might put on my GT3 RS. the GT3 991.2 will be an  interesting car though...also the GT2 RS (first on the list with my dealer::::))))

I like everything on the car except the stripes, I think we like different styles. SmileySmiley

Give me a GT-silver 911R, black or platinum wheels, no stickers except 'Porsche' lettering on the side, brown leather, single mass flywheel/plastic window/li-ion battery and I'm a very happy customer.

--

Porker:
    pmarkow:
    Porker:
    noone1:

I like everything on the car except the stripes, I think we like different styles. SmileySmiley

Give me a GT-silver 911R, black or platinum wheels, no stickers except 'Porsche' lettering on the side, brown leather, single mass flywheel/plastic window/li-ion battery and I'm a very happy customer.

--

That would be my exact spec! Smiley

The good news keeps on coming 😜😜😜😜😜😜

'no poetry this time but this is nearly (I said nearly) as good :

Thank me later 

Porsche GT3 guru Andreas Preuninger has confirmed the six-speed manual gearbox used in the 911 R will be available as an option on the next generation of GT3 as well.

However, the track-focused GT3 RS will remain PDK only.

He confirmed his cars will retain natural aspiration “for the foreseeable future” with the sole exception of the next GT2 RS due in 2017. Contrary to those who maintain the new 718 Cayman will only accept four-cylinder engines, Preuninger said there will be a new Cayman GT4 and it will have six cylinders.

Porsche will also look to offer more 'purist' models in the future as part of regular production runs if the 911 R is a success.

The 911 R will be limited to 991 units because Preuninger didn't want to make any more or have the R become a regular production model in order to preserve the car's exclusivity, as with the original 1967 R, which the new car plays homage to.

However, Preuninger said that "if the reaction is as strong as we believe, we have to find a way to produce a car like that in future models without an R badge".

Preuninger also said there was more to come from his GT division and the 991-generation 911. He said there "was a book open with the turbo engine and the GT2" in particular.

"The GT2 plays a different role with GTs. It has to be the ultimate beast, not a widow maker but a car you have to respect and is not too compliant."

As for the R, Preuninger said that the original prototype was born in winter 2013 out of a development car made for the 991 GT3 equipped with a manual gearbox. This was created for back-to-back testing with the PDK-equipped GT3 that was chosen for production.

"We had a GT3 manual test car left and we all loved it," said Preuninger. "The manual still had many positive sides. So we took the spoiler off the test car, added some lightweight stuff, some stripes and a classic interior. At this point, I took it to the chairman. He liked it, but we had no engineering capacity so only started work 13 months ago. That's a short time, so I insisted on all the decision making and a long, long leash from the board."

The original plan was to make 600 units but this increased to 991 following strong initial feedback when details first appeared on the Internet.

"The new 911 R. Old school. New thrill." (Official Video)

Smiley SmileySmiley

"Ready to Rock. The new 911 R." (Official Video)

"Ready to Rock. The new 911 R." -- Video Link

...time to turn up the volume! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

wtdoom:

Thank me later 

Porsche GT3 guru Andreas Preuninger has confirmed the six-speed manual gearbox used in the 911 R will be available as an option on the next generation of GT3 as well.

He confirmed his cars will retain natural aspiration “for the foreseeable future” with the sole exception of the next GT2 RS due in 2017. Contrary to those who maintain the new 718 Cayman will only accept four-cylinder engines, Preuninger said there will be a new Cayman GT4 and it will have six cylinders.

Porsche will also look to offer more 'purist' models in the future as part of regular production runs if the 911 R is a success.

The 911 R will be limited to 991 units because Preuninger didn't want to make any more or have the R become a regular production model in order to preserve the car's exclusivity, as with the original 1967 R, which the new car plays homage to.

However, Preuninger said that "if the reaction is as strong as we believe, we have to find a way to produce a car like that in future models without an R badge".

Preuninger also said there was more to come from his GT division and the 991-generation 911. He said there "was a book open with the turbo engine and the GT2" in particular.

"The GT2 plays a different role with GTs. It has to be the ultimate beast, not a widow maker but a car you have to respect and is not too compliant."

As for the R, Preuninger said that the original prototype was born in winter 2013 out of a development car made for the 991 GT3 equipped with a manual gearbox. This was created for back-to-back testing with the PDK-equipped GT3 that was chosen for production.

"We had a GT3 manual test car left and we all loved it," said Preuninger. "The manual still had many positive sides. So we took the spoiler off the test car, added some lightweight stuff, some stripes and a classic interior. At this point, I took it to the chairman. He liked it, but we had no engineering capacity so only started work 13 months ago. That's a short time, so I insisted on all the decision making and a long, long leash from the board."

The original plan was to make 600 units but this increased to 991 following strong initial feedback when details first appeared on the Internet.

Thank you!!

--

Grant:
    wtdoom:

Thank me later 

Thank you!!

You mean for saving you from more poetry don't you 😔

"Am I the only guy in the world that thinks the 911R is a cynical exploitation of the stupid situation created b NOT making a manual GT3? And also that it's going to be bought not just by genuine enthusiasts, but mostly by wannabe Porsche poseurs keen to tell the world just how much they love their cynical Porsche overlords?" - BTG Facebook page

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I still digesting the information, photographs and videos of the 911R but at this juncture, this one appears more of a collector's car versus a daily driver, weekend car, or track day car.  However, that said, I do appreciate the manual transmission with the GT3 RS engine.

No stickers for me

I don't get it.

So it's the perfect car for people who don't want to be seen with a wing, yet it's billed as a weekend toy and has giant stripes all over it and is louder than an RS.

The 991.2 GT3 will be better than this car in every way, will have a manual option, and it will be easy to get. All you have to do is find a way to live with a spoiler, which shouldn't be a problem because you wouldn't drive the R as a daily anyway. A wing should be the least of your image concerns when you're driving around town at 9000 RPM in a car with stripes.

991 R sounds like a car made for journalist and branding. 

noone1:

I don't get it.

So it's the perfect car for people who don't want to be seen with a wing, yet it's billed as a weekend toy and has giant stripes all over it and is louder than an RS.

The 991.2 GT3 will be better than this car in every way, will have a manual option, and it will be easy to get. All you have to do is find a way to live with a spoiler, which shouldn't be a problem because you wouldn't drive the R as a daily anyway. A wing should be the least of your image concerns when you're driving around town at 9000 RPM in a car with stripes.

991 R sounds like a car made for journalist and branding. 

The stripes are a no-cost option (and the "Porsche" decals cost extra).  The car comes in two standard subtle colors without stripes.  It is very low-key, unless you choose otherwise.

--

I just don't see how low-key it needs to be. It's louder than a GT3 RS inside apparently and it's a manual, so it's not like you're going to be putzing around the center of town in it. It's supposed to be an enthusiast car, so I just don't see why discretion is important for a car you're going to mainly be driving hard in the B roads where few people will see you anyway.

If you just like the looks better without a wing, that's fine, but the idea that a loud, manual, GT car needs to be low-key goes in the face of exactly why one should buy it and how they'd use it.

You are comparing it to a car that doesn't exist.

Well, plenty of 997 GT3/RS cars exist that are manual, and they just said the next GT3 is coming with a manual.

I just don't see the hype or excitement around this car. It's just a GT3 without a wing. 

noone1:

Well, plenty of 997 GT3/RS cars exist that are manual, and they just said the next GT3 is coming with a manual.

I just don't see the hype or excitement around this car. It's just a GT3 without a wing. 

I guess its appeal is more limited if the nostalgia for the 1967 911R means nothing to you and you don't value the light weight and playful handling that distinguishes it from a GT3.  And the Manual gearbox that is not "yet" available in a current GT3...

--

This car is not light enough to be a tribute to the old R. AP even said so, it is a parts bin exercise conceived in 13 months at a premium price because it is a limited run... It is a collectors car, the enthusiasts will be more happy with the GT3...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688350 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408626 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234732 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65362 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857504 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773241 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM