Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S (Facelift) - Short Driving Report

When dealer presentation/launch are planned for new Carrera's in US? 

--

964C2:
    DaveGordon:........ I wanted a red GT3 but didn't even consider the PCCBs even though I bought them on my last car and loved them - mostly due to the colour clash......

Isn't it easy to have them professionally repainted??

Not entirely easy to have them resist brake fluid and high temps.  And you really have to disassemble the brake parts to do it properly.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

SportCarGroup:

When dealer presentation/launch are planned for new Carrera's in US? 

I believe 991.2 Carrera will arrive in the US Dealerships by Mid-March. So the launch event should be around that time.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

You can get your choice of coordinating sporty brake caliper colors for free or for just a relatively modest upcharge from Jaguar, McLaren , Lambo  or even Corvette and many others now . Porsche's very longstanding " $$$/ worthiness " visual heirachy of  black( base ) , red ( sport ) and yellow ( carbon ) caliper color is very dated from a marketing standpoint 10+ years on .  

No one today  who is into sports cars of any brand or price range cares if your Porsche has carbon brakes as many , many lesser priced sporty cars have them now , even some Camaros ...geesh ...and many who track their newer GT3s spec the steel brakes .

My 2016 991 GTS Club Coupe would look so much better if its oem " Carrera Sport " forged Fuch's style matte black barrel and rim / machined-clear coated spoke face wheels were backed by black calipers, not the bright red ones that are std or the yellow ones that come with the carbon -rotored option, since all the external graphics of this special  edition car incl the front lights , rear vents, emblem badging , exhaust tips ,etc., come from the factory " blacked out " . That's why I also smoked the rear tailamps/ reflectors to match , a la GT3RS . 

Typical  forced ugly example is , for instance, building a TTS with an especially strong visual contrast in the opened up cabriolet version of a black exterior with red two- tone interior . All TTS models come std with carbon brakes and their ginormous yellow calipers would be a "  party crasher " ... introducing a Design 101 faux pas of a 3rd/4th major tone in the colorway . It would look SO much better with optioned black , red or silver painted carbon - rotor brake calipers .

--

2016  991 Carrera GTS  " PCA 60 "  Club Coupe       orig owner ; 1 of 60 

MKW:

You can get your choice of coordinating sporty brake caliper colors for free or for just a relatively modest upcharge from Jaguar, McLaren , Lambo  or even Corvette and many others now . Porsche's very longstanding " $$$/ worthiness " visual heirachy of  black( base ) , red ( sport ) and yellow ( carbon ) caliper color is very dated from a marketing standpoint 10+ years on .  

No one today  who is into sports cars of any brand or price range cares if your Porsche has carbon brakes as many , many lesser priced sporty cars have them now , even some Camaros ...geesh ...and many who track their newer GT3s spec the steel brakes .

My 2016 991 GTS Club Coupe would look so much better if its oem " Carrera Sport " forged Fuch's style matte black barrel and rim / machined-clear coated spoke face wheels were backed by black calipers, not the bright red ones that are std or the yellow ones that come with the carbon -rotored option, since all the external graphics of this special  edition car incl the front lights , rear vents, emblem badging , exhaust tips ,etc., come from the factory " blacked out " . That's why I also smoked the rear tailamps/ reflectors to match , a la GT3RS . 

Typical  forced ugly example is , for instance, building a TTS with an especially strong visual contrast in the opened up cabriolet version of a black exterior with red two- tone interior . All TTS models come std with carbon brakes and their ginormous yellow calipers would be a "  party crasher " ... introducing a Design 101 faux pas of a 3rd/4th major tone in the colorway . It would look SO much better with optioned black , red or silver painted carbon - rotor brake calipers .

--

+1000000

This combo would be my choice, looks absolutelly stunning IMHO. I would change to black rims 

porsche-991-carrera-4s-mkii-c306629012016230637_1.jpg
    porsche-991-carrera-4s-mkii-c306629012016230637_4.jpg
    porsche-991-carrera-4s-mkii-c306629012016230637_2.jpg
    porsche-991-carrera-4s-mkii-c306629012016230637_3.jpg

--

A few 991.2 we could drive when I was in Finland last January...

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

Nico997:

A few 991.2 we could drive when I was in Finland last January...

Please share your impression about the sound :)
    --

Sounds like shit.

Some dude in a 991.2 C4S passed me today and I had my window opened.

--

Not that bad but not as good as my GTS, far from that. This is the sound of the car we were driving in Finland:

https://vimeo.com/152948411

--

Nicolas

I really think the 991.2 Carrera S with sport exhaust sounds quite good for a turbo and I frankly do not understand why people are disappointed with the sound. It could have been worst, just look at the BMW M3/M4.

A comparison to the 991.1 GTS is pointless since the GTS sounds amazing, even compared to the 991.1 Carrera models.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

So, they are really that fast, or were you driving the Honda?

RC:

A comparison to the 991.1 GTS is pointless since the GTS sounds amazing, even compared to the 991.1 Carrera models.

...ehm, what is the difference between the sound of a 991.1 Carrera (w. PSE) and a 991.1 GTS? If you care to elaborate more, why is there a difference?

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Maybe some "lunatic" diehard naturally aspirated fan will buy a 991.2 and then ask trought the Porsche WERKS Department to stick a 991.1 engine there!!! I Wouldnt be suprised!!!

--
    This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nico997:

Not that bad but not as good as my GTS, far from that. This is the sound of the car we were driving in Finland:

https://vimeo.com/152948411

--

Nicolas

The video is gone Smiley

bluelines:
    RC:

...ehm, what is the difference between the sound of a 991.1 Carrera (w. PSE) and a 991.1 GTS? If you care to elaborate more, why is there a difference?

Louder, a bit raunchier and a bit more screaming in the upper rev band. Smiley Porsche changed the exhaust flap opening mapping and a bit on the intake side (GTS uses, like powerkit, a newly developed variable resonance intake system featuring 6 plus 1 switchable valves). Also, the sound symposer opens/closes a bit differently.

So yes, a GTS sounds basically like a 991 Carrera S with Powerkit but not like a Carrera S with PSE. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Maybe some "lunatic" diehard naturally aspirated fan will buy a 991.2 and then ask trought the Porsche WERKS Department to stick a 991.1 engine there!!! I Wouldnt be suprised!!!

Technically not feasible. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Louder, a bit raunchier and a bit more screaming in the upper rev band. Smiley Porsche changed the exhaust flap opening mapping and a bit on the intake side (GTS uses, like powerkit, a newly developed variable resonance intake system featuring 6 plus 1 switchable valves). Also, the sound symposer opens/closes a bit differently.

So yes, a GTS sounds basically like a 991 Carrera S with Powerkit but not like a Carrera S with PSE. 

Interesting. I have to try a GTS then to compare to my C4S.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Interesting. I have to try a GTS then to compare to my C4S.

Make sure that the GTS has at least 7000 km. My GTS started to "breath" free after around 6-7k km. Now it revs so fast to the rev limiter, I have to be careful (I drive the car most of the time in manual mode with Sport Plus active, in winter with Sport). Unfortunately, just yesterday, there was an error and Sport/Sport Plus weren't available. After I turned off the engine and waited for a minute, the error was gone. Weird.

I think the different intake actually has the biggest impact on sound but I can't say it for sure.

--

apias:
    Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

How'd you know I was in my Honda?

Just picked up my 3rd Odyssey. Hell they keep calling every 2 years to ask me to trade in. Each time the payment goes down by over $100. 

--

Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

Just picked up my 3rd Odyssey. Hell they keep calling every 2 years to ask me to trade in. Each time the payment goes down by over $100. 

"Some dude in a 991.2 C4S passed me." Seems unlikely in any of your other cars. 

Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

Do you spec your Honda Odysseys in black with yellow seatbelts / stitching too? SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Ziggy:
    Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

Do you spec your Honda Odysseys in black with yellow seatbelts / stitching too? SmileySmileySmileySmiley

I tried. Honda said I can have a choice of dark grey or light grey interior Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Ziggy:
    Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Whoopsy:

Sounds like shit.

I tried. Honda said I can have a choice of dark grey or light grey interior Smiley

This is the Odyssey you need:   http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/11/honda-fielding-11-entrants-at-pikes-peak-including-532-hp-odyss/

I've seen, and heard, this one take to the track in anger and it's one entertaining minivan.  

OMG 

--

RC:

I really think the 991.2 Carrera S with sport exhaust sounds quite good for a turbo and I frankly do not understand why people are disappointed with the sound. It could have been worst, just look at the BMW M3/M4.

I could care less how other brands' tuning of their turbo motors' exhaust sound came out whether good or bad ..what only matters to me ( and probably many other current 991.1 owners ) is how it sounds relative to the equivalent base or S model 991.1 , when comparably equipped with or without PSE !

--

Visited my dealership and they handed me the keys to a 2016 Targa and a 991.2 Cab turbo with SE.

The Targa engine didn't impress me though I loved the look of the Targa. It wasn't as noisy in the cabin as  some had criticized it for.

I then drove the new Turbocharged Porsche and what a difference. It is as Christian described it. It revs beautifully without lag and though it had 20 more HP than the Targa it felt and was MUCH faster. The SE was sound a lot better than I had anticipated. it doesn't sound like the GT3 but it had a growl which you can hear from the cabin. With the top down, you can hear distinctly. 

I was very impressed with the new 991.2 Porsche and its engine. 

While there a guy was taking delivery of a PTS Mexcian Blue RS which he was willing to wait a year for. What a spectacular looking car. I was envious. here are some pictures of me in a Targa and the RS.IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0728.JPGIMG_0767.JPG

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

U buying one then? smiley

--

Not a RS but seriously looking at a 2017 Targa. I love the look of the car and it's practically. I can get a May allocation delivery late July or early August. I must tell you the RS towers over the GT3! The car has fabulous road presence. Unfortunately it is too impractical for San Diego. 

I can understand why you love yours as mush as you do. Fwiw, the RS with options was over $225,000 which to me is crazy. Even the owner told me it was stupid money.

BTW, that's my RRS in the background. I really love it. Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

You looked good in the Targa :)

Do it.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM